Monster Thread redux

7,947 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KenBurnski
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom said:

Some of that stuff is pretty funny.
Surely the university cannot get involved with hosting content where people swear and say all sorts of garbage. That would open them up to so much criticism. I'm surprised you didn't see that.
Also funny that you are nearly demanding a seat at the table on a number of things, yet, dude, you are merely a poster on a free public social media site. This is not The Table.
Anyways, good intentions...

I also think being "independent journalists" allows contact with recruits for interviews, etc.

If there were stronger connections with the university then the NCAA can get involved and deem contacts with recruits by the university affiliated website as part of recruitment of the player and penalize the school for "impermissible contact."
oskidunker
AunBear89 said:

Let's be honest: none of these things would matter (or, they would matter a lot less) if we had football and basketball teams that were worth talking about.

We are all here ( most of us, anyway) because of our love of Cal sports and the spot they hold in our lives. Football is meh, and both hoops teams are BDWs, so it is only natural that we focus on the negatives - both about the teams and the site. If we were reflecting on second weekend runs in both hoops tournaments, and a bowl season in football, the pop ups and other esthetic issues would be less of a topic.

The football team gets to bowls but never has a winning record in the conference..by Nov 1, we are out of contention for the conference championship game . Its just not very interesting.
panda
I just find it hilarious some thread I started years ago while drunk as hell is still running after all these years... especially considering I dont even have access to that account anymore.

Go Giants! Vogey still has more [legit] rings than Kershaw.
concordtom
HoopDreams said:

Everyone is a critic

It's the way of free anonymous internet boards

This site is the best of the cal boards. They have costs like every other business. Many free sites are paid for by ads, and the best sites have a paid subscription option with no ads

They've built custom internet software without the support of the big company support, they donate money to cal athletics with their profits

They listened to non-paying subscribers and took down the pop ups

Are they running the perfect site? Do they moderate the site perfectly and fairly 100% of the time? Do I agree with every decision they make?

No, but I also don't have the visibility of all the factors that go into their decisions. Even if I do, it's their site, their investment, and their business risk

Exactly. So the whiners can sit down and shut up!
concordtom
AunBear89 said:

Let's be honest: none of these things would matter (or, they would matter a lot less) if we had football and basketball teams that were worth talking about.

Lol.
Agreed.
Thanks for the laugh at the end of a busy day!
concordtom
calumnus said:

concordtom said:

Some of that stuff is pretty funny.
Surely the university cannot get involved with hosting content where people swear and say all sorts of garbage. That would open them up to so much criticism. I'm surprised you didn't see that.
Also funny that you are nearly demanding a seat at the table on a number of things, yet, dude, you are merely a poster on a free public social media site. This is not The Table.
Anyways, good intentions...

I also think being "independent journalists" allows contact with recruits for interviews, etc.

If there were stronger connections with the university then the NCAA can get involved and deem contacts with recruits by the university affiliated website as part of recruitment of the player and penalize the school for "impermissible contact."
Yeah, good point.
It's an advantage to be at some arms length.
BearForce2
AunBear89 said:

We are all here ( most of us, anyway) because of our love of Cal sports and the spot they hold in our lives. Football is meh, and both hoops teams are BDWs, so it is only natural that we focus on the negatives - both about the teams and the site. If we were reflecting on second weekend runs in both hoops tournaments, and a bowl season in football, the pop ups and other esthetic issues would be less of a topic.

Ok then, thanks for you permission to be negative about your thread.
HoopDreams
cal should do something like this at halftime:

concordtom
With no disrespect to the very brave girl, I've liked pretty much all your posts over the years. :-)

You've GOT to be kidding me!
BeachedBear
HoopDreams said:

cal should do something like this at halftime:

Thanks I can save a few $$$$ each season, because this might be the straw to keep me from renewing my season tickets.
HoopDreams
Would you rather watch students in big beach balls bouncing off each other?
Chapman_is_Gone
I personally cannot stand dancing children. The only thing that is worse is BearGrowl...

Bring on the frisbee dogs...
bearister
Chapman_is_Gone said:

I personally cannot stand dancing children. The only thing that is worse is BearGrowl...

Bring on the frisbee dogs...

Always teach your children never to perform tricks for treasure. If they do, they should turn down anything but the winning prize. Participation trophies are for pu$$ies.

*When Jimmy Connors was a junior player as a boy, he lost a match and his mother smashed a tuna sandwich in his face at center court.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
WalterSobchak
First of all this site isn't running a custom CMS. F5 Sports Media is a small, niche player in that market for sure but it's running on a few other sites too (probably most notably TexAgs where it seems to have been developed). I have no idea if it is FOSS, but I doubt it. My guess is they provide customization and maintenance for a subscription fee. For the features this site has a FOSS CMS or even a custom full-stack JS site would be pretty easy to do, but who needs that when a passable set and forget alternative is within your budget. Sure they could probably save some money there (just one example they're paying for SSL in 2021) but how much?

Second Cal is already "partnered" with BI in that they provide direct content from time to time. See articles with "Cal Athletics" credited on the byline.

Third, hosting is cheap now, even on Azure which they are using (although there are cheaper alternatives). The major cost for this site is payroll.

