Matt Bradley's message

6,689 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Stanford Jonah
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://instagr.am/p/CNd1MfVD0BA
socaltownie
Link broken. What did it say? Full separation or hope for a return?
socaliganbear
socaltownie said:

Link broken. What did it say? Full separation or hope for a return?
It's a goodbye post.
calfanz
Hope he goes to a top 10 team such as gonzaga, alabama, michigan, etc
HoopDreams
I don't usually do this, but took a screen capture ...

4thGenCal
calfanz said:

Highly likely Matt will go to San Diego State - wants to play near his family and he also does not feel its right to transfer to another Pac12 school i.e. USC (who reached out to him). Big loss for the program and the staff, very disappointed to see him leave - nothing but wishes for his basketball growth, outstanding young man. He wants to develop the rest of his game, take on more leadership roles and experience winning. He sincerely will miss Berkeley, not finishing his Cal degree and his Church in Oakland. However Basketball growth won out.
75bear
I wish Matt well - I understand why he made the decision.
WalterSobchak
I hope he will transfer to Ucla. I say that even though they are in my Holy Trinity of Hate.
Matt, if you're reading this, do what you need to do for you.
Don't go half way. Go where you can get to The Dance and, if possible, still get a top degree.
If USC is amenable but Ucla isn't, that's a decent backup.
Your loyalty is not in question given the state of this program.
stu
+1 for UCLA
helltopay1
Dear 75. And, the reason is????
Big C
WalterSobchak said:

I hope he will transfer to Ucla. I say that even though they are in my Holy Trinity of Hate.
Don't go half way. Go where you can get to The Dance and, if possible, still get a top degree.

Why do you hope Cal's best player transfers to UCLA or U$C? Has our world gone mad?
Big C
4thGenCal said:

calfanz said:

Highly likely Matt will go to San Diego State - wants to play near his family and he also does not feel its right to transfer to another Pac12 school i.e. USC (who reached out to him). Big loss for the program and the staff, very disappointed to see him leave - nothing but wishes for his basketball growth, outstanding young man. He wants to develop the rest of his game, take on more leadership roles and experience winning. He sincerely will miss Berkeley, not finishing his Cal degree and his Church in Oakland. However Basketball growth won out.

I'm not sure I get the point of transferring from Cal to San Diego State,
calumnus
Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

calfanz said:

Yeah, I don't get that either.
socaltownie
Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

calfanz said:

At present, FAR better basketball program. They pulled a ****ty draw in Syracuse this year but they are built to get to the second weekend.
socaliganbear
SDSU makes sense.
1) He'll be close to home
2) He'll have far better facilities
3) He'll experience what playing in front of lots of fans is like

Most importantly, I would think

4) The team is expected to contend for a conference title and make the tourney
5) But not be so talented that he wouldn't get significant playing time

IMO his prospects seem better there than anywhere in CA.
BeachedBear
socaltownie said:

Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

calfanz said:

At present, FAR better basketball program. They pulled a ****ty draw in Syracuse this year but they are built to get to the second weekend.
One of my kids graduated from SDSU recently. Their experience (and mine as a parent) was much more like my experience at Cal as a student in the 80s. I honestly was blown away and my perceptions of SDSU (that were formed when I was college age) were totally turned around. At every facet - it seemed to me that SDSU was much more in tune with their students, alumnni, community and other shareholders. While I don't follow their bball program as closely, I am not surprised that it out performs Cal.

Prior to the pandemic, I had the opportunity to meet with Adele De La Torre as well Carol Christ. IMHO, Adele was superior to Carol (who was wearing a Red coat at the time and didn't get the joke, when I said "Take Off That Red Shirt"). Now comparing Carol to Dirks and predecessors - I think she is far superior, albeit she gave me the sense she was just filling in temporarily until they find a replacement. Now I'm just an alumni and don't influence these decisions, but they should look at Adele, when interviewing Carols replacement.

FWIW - all of my kids qualified for Cal, but NONE were accepted
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Why do you hope Cal's best player transfers to UCLA or U$C? Has our world gone mad?
I don't agree with it, but I think for some our program is so far out of the picture that it doesn't matter to us anymore and they want what is best academically for a guy who did serve us well.
BulaBear3cubs
Our program is so pathetic that I'm jealous of Washington st. who got a top transfer Flowers yesterday.
bearister
I liked Dirks' hair. At least we'll always have that.....and you kinda have to respect it.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
WalterSobchak
Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Because each player has their own path to walk, with reasons to stay or go, and I recognize that for Matt to take his shot to reach his highest potential he needs to go, but also that reaching that elusive goal is very uncertain and statistically improbable and I hate to see people walk away from a Cal degree.

Because I'm livid about the state of this program but none of that anger is directed at the players, and particularly not at Matt.

Because we have seen this program meticulously and systematically dismantled right before our eyes with stunning speed and precision by people other than him, and why should he (or any other player for that matter) personally suffer the consequences of those intentional actions?

Because I'm gutted by this news but it's completely understandable and warranted from his perspective and for me it's just another one in a long string of guttings I've received from the basketball administration over the past 5+ years.

