Cal vs Washington game thread

9,217 Views | 188 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

I like Kuany and felt he should start but he is killing us with bad passes and poor decisions. Lead to many turnovers last night.

Yeah, I get that 2K came in as a bit of a project, but now he is 2 1/2 seasons in. A coach like Montgomery would have found a few things that he could do well -- commensurate with his pretty decent skill set -- and taught him to do them. Then add in a couple more things every season. Instead, he's out there freelancing, with seemingly no plan.
oskidunker
Big C said:

oskidunker said:

I like Kuany and felt he should start but he is killing us with bad passes and poor decisions. Lead to many turnovers last night.

Yeah, I get that 2K came in as a bit of a project, but now he is 2 1/2 seasons in. A coach like Montgomery would have found a few things that he could do well -- commensurate with his pretty decent skill set -- and taught him do them. Then add in a couple more things every season. Instead, he's out there freelancing, with seemingly no plan.
He is trying to be aggressive which is goid but with no plan its really not working. . Crlestine should start if weare intent on salvaging what is left of the season. Either that or Alijiki
Go Bears!
sluggo
Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Yeah, I get that 2K came in as a bit of a project, but now he is 2 1/2 seasons in. A coach like Montgomery would have found a few things that he could do well -- commensurate with his pretty decent skill set -- and taught him do them. Then add in a couple more things every season. Instead, he's out there freelancing, with seemingly no plan.
For like two minutes last night he played 4 with Kelly at 5 surrounded by Shepherd, Celestine an Alajiki. The team did well. This is a really interesting big athletic lineup with some shooting. Too small a sample size to say much about it, but it is worth exploring.

Having him play 3 when he is clearly a 4/5 is making me insane. Bad coaching.
KoreAmBear
sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

For like two minutes last night he played 4 with Kelly at 5 surrounded by Shepherd, Celestine an Alajiki. The team did well. This is a really interesting big athletic lineup with some shooting. Too small a sample size to say much about it, but it is worth exploring.

2K has some talent, but yah not at the 3. Yesterday Lars found him in the corner for a wide open shot and he wasn't ready to shoot. So the split second gave UW a chance to close out. Jalen is probably our best 3 right now.
BearSD
Civil Bear said:

Love how the refs finally decided to start calling fouls on Udub once the game was out of reach.
They must teach that tactic to every rookie ref in officiating school.

There was an NBA playoff game a couple years ago in which the first half foul calls were something like 20 against Denver and 3 against the Lakers, and the Lakers were up 25 at halftime. Sure enough, by the end of the game, with almost the entire second half being garbage time, the fouls per team were close to even.
sluggo
KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

2K has some talent, but yah not at the 3. Yesterday Lars found him in the corner for a wide open shot and he wasn't ready to shoot. So the split second gave UW a chance to close out. Jalen is probably our best 3 right now.
I think he can be a very solid player if he plays near the basket. Also, he can't dribble the ball, a prerequisite to play 3. And Cal is strongest at the 3 position with Celestine and Alajiki. It is the only position where Cal has a good backup. They don't need him there.
HoopDreams
KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

I've been saying Lars has potential since his freshmen year, and he's now improving his defense, rebounding and scoring (with fewer dumb fouls)

but he is also improving his passing, including that one, and the assist he made to the top of the key (don't remember the shooter)
HearstMining
Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Yeah, I get that 2K came in as a bit of a project, but now he is 2 1/2 seasons in. A coach like Montgomery would have found a few things that he could do well -- commensurate with his pretty decent skill set -- and taught him to do them. Then add in a couple more things every season. Instead, he's out there freelancing, with seemingly no plan.
Monty was a very good coach but no miracle-worker. Bak Bak was similar to 2K - green as grass with respect to basketball. Bak Bak's stats his freshman year: 1.3 pts/gm and 2 rebs/gm and his stats his senior year: 1.5pts/gm and 1.1 rebs/game. Ah, but what about the intangibles, you say? Well, his minutes/game zoomed from 5.4 as a freshman to . . . 5.5 as a senior so he must not have been contributing too many intangibles. I love both guys but they were/are good athletes with very limited basketball skills. I understand 2K may have been the best Fox could recruit at the time, but Cal has to do better.
Big C
HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

