Knowlton's Notes

20,997 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
Big C
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Too bad. (WBB roster changes). I went to one game and watched a few others on TV: Daniels looked the least overrated of the Fab Three from two years ago. Does this "lesser" recruiting year (compared to the other two) signal that the current regime has maybe topped out?
helltopay1
Forgot about braun..Thanks for the reminder. Went to the Cal banquets in those days. His speeches were 80% comedy and 20% basketball. he hired Pasternak. That has always seemed like a family hire.
helltopay1
I do have one lasting memory of Charmin. she was an assistant at the time. Saw the game on TV. Camera panned to the Cal players. Charmin was bent over and was talking to the players. The camera clearly showed she was not wearing underwear. don't know about her coaching ability...I can't, however, give her wardrobe a passing grade. funny what you remember...
stu
Big C said:

Too bad. (WBB roster changes). I went to one game and watched a few others on TV: Daniels looked the least overrated of the Fab Three from two years ago. Does this "lesser" recruiting year (compared to the other two) signal that the current regime has maybe topped out?
Daniels is a fabulous athlete with significant shooting problems. This season we had a ton of guards so she ended up playing PF rather than wing. Also incoming grad transfer Jadyn Bush and improving junior Evelien Lutje-Schipholt beat her out for the starting job. Not a recipe for happiness.

This year's freshies are Mia Mastrov, a defense-oriented wing, and Jayda Curry, a combo guard. Jayda led the team in scoring and was the media pick for Pac-12 freshie of the year.
mbBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

That's why he was hired - to say what he does, behave as he does. Can't stand the idiot. Perhaps it's time we go after the person who hired him!!!

Been saying that for a while. We need the anti-Christ. Our swimming program has always been great - he gets no credit for that. He's tanking our revenue programs so our swimming program will drown along with them in due time...Christ being supportive of football is the biggest scam in Cal athletics history ..bigger than Bozeman's bucks!

If you compare Chancellor Christ with her predecessors going back 50 years or so, she is probably the most athletics-friendly, athletics-advocating Chancellor we have had... and I doubt it's close. Granted, she needs some help hiring ADs (forget if she hired the previous guy). Not to say she is great, but look at the other guys, who bordered on downright hostile to football and basketball (although Albert Bowker did attend most every home basketball game).
That's damning Christ with very faint praise. She talks a good game, but she has done absolutely nothing during her tenure to get results. Words and smiles mean nothing. Cal has continued its slide into football and basketball oblivion under her watch.
So the posts below are wrong? She didn't lead the debt re-working? Also, it's your belief that she had nothing to do in terms of supporting the grad programs to help hold on to athletes?
Okay, good to know...thanks.
The debt re-working has done absolutely nothing, as best I can tell, to improve the results on the field or on the court. And the grad programs are surely a positive, but they have had minimal impact on wins for our football and basketball teams. So, at best she has given us some frosting for the cake, but she has done virtually nothing to improve the size or quality of the cake.
They increased the assistants compensation pool...anything that possibly helped with that is a good thing.
IF you are saying you will only be happy with her if she pushes to fire Wilcox and Fox, then fine, that's at least honest, and is pre-emptive of any other discussion. But, and others can correct me if I am wrong, I don't see any one else in Cal history who has exceeded her support of the last few years. IF the results aren't quick enough for you, okay, then, hey, what else is there to discuss really....

She hired Knowlton, a bad fit with little relevant experience, gave him a big raise and then, even after horrible results, a 7 year extension. The result of that will be her legacy with regards to athletics.

While some say she is "the best" chancellor ever for athletics (seems like that is often said of whomever is there at the time), right now she looks like the worst to me.

