OT: Official Warriors vs Nuggets Playoff Series Thread

17,600 Views | 226 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ducky23
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bearister
oskidunker
We could use Poole at Cal. Where did he go to school?
Go Bears!
bearister
bearister
oskidunker
Aaron Gordon should BearDown….
Go Bears!
HoopDreams
what seed are the Warriors?
Golden One
HoopDreams said:

what seed are the Warriors?
bearister
BearForce2
I don't know who on Denver was supposed to be guarding Jordan Poole but he was a human highlight reel in the first 2 games.
BearSD
Nuggets don't have quality depth at guard and can easily get cooked by the Steph/Klay/Poole trio. Jamal Murray has been out all season with an ACL tear, and a few weeks before Murray got hurt last season they traded Gary Harris for forward Aaron Gordon. As a result they give too many minutes to mediocre guards like Austin Rivers or 3-and-D guys without the D like Bryn Forbes. Will Barton is a good player, but he's a forward and not well suited to guarding a shooting guard.
BearForce2
Bearister, what happened?
bearister
Interest in topic seemed minimal. I scrubbed my input to retain what little dignity I have left.
Placido55
Hey bearister

Would you rather have the money to re-sign Poole (which is going to cost a pretty penny in luxury tax dollars) or still play games in Oakland?

And no, saying BOTH is not an answer. Which would you rather have?
concordtom
oskidunker said:

We could use Poole at Cal. Where did he go to school?
Michigan.

Dude has been unreal!
concordtom
Placido55 said:

Hey bearister

Would you rather have the money to re-sign Poole (which is going to cost a pretty penny in luxury tax dollars) or still play games in Oakland?

And no, saying BOTH is not an answer. Which would you rather have?
I hope a ton of that silicon valley money is flowing into the W's books so we can afford Poole, even in SF.
The W's were going to cost a lot next year, like this year, but if they have to sign Poole to the contract he's been playing like he deserves? Oh my goodness! W's are going to have to trade some players - how can we keep them all?

Here's an article from February. And that $80M # just went, I assume!

Quote:

Jordan Poole has been essential for the Warriors this season, averaging 16.4 points, 3.5 assists and 3.1 rebounds per game and filling the role of Klay Thompson until he returned from injury. If he comes off the bench enough games the final two months of the season, he could be on many voters' ballots for Sixth Man of the Year (and he will be critical leading that second unit in the postseason).

All that has the Warriors looking to lock him up and extend his contract this offseason, reports Connor Letourneau of the San Francisco Chronicle.

The Warriors also will try to sign Poole to a multiyear extension this summer, which would allow them to avoid having to deal with him in restricted free agency in 2023. Keith Smith, a salary-cap expert for Spotrac, estimates that deal to be in the four-year, $80 million range.

That's slightly above average starter money for a two guard in the league right now, but it's not unreasonable considering Poole's value to the team. (Poole has one more season after this on his rookie contract, for $3.9 million, the extension would kick in after that.)

Also, extending Poole could be insurance if Andrew Wiggins decides to leave or the Warriors don't want to pay him when his contract is up in the summer of 2023. Wiggins, a first-time All-Star this season, will make $33.6 million next season and then becomes a free agent. If Wiggins wants a max contract or anything close to it (four years, about $150 million), the Warriors may choose to let Wiggins walk and bank on Poole stepping into that role.

The Warriors don't have to extend Poole this offseason; they wait for Poole to become a restricted free agent in 2023 and let the market decide his worth. However, they have been good about locking up key players in the past and this could be another example of that.

One way or another, Poole will get paid, and the Warriors want to be the ones to pay him.
Wiggins has been great. But I don't see him getting another contract of that size again. He'd be smart to stick with the W's, where he's found a home. If he heads elsewhere, it might be hard for him to settle in with a new group, just based on his personality.

SF Chronicle ran another article 5 days ago. Looks like his price had risen up to $90M:
Quote:

Keith Smith, a salary-cap expert for Spotrac, estimates that Poole is in line for a four-year, $90 million extension offer from the Warriors
After this playoff series, maybe it'll be $100M.
philbert
A max extension for a player coming off his rookie contract would be 25% of the cap. Next season it'll be $122M so you can do the math. 4 for $90M is looking like way too little if he keeps this up.

Just keep in mind Poole's extension won't kick in until after next season. That would also coincide with when Wiggins' contract would expire. If Kuminga and Moody can take his spot, it makes sense that Wiggins wouldn't be re-signed.

ducky23
You're almost right.

Poole is getting the rookie extension max (5 years/184m). Period. End of story.

Maybe he doesn't take it and hits restricted free agency. But that's what the warriors are going to offer.

Luckily Wiggins's contract will be off the books and wiggins could chose to stay with warriors for reduced price. But warriors can easily replace wiggins with kuminga.

And people thought Joey lightyear's two time line wasn't going to work. What people never understood about the two time line thing is that it actually creates a longer championship window for the vets.

By the time they are declining, Poole and kuminga could be thriving.

