Wyking Jones hired by Washington as an assistant coach

7,328 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stu
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It should reduce the payout for us. Good luck to them. They are excited about him replacing Cameron Dollar and working with the big men.
Go Bears!
bearister
I refuse to be baited.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
oskidunker
https://www.si.com/college/washington/basketball/ex-cal-coach-wyking-jones-added-to-hopkins-uw-staff-as-an-assistant

Referred by sfcity?
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
oskidunker said:

It should reduce the payout for us. Good luck to them. They are excited about him replacing Cameron Dollar and working with the big men.

Are we sure it reduces our payout?

I'm pretty sure this is mostly about recruiting, and it's the first thing UW said. I'm sure he will have fond things to say about Cal when we are recruiting the same player
bearister
"He'll be asked to help right a Husky program.....and basically help Hopkins save his job."

Although this could be blasted 550 feet to center....No comment.

SFCityBear
oskidunker said:

https://www.si.com/college/washington/basketball/ex-cal-coach-wyking-jones-added-to-hopkins-uw-staff-as-an-assistant

Referred by sfcity?
Yeah, right.

I've said more than once that Wyking Jones couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag, but he won't be required to do that at UW. He'll be an assistant. All I really know about Dollar is that he was responsible for landing some good recruits, and Wyking at Cal recruited a couple of good ones, so presumably, that is one thing UW will expect of him. He will have to up his game on that a little. As to another possible task UW may give him, that is coaching individual player development, Wyking was likely credible in that area, especially with big men, a position he himself played in college. I don't think Pitino keeps him around unless he could do some things well, and that was probably one skill he had. I think Okoroh improved some under him. It's hard to know what assistants do, because all their work is mostly done behind the scenes at practice, scouting or recruiting. Dollar was a point guard himself, and likely worked with guards at UW, not bigs like I suppose Wyking worked with in his assistant coach jobs. It may be difficult attracting good assistants to a program that needs rebuilding, so I am happy Wyking found a job. He was so bad at being a head coach, it could have reflected on his ability to remain in basketball, or so I thought, but I was wrong. He tried hard at Cal. I wish him good luck.
SFCityBear
BearSD
Let's all take the high road and hope that UW now enjoys the same level of success that WJ brought to Cal.
calumnus
BearSD said:

Let's all take the high road and hope that UW now enjoys the same level of success that WJ brought to Cal.

We were actually pretty successful the two years with him as an assistant.
Big C
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

Wyking was a good Assistant and is a good guy. He wasn't prepared to hit the ground running that first year as HC. Best of luck to him at UW, but not against us.

[Edit: My first sentence above is currently under challenge, including by some people closer to the situation than I am.]
bearister
Yeah, I'm sure Theo would agree with all of that...especially the good guy part.
socaliganbear
bearister said:

Yeah, I'm sure Theo would agree with all of that...especially the good guy part.

I'd forgotten that one of the side effects of hiring Wyking was running off one of our rising coaching alumni. Fun!
stu
HoopDreams said:

I'm pretty sure this is mostly about recruiting, and it's the first thing UW said. I'm sure he will have fond things to say about Cal when we are recruiting the same player
I wonder if that includes recruiting Brown, Kelly, and Thorpe.
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

bearister said:

I'd forgotten that one of the side effects of hiring Wyking was running off one of our rising coaching alumni. Fun!

Disagreements and parting of ways can happen between professionals who are good people. However I never want to see a Cal student athlete who was given a scholarship and is doing their best get run off of the team because the coach misjudged their talent and decided he should not have offered a scholarship in the first place. My loyalty is to the student athletes. Wyking made a rookie mistake but the guys he brought in should not have had to pay for it and doing so ruined his reputation for being a "good guy" in my book.
Big C
Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

Wyking was a good Assistant and is a good guy. He wasn't prepared to hit the ground running that first year as HC. Best of luck to him at UW, but not against us.

bearister replied, "Yeah, I'm sure Theo would agree with all of that... especially the good guy part."