A poster said she walks around campus in a red overcoat?
Having met her, there is no mistaking her correct color coordination and spirit about Cal. IF there was an early wardrobe discretion, then okay, serve that up as important to you.
I think the debt deal, the grad program, and her overall support in her position is significant...my opinion, and no one really cares. You hate Knowlton, and tie her to that....nothing that anyone is going to post is going to change your mind, nor is any opinion here going to matter in terms of how things shake out in the medium or long term.
socaliganbear
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

That's why he was hired - to say what he does, behave as he does. Can't stand the idiot. Perhaps it's time we go after the person who hired him!!!

Been saying that for a while. We need the anti-Christ. Our swimming program has always been great - he gets no credit for that. He's tanking our revenue programs so our swimming program will drown along with them in due time...Christ being supportive of football is the biggest scam in Cal athletics history ..bigger than Bozeman's bucks!

If you compare Chancellor Christ with her predecessors going back 50 years or so, she is probably the most athletics-friendly, athletics-advocating Chancellor we have had... and I doubt it's close. Granted, she needs some help hiring ADs (forget if she hired the previous guy). Not to say she is great, but look at the other guys, who bordered on downright hostile to football and basketball (although Albert Bowker did attend most every home basketball game).
That's damning Christ with very faint praise. She talks a good game, but she has done absolutely nothing during her tenure to get results. Words and smiles mean nothing. Cal has continued its slide into football and basketball oblivion under her watch.
So the posts below are wrong? She didn't lead the debt re-working? Also, it's your belief that she had nothing to do in terms of supporting the grad programs to help hold on to athletes?
The debt re-working has done absolutely nothing, as best I can tell, to improve the results on the field or on the court. And the grad programs are surely a positive, but they have had minimal impact on wins for our football and basketball teams. So, at best she has given us some frosting for the cake, but she has done virtually nothing to improve the size or quality of the cake.
They increased the assistants compensation pool...anything that possibly helped with that is a good thing.
IF you are saying you will only be happy with her if she pushes to fire Wilcox and Fox, then fine, that's at least honest, and is pre-emptive of any other discussion. But, and others can correct me if I am wrong, I don't see any one else in Cal history who has exceeded her support of the last few years. IF the results aren't quick enough for you, okay, then, hey, what else is there to discuss really....

She hired Knowlton, a bad fit with little relevant experience, gave him a big raise and then, even after horrible results, a 7 year extension. The result of that will be her legacy with regards to athletics.

While some say she is "the best" chancellor ever for athletics (seems like that is often said of whomever is there at the time), right now she looks like the worst to me.

Having met her, there is no mistaking her correct color coordination and spirit about Cal. IF there was an early wardrobe discretion, then okay, serve that up as important to you.
I think the debt deal, the grad program, and her overall support in her position is significant...my opinion, and no one really cares. You hate Knowlton, and tie her to that....nothing that anyone is going to post is going to change your mind, nor is any opinion here going to matter in terms of how things shake out in the medium or long term.

At some point, the big programs need to actually do well, or else it's been a failure. The end goal of investing hundreds of millions in athletics shouldn't be sound process. They don't give out NCAA championships for that, nor does that build fandom.
socaltownie
socaliganbear said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

At some point, the big programs need to actually do well, or else it's been a failure. The end goal of investing hundreds of millions in athletics shouldn't be sound process. They don't give out NCAA championships for that, nor does that build fandom.
ughhh.....sadly no.

There is pretty solid empirical evidence (even a name for it - the Boise state effect) that suggests that for certain universities they is a solid reason to "just win baby". It raises the overall visibility of the school, drives applications (if not enrollment) and increases US Today rankings because selectivity a big part of the scoring system (varies year to year but always important).

Cal's cynical reason for D1 athletics is NOT that. Rather it is to drive whales to campus for further development contacts resulting in 7 and 8 figure bequests and gifts.