Because the fact that they've designed a program that can't accommodate players like Matt ****ing Bradley is an absolute travesty and all the indictment anyone should need.

Because I wish him the absolute best in everything he does and it's the same advice I would give to my own brother or son.

Of course I'd rather he stay, but his decision is made.
In light of the foregoing, I acknowledge he's making the right decision.
This is what the future looks like for us, and it ain't pretty.
We are on the cusp of unfettered free agency, where players have to want to stay because there is no penalty for leaving.
Many of the under-recruited diamonds who prove themselves in lesser programs but still aren't quite draft-ready will be leaving for better ones.
In return, better programs will be dumping their players who were overrated or just don't pan out.
The geniuses who run our sports programs have chosen a path to financial ruin.
They don't seem to see that every revenue opportunity must be maximized to its full potential to compete and survive.

Right now I would rather root for Matt Bradley to have success elsewhere than watch him languish here.

So yeah, TLDR, our world has gone crazy. I wasn't born like this, they made me this way.

I will also say that there is nothing wrong with SDSU.
I know many people who went there and they are all successful in their careers around the country and globe.
The only reason for Matt not to go to SDSU is that he's already enrolled at Cal.
Bobodeluxe
Everyone's hero, Conzo "NBA defense" Martin built the foundation.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

I don't agree with it, but I think for some our program is so far out of the picture that it doesn't matter to us anymore and they want what is best academically for a guy who did serve us well.

Wait, now a Cal-to-SDSU transfer is "best academically", too?!? Or did you mean to write "athletically" there?
[Edit: An Emily Litella "Never mind." on the above two sentences. The rest below still stands though.]

If Bradley were to transfer to UCLA or U$C, doesn't that then start to become BrennanScarlettesque? And I remember (and agree with) your position on that one.

Look, I LOVED Bradley as a player here... and just his whole persona and what it added to the team. I wish him well and will get through this with minimal bad feelings. He has my respect and admiration. However, I'm not going so far as to send him a dozen roses for this. He leaves Cal to transfer to another school prior to his senior year, he loses points on my scorecard. And being the competitor that he is, I'm sure he understands and appreciates my stance.

"Yay!" for just about everything about Matt Bradley. "Boo!" for him choosing to leave.
socaltownie
BeachedBear said:

socaltownie said:

Big C said:

4thGenCal said:

calfanz said:

One of my kids graduated from SDSU recently. Their experience (and mine as a parent) was much more like my experience at Cal as a student in the 80s. I honestly was blown away and my perceptions of SDSU (that were formed when I was college age) were totally turned around. At every facet - it seemed to me that SDSU was much more in tune with their students, alumnni, community and other shareholders. While I don't follow their bball program as closely, I am not surprised that it out performs Cal.

Prior to the pandemic, I had the opportunity to meet with Adele De La Torre as well Carol Christ. IMHO, Adele was superior to Carol (who was wearing a Red coat at the time and didn't get the joke, when I said "Take Off That Red Shirt"). Now comparing Carol to Dirks and predecessors - I think she is far superior, albeit she gave me the sense she was just filling in temporarily until they find a replacement. Now I'm just an alumni and don't influence these decisions, but they should look at Adele, when interviewing Carols replacement.

FWIW - all of my kids qualified for Cal, but NONE were accepted
This. One of the key things that SDSU does it pipeline its grads for starting their career in the regional labor market. If you want to go work for a top 5 consulting company or get a tenure track job and thus a top 5 phd program cal is great but SDSU does an excellent job for what it is designed to do.

Now one caveat, at least the last time I checked (2-3 years ago) the APR for SDSU basketball was HORRIBLE and would never be tolerated by Cal.
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Wait, now a Cal-to-SDSU transfer is "best academically", too?!? Or did you mean to write "athletically" there?

If Bradley were to transfer to UCLA or U$C, doesn't that then start to become BrennanScarlettesque? And I remember (and agree with) your position on that one.

Look, I LOVED Bradley as a player here... and just his whole persona and what it added to the team. I wish him well and will get through this with minimal bad feelings. He has my respect and admiration. However, I'm not going so far as to send him a dozen roses for this. He leaves Cal to transfer to another school prior to his senior year, he loses points on my scorecard. And being the competitor that he is, I'm sure he understands and appreciates my stance.

"Yay!" for just about everything about Matt Bradley. "Boo!" for him choosing to leave.
You need to reread the thread of the conversation. The point was that UCLA and USC would be better academically than SDSU. Your question was why people would hope he transfers to USC or UCLA.
ColoradoBear
Just read that the p12 is expected to remove the one year redshirt requirement for intraconference hoops and football transfers... IF the NCAA also removes the one year rule - decision expected April 15th.

At the moment, I think the p12 needs all the talent it has to stay in conference to keep momentum from the tourney going. Could have a significant impact on the next TV contract both in exposure and money.

UCLA or USC are not Furd. Hope Bradley ends up at a power conf school.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

You need to reread the thread of the conversation. The point was that UCLA and USC would be better academically than SDSU. Your question was why people would hope he transfers to USC or UCLA.

