Monster Thread redux

7,905 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by KenBurnski
AunBear89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C

The other one was going good there again for a couple of weeks, but then ended poorly. Too bad.
calfanz
Is Shocky banned or did the thread just get locked?

oskidunker
It is not clear.
Go Bears!
BeachedBear
My grandmother used to say all things in moderation . . .

The last four seasons have been ugly for Cal Bball and the action on this site has devolved down to boring, to be honest. I was actually happy to see Bill return. It was the pepper our soup needed to get the flavor buds juicing.

But then it seemed the entire pepper grinder fell in.

Oh well.
Big C

One cool thing was that I got to post several times on a thread entitled, " ... thread CLOSED -- PLEASE do not post here ... "

It made me feel all "edgy". I started carrying myself differently this month. Chicks were hitting on me (though that might have been my Cal mask).

BearGreg
Staff
He has a temporary ban. Hopefully, he will come back and be a valued contributor who can live within the guidelines (albeit with some spice which is all good).

stu
I'd love to see Shocky put up a site of his own to host the Monster thread. It would be easy for anyone who might not like it to simply ignore it.
oskidunker
Good idea
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
stu said:

I'd love to see Shocky put up a site of his own to host the Monster thread. It would be easy for anyone who might not like it to simply ignore it.
it's easy to ignore it anyway. Just don't open the Monster thread, or put Shocky on ignore

it's so tiring to hear the constant drone of negativity here. Shocky posts sometimes in bad tastes, but I know he does listen to feedback and moderates his posts sometimes (and sometimes not)

But he brings humor, swagger, trash talking (donut boy, the criminal) and overall fun to the board. He also has some real insider info. It's fact the Monster drew more readers to this board

Without Shocky, you get the dog days of summer, debates about burritos, and 37 threads about firing the coach, AD and Chancellor

With Shocky, you get what you get

BearForce2
Thank you AunBear. We need more dumb threads like these to promote the dead basketball forum.
hoop97
Totally agree HoopDreams. No doubt he pushes the envelope at times, but I like some spice. And some comments need to be reigned in for sure.

I'm assuming those who attacked his daughter also got a timeout? Those were no bueno.
concordtom
HoopDreams said:

stu said:

it's easy to ignore it anyway. Just don't open the Monster thread, or put Shocky on ignore

it's so tiring to hear the constant drone of negativity here. Shocky posts sometimes in bad tastes, but I know he does listen to feedback and moderates his posts sometimes (and sometimes not)

But he brings humor, swagger, trash talking (donut boy, the criminal) and overall fun to the board. He also has some real insider info. It's fact the Monster drew more readers to this board

Without Shocky, you get the dog days of summer, debates about burritos, and 37 threads about firing the coach, AD and Chancellor

With Shocky, you get what you get

Shocky IS the Boston Market.
And he sells funky fish.

Better to go to Safeway, Andronicos, or Whole Foods.
concordtom
BearForce2 said:

Thank you AunBear. We need more dumb threads like these to promote the dead basketball forum.
BF2 and I often get along on the Hoops Board, not so much in Off Topic, Lol.
You got a star from me here.
concordtom
Quote:

We tried.

Would love to have your contributions Shocky but clearly they have to be on your terms and no one else's.

I won't apologize for wanting to keep the overt sexism off the site or the myopic character assassination.

It pains me that you choose to attack folks (insert edit by CT: like ACTUAL PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD, WITH ACTUAL JOBS, AND ACTUAL REPUTATIONS, OR ACTUAL TEENAGER ATHLETES - not just anonymous usernames) who share a different view than yours. And what hurts worse is that we're both passionate Cal fans and donors who want Cal to win on the basketball court and do it the right way.

Wish you all the best. Hope you can find some peace. Namaste.

Boom Tho! (where is the old "font size" control that we used to have - make it MAX)

Honestly - that's the biggest Boom Tho I ever read! And spot on, as well. Congratulations!
A north star leader. Thank you.

concordtom
stu said:

No doubt the University would implement some injunctions against his biographical revelations (of those associated with the team, most specifically the players and coaches) and character assassinations, which would no doubt shortly follow the launch of this theoretical site.

If a statement is made verbally, it is slander. If made in writing, it is libel.
In some states, libel can sometimes be charged as a crime and be punishable by a fine and jail time. However, in California, people who have been defamed are limited to their right to recover damages in a civil lawsuit.
concordtom
BeachedBear said:

My grandmother used to say all things in moderation . . .

