Cal life without Kelly (Vs WSU) game thread

5,615 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Big C
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KenBurnski said:

I can't believe we are in like year 6 of just totally brutal basketball

Actually, this is the 5th year. In 2016-2017 we won 21 games and had a winning conference record. It just seems longer.
LudwigsFountain
calumnus said:

KenBurnski said:

Actually, this is the 5th year. In 2016-2017 we won 21 games and had a winning conference record. It just seems longer.

Years ago, when trucking freight rates were regulated, there was a concept called "constructive mileage". The harder it was to transit the road (steep grade for example) the more constructive miles it had.

In constructive years of watching Cal basketball I'm about in year ten of brutality
socaliganbear
WSU just swept the bay for the first time since 1993. Apparently Smith doesn't need 4+ years to lift them past previous suckage.
oskidunker
We should have gone for three and the win. I do not think Fox appeared on the post game show.
Go Bears!
KoreAmBear
oskidunker said:

We should have gone for three and the win. I do not think Fox appeared on the post game show.
Too bad Shepherd had his man beat.
Econ141
I fully expect to see a smiling Knowlton with an oversized check being handed to Fox for millions per year on a new extension. He did keep it close which is in-line with this administrations expectations.

#BrainLikeBerkeley
Big C

Back from the game... too bad we couldn't get a win. It would've been great for morale.

Nice to see Celestine get what must be his career high. Nice to see Grant break out of his slump.

Lars has put together a couple of decent lines: 11 and 6 the other night; 8 and 6 today. But, man, he must've broken his own prolific record today for number of times he either turned the ball over, failed to secure a pass, or -- his big one today -- failed to come up with the ball after getting a hand on it. "50-50 balls" have to be renamed "10-90 balls" when he's involved. Still, he's shown incremental improvement since he first arrived and I bet next season will be his best (again, incrementally).

Note to coaches: When there's less than 10 seconds on the shot clock, Joel Brown should give up the ball (if he has it) and immediately run to the half court line. I love the guy and he is an asset in many respects, but come on.

For those of you who can't make it to the Haas these days, you no doubt appreciate tidbits that I may be able to provide regarding the ambiance: This was the first time I can remember that the oldest, biggest kid actually won the Growl Like a Bear competition. Wow, the parents of the littler ones must be embarrassed, having had the innate advantage. Hey parents: Coach up your kids!

On to BeaverLand! (talking about our next opponent... please, let's get a win!)
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

WSU just swept the bay for the first time since 1993. Apparently Smith doesn't need 4+ years to lift them past previous suckage.

He turned around Columbia and built up fan interest after a century of suckage. Nerd ball works. Hint to Fox: the three point shot was introduced a few decades ago and has revolutionized basketball. However, shooters need to be recruited. However, we have been assured that Kyle would have never even considered Cal, so that is why we never offered.

The good news is Golden might be even better.
Golden One
oskidunker said:

Fox was on the post game show.
drizzlybear
Very proud and pleased with how the Bears played today. Unfortunately, just as Grant regained his shooting form (at least for one game), Shepherd lost his. This team never had a lot of wiggle room, but with Kelly out, they really can't have any of their main scorers have an off night to beat a good team. And yet, they darn near pulled it off anyway, even with wsu shooting the lights out from 3. Super gutty performance by the Bears.

Loved the defensive call by Fox on wsu's critical possession with 2:50 left, to have JC switch onto the big man so that he could switch onto the ball handler when the big man set the screen. Very smart move, and executed perfectly by Lars, JC, and Shepherd.

That foul call on Shepherd on the 3-pointer was a killer. Did not look like a foul at all. May have decided the game.

On that last awkward shot by Brown, I think he thought he was getting a foul call. He was clearly fouled at least twice on that drive. Terrible no-call there. Not that I want Brown at the line, but you still gotta get that call.

Tough to take another L, but boy did the Bears give a gutty performance in this one.

Lastly, for those who watched on TV, that kid with the popcorn was on fire. He looked like a 55-year-old AAU scout.

Oh, and I'm a Cal and a Keil.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

Back from the game... too bad we couldn't get a win. It would've been great for morale.

Nice to see Celestine get what must be his career high. Nice to see Grant break out of his slump.

Lars has put together a couple of decent lines: 11 and 6 the other night; 8 and 6 today. But, man, he must've broken his own prolific record today for number of times he either turned the ball over, failed to secure a pass, or -- his big one today -- failed to come up with the ball after getting a hand on it. "50-50 balls" have to be renamed "10-90 balls" when he's involved. Still, he's shown incremental improvement since he first arrived and I bet next season will be his best (again, incrementally).

