Matt Bradley's message

6,748 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Stanford Jonah
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Once player leaves I have no interest in him anymore."

Also known as:

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

I hope he will transfer to Ucla. I say that even though they are in my Holy Trinity of Hate.
Matt, if you're reading this, do what you need to do for you.
Don't go half way. Go where you can get to The Dance and, if possible, still get a top degree.
If USC is amenable but Ucla isn't, that's a decent backup.
Your loyalty is not in question given the state of this program.

Why do you hope Cal's best player transfers to UCLA or U$C? Has our world gone mad?
Because each player has their own path to walk, with reasons to stay or go, and I recognize that for Matt to take his shot to reach his highest potential he needs to go, but also that reaching that elusive goal is very uncertain and statistically improbable and I hate to see people walk away from a Cal degree.

Because I'm livid about the state of this program but none of that anger is directed at the players, and particularly not at Matt.

Because we have seen this program meticulously and systematically dismantled right before our eyes with stunning speed and precision by people other than him, and why should he (or any other player for that matter) personally suffer the consequences of those intentional actions?

Because I'm gutted by this news but it's completely understandable and warranted from his perspective and for me it's just another one in a long string of guttings I've received from the basketball administration over the past 5+ years.

Because the fact that they've designed a program that can't accommodate players like Matt ****ing Bradley is an absolute travesty and all the indictment anyone should need.

Because I wish him the absolute best in everything he does and it's the same advice I would give to my own brother or son.

Of course I'd rather he stay, but his decision is made.
In light of the foregoing, I acknowledge he's making the right decision.
This is what the future looks like for us, and it ain't pretty.
We are on the cusp of unfettered free agency, where players have to want to stay because there is no penalty for leaving.
Many of the under-recruited diamonds who prove themselves in lesser programs but still aren't quite draft-ready will be leaving for better ones.
In return, better programs will be dumping their players who were overrated or just don't pan out.
The geniuses who run our sports programs have chosen a path to financial ruin.
They don't seem to see that every revenue opportunity must be maximized to its full potential to compete and survive.

Right now I would rather root for Matt Bradley to have success elsewhere than watch him languish here.

So yeah, TLDR, our world has gone crazy. I wasn't born like this, they made me this way.

I will also say that there is nothing wrong with SDSU.
I know many people who went there and they are all successful in their careers around the country and globe.
The only reason for Matt not to go to SDSU is that he's already enrolled at Cal.

All due respect to you as a Cal Basketball fan and for your graciousness towards the departing Matt Bradly.

Where I would disagree with your stance is that I would rather see him stay here for his senior season. We don't know what sort of success he is going to have elsewhere and what you you call "languishing here", I would call "starring for the California Golden Bears and earning a Cal degree".

I certainly can't disagree that Cal Basketball is at a low ebb right now, but I don't think it's quite the hellish experience that you make it out to be. Mark Fox is a decent coach and a decent guy who probably won't be able to win here (hope I'm wrong, but... ). He's not the Antichrist.

When my former significant other left me for George Clooney, I knew damn well that she was trading up, but I didn't exactly send her flowers or anything.
All due respect to you, but the world has changed since we were young. There is no reason players who are being used by universities have any responsibility to continue to be used beyond their annual commitment.
Disagree. The players are given a 4-yr commitment. They should provide the same or be expected to have some type of penalty like sitting out a year. I'm with Big C on this one. I can't fault Bradley for leaving but I don't have to be happy about it.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

I hope he will transfer to Ucla. I say that even though they are in my Holy Trinity of Hate.
Don't go half way. Go where you can get to The Dance and, if possible, still get a top degree.

Why do you hope Cal's best player transfers to UCLA or U$C? Has our world gone mad?
Because each player has their own path to walk, with reasons to stay or go, and I recognize that for Matt to take his shot to reach his highest potential he needs to go, but also that reaching that elusive goal is very uncertain and statistically improbable and I hate to see people walk away from a Cal degree.

Because I'm livid about the state of this program but none of that anger is directed at the players, and particularly not at Matt.

Because we have seen this program meticulously and systematically dismantled right before our eyes with stunning speed and precision by people other than him, and why should he (or any other player for that matter) personally suffer the consequences of those intentional actions?

Because I'm gutted by this news but it's completely understandable and warranted from his perspective and for me it's just another one in a long string of guttings I've received from the basketball administration over the past 5+ years.

Because the fact that they've designed a program that can't accommodate players like Matt ****ing Bradley is an absolute travesty and all the indictment anyone should need.