The last four seasons have been ugly for Cal Bball and the action on this site has devolved down to boring, to be honest. I was actually happy to see Bill return. It was the pepper our soup needed to get the flavor buds juicing.

But then it seemed the entire pepper grinder fell in.

Oh well.
Q: Do you consider yourself more of a basketball fan, or a Boston Market fan?
Either way is fine. I mean, the basketball program is meant merely as Entertainment, right? Entertainment for others to make money off of, that is. Who actually cares about the players' development into mature adults?
concordtom
I must admit, I miss Rod Benson!

One of the best moments - Steve Panawek throwing it down!

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/CAL-S-BIG-FINISH-Forget-the-game-remember-the-2540365.php

Steve Panawek got his moment, too. He set a career high in points with three, a career high in minutes played with five, his name appeared above that of departed Cal player Marquise Kately in the original boxscore, and he threw down the greatest dunk in the history of college basketball.

Have him buy you a beer and let him tell you all about it.

Go Mats!
MSaviolives
concordtom said:

I must admit, I miss Rod Benson!

One of the best moments - Steve Panawek throwing it down!

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/CAL-S-BIG-FINISH-Forget-the-game-remember-the-2540365.php

Steve Panawek got his moment, too. He set a career high in points with three, a career high in minutes played with five, his name appeared above that of departed Cal player Marquise Kately in the original boxscore, and he threw down the greatest dunk in the history of college basketball.

Have him buy you a beer and let him tell you all about it.

Go Mats!
You can get your Boom Tho fix at SF Gate, where Rod has a column. His most recent column about the Wonderlic test demonstrates that he is, and alway was, a smart guy.
https://www.sfgate.com/author/rod-benson/
BearGreg
Staff
hoop97 said:

Totally agree HoopDreams. No doubt he pushes the envelope at times, but I like some spice. And some comments need to be reigned in for sure.

I'm assuming those who attacked his daughter also got a timeout? Those were no bueno.

They did
TypiCal
Concord Tom, are you buttering up the censor to try to get a free premium account?
SBGold
Several replies in a row to a post is not weird or anything
concordtom
TypiCal said:

Concord Tom, are you buttering up the censor to try to get a free premium account?

How long have you been hanging around here?
Shocky and I have a history. For years, I lobbied against things that the Host, the Owner, of this website finally spoke directly to, and has taken specific action against.
I am happy and thankful.
That's all.
I'm thanking him for taking rightful (methinks) approach. Can I not convey that without snarky responses? No, I cannot. That's okay, it's what is expected of the medium.

I think it's rude of you to refer to him as "the censor". Call him a Mod if you must.

EDIT/ADD:

TypiCal

Oh, hello Shocky. Lol.
TypiCal
I just find it mildly annoying that I have to wade thru mountains of spam/pop-up ads in order to read the handful of interesting posts pertaining to this dead or dying program. Maybe already dead on arrival.

That was funny when u said you ran into shocky on am elevator and didn't tell him who you were. Smacks of insecurity though.

I've got a great deal of respect for Shocky. Almost none for the folks running this site. Why is that?
Big C
TypiCal said:

I just find it mildly annoying that I have to wade thru mountains of spam/pop-up ads in order to read the handful of interesting posts pertaining to this dead or dying program. Maybe already dead on arrival.

That was funny when u said you ran into shocky on am elevator and didn't tell him who you were. Smacks of insecurity though.

I've got a great deal of respect for Shocky. Almost none for the folks running this site. Why is that?

That's a question for the ages. Maybe you should contemplate it for a while, then get back to us!
panda
I dont have any opinion on the Shocky thing but dude definitely agree with you on those popup ads. This site is unmanageable to read on the phone. And the stupid anti-adblocker screen. Whatever it takes to get money I guess...

Ccajon2
IDK how much out of pocket it costs to run this site. But, it seemed to me that the prior owner, Greybear, treated the site as a labor of love. The current one seems to be in it for the $. So, what else is new.
BearGreg
Staff
GreyBear did run this site as a labor of love but he also did it to make a profit.

We run it to donate to Cal athletics. 100% of the profits. We now spend a lot more on the site than he did and the ads help support that.

That said, we will remove all of the pop-up ads starting next week.

AunBear89
In fairness to BearGreg, I was turned on to Allegro Coffee Roasters via a pop up. They have an excellent selection of single source coffees.