Note to coaches: When there's less than 10 seconds on the shot clock, Joel Brown should give up the ball (if he has it) and immediately run to the half court line. I love the guy and he is an asset in many respects, but come on.

For those of you who can't make it to the Haas these days, you no doubt appreciate tidbits that I may be able to provide regarding the ambiance: This was the first time I can remember that the oldest, biggest kid actually won the Growl Like a Bear competition. Wow, the parents of the littler ones must be embarrassed, having had the innate advantage. Hey parents: Coach up your kids!

I did notice that the Bench for the Washington home games were louder where I could hear them on the broadcast. Other than that, hope you had a Top Dog and saw the Wazzu players being treated by Kyle Smith. Remember when Mike Riley used to take his players to In N Out after wins (where they had In N Out locations)?
socaliganbear
All we can ask is that Cal plays its best against Wazzu, even in a loss.
KenBurnski
Yeah that post did me in for the day.
oskidunker
Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

What did he say about not going for three at the end?
Go Bears!
Big C
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

I did notice that the Bench for the Washington home games were louder where I could hear them on the broadcast. Other than that, hope you had a Top Dog and saw the Wazzu players being treated by Kyle Smith. Remember when Mike Riley used to take his players to In N Out after wins (where they had In N Out locations)?

I will enjoy a Top Dog from time to time, but they aren't really my thing, to be honest. Down the road, I will be happy to send you one before the game, as that is a rumored feature on the iPhone 16, when it eventually comes out (maybe two years from now?). Heck, I guess you will be able to order them yourself though (with the app).
oskidunker
Top and a hot today sitting outside Center Street TD. Chili was not ready at noon. New cola with Cane Sugar is really good. I wish I could buy it somewhere. Had not been there in two years.
Go Bears!
minkjr
Quote:

That little boy who won sounded like a rabid wolverine on speed--he brought the fire and earned the victory. Somethings can't be taught--somethings you are born with, like demonic possession from an ursine hell! Good for him.
bearister
First lesson you teach your kids:

Never perform tricks for treasure.

2nd lesson:

But if you decide to do so,
only the winner gets a bear. Losers go to bed with no supper.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
Big C said:

KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

I will enjoy a Top Dog from time to time, but they aren't really my thing, to be honest. Down the road, I will be happy to send you one before the game, as that is a rumored feature on the iPhone 16, when it eventually comes out (maybe two years from now?). Heck, I guess you will be able to order them yourself though (with the app).

Personal record: 5 Germans after staggering out of Big Art's after midnight in 1975. I think while ordering I dropped the beer glass I forgot to leave at BA's.
Do you think they can make bocks on a 3D printer?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Chapman_is_Gone
minkjr said:

Quote:

That little boy who won sounded like a rabid wolverine on speed--he brought the fire and earned the victory. Somethings can't be taught--somethings you are born with, like demonic possession from an ursine hell! Good for him.

Why am I not surprised they're still trotting out that asinine contest. Did they also do the smile cam, sponsored by some local dentist? Which car won the BART race? The t-shirt cannon was put into action, I trust? Did they blare Welcome to the Jungle and Crazy Train at just the right times to get all 650 of you fired up?
touchdownbears43
We lost again. Is Fox still employed?
Golden One
oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

He didn't address that. Said that Brown's foul was unfortunate. But given that we really don't have any 3-point shooters, I'm not surprised we didn't go for one. About all we've got from 3-point range are Anticevich and Celestine, and they're both very inconsistent.
HoopDreams
Big C said:

agree on all counts. very questionable decision to give Joel the ball to try to score it, and if that was an option, it should had been the 4th option as WSU had two shot blockers on the court. Even if fouled, it would have meant Brown would have to make both FTs to tie the game. Not an easy prospect.

agree with Lars. He's improved and played two surprisingly good games ... he also had 3 blocks and 2 steals and an assist, but his hands continue to be his biggest liability. He has improved his rebounding hands, but continues to fumble or get striped on too many.

He can catch passes at his chest, but struggles on bounce passes still, which is why I was frustrated since we kept trying those resulting in multiple TOs

We really needed something positive for this team, otherwise the wheels could completely fall off the bus

The OSU game is key since we are tied with them in the standings
Big C
Chapman_is_Gone said:

minkjr said:

Quote:

Why am I not surprised they're still trotting out that asinine contest. Did they also do the smile cam, sponsored by some local dentist? Which car won the BART race? The t-shirt cannon was put into action, I trust? Did they blare Welcome to the Jungle and Crazy Train at just the right times to get all 650 of you fired up?