Now there is some overlap here. It is likely that excited basketball and football programs drive greater engagement and, in turn, donations. But is also clear at a school like Cal that non revenue sports are near equally important because, bluntly, we have more whales that care about rugby and golf and swimming than apparently we do football and hoops. Sad for us fans but true.

and Thus if JK is stabalizing revenue so that sports do NOT have to be cut (see Sandy) is (and christ) are doing their job based upon the structural requirements Cal faces.
Take care of your Chicken
calumnus
mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

I don't "hate" Knowlton. I didn't hate Gilby, Holmoe, Dykes, Wyking Jones or Mark Fox. I just think they were bad to horrible hires and bad fits who needed to go sooner rather than later. I do not blame any of them for accepting the $millions Cal gave them and doing their best. I blame the people who hired them and extended them.

Yes, I "tie her to that." Who else is responsible for hiring Knowlton above all the other possible candidates in this country and then, after historically bad results, giving him a raise and an unprecedented 7 year contract extension?

The one way I could see the next 7 years under Knowlton working out is if he takes his orders from an assertive and aggressive booster or booster group that also pushes NIL to the same legal limits as our competition will. That is where his obsequiousness and lack of ego would actually be a benefit. Unfortunately, I think, and we are hearing, that we will be one of the more conservative schools even in our own conference with regard to NIL and booster involvement. Donors will be sought for buildings, not influence. Our administration seeks to preserve the old order, with an antiquated view of amateurism with tge Ivy's as our ideal. Many would be fine with that if we just had football and basketball games with the Cal band, but unfortunately our game day traditions are being destroyed at the same time.
Econ141
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

I don't "hate" Knowlton. I didn't hate Gilby, Holmoe, Dykes, Wyking Jones or Mark Fox. I just think they were bad to horrible hires and bad fits who needed to go sooner rather than later. I do not blame any of them for accepting the $millions Cal gave them and doing their best. I blame the people who hired them and extended them.

Yes, I "tie her to that." Who else is responsible for hiring Knowlton above all the other possible candidates in this country and then, after historically bad results, giving him a raise and an unprecedented 7 year contract extension?

The one way I could see the next 7 years under Knowlton working out is if he takes his orders from an assertive and aggressive booster or booster group that also pushes NIL to the same legal limits as our competition will. That is where his obsequiousness and lack of ego would actually be a benefit. Unfortunately, I think, and we are hearing, that we will be one of the more conservative schools even in our own conference with regard to NIL and booster involvement. Donors will be sought for buildings, not influence. Our administration seeks to preserve the old order, with an antiquated view of amateurism with tge Ivy's as our ideal. Many would be fine with that if we just had football and basketball games with the Cal band, but unfortunately our game day traditions are being destroyed at the same time.

Do we have any aggressive donors that care? Thought someone like mike silver or someone from the Haas family would step in by now but don't really know much about them.

If we don't get aggressive with NIL we might as well just mail it in.
Bobodeluxe
We? Who is "we"? The chances of Cal backers playing that game are so close to zero that, … just call it zero.

BeachedBear
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

I'm with you on most of this. Especially the hires and extensions. Even with Fox, I didn't love the hire, but accepted it as a response to Jones (i.e. better than keeping Jones). Despite the faults in the original hire - WHY NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE MISTAKE AND FIX IT after year 3?!?!?. Similarly the unprecedented extension for Knowlton.

The one point I quibble with; is your last one about traditions. My experience is that most of the traditions I appreciate from Football and Basketball have already been destroyed over the last decades due to the influence of money (particularly TV), not one or two outmoded administrators. I don't expect any level of NIL involvement can make it worse - the damage has been done.
oskidunker
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

I'm with you on most of this. Especially the hires and extensions. Even with Fox, I didn't love the hire, but accepted it as a response to Jones (i.e. better than keeping Jones). Despite the faults in the original hire - WHY NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THE MISTAKE AND FIX IT after year 3?!?!?. Similarly the unprecedented extension for Knowlton.