The problem with a site like this is and will always be that there's very limited scalability. There is no other viable business model other than "passion project" or labor of love" or whatever else you want to call it. The revenue potential just isn't there, at least not without significant innovation to create new streams. That's why the big corporate sites cover all major conferences. That's also why there's never been a true competitor for this site despite its long history of, shall we say, technological limitations. Nobody's ever gonna make any real money covering only one school, particularly one like Cal, so why bother? There are probably a number of things they could do to generate more revenue, but they're higher growing fruit not without cost or risk so there's little incentive. As it is I appreciate this site for what it provides and don't dwell too much on what it doesn't. But I disagree that it's improved since the ownership change or that it's (still) the best Cal site.
HoopDreams
WalterSobchak said:

First of all this site isn't running a custom CMS. F5 Sports Media is a small, niche player in that market for sure but it's running on a few other sites too (probably most notably TexAgs where it seems to have been developed). I have no idea if it is FOSS, but I doubt it. My guess is they provide customization and maintenance for a subscription fee. For the features this site has a FOSS CMS or even a custom full-stack JS site would be pretty easy to do, but who needs that when a passable set and forget alternative is within your budget. Sure they could probably save some money there (just one example they're paying for SSL in 2021) but how much?

Second Cal is already "partnered" with BI in that they provide direct content from time to time. See articles with "Cal Athletics" credited on the byline.

Third, hosting is cheap now, even on Azure which they are using (although there are cheaper alternatives). The major cost for this site is payroll.

The problem with a site like this is and will always be that there's very limited scalability. There is no other viable business model other than "passion project" or labor of love" or whatever else you want to call it. The revenue potential just isn't there, at least not without significant innovation to create new streams. That's why the big corporate sites cover all major conferences. That's also why there's never been a true competitor for this site despite its long history of, shall we say, technological limitations. Nobody's ever gonna make any real money covering only one school, particularly one like Cal, so why bother? There are probably a number of things they could do to generate more revenue, but they're higher growing fruit not without cost or risk so there's little incentive. As it is I appreciate this site for what it provides and don't dwell too much on what it doesn't. But I disagree that it's improved since the ownership change or that it's (still) the best Cal site.
well I could go into a long technical debate, but that would be pointless and boring

I am interested in your opinion of which of the other 3 Cal sites is better, especially considering only 1 of them has a free area
WalterSobchak
Other than not really having the time to devote to it I'd be happy to debate the technical issues with you. You're a very well established poster and a valuable contributor whose opinion is very credible with me. I have no doubt you could present valid points and bring things to my attention that I haven't considered. It might bore everyone else but I don't think that would set it apart. I don't really have too much detail so all I was commenting on were my opinions formed from general web dev/hosting experience. For example I have no idea what their traffic numbers look like but I imagine the vast majority of it is free lurkers. If that's a ton of traffic then obviously it could impact their hosting cost but it looks like F5 provides that as part of their service and I have no idea what F5 pricing structure looks like.

None of the Cal sites are what I'd call great or would do if I designed my own. I have tons of ideas but currently neither the time or interest to build anything. I'm not too interested in paying for early access to public information or slightly more insight into gossip, so I understand the advertising model and it doesn't really bother me. Frankly it's a lot better than the standard newspaper website model where they literally provide everything behind a paywall now. I think the different sites have different strengths for non-subscribers. For this site, it is contributions from the small subset of quality and/or insider posters. I think the merged subscription competitor provides the best free recruiting content now (used to be this site). The new(er) magazine site competitor does basically what this site does now in terms of personal interest pieces, but with more frequency. This site still provides interesting free content, just not as much as it used to. Again these are just my perceptions, ymmv.
rkt88edmo
3rd Q Bank of the West Big Growl 4EVER!!!!

I prefer beachballs and peewee ballers who are strong enough to actually make shots into the hoop, and dumb obstacle races to mascot dance offs.
KenBurnski
BearGreg said:

That said, we will remove all of the pop-up ads starting next week.

BearGreg
Staff
KenBurnski said:

BearGreg said:

Let me check in - Are folks still seeing pop up ads? And if so, where and on what device?
stu
I'm still seeing pop-ups on 2 devices:
* desktop PC running Linux and Firefox
* laptop PC running Windows 10 and Firefox
Most annoyingly on the bottom of the screen - on the laptop that covers forum buttons like Send.
socaliganbear
BearGreg said:

KenBurnski said:

BearGreg said:

Let me check in - Are folks still seeing pop up ads? And if so, where and on what device?

Half my screen, iPhone.
Civil Bear
BearGreg said:

KenBurnski said:

BearGreg said:

No issues on either device with Add Blocker.
oskidunker
Back on i padtoday
SFCityBear
BearGreg said:

KenBurnski said:

BearGreg said:

No change on my PC. Site still inundated with Edge popops.
SFCityBear
AunBear89
Pop ups on Chrome browser running on PC laptop and on Safari on iPhone.
panda
Still get popups on iphone
oskidunker
I will never buy Edge.
BearGreg
Staff
We figured out the culprit. Should be all turned off by tomorrow.
HoopDreams
so the Monster solved the pop up problems!

oskidunker
SHOCKY!
KenBurnski
BearGreg said:

We figured out the culprit. Should be all turned off by tomorrow.

Thanks
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.