Here's what's so frustrating: The green BART car won the race this afternoon and our section was green . . . last Thursday evening. Sigh.
stu
HoopDreams said:

The OSU game is key since we are tied with them in the standings
How far we have fallen if the game for last place is "key".
calbearinamaze
LudwigsFountain said:

calumnus said:

KenBurnski said:

Years ago, when trucking freight rates were regulated, there was a concept called "constructive mileage". The harder it was to transit the road (steep grade for example) the more constructive miles it had.

In constructive years of watching Cal basketball I'm about in year ten of brutality
+1000

Nominee for Post of the Year
If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band
Civil Bear
Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

He didn't address that. Said that Brown's foul was unfortunate. But given that we really don't have any 3-point shooters, I'm not surprised we didn't go for one. About all we've got from 3-point range are Anticevich and Celestine, and they're both very inconsistent.
Celestine is actually 5th in conference percentage-wise, for players that have made at least one per game. Then you have Sam who is shooting them at nearly a 60% clip but doesn't qualify because he's only making 0.8 per game.
Chapman_is_Gone
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Celestine is actually 5th in conference percentage-wise, for players that have made at least one per game. Then you have Sam who is shooting them at nearly a 60% clip but doesn't qualify because he's only making 0.8 per game.

We do not have a lot of talent and we are not maximizing the talent that we have. Celestine and Alajiki are the bright spots in Fox's recruiting, they should have been playing more and we should be running plays that get them the ball in a position to score.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

We do not have a lot of talent and we are not maximizing the talent that we have. Celestine and Alajiki are the bright spots in Fox's recruiting, they should have been playing more and we should be running plays that get them the ball in a position to score.
We are running plays for Celestine
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

He only started in 9 games and has averaged 6 FG attempts per game. . I think we needed more Celestine and Alajiki.
CalLifer
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

He only started in 9 games and has averaged 6 FG attempts per game. . I think we needed more Celestine and Alajiki.
I guess I don't know how much of Fox's rotation patterns are based on injury (Celestine supposedly is fighting an injury, among others), but I have found his patterns of who starts and who plays very strange. Guys who start and play well in one game seem like they are on the bench to start the next. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that, but it's bothered me more this year.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

with Kelly out, I expect both to get more PT and more shots up
RedlessWardrobe
CalLifer said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

I guess I don't know how much of Fox's rotation patterns are based on injury (Celestine supposedly is fighting an injury, among others), but I have found his patterns of who starts and who plays very strange. Guys who start and play well in one game seem like they are on the bench to start the next. Not sure if anyone else has noticed that, but it's bothered me more this year.
I've noticed that from game to game Fox shuffles his pregame rotation schedule, but what he doesn't do much within a game is stick with a combination that might be producing better play on a particular day. This is something that I feel the superior coaches tend to do. It's kind of a traditional thing to do, and I think the better coaches always approach an individual game with this factor in the back of their mind. I may be wrong, but its hard for me to remember any point of a game this season when a lineup was really playing well and Fox made it a point to stick with it beyond rotation minutes.
calumnus
RedlessWardrobe said:

CalLifer said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

Civil Bear said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

Golden One said:

oskidunker said:

I've noticed that from game to game Fox shuffles his pregame rotation schedule, but what he doesn't do much within a game is stick with a combination that might be producing better play on a particular day. This is something that I feel the superior coaches tend to do. It's kind of a traditional thing to do, and I think the better coaches always approach an individual game with this factor in the back of their mind. I may be wrong, but its hard for me to remember any point of a game this season when a lineup was really playing well and Fox made it a point to stick with it beyond rotation minutes.

I posted stats last year on the unusually high number of starting combinations, almost every permutation possible, Fox has used, going on three years now. Kelly has been far an away our best big man from day one, and by some measures our most valuable player overall, but was only established as the unquestioned starter this, his senior year, despite not missing a game to injury until his season ending injury this year.

Fox's lineups and rotations seem almost random, but without much recognition of what is working and who is playing well. That is where Kyle Smith's "nerd ball" excels. When you have a roster with limited talent, you need to maximize the talent you have by playing your most effective players more, and when a player is playing well, leave them in. Don't worry about "fatigue" until it effects their play (actually, even when you have a talented roster you need to do that to excel).
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.