But, yeah, the pop ups suck.
Chapman_is_Gone
BearGreg said:

GreyBear did run this site as a labor of love but he also did it to make a profit.

We run it to donate to Cal athletics. 100% of the profits. We now spend a lot more on the site than he did and the ads help support that.

That said, we will remove all of the pop-up ads starting next week.

Let me again give the owner(s) / operator(s) of this site some unsolicited advice, as someone who goes back to the Go Bears mailing digest days:

- Get rid of the stupid premium boards and reunite the community, which you've managed to sever down the middle. The Cal community is not large enough with withstand being severed down the middle.

- You have dramatically overpriced your product. Make the annual membership fee mandatory and lower it to $39 per year + optional donation. My guess is that many would choose to pay more. Emphasize that you donate profits to the University. Current students should get free membership.

- Explore other sources of revenue or reduced costs. For example, if you do donate profits to the University, why in the world is the University not providing some resources to you, such as free hosting? I'm sure you've already looked into that and they probably said "no," or whatever, but that just doesn't make sense. You are doing the athletic department a big service by hosting a large fan site like this one. Also, perhaps Bear Insider members should get 20% off concessions at sporting events. Have these avenues been explored? If the University and the athletic department are unwilling to work with you, then why in the world do you donate any profits to them? Tax reasons?

- Improve the website user experience, as others have pointed out. Currently, it's insulting..

- Do a better job of enforcing the rules. There is no reason Dodgers and Giants should be discussed repeatedly for years and years on the board. The only reason that thread is tolerated is because at least one of you is a big Giants fan. That doesn't reflect well on you. Note I am making a huge distinction between one-time temporary OT posts, which I like, and repeated crap that I have to wade through each time I browse the board. And I hate both the Dodgers and Giants. It doesn't help unite the community to allow that type of thread.

- Do a better job of giving the fans on this website "a voice" in communications with the athletic department. That will build goodwill and help demonstrate your value. For example, get a concrete response as to why the championship banners and retired jerseys aren't hanging from the rafters at Haas. There are too many things that we Cal fans are left to speculate on.

I've been saying this for 3-4 years. Best of luck.

concordtom
Some of that stuff is pretty funny.
Surely the university cannot get involved with hosting content where people swear and say all sorts of garbage. That would open them up to so much criticism. I'm surprised you didn't see that.
Also funny that you are nearly demanding a seat at the table on a number of things, yet, dude, you are merely a poster on a free public social media site. This is not The Table.
Anyways, good intentions...
concordtom
A couple posts about how one owner ran the board vs another now, about what type of ad revenue, about premium pricing, about which posts should be allowed and which shouldn't.

Do you guys have insight into the expense and revenue streams of BI? No.
Do you have experience managing as a moderator what can/should can't/shouldn't be posted? No.

Opinions and suggestions and preferences are fine, but I'm guessing there's not a lot of data to back up those assertions, however right they may or may not be.
concordtom
With no disrespect to GreyBear, I have enjoyed BI more in recent years - despite having had my own hand slapped a couple times. I see the difference in how it's managed and I don't mind the bottom pop ups on my laptop. It's the cell phone ones that stink because the screen is so small. I hope BI makes lots of money. And any kind of traffic allows that to happen. Giants, Dodgers....who cares - sift past it.
If anything, BI could launch another Forum for "non-Cal Sports" conversations, to get that off FB and BB, but not relegate to the OT board.

Most all traffic is good.
HoopDreams
Everyone is a critic

It's the way of free anonymous internet boards

This site is the best of the cal boards. They have costs like every other business. Many free sites are paid for by ads, and the best sites have a paid subscription option with no ads

They've built custom internet software without the support of the big company support, they donate money to cal athletics with their profits

They listened to non-paying subscribers and took down the pop ups

Are they running the perfect site? Do they moderate the site perfectly and fairly 100% of the time? Do I agree with every decision they make?

No, but I also don't have the visibility of all the factors that go into their decisions. Even if I do, it's their site, their investment, and their business risk

AunBear89
Let's be honest: none of these things would matter (or, they would matter a lot less) if we had football and basketball teams that were worth talking about.

We are all here ( most of us, anyway) because of our love of Cal sports and the spot they hold in our lives. Football is meh, and both hoops teams are BDWs, so it is only natural that we focus on the negatives - both about the teams and the site. If we were reflecting on second weekend runs in both hoops tournaments, and a bowl season in football, the pop ups and other esthetic issues would be less of a topic.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.