Ah, got it. Getting my threads and posts tangled up...
oskidunker
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

[Edit: An Emily Litella "Never mind." on the above two sentences. The rest below still stands though.]

Once player leaves I have no interest in him anymore.
Go Bears!
calumnus
WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Because each player has their own path to walk, with reasons to stay or go, and I recognize that for Matt to take his shot to reach his highest potential he needs to go, but also that reaching that elusive goal is very uncertain and statistically improbable and I hate to see people walk away from a Cal degree.

Because I'm livid about the state of this program but none of that anger is directed at the players, and particularly not at Matt.

Because we have seen this program meticulously and systematically dismantled right before our eyes with stunning speed and precision by people other than him, and why should he (or any other player for that matter) personally suffer the consequences of those intentional actions?

Because I'm gutted by this news but it's completely understandable and warranted from his perspective and for me it's just another one in a long string of guttings I've received from the basketball administration over the past 5+ years.

Because the fact that they've designed a program that can't accommodate players like Matt ****ing Bradley is an absolute travesty and all the indictment anyone should need.

Because I wish him the absolute best in everything he does and it's the same advice I would give to my own brother or son.

We are on the cusp of unfettered free agency, where players have to want to stay because there is no penalty for leaving.
Many of the under-recruited diamonds who prove themselves in lesser programs but still aren't quite draft-ready will be leaving for better ones.
In return, better programs will be dumping their players who were overrated or just don't pan out.
They don't seem to see that every revenue opportunity must be maximized to its full potential to compete and survive.

Right now I would rather root for Matt Bradley to have success elsewhere than watch him languish here.

So yeah, TLDR, our world has gone crazy. I wasn't born like this, they made me this way.

I know many people who went there and they are all successful in their careers around the country and globe.
The only reason for Matt not to go to SDSU is that he's already enrolled at Cal.

Well said
calumnus
Bobodeluxe said:

Recruiting Bradley? Yes, I believe he did, but Bradley signed with Jones.
Big C
calumnus said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Recruiting Bradley? Yes, I believe he did, but Bradley signed with Jones.

Bradley played his first year under Jones.
Big C
WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

All due respect to you as a Cal Basketball fan and for your graciousness towards the departing Matt Bradly.

Where I would disagree with your stance is that I would rather see him stay here for his senior season. We don't know what sort of success he is going to have elsewhere and what you you call "languishing here", I would call "starring for the California Golden Bears and earning a Cal degree".

I certainly can't disagree that Cal Basketball is at a low ebb right now, but I don't think it's quite the hellish experience that you make it out to be. Mark Fox is a decent coach and a decent guy who probably won't be able to win here (hope I'm wrong, but...). He's not the Antichrist.

When my former significant other left me for George Clooney, I knew damn well that she was trading up, but I didn't exactly send her flowers or anything.
oskidunker
Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

All due respect to you as a Cal Basketball fan and for your graciousness towards the departing Matt Bradly.

Where I would disagree with your stance is that I would rather see him stay here for his senior season. We don't know what sort of success he is going to have elsewhere and what you you call "languishing here", I would call "starring for the California Golden Bears and earning a Cal degree".

I certainly can't disagree that Cal Basketball is at a low ebb right now, but I don't think it's quite the hellish experience that you make it out to be. Mark Fox is a decent coach and a decent guy who probably won't be able to win here (hope I'm wrong, but... ). He's not the Antichrist.

When my former significant other left me for George Clooney, I knew damn well that she was trading up, but I didn't exactly send her flowers or anything.
Agree. Been there.
Go Bears!
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

As I said, I don't agree with it. I would feel about the same about a player transferring to UCLA or USC as Stanford. He will have lots of options, I think he should stay away from rivals.

I have zero problems with him transferring (and had no problem with Scarlett transferring, just where he went). In particular with Bradley, he owes nothing. He is 50 times better than the rest of the team. He would be insane not to leave. Three years is more than anyone can expect.

What I think you are seeing from some others is that, accepting that Bradley is transferring, we are completely uncompetitive with UCLA and USC. So I think to them it is so bad that it is now irrelevant to us if UCLA or USC get better. Therefore, given that they like Bradley, they would like to see him go to a better academic institution than SDSU.
BearlyCareAnymore
oskidunker said:

Big C said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Once player leaves I have no interest in him anymore.
Yes, you proudly proclaim this every time someone transfers. I fully understand not giving a shyte about our student athletes beyond them running and jumping for your entertainment. I don't get not understanding how bad it sounds to say it every time
BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

Big C said:

WalterSobchak said:

I certainly can't disagree that Cal Basketball is at a low ebb right now, but I don't think it's quite the hellish experience that you make it out to be. Mark Fox is a decent coach and a decent guy who probably won't be able to win here (hope I'm wrong, but... ). He's not the Antichrist.

All due respect to you, but the world has changed since we were young. There is no reason players who are being used by universities have any responsibility to continue to be used beyond their annual commitment.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.