Because I wish him the absolute best in everything he does and it's the same advice I would give to my own brother or son.

We are on the cusp of unfettered free agency, where players have to want to stay because there is no penalty for leaving.
Many of the under-recruited diamonds who prove themselves in lesser programs but still aren't quite draft-ready will be leaving for better ones.
In return, better programs will be dumping their players who were overrated or just don't pan out.
They don't seem to see that every revenue opportunity must be maximized to its full potential to compete and survive.

Right now I would rather root for Matt Bradley to have success elsewhere than watch him languish here.

So yeah, TLDR, our world has gone crazy. I wasn't born like this, they made me this way.

I know many people who went there and they are all successful in their careers around the country and globe.
The only reason for Matt not to go to SDSU is that he's already enrolled at Cal.

All due respect to you as a Cal Basketball fan and for your graciousness towards the departing Matt Bradly.

Where I would disagree with your stance is that I would rather see him stay here for his senior season. We don't know what sort of success he is going to have elsewhere and what you you call "languishing here", I would call "starring for the California Golden Bears and earning a Cal degree".

I certainly can't disagree that Cal Basketball is at a low ebb right now, but I don't think it's quite the hellish experience that you make it out to be. Mark Fox is a decent coach and a decent guy who probably won't be able to win here (hope I'm wrong, but... ). He's not the Antichrist.

When my former significant other left me for George Clooney, I knew damn well that she was trading up, but I didn't exactly send her flowers or anything.
All due respect to you, but the world has changed since we were young. There is no reason players who are being used by universities have any responsibility to continue to be used beyond their annual commitment.

All due respect to you, but I prefer to preserve the facade that covers the fantasy of college sports, if for no other reason than my personal pleasure. Otherwise, why be here at all?
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Disagree. The players are given a 4-yr commitment. They should provide the same or be expected to have some type of penalty like sitting out a year. I'm with Big C on this one. I can't fault Bradley for leaving but I don't have to be happy about it.
Cal gave you a 4 year commitment and you were free to go to another school anytime you wanted.
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Cal gave you a 4 year commitment and you were free to go to another school anytime you wanted.
Nope, I paid my own way. For a fee, Cal gave me an opportunity to perform academically and couldn't have cared less if I went somewhere else.
WalterSobchak
With all due respect, this has nothing to do with what "should be" required or what used to be required.
It has everything to do with what is currently or soon-to-be required and what our competition requires.
Cal has chosen a path that, while it may be personally gratifying to some, is and will continue to be competitively catastrophic.
Simply put, Cal is consciously choosing to die rather than adapt.
oskidunker
Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Agree. When a good player leaves Cal it hurts Cal. I cant be excited following players that do damage to Cal.
Go Bears!
Chapman_is_Gone
What a lose lose situation for Bradley and the Cal program.

Matt Bradley is a fool for transferring and giving up a Cal degree. If he thinks he can play in the NBA, he could get to that destination through SDSU or Cal. Life is extremely difficult and competitive, especially if you are black, and you just don't give up on a Cal degree when you are only one year away from obtaining it.

Perhaps his "dream" is to play in the NCAA tournament. If so, then he's made the right choice. But one day, like when he's trying to explain in a job interview why his Cal "almost degree" is worth as much as a real Cal degree, he will realize that was a shortsighted goal.

Edit: There are obviously things that us fans might not know about Bradley's situation, and we don't need to know. For example -- and I have no information here, this is just an example -- it wouldn't be uncommon for a 21-year old to suffer from depression, and in that case being around family is the smart choice (I assume he has family in SD based on someone else's comment). When you see a player make a comment like "Cal saved my life" you have to wonder if a player's personal life is turbulent. Or, I can think of a few other scenarios that might justify leaving. So, I really do try not to judge. But, in a case like that, where leaving is the smart choice, I still would have advised simply taking a year off from school, and then returning to get your Cal degree.

3Cats4CAL
Yes. It didn't hurt Jaylen Brown to go to Cal and make it to the NBA altho maybe 2 different level of players?
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Nope, I paid my own way. For a fee, Cal gave me an opportunity to perform academically and couldn't have cared less if I went somewhere else.
So then those that get an academic scholarship or the many kids who get grants are required to stay or they have to sit at home not taking classes for a year. And of course back just a few years ago when Pac-12 teams could and did pull scholarships on an annual basis, you then thought that athletes should be allowed to leave without penalty.

But yours is a good argument for indentured servitude.

Let's not pretend this is anything more than being mad your team won't be as good.