The one point I quibble with; is your last one about traditions. My experience is that most of the traditions I appreciate from Football and Basketball have already been destroyed over the last decades due to the influence of money (particularly TV), not one or two outmoded administrators. I don't expect any level of NIL involvement can make it worse - the damage has been done.
You got that right!
Go Bears!
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

mbBear said:

Golden One said:

Big C said:

fat_slice said:

Dgoldnbaer said:

Yes, that has been decades in the making. I just think the trajectory we are on is going to lead to even more financial pressure, fewer fans, fewer students at the games and loss of student traditions, more pressure to run ads during breaks…
oskidunker
The band plays a lot at basketball games.
Go Bears!
stu
oskidunker said:

In the games I saw this season the band played more and the recordings played less than in the recent past. To me that's good.

Tell me when the team plays better.
stu
Got another issue today. Searched it for "basketball". No results.

To put that in perspective, "support" came up 5 times and "DEIBJ" came up 4 times.
Civil Bear
stu said:

oskidunker said:

In the games I saw this season the band played more and the recordings played less than in the recent past. To me that's good.

The silver lining in the program no longer able to drum up enough interest to sell advertising that used to take up the band's time.
Big C
Civil Bear said:

stu said:

oskidunker said:

The silver lining in the program no longer able to drum up enough interest to sell advertising that used to take up the band's time.

LOL (or should I say "sadly") you are probably correct.
oskidunker
There never has been much adverising
Go Bears!
Civil Bear
oskidunker said:

There never has been much adverising
Every insipid promotion during timeouts where the band isn't playing has a sponsor.
stu
From the East Bay Times:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/24/cal-swimmers-allege-coach-teri-mckeever-bullied-and-verbally-abused-them-for-years/

I wonder how this will play out. Probably won't be mentioned in the next issue of Knowlton's notes.
Econ141
stu said:

From the East Bay Times:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/24/cal-swimmers-allege-coach-teri-mckeever-bullied-and-verbally-abused-them-for-years/

I wonder how this will play out. Probably won't be mentioned in the next issue of Knowlton's notes.

She will get an extra year because of a new COVID variant.
KoreAmBear
fat_slice said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

Funny but the situation is really sad. And if the allegations are true both McKeever and Knowlton gotta go.
socaliganbear
His managerial competence is spreading.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

Funny but the situation is really sad. And if the allegations are true both McKeever and Knowlton gotta go.

Knowlton needs to go. His belief about "tough coaches" reflects his background at West Point, VMI and Air Force and what made him think Mark Fox was a good hire for Cal in this time in history. His refusal to meet with parents, if true, is damning.

Hopefully this incident is what leads to his replacement. The fact Christ gave him an 8 year extension is just another screw up for Cal, but at least no one needs to feel sorry for him when he walks with an $8 million payday and can move back to someplace he is more comfortable living a life of luxury while complaining about Berkeley.
sluggo
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

Knowlton needs to go. His belief about "tough coaches" reflects his background at West Point, VMI and Air Force and what made him think Mark Fox was a good hire for Cal in this time in history. His refusal to meet with parents, if true, is damning.

Hopefully this incident is what leads to his replacement. The fact Christ gave him an 8 year extension is just another screw up for Cal, but at least no one needs to feel sorry for him when he walks with an $8 million payday and can move back to someplace he is more comfortable.
You have been so right about Knowlton. He is almost a caricature, not the modern leader that a place like Cal needs.
PtownBear1
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

Hopefully this incident is what leads to his replacement. The fact Christ gave him an 8 year extension is just another screw up for Cal, but at least no one needs to feel sorry for him when he walks with an $8 million payday and can move back to someplace he is more comfortable.
You have been so right about Knowlton. He is almost a caricature, not the modern leader that a place like Cal needs.
I wouldn't hire that guy to run an Arby's, let alone a multi-million dollar university athletic department. And I arrived at that conclusion on the day he was hired, long before he destroyed the basketball program, gave arbitrary extensions to every coach, bungled the Covid issues, and apparently failed to supervise this swim coach or investigate the complaints against them.
calumnus
PtownBear1 said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

I wouldn't hire that guy to run an Arby's, let alone a multi-million dollar university athletic department. And I arrived at that conclusion on the day he was hired, long before he destroyed the basketball program, gave arbitrary extensions to every coach, bungled the Covid issues, and apparently failed to supervise this swim coach or investigate the complaints against them.

