Story Poster
Photo by calbears.com
Cal Basketball

Devin Askew Cleared To Play In 2022-23 Season

July 14, 2022

BERKELEY – The California men’s basketball program announced Thursday that point guard Devin Askew will be eligible to play in the upcoming 2022-23 season after his waiver was approved by the NCAA.

A 6-3, 198-pound junior from Sacramento, California, Askew signed with Cal in May after previous stops at Texas (2021-22) and Kentucky (2020-21). Having already used his one-time transfer to become immediately eligible at Texas last season, Askew required an NCAA waiver to play immediately for the Golden Bears in 2022-23.

“We’re excited with the news that Devin will be able to play this season,” Cal head coach Mark Fox said. “He had a great approach as he waited for the approval and he can now continue to focus on the season ahead. We’re appreciative of the support from the University of Texas in this process, as well.”

The consensus No. 1 point guard in the class of 2021 prior to reclassifying to be a part of the class of 2020, Askew totaled 118 assists and a 1.55 assist-to-turnover ratio across his first two collegiate seasons. As a freshman at Kentucky, Askew started 20 of 25 games played and ranked second on the team in assists (73, 2.9 APG) while averaging 6.5 points and 2.6 rebounds in 28.9 minutes per game. He led the Wildcats in assists in 16 games and had a team-high 16 games with three or more assists.

In his lone season at Texas, Askew averaged 2.1 points and 1.3 assists in 14.9 minutes over 34 games played (three starts).

Askew is one of four Cal newcomers on the 2022-23 roster, joining veteran guard DeJuan Clayton (Bowie, Md.) and standout prep forwards ND Okafor (Dundalk, Ireland) and Grant Newell (Chicago, Ill.).

Discussion from...

Devin Askew Cleared To Play In 2022-23 Season

7,441 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by KoreAmBear
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good News!
Go Bears!
Big C

The backcourt looked completely bereft of basketball talent prior to the commitments of Askew and Clayton, so this is some good news. We actually have a bit of a log jam at point guard / combo guard now, with those two plus Brown, but I'm sure that at least two of the three can play at the same time, so that is far from the worst of our problems.
HearstMining
Big C said:

The backcourt looked completely bereft of basketball talent prior to the commitments of Askew and Clayton, so this is some good news. We actually have a bit of a log jam at point guard / combo guard now, with those two plus Brown, but I'm sure that at least two of the three can play at the same time, so that is far from the worst of our problems.
In the far recesses of my mind, there's the slightest bit of cautious optimism. I'm not experiencing it yet, but I think I caught a glimpse of it.
BearoutEast67
Yes!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
stu
Big C said:

I'm fine playing 3 guards if all 3 can play. I think Askew will be a big help.
Big C
stu said:

Big C said:

The three of them (despite a certain redundancy in size and skill sets) with Lars and either Kuany or Alajiki, might be our best lineup. Too bad we don't have Celestine. A couple of the other young guys halfway blow up and we almost have a pretty decent team.
calumnus
Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

The three of them (despite a certain redundancy in size and skill sets) with Lars and either Kuany or Alajiki, might be our best lineup. Too bad we don't have Celestine. A couple of the other young guys halfway blow up and we almost have a pretty decent team.

I think Lars, Kuany, Alajiki and 2 of the 3 guards on the floor at a time would be better. Unless Askew can change himself into more of a scorer, which might be entirely possible. He is far and away the highest previously rated player on the team and as a PG on Kentucky (and Texas) maybe didn't score because that wasn't his role.
stu
Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

I'm thinking Theimann and Kuany share C, Alajiki and Anyanwu share PF, and the new bigs fit in where they can up front. Hyder, Roberson, and Bowser back up the three guards. With Celestine out I think the sophs need to break out for us to be presentable.
Bisonbob
Devin looks like a nice addition, but he has been in two high level programs and is scoring around 2/3 pts per game. Cal has forever (Randel, Cobb) have lacked scoring from the point position. So I'll hold judgement, but please get more players who can put the ball in the hoop
Bisonbob
So I see no scoring from this position again! This roster needs some scoring punch or we will again see some boring 51-43 boring games!
sluggo
calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

I think Lars, Kuany, Alajiki and 2 of the 3 guards on the floor at a time would be better. Unless Askew can change himself into more of a scorer, which might be entirely possible. He is far and away the highest previously rated player on the team and as a PG on Kentucky (and Texas) maybe didn't score because that wasn't his role.
In high school he showed some scoring ability. It might help that he is coming down in competition. His biggest weakness appears to be quickness and athleticism. He is strong with good fundamentals. See the video below.

I agree with your lineup. Got to put the best five guys out there when your talent is at the very bottom of the league.

calumnus
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

In high school he showed some scoring ability. It might help that he is coming down in competition. His biggest weakness appears to be quickness and athleticism. He is strong with good fundamentals. See the video below.

I agree with your lineup. Got to put the best five guys out there when your talent is at the very bottom of the league.

He looked like he could shoot the 3 in that video, though not a quick release. In college he is .291 from 3 which is worse than Brown (.313). Clayton is even worse at .284 but is better than Hyder (.269).

Amazing that Fox more or less inherited Brown, but as bad a shooter as he has been, Fox now has 3 PGs to challenge him who are even worse 3 pt shooters (at least so far in their careers) and we are seriously thinking playing three of