In theory, you could play the Steph/Poole/kuminga/draymond/wiseman lineup for the next 6+ years and have klay be a ginobili type off tue bench.

Whatever you say about Lacob and co. they did this right. From financing their own arena in the city, to drafting kuminga and Poole and then making the hard decision to not trade the young'ins just for a shot at a title this year.

HoopDreams
what draft pick was Poole?

seems like great scouting to me
philbert
HoopDreams said:

28th pick in 1st round
concordtom
ducky23 said:

You're almost right.

Maybe he doesn't take it and hits restricted free agency. But that's what the warriors are going to offer.

Luckily Wiggins's contract will be off the books and wiggins could chose to stay with warriors for reduced price. But warriors can easily replace wiggins with kuminga.

And people thought Joey lightyear's two time line wasn't going to work. What people never understood about the two time line thing is that it actually creates a longer championship window for the vets.

In theory, you could play the Steph/Poole/kuminga/draymond/wiseman lineup for the next 6+ years and have klay be a ginobili type off tue bench.

Whatever you say about Lacob and co. they did this right. From financing their own arena in the city, to drafting kuminga and Poole and then making the hard decision to not trade the young'ins just for a shot at a title this year.

Well, let's be honest. It's also very fortunate that Poole is doing so well. And if Kuminga continues to progress and be worthy of a starring role on a title contender, that will also be fortunate. There are SO many high draft picks (let alone #28) that never make it big.

I think Curry and Klay deserve a TON of credit here. And their families.
They've acted like they've been there before - and of course, they have been, their entire lives, because their fathers played pro.

On the other (Solomon Hughes) thread, I'm writing about how much I'm enjoying "Winning Time". But there was such foul behavior going on there, starting with Buss. Contrast that with the way Curry and Klay comport themselves. What an awesome role model for other younger players. So, if Poole, Kuminga and Wiseman end up being great players, you've got to give credit to their role models, not just management for being smart enough to draft them.

Poole busting his ass, as folks have said he does in practice and workouts, is because of Poole, not Lacob. Lacob is fortunate to have that in house. So many guys get lost in the high life of the NBA. W's vets are showing them that's not how you do it.

I appreciate your post. Good stuff!! Thanks for the #'s.
concordtom
HoopDreams said:

The interesting thing is that Poole seems to have become a VERY different person from his Michigan and Rookie seasons. He was into bling, his hairdo, his glasses. Swag.

He's all business and results now.
Checked his ego at the door.
Perhaps that trip to the G-league got his attention?

The inside story of this transformation will be an interesting one to read about.
ducky23
concordtom said:

ducky23 said:

You're almost right.

Well, let's be honest. It's also very fortunate that Poole is doing so well. And if Kuminga continues to progress and be worthy of a starring role on a title contender, that will also be fortunate. There are SO many high draft picks (let alone #28) that never make it big.

I think Curry and Klay deserve a TON of credit here. And their families.
They've acted like they've been there before - and of course, they have been, their entire lives, because their fathers played pro.

On the other (Solomon Hughes) thread, I'm writing about how much I'm enjoying "Winning Time". But there was such foul behavior going on there, starting with Buss. Contrast that with the way Curry and Klay comport themselves. What an awesome role model for other younger players. So, if Poole, Kuminga and Wiseman end up being great players, you've got to give credit to their role models, not just management for being smart enough to draft them.

Poole busting his ass, as folks have said he does in practice and workouts, is because of Poole, not Lacob. Lacob is fortunate to have that in house. So many guys get lost in the high life of the NBA. W's vets are showing them that's not how you do it.

I appreciate your post. Good stuff!! Thanks for the #'s.

Look I hated lacob when he first arrived but I've come around. And I think you have to give him at least a little credit.

For one, how many sports owners are willing to go that far into the luxury tax. Sure you can say these are billionaires so whatever. But how many actually do it?

Also, he was forward thinking enough to build the cash cow that is chase Center which will help pay the luxury tax for years

And for someone with that big of an ego, he hires smart basketball people and generally gets out of their way. One of the bigger stories for the W's this year that no one talks about is the amount of resources they put into hiring a new developmental staff that has been crucial to the development of the young kids.

And lastly, despite everyone saying he was out of his mind, lacob has been adamant about his two time line strategy. Which I think took some guts. And yes, he got a bit lucky that Poole and kuminga (and possibly moody/wiseman) will work out. But he could have easily traded those picks to win now. That's what the fan base wanted. That's what the talking heads thought he should do.

But he trusted his front office and developmental staff and it looks like the warriors are going to be very very good for at least the next 10 years. That's impressive
concordtom
No disagreements from me on that commentary.
Except, 10 years? No way can we say that this squad has ANY bullet-proof-ness to it 10 years out. I mean, one could fade, one could depart, and one could suffer an injury (while the others retire) and we would be left with zippo in 10 years. But I get your point.