Crazy that he makes $900,000 a year.
SFCityBear
stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

Knowlton or someone in the administration with the authority to do so, needs to fire this coach, immediately, even if only 10% of the article is true. This is not "tough, hard coaching", this is truly sadistic. Knowlton had nothing to do with McKeever's hiring, but what I don't get is how would anyone at Cal hire the daughter of Mike McKeever, the USC player who broke most of the bones in Cal halfback Steve Bates' face, out of bounds, after the play was over, in one of the dirtiest plays I ever saw. Like father like daughter, it seems.
SFCityBear
BeachedBear
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

fat_slice said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

When Knowlton started at Cal, my interactions with him were encouraging (compared to Williams and some other former ADs). However, based on my experiences with him and his staff in the following years - I have come to realize that his initial interactions were an act. Since that time, he has convinced me and other alums to STOP donating by both his actions and inactions. The comment about him not speaking to parents is absolutely his job. His constituency goes beyond the coaches and players - and if he doesn't get that - he must go.

Now.

sluggo
SFCityBear said:

stu said:

From the East Bay Times:

Knowlton or someone in the administration with the authority to do so, needs to fire this coach, immediately, even if only 10% of the article is true. This is not "tough, hard coaching", this is truly sadistic. Knowlton had nothing to do with McKeever's hiring, but what I don't get is how would anyone at Cal hire the daughter of Mike McKeever, the USC player who broke most of the bones in Cal halfback Steve Bates' face, out of bounds, after the play was over, in one of the dirtiest plays I ever saw. Like father like daughter, it seems.
Cal is probably already going to have to write one big check. So you are suggesting they fire the coach without due process so they have to write a second one?

And the part about not hiring someone because of their father is a joke, right? It has to be.
stu
Developing story:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/05/25/cal-swimmers-walk-out-on-teri-mckeever/
stu
IMHO if these allegations are true they're far worse than Hufnagel's transgressions and worse than Bozeman's. At least in those two cases nobody got hurt. But one of those swimmers might have gone through with a suicide.

Regarding Knowlton: It's one thing to be incompetent, another to have blood on your hands. He needs to go before this gets worse.
Big C
stu said:

IMHO if these allegations are true they're far worse than Hufnagel's transgressions and worse than Bozeman's. At least in those two cases nobody got hurt. But one of those swimmers might have gone through with a suicide.

Regarding Knowlton: It's one thing to be incompetent, another to have blood on your hands. He needs to go before this gets worse.
EDIT: My post below -- while perhaps containing a kernel of truth or two, was kinda dumb in some ways. I'd delete it, except for, you know, historical purposes.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will throw this out there: If I go over to the BI Off-Topic Forum and call "Poster X" a piece of s*** a bunch of times and then Poster X takes their own life, do I have blood on my hands? (I don't do that, btw, but some posters almost do.)

I know, I know, totally different dynamic. Not the same at all. Still, it sounds like what McKeever is "guilty" of is being a total azz hole in her position of authority. We're almost treating the situation like she was that doctor at Michigan State who molested dozens of athletes.

socaltownie
Big C said:

stu said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I will throw this out there: If I go over to the BI Off-Topic Forum and call "Poster X" a piece of s*** a bunch of times and then Poster X takes their own life, do I have blood on my hands? (I don't do that, btw, but some posters almost do.)

I know, I know, totally different dynamic. Not the same at all. Still, it sounds like what McKeever is "guilty" of is being a total azz hole in her position of authority. We're almost treating the situation like she was that doctor at Michigan State who molested dozens of athletes.

It goes beyond name calling. Shaming student to swim when they had medical notes, "outing" kids, clearly bigoted if not outright racist treatment of poc swimmers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.