The final spot

7,077 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now this last spot is critical. As is Askew getting the waiver.
Big C

If Askew gets the waiver, I really feel like we are only one Kobe-level player away from maybe squeaking into the Big Dance.
oskidunker
Two guard is now essential.
Go Bears!
sluggo
calumnus said:

Is it? Does it matter whether the team finishes in 11th or 12th?
calumnus
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

If Askew is not eligible and we get no one of note in the portal our starting lineup is likely:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

Forget whether we come in 11th or 12th, with Fox coaching that group we would be odds on favorite to be the slowest playing, lowest scoring team in the country. We have been close the last couple of years already.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

If Askew is not eligible and we get no one of note in the portal our starting lineup is likely:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

Forget whether we come in 11th or 12th, with Fox coaching that group we would be odds on favorite to be the slowest playing, lowest scoring team in the country. We have been close the last couple of years already.
Really? Have not heard this before.
Go Bears!
sluggo
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

Those are details. When you are at the bottom and not competitive year after year, details don't matter much.
calumnus
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

Really? Have not heard this before.

Out of 358 teams

Tempo
2020 #315
2021 #322
2022 #330

Scoring
2020 #332
2021 #309
2022 #338

I believe Fox has already indicated he will try to slow the game down more and further emphasize defense.

We were #338 at 63.1 points per game. Knowlton's old school, Air Force, was #355 at 59.0 points per game. Only 4.1 points separated us.

Our top scorers last year in ppg
Shepherd 14.6
Kelly 13.4
Grant 9.7
Celestine 7.5

Are now all gone.

Our top returning scorers:
Brown 4.8
Kuany 4.8
Lars 4.7
Alajiki 3.1
Hyder 1.3

To be fair, most of the above were reserves, so going by their points per 40 min:
Brown 7.1
Kuany 11.3
Lars 13.0
Alajiki 9.8
Hyder 6.0

Is 47.2 ppg.

That would be nearly 12 points less than #355 Air Force. It would be even lower than #358 IUPUI who scored only 52.4 points per game. That is not likely because obviously all of this he above guys' "Usage" will increase and so will be shooting more (and hopefully scoring more) per minute played as well.

However, there is no doubt we will again be in the bottom 20 and likely in the bottom 5 in scoring.
89Bear
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

So you're saying pound the under, especially early in the season before more people catch on...
calumnus
89Bear said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

So you're saying pound the under, especially early in the season before more people catch on...

Yes, though there is an infinitesimal chance that could change with good news about Askew and the final spot.
calumnus
calumnus said:

89Bear said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

Yes, though there is an infinitesimal chance that could change with good news about Askew and the final spot.

The addition of Clayton doesn't change our prospects much if at all.
sluggo
calumnus said:

calumnus said:

89Bear said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Brown
Hyder or Roberson
Alajiki
Kuany
Lars

The addition of Clayton doesn't change our prospects much if at all.
The leading returning scorer after Celestine was injured scored fewer than 5 points per game. Clayton has scored 15. While the team will still lose almost every game, they should look more like a team with him, and that matters.
oskidunker
Who is Clayton? A possible transfer?
Go Bears!
stu
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/108812
concordtom
I see that Peja Stoyacovich (sp?) has a son in Sacramento who is rated about 65 in this upcoming class, and that Cal is nowhere on his list - but Stanford and Kansas and many others are.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/son-former-nba-player-peja-145309867.html
calumnus
concordtom said:

I see that Peja Stoyacovich (sp?) has a son in Sacramento who is rated about 65 in this upcoming class, and that Cal is nowhere on his list - but Stanford and Kansas and many others are.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/son-former-nba-player-peja-145309867.html

Next article on that link discusses Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso, a 7-foot senior-to-be center from Putnam (Connecticut) Science Academy, who is planning on making a recruiting trip to KU in June but also has Cal on his list:

"Kingsley Onyenso he is ranked No. 36 by ESPN.com and No. 87 by Rivals.com also wants to visit Kentucky this summer. Others on his list include UConn. Iowa, Texas Tech, Clemson, Georgia and Cal.

"Kingsley Onyenso's size, motor and athleticism have been obvious for a while now, and that alone made him worth ranking in the top 100. What may have been a bit overlooked, however, was his level of skill," wrote Rob Cassidy of Rivals.com. "if he continues to develop at this pace, a significant bump in the rankings is certainly in order."
Big C

Basketball player or no, every Kingsley I have ever heard of comes to Cal.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

Ben Kingsley's Twitter -- I have Cal in my final 8.
Big C

Okay, you got me. But to validate my post above, I'm pretending like I've never heard of Ben Kingsley.
concordtom
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

Ben Kingsley's Twitter -- I have Cal in my final 8.

Tops!

But maybe, yes, on a speaker's tour!
HoopDreams
Big C said:

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.