Okay, I may have spoken too soon. Frankly, I was influenced by a recent tweet of EricBear (Eric McDonough), in which he described Wyking as a really good dude.

I just read Shocky's latest, which goes 180 degrees counter to the assertion in my above post. Everybody go read what shocky wrote, while it is still there.
Civil Bear
Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

bearister replied, "Yeah, I'm sure Theo would agree with all of that... especially the good guy part."

Okay, I may have spoken too soon. Frankly, I was influenced by a recent tweet of EricBear (Eric McDonough), in which he described Wyking as a really good dude.

I just read Shocky's latest, which goes 180 degrees counter to the assertion in my above post. Everybody go read what shocky wrote, while it is still there.
Um, no.
BearForce2
oskidunker said:

we're still paying for the Wyking?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Big C
BearForce2 said:

oskidunker said:

Signed 5 year contract; got released after two. We're paying him for one more year, unless they negotiated something else when he left (lump sum buyout or something).
PtownBear1
BearForce2 said:

oskidunker said:

In more ways than one...
bearister
"Summary: In short, Wyking Jones is scheduled to make $1M per year over the course of five years. It's a five-year, $5M deal. He'll receive additional bonuses provided the team reaches certain academic and athletic goals."

GoldenBearReport - Breakdown of Wyking Jones' contract

https://cal.rivals.com/news/breakdown-of-wyking-jones-contract

*It takes most of us schmucks with Cal degrees a fair stretch of years to earn that kind of scratch. My coaching career ended after my son graduated grammar school. With that said, for one fifth of that annual pay, I would have been willing to helm the Bears for one season, and I would make a substantial side bet at a sports book that I would not lose 16 games in a row.*

*Naturally, I would hook SFCityBear up with a burner so that he could send me in game text messages with his thoughts. I would also wear Google glasses so that I could read the BI game thread and take advantage of the benefits of "coaching by committee." Last, but not least, instead of windmill slamming bottles of water during games, I would gently and discretely sip from a thermos full of pre blended Manhattans (to calm the game jitters).

BearlyCareAnymore
Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

Shocky has been proven wrong on many assertions including direct things about coaching searches. No idea about Wyking, but there is zero reason to take anything Shocky says seriously - something I guess people have forgotten in his absence. Eric, on the other hand usually doesn't say things he can't vouch for and doesn't say things to make himself look important.

Shocky also posted that a program run by Mark Fox offered a recruit $200K without any evidence. No one confuses me for Mark Fox's biggest fan, but making those accusations on a fan board for the guy's current employer is bullshyte.
Fyght4Cal
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

Shocky has been proven wrong on many assertions including direct things about coaching searches. No idea about Wyking, but there is zero reason to take anything Shocky says seriously - something I guess people have forgotten in his absence. Eric, on the other hand usually doesn't say things he can't vouch for and doesn't say things to make himself look important.

Shocky also posted that a program run by Mark Fox offered a recruit $200K without any evidence. No one confuses me for Mark Fox's biggest fan, but making those accusations on a fan board for the guy's current employer is bullshyte.
With all due respect sir, you've been quite the crankypants lately. So I sincerely ask the following question. Are you ok?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
tsubamoto2001
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

LOL. Some of the mods on here defended Wyking till the end, even when it was clear he was a jerk...and even took his side in the whole Theo episode. Shocky's info sounds way more accurate than any of the stuff the mods were letting out (mostly to protect their access to the program). Shocky was an actual booster to Cal Hoops for awhile. Yes, he's unfiltered most of the time, which you either like or not, but he provides value.
BearlyCareAnymore
tsubamoto2001 said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

LOL. Some of the mods on here defended Wyking till the end, even when it was clear he was a jerk...and even took his side in the whole Theo episode. Shocky's info sounds way more accurate than any of the stuff the mods were letting out (mostly to protect their access to the program). Shocky was an actual booster to Cal Hoops for awhile. Yes, he's unfiltered most of the time, which you either like or not, but he provides value.