By the way, I didn't want the W's to trade Wiseman and the draft picks.
But I know just how questionable draft picks can be. The W's certainly have enough very high picks that were busts to have taught me that.

Reading your praise for Lacob made me think of the free spending Dr. Jerry Buss, as shown in the current HBO Winning Time show. That's the other owner who had the nuts to Go For It. As he says in the show, "You only live so many summers." I liked that. Abhor his personal behavior, but the Go For It aspect? Fantastic! Good on you for pointing that out!!!
philbert
I doubt even the most optimistic GSW executive thought Poole would become Curry-like. Not sure he would've developed in the same way if Klay had been healthy and per Draymond, Steph's late season injury helped him develop even more.

ducky23
concordtom said:

Except, 10 years? No way can we say that this squad has ANY bullet-proof-ness to it 10 years out. I mean, one could fade, one could depart, and one could suffer an injury (while the others retire) and we would be left with zippo in 10 years.

This is why I think it's much more likely than not that the warriors will be good for the next 10 years

Poole 22. Kuminga 19. Moody 19. Wiseman 21. These guys aren't even going to hit their primes until 8-10 years from now.

Barring injury, I'm extremely confident that core will make the warriors a perennial playoff team. Whether they can be perennial title contenders is going to depend on wiseman. His spectrum is just so large. He could become an all star Center. He could be out of the league in 2 years. No one knows.
concordtom
ducky23 said:

concordtom said:

Except, 10 years? No way can we say that this squad has ANY bullet-proof-ness to it 10 years out. I mean, one could fade, one could depart, and one could suffer an injury (while the others retire) and we would be left with zippo in 10 years.

This is why I think it's much more likely than not that the warriors will be good for the next 10 years

Poole 22. Kuminga 19. Moody 19. Wiseman 21. These guys aren't even going to hit their primes until 8-10 years from now.

Barring injury, I'm extremely confident that core will make the warriors a perennial playoff team. Whether they can be perennial title contenders is going to depend on wiseman. His spectrum is just so large. He could become an all star Center. He could be out of the league in 2 years. No one knows.
I hear you.

I've long said I'm definitely not sold on Moody. But Coach has said some great things about him. Shows how much I know!

It would be a fun little bet (no money, but just for ourselves to mentally make note) - how many of those 4 guys are still with the Warriors in 10 years?
Statistics say NONE!
ducky23
concordtom said:

ducky23 said:

concordtom said:

I hear you.

I've long said I'm definitely not sold on Moody. But Coach has said some great things about him. Shows how much I know!

It would be a fun little bet (no money, but just for ourselves to mentally make note) - how many of those 4 guys are still with the Warriors in 10 years?
Statistics say NONE!

Sure, I think if this were most organisations you'd have a point. But udonis haslem is the longest tenured active player with one team. The three after that are Steph, klay and dray. Even if some contracts are somewhat questionable (klay and dray) lacob has shown he tends to favour re-signing his own guys.

I see very few scenarios in which Poole and kuminga aren't warriors in the longterm. Just the way nba contracts work, you have the potential to make more money with your original team. So I don't see lacob allowing those two to get away.

Wookids
concordtom said:

I like Moody's potential a lot, but with Curry, Thompson & Poole, he may not get the court time he needs with the Warriors to develop (hope he gets a lot of G League time in next season).

When Moody got some time in Santa Cruz, and then got court time with the Warriors, he tended to play very well. He's got good size for a guard, and has shown signs of having good court awareness (as a 2 guard, Moody is already showing solid potential to at least be above average in seeing the court / making the right play)
philbert
Good read on GP2.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33774492/how-lifelong-struggle-paved-way-gary-payton-ii-success-golden-state-warriors
philbert
Also, I think the Dubs will be ok paying their huge luxury tax bill moving forward.

Great read on all of their financial initiatives. (side note: how is FTX able to spend so much money on sponsorships? They sponsor everything now....including Cal.)

ducky23
philbert said:

Also, I think the Dubs will be ok paying their huge luxury tax bill moving forward.

Great read on all of their financial initiatives. (side note: how is FTX able to spend so much money on sponsorships? They sponsor everything now....including Cal.)

I'm still waiting to hear from bearister as to whether he'd want the warriors to stay in Oakland or re-sign Poole.
bearister
ducky23 said:

philbert said:

I'm still waiting to hear from bearister as to whether he'd want the warriors to stay in Oakland or re-sign Poole.

I have been trying to respond but my mouth won't operate.
bearister

Big C

I haven't watched much NBA for the past 3 years or so, so it was interesting to tune in to a lot of GS/Denver Game 4. I was struck by the physicality and the aggressive defenses. Most of all, I couldn't believe what Jokic gets away with on offense, down in the low post. Obviously, somebody posting up is going to be able to back down his defender and the hand/arm that isn't dribbling is always going to be used, but NJ seemed to take it to a level I'd never seen before: just crashing straight back into his man and using his arm as an obvious lever.

I needed to step away and come back in order to notice it: That's crossing the line of what should be allowed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.