The "contract" the school and player signs is essentially a 4 year player option contract. Both parties have to agree that those are adequate terms when they sign it. No one bags on a professional sports team for not picking up the option when it is a team option. No one bags on a professional athlete for not picking up the option when it is a player option. Why is it a moral issue when a college player exercises his rights.

Every young person I know in the working world is happy to get a job, use it to get trained and then leave if they get a better offer when they are experienced. The school "paid" the player to train and play for a year and the player fulfilled his obligation. If the school wanted the player to pick up his option, the school should have made the program more attractive.
BearlyCareAnymore
Chapman_is_Gone said:

What a lose lose situation for Bradley and the Cal program.

Matt Bradley is a fool for transferring and giving up a Cal degree. If he thinks he can play in the NBA, he could get to that destination through SDSU or Cal. Life is extremely difficult and competitive, especially if you are black, and you just don't give up on a Cal degree when you are only one year away from obtaining it.

Perhaps his "dream" is to play in the NCAA tournament. If so, then he's made the right choice. But one day, like when he's trying to explain in a job interview why his Cal "almost degree" is worth as much as a real Cal degree, he will realize that was a shortsighted goal.

Edit: There are obviously things that us fans might not know about Bradley's situation, and we don't need to know. For example -- and I have no information here, this is just an example -- it wouldn't be uncommon for a 21-year old to suffer from depression, and in that case being around family is the smart choice (I assume he has family in SD based on someone else's comment). When you see a player make a comment like "Cal saved my life" you have to wonder if a player's personal life is turbulent. Or, I can think of a few other scenarios that might justify leaving. So, I really do try not to judge. But, in a case like that, where leaving is the smart choice, I still would have advised simply taking a year off from school, and then returning to get your Cal degree.

Or, a kid could have different priorities. Something that many Cal fans do not seem to understand is that for many of these kids, a college degree is enough. It does not have to be an elite college degree.

It would be stupid for me to do what Bradley is doing. And, if I were Bradley I absolutely would only transfer to a school that would give him a high reputation degree so I could get the best of both. Honestly, I think that is a bad move.

But I also think that for a kid who is a very good, but not elite talent like Brown or Kidd, it is just not accurate to act like Cal gives them the same chance of having the best basketball career they can have, whether in the NBA or elsewhere. If a kid wants to go to film school, they should not choose Cal over NYU. Bradley is not learning from the best here and he is frankly not learning good basketball habits on a team that is overwhelmingly not of the same caliber as he is. Cal has given him everything it is going to give him in basketball. If he wants to learn more and be a better player in his last year, he has to go elsewhere. There absolutely is a difference in his chosen field. And if you want to say he doesn't have that much of a chance at a career in his chosen field, okay, that is true of most athletes, artists, actors, entrepreneurs (who are not rich to start). And he is not choosing between basketball and homeless. He is giving up some value in the level of his college degree in exchange for increasing his value in his chosen field. And honestly, for basketball, Bradley is going to have a career if that is what he wants. There are plenty of reasonably lucrative opportunities outside the NBA. It isn't like football where it is NFL or bust.

I can easily name two players who made a ton of money because Cal changed football coaches - Boller and Asomugha. Never would have been that successful if Holmoe stayed through their college careers. I would have told any kid when Tedford was coach that if they were NFL quality, Cal would get them there as well as anyone else. You just can't say that because a top 5 pick like Brown could go to the NBA through Cal that a guy like Bradley can.

I would never argue that an athlete with no career aspirations should make any concessions to academic reputation to "have fun". I do not see how arguing that Cal gives Bradley the best chance at maximizing his basketball career passes the red face test.

And, frankly, he was clearly disciplined a few times. I have no idea whether that was warranted or not, but it doesn't make sense to stay in a place if that was going to continue.
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

So then those that get an academic scholarship or the many kids who get grants are required to stay or they have to sit at home not taking classes for a year. And of course back just a few years ago when Pac-12 teams could and did pull scholarships on an annual basis, you then thought that athletes should be allowed to leave without penalty.

Let's not pretend this is anything more than being mad your team won't be as good.

The "contract" the school and player signs is essentially a 4 year player option contract. Both parties have to agree that those are adequate terms when they sign it. No one bags on a professional sports team for not picking up the option when it is a team option. No one bags on a professional athlete for not picking up the option when it is a player option. Why is it a moral issue when a college player exercises his rights.