That is specifically not true of Eric.
BearlyCareAnymore
Fyght4Cal said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

With all due respect sir, you've been quite the crankypants lately. So I sincerely ask the following question. Are you ok?

So then you accept his assertion that a program run by Mark Fox tried to pay a recruit $200K?
philbert
OaktownBear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

So then you accept his assertion that a program run by Mark Fox tried to pay a recruit $200K?
What if it was a booster that was tired of Fox's mediocre recruiting and made the offer directly to Brown? I'm sure there have been similar instances in the past.
calumnus
philbert said:

OaktownBear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

What if it was a booster that was tired of Fox's mediocre recruiting and made the offer directly to Brown? I'm sure there have been similar instances in the past.

The SEC is full of bag men:
https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players
Fyght4Cal
OaktownBear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

I really don't give a **** about all this who-shot-John. You are a poster whose views I've enjoyed reading over the years. But in thread after thread, lately, you've been downright disagreeable. So, I ask again, are you ok?
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
Civil Bear
OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

^^THIS^^

I haven't agreed with OTB on much lately but he is spot on here. Folks need to take anything the shockster says with a truckload of salt.
BearlyCareAnymore
Fyght4Cal said:

OaktownBear said:

Fyght4Cal said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

I really don't give a **** about all this who-shot-John. You are a poster whose views I've enjoyed reading over the years. But in thread after thread, lately, you've been downright disagreeable. So, I ask again, are you ok?

This is not my battle. I don't really care about Jones and I doubt he cares what any of us think any more. If you guys want to believe Shocks, it is not my concern. Okay by me.

If it makes you feel better to attack me personally, I can't stop you.
BearForce2
Big C said:

BearForce2 said:

oskidunker said:

Signed 5 year contract; got released after two. We're paying him for one more year, unless they negotiated something else when he left (lump sum buyout or something).
ouch!
Chapman_is_Gone
Actually, he is despised by many on this board.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

^^THIS^^

I haven't agreed with OTB on much lately but he is spot on here. Folks need to take anything the shockster says with a truckload of salt.

Oh absolutely. I mean, the "inside info" we hear about Cal Football and Basketball... it ALL has to be looked at with a critical eye. You gather in multiple sources, which have varying degrees of credibility, then try and piece together the truth.

I happen to like Shocky's posts because he brings the enthusiasm, which is sorely lacking around the program, but I don't necessarily believe every last thing he says. I will say that his version of what went down with Theo Robertson does align with the more vague versions I have gotten from other sources. I tend to think most of Shocky's info is good. Grain of salt? Always.
HoopDreams
Big C said:

Civil Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

Big C said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

BearSD said:

^^THIS^^

Oh absolutely. I mean, the "inside info" we hear about Cal Football and Basketball... it ALL has to be looked at with a critical eye. You gather in multiple sources, which have varying degrees of credibility, then try and piece together the truth.

I happen to like Shocky's posts because he brings the enthusiasm, which is sorely lacking around the program, but I don't necessarily believe every last thing he says. I will say that his version of what went down with Theo Robertson does tend to align with the more vague versions I have gotten from other sources. I tend to think most of Shocky's info is good. Grain of salt? Always.
agree that you can't take anything as fact, especially because there are always two (or more) sides of a story

I will say in Shocky's case, he puts himself out there (doesn't hide behind an anonymous internet handle), talked to a lot of the coaches and players, was always talking to people related to Cal basketball (NBA scouts, former players, HS coaches, even the Cal guy in charge of game day security), and was a significant donor that gave him some inside info/insight into the program

when I watched a game courtside with him (he gave me the tixs for free), players acknowledged him during pregame (fist bump, nod, etc) and he introduced me to Coach G at halftime (who was attending the game)

there are only a small handful of other posters on all the Cal sites combined that can honestly say the same

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.