The Loss to USC - what could have helped

1,636 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by oskidunker
SFCityBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That game was very close for a long time, and then things came apart as USC pulled away for the win. I could not help but think that what Cal needed was the usual big crowd we used to have not long ago. I felt Cal outplayed USC in the first half, and should have been able to build a good lead, say 8-10 points. Haas (and Harmon before it) is among the most difficult arenas in the PAC12 for an opposing team to win a game. I have been amazed that Cal had still has had a good home-court advantage, even during the pandemic and the rules it entails. We have a current team that does not have full confidence in themselves yet, and we struggle, so I think it would help so much if we had more support in the Arena. When we get a crowd of 10,000 or more loud, boisterous fans cheering every bucket, and booing every foul or event unfavorable to Cal, I have got to believe that is a big part of our terrific home record over the years. I can't help but believe that if we had those fans against USC, that Cal would have garnered a good lead by halftime, and been able to sustain keeping the game close and maybe pulling out a win. Let's get out there to Haas the rest of this season and support our team, make some noise, and see what happens.
SFCityBear
Big C

Sounds like a plan! I'm about to wander over to Haas right after I press "Post".

Vax card on phone. Check...
Picture ID. Check...
Mask. Check...
No weapons or even an umbrella. Check...
Ticket in AppleWallet. Check!

Go Bears! See y'all there!

HoopDreams
Big C said:

Sounds like a plan! I'm about to wander over to Haas right after I press "Post".

Picture ID. Check...
Mask. Check...

Cal hat???
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

Picture ID. Check...
Mask. Check...

Cal hat???

Ah yes, wore a Cal cap and a Cal polo from my too-large collection of Cal gear.

Since this seems like sort of a general attendance / fan experience thread...

I kind of felt like, for the first time this season, that I was part of a super-spreader event. They need to get more lines feeding into Haas. Bizarre: My line for the metal detector was moving especially slowly, When I got to the front, the poor woman handing out the bins you put your stuff in looked like she was about to collapse from COVID, taking off her mask and gasping for air. Then she yelled that she needed her inhaler. What a job for an asthmatic!

So I'm walking up to my seat, already thinking that this game would be a little different... and lo and behold my section is MUCH fuller than it had been for any other game,,, mostly with Bruin fans. And the jerk two rows behind me refused to wear a mask. His wife wore hers about half the time to show she wasn't as much of a jerk. Hey, if I want some LA omicron, I'll go to the Southland and get some myself, thank you very much.

Anyway, nice to have some more fans at the Haas wearing blue and gold, but too bad a lot of the blue was a little light. It also probably wasn't a good time to have a bunch of people from all over spewing virus. JMO, but hey, I went anyway.

Oh yeah, we lost, too.
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

That game was very close for a long time, and then things came apart as USC pulled away for the win. I could not help but think that what Cal needed was the usual big crowd we used to have not long ago. I felt Cal outplayed USC in the first half, and should have been able to build a good lead, say 8-10 points. Haas (and Harmon before it) is among the most difficult arenas in the PAC12 for an opposing team to win a game. I have been amazed that Cal had still has had a good home-court advantage, even during the pandemic and the rules it entails. We have a current team that does not have full confidence in themselves yet, and we struggle, so I think it would help so much if we had more support in the Arena. When we get a crowd of 10,000 or more loud, boisterous fans cheering every bucket, and booing every foul or event unfavorable to Cal, I have got to believe that is a big part of our terrific home record over the years. I can't help but believe that if we had those fans against USC, that Cal would have garnered a good lead by halftime, and been able to sustain keeping the game close and maybe pulling out a win. Let's get out there to Haas the rest of this season and support our team, make some noise, and see what happens.
Very good point - and one of the things about college hoops that I love is the impact of the home crowd,

On the flip side, road games aren't as daunting these days either.
southseasbear
SFCityBear said:

Keep in mind that the students are still on winter break.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
oski003
You should be able to throw drinks at visiting fans who refuse to wear masks.
stu
oski003 said:

You should be able to throw drinks at visiting fans who refuse to wear masks.
Pepper spray.
oskidunker
Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

Picture ID. Check...
Mask. Check...

Cal hat???

I kind of felt like, for the first time this season, that I was part of a super-spreader event. They need to get more lines feeding into Haas. Bizarre: My line for the metal detector was moving especially slowly, When I got to the front, the poor woman handing out the bins you put your stuff in looked like she was about to collapse from COVID, taking off her mask and gasping for air. Then she yelled that she needed her inhaler. What a job for an asthmatic!

So I'm walking up to my seat, already thinking that this game would be a little different... and lo and behold my section is MUCH fuller than it had been for any other game,,, mostly with Bruin fans. And the jerk two rows behind me refused to wear a mask. His wife wore hers about half the time to show she wasn't as much of a jerk. Hey, if I want some LA omicron, I'll go to the Southland and get some myself, thank you very much.

Anyway, nice to have some more fans at the Haas wearing blue and gold, but too bad a lot of the blue was a little light. It also probably wasn't a good time to have a bunch of people from all over spewing virus. JMO, but hey, I went anyway.

Oh yeah, we lost, too.
The staff does not enforce anything. No ushers in the upper area all season. You cant access any seating from the lower level so I am not sure what the few ushers they have are doing there. They claim they cant get staff that wants to work. Then use Students-on a work study program. This Cluster**** can not continue.
Go Bears!
Big C
oskidunker said:

Big C said:

HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

Picture ID. Check...
Mask. Check...

Cal hat???

Oh yeah, we lost, too.
The staff does not enforce anything. No ushers in the upper area all season. You cant access any seating from the lower level so I am not sure what the few ushers they have are doing there. They claim they cant get staff that wants to work. Then use Students-on a work study program. This Cluster**** can not continue.

It is hard to hire people at probably-low wages now.

At the U$C game, they did an "Oblivious Cam" at one of the TOs (people glued to their phones). Maybe they could have an "Oblivious-to-the-Pandemic Cam" (People not wearing masks. Could cause some grief, but what the hell. Getting COVID causes a hell of a lot more grief.)
oskidunker
If you are wearing an N95you are probably safe
Go Bears!
SFCityBear
southseasbear said:

SFCityBear said:

Keep in mind that the students are still on winter break.
Having some students there would help, and we will heartily welcome them when the break is over. But it has been many years since the time when students were more than just a fraction of the total fan attendance. The modern game is played more for adult fans and not students. Sad.
SFCityBear
bearister
The phone thing is even more bizarre when the dipstick looking at it is sitting in a $5000 seat at an NBA Finals game.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BeachedBear
SFCityBear said:

Having some students there would help, and we will heartily welcome them when the break is over. But it has been many years since the time when students were more than just a fraction of the total fan attendance. The modern game is played more for TV Audiences adult fans and not fans in attendance students. Sad.
FIFY
SFCityBear
BeachedBear said:

SFCityBear said:

Having some students there would help, and we will heartily welcome them when the break is over. But it has been many years since the time when students were more than just a fraction of the total fan attendance. The modern game is played more for TV Audiences adult fans and not fans in attendance students. Sad.
FIFY
Point taken.
SFCityBear
oskidunker
Evidenced by week day afternoon games. The fraud joins the party by playing usc tomorrow at 2 pm.
Go Bears!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.