I've been saying Lars has potential since his freshmen year, and he's now improving his defense, rebounding and scoring (with fewer dumb fouls)

but he is also improving his passing, including that one, and the assist he made to the top of the key (don't remember the shooter)

Most of the returning players are showing incremental season-to-season improvement, which is why I figured we wouldn't suck to badly this year. Problem is, they have fairly low ceilings.
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

I think his development is disappointing. He takes a hard dribble to the right no matter what the defender does and his footwork is awful. He still gets in trouble when his momentum stops. His shooting is okay, but the rest is not great. I always thought he was an underrated athlete, and I think he could be more than he is with better coaching.
Big C
sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

I think his development is disappointing. He takes a hard dribble to the right no matter what the defender does and his footwork is awful. He still gets in trouble when his momentum stops. His shooting is okay, but the rest is not great. I always thought he was an underrated athlete, and I think he could be more than he is with better coaching.

Why can't Lars learn from Kelly, especially with highly-paid coaches supervising it?
HoopDreams
Big C said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Why can't Lars learn from Kelly, especially with highly-paid coaches supervising it?
Lars has improved greatly since his freshmen season. First, he strengthened his lower body enabling him to move better ... he's improved his rebounding ... he improved his defense, including making fewer dumb fouls ... and he has improved his scoring ... I actually saw him use some footwork to score over 3 defenders this weekend

that's a TON of improvement

But Kelly came in as a skilled freshmen. I commented at the time and since that he has the best footwork of any post player we've had since Boykins. You just don't learn that overnight.

I think we should be happy that Lars has made these improvements so far, and is now a solid role player contributor. Certainly we need him to be since we only have three healthy 4/5s on the roster.

I think he will take another step forward next year, although I hope we can sign a 4/5 transfer as I expect Lars to continue to be a role player that can be effective with the right matchups, but probably very unlikely to take starter minutes
drizzlybear
I, too, have liked Kelly's skills since he arrived. But I also always thought his body was the limiting factor and not up to P12 standards for a post player. Kelly has been impressive in his development (especially wrt his conditioning) and he has exceeded my expectations. But I think we are now starting to see those physical limitations. Kelly is WAY more skilled than the post players for UW and WSU, and yet he was largely shut down by them. The reason, IMO, is that they were significantly longer, stronger, and more athletic than he is. We complain about our wing players' inability to get the ball to him in the post, but I thought the primary issue was that Kelly couldn't establish and hold quality position against those post defenders well enough and long enough to create a good opportunity for the entry passes.
Big C
HoopDreams said:

Big C said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

KoreAmBear said:

sluggo said:

Big C said:

oskidunker said:

Lars has improved greatly since his freshmen season. First, he strengthened his lower body enabling him to move better ... he's improved his rebounding ... he improved his defense, including making fewer dumb fouls ... and he has improved his scoring ... I actually saw him use some footwork to score over 3 defenders this weekend

that's a TON of improvement

But Kelly came in as a skilled freshmen. I commented at the time and since that he has the best footwork of any post player we've had since Boykins. You just don't learn that overnight.

I think we should be happy that Lars has made these improvements so far, and is now a solid role player contributor. Certainly we need him to be since we only have three healthy 4/5s on the roster.

I think he will take another step forward next year, although I hope we can sign a 4/5 transfer as I expect Lars to continue to be a role player that can be effective with the right matchups, but probably very unlikely to take starter minutes

Yes, I understand and appreciate that Lars has made steady (if unspectacular) improvement since he arrived, just wondering if working with Kelly every day can help him refine his post play.

As for learning that stuff "overnight", hey, I'd be happy if he learned it in three years.

btw: "Jamal Boykin" (no "s")

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.