NCAA basketball rules

1,184 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is the video most relevant to the 2K foul vs UW

After watching the video and reading the rule, I now think the refs got it right:

HoopDreams
on the other hand, I think UW violated the cylinder rule several times when they were trapping:

CALiforniALUM
Any quick links to the slow motion footage of K2's foul?
RedlessWardrobe
Honestly after watching that video I don't think it proved anything.
Is there any specification within the rule regarding a player landing on the floor after a rebound? Would be curious to know.

In the meantime, since this issue is so subjective, how about adding this rule to make things more cut and dry:
If the referee FAILS to make a call at the time of the play there shall be no foul on anybody.

To me, in a weird way I feel this type of play should only be reviewed if a foul was called, EVEN if the initial call was called against the defender. Think about it, it would no different than changing a "out" call to "safe" as is done in MLB. If there's not enough there for the ref to make an initial call, then - as MacLean likes to say, "let's move on."
BeachedBear
RedlessWardrobe said:

Is there any specification within the rule regarding a player landing on the floor after a rebound? Would be curious to know.

In the meantime, since this issue is so subjective, how about adding this rule to make things more cut and dry:
If the referee FAILS to make a call at the time of the play there shall be no foul on anybody.

To me, in a weird way I feel this type of play should only be reviewed if a foul was called, EVEN if the initial call was called against the defender. Think about it, it would no different than changing a "out" call to "safe" as is done in MLB. If there's not enough there for the ref to make an initial call, then - as MacLean likes to say, "let's move on."
As long as TV production is involved this completely rational idea will never happen. About thirty years ago, the NFL paid millions to three of the top ad agencies to increase viewership. What they told the NFL is:

1. Your loyal fan base won't change. They may complain, but they won't leave you. They are predominantly male.

2. To increase viewership, the NFL need to attract other demographics. The primary target should be female.

3. The most effective way to do that is to add artificial drama in the form of instant replay, subjective rule changes and overturning the call on the field. The famous quote they were told to push was "The most important thing is to get the call right".

A friend of mine was working at ESPN at the time and warned of the upcoming changes to rules, officiating, replay as well as studio and on field production. He said they would impact all revenue sports including basketball, baseball and even soccer (which I said would never happen and recently have been proven wrong).

All of the warnings have come true. It may be dressed up as 'to improve the game' but it is all about TV revenue.
RedlessWardrobe
Thanks for the commentary Beached Bear. I have belief in everything you say. Sports nowadays is so much more "entertainment" than it was 40 or 50 years ago for us old schoolers. I always laugh when watching football, when the crowd reaction to the referee's anouncement on a challenged play draws a bigger reaction from the crowd than the play itself.

I've realized that for older guys like me, this is an aspect of sports that I just have to live with. Still I don't have to like it. Besides this basketball issue, things I detest:

Extended Super Bowl halftime with music show. All of a sudden in this game the halftime becomes twice as long.

Super Bowl - 4 hours of pregame show. Bunch of BS. If I'm watching the Super Bowl I make it a point not to tune into the game more than 5 minutes before kickoff.

Video productions and tributes - with music playing. Not designed for a true sports fan.

Baseball playoff games, when the new norm is ANYTIME there is 2 strikes on the opposing batter the fans feel its mandatory to stand up. Sickening,

Post season events when the "towels" are handed to the home team fans. Stages the event, especially when the telecast first starts. This production method was kind of adopted from the WWE.

A bunch of others that I can't think of right now. In any case, the basketball elbow revue, similar to the football head to head rule, is a definite manipulation in today's sports broadcasting.

HoopDreams
RedlessWardrobe said:

excerpt from the rule:

Verticality/Cylinder Rule (Rule 4-38) - Clarifications

4. Given the above, elbow contact by the offensive player with a defensive player who has invaded the cylinder of the offense will most likely be a defensive foul when the elbow movement is above the shoulders or below the waist. Elbow contact which occurs when the offensive player moves the ball from side to side between the shoulders and the waist will most likely be a player control foul.
oskidunker
Give it a rest. Not anxious to keep reliving this game.
Go Bears!
bearister
Nate Roberts had 12 boards. No other player in the game had more than 5. He had 2 PF. I screamed at the TV more than a couple of times that they were allowing him to get away with over the back. He is a great rebounder, but if you are going to go ticky tac on 2K, then you have to blow the whistle on those.

Cal has too small of a margin of error to be able to prevail in a game that is officiated like that.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BEAR2dBONE
Agree Bearister. Maybe the P-12 officiating is technically correct, but the timing of their obvious BAD CALLS hit the Bears psychologically causing the team intensity to instantly go to ZERO ! It started with a very bad call against Shephard, who protested so much that Fox has to sit him. I thought the non-P-12 officials who did the home game, vs U$c, were better and balanced. Cal seems to get much more than a fair share of bad officiating this season causing losses in close games.
bluehenbear
The BDWs always get the bad / inconsistent officials.
bearister

Axios visuals
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.