Every young person I know in the working world is happy to get a job, use it to get trained and then leave if they get a better offer when they are experienced. The school "paid" the player to train and play for a year and the player fulfilled his obligation. If the school wanted the player to pick up his option, the school should have made the program more attractive.
Nope again. If the "contract" allows for options then both parties know and agree to what they are committing to. In this case, the NCAA is changing the rules midstream which is allowing Bradley to bail on his commitment without penalty. Again, yes he is within his rights to do so, but the school (or employer, or just me) don't have to be happy about it.

You did get one thing right though. If Bradley wasn't contributing to the program then I wouldn't care. In fact, the program would likely happily release him from his commitment.

I must say though, for someone that supposedly doesn't care about the program or what non-family members think, you sure spend a lot of time and cyberspace trying to get others to think like you.
BearlyCareAnymore
Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Nope again. If the "contract" allows for options then both parties know and agree to what they are committing to. In this case, the NCAA is changing the rules midstream which is allowing Bradley to bail on his commitment without penalty. Again, yes he is within his rights to do so, but the school (or employer, or just me) don't have to be happy about it.

You did get one thing right though. If Bradley wasn't contributing to the program then I wouldn't care. In fact, the program would likely happily release him from his commitment.

I must say though, for someone that supposedly doesn't care about the program or what non-family members think, you sure spend a lot of time and cyberspace trying to get others to think like you.

See your last comment just shows you are the little asshat who can't handle different opinions. Basically, I'd argue it is because you know your position is just selfish and it is uncomfortable. I don't care about making people uncomfortable.

You had the same opinion when schools were free to yank scholarships annually. You aren't upset with Bradley breaking his commitment to Cal. You are upset with him breaking his non-commitment to you.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

See your last comment just shows you are the little asshat who can't handle different opinions. Basically, I'd argue it is because you know your position is just selfish and it is uncomfortable. I don't care about making people uncomfortable.

You had the same opinion when schools were free to yank scholarships annually. You aren't upset with Bradley breaking his commitment to Cal. You are upset with him breaking his non-commitment to you.

Without trying to speak for others, though I might well be, I freely admit that my position on this is selfish.

1. Bradley's departure hurts Cal and I am a Cal fan.

2. He has the right to transfer and is opting to exercise that right. So be it. All I'm saying is, I've really liked Bradley, but now I like him less because he's transferring. He has the right to leave and I have the right to not like it. The thing with Bradley, I've liked him SO MUCH that he still gets a net "like" from me, even as he leaves. "So sincere best wishes, Matt (but no flowers). Please don't go to one of our rivals." This is something I could actually say to his face and I think he'd even appreciate it.
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

LOL, now you are just coming off as desperate with the namecalling from your keyboard. Clearly it is you that has the problem with differing opinions.

Yeah, I've pretty much always had the same opinion about players leaving for greener pastures, and I'm glad they had to a least sit out a year when making that choice. And although I don't think it has happened since I have been following Cal, I wouldn't have been happy with Cal yanking scollies either (you can check my posts when Jones tried it with Winston and McCollough). I am perfectly comfortable with that position, and I don't mind that it bothers you so.
BeachedBear
OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Edited to remove response. Sent you a PM
Post removed:
by user
oskidunker
Especially San Diego Stiink'n State.
Go Bears!
annarborbear
So what advice would you give to your own child? I think I would have said. 'You are close to getting a high value degree. Go in the transfer portal and see if you can get an offer from a similar university with a better basketball program that promises to make you a starter. If not, pull back and stay at Cal to get your degree, and then use the extra year of eligibility from Covid to grad transfer." Would my kid have listened to me? Probably not.
socaliganbear
SDSU it is. What a pathetic state of the program.
calumnus
Stanford Jonah said:

Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

calfanz said:

Hope he goes to a top 10 team such as gonzaga, alabama, michigan, etc
Highly likely Matt will go to San Diego State - wants to play near his family and he also does not feel its right to transfer to another Pac12 school i.e. USC (who reached out to him). Big loss for the program and the staff, very disappointed to see him leave - nothing but wishes for his basketball growth, outstanding young man. He wants to develop the rest of his game, take on more leadership roles and experience winning. He sincerely will miss Berkeley, not finishing his Cal degree and his Church in Oakland. However Basketball growth won out.
I'm not sure I get the point of transferring from Cal to San Diego State,
I'm not sure I get why people continue to think 4thGenCal is an astute observer of Cal sports.

He is apparently an insider and I therefore value the info he provides, even if is just insight into what the insiders are thinking, not that I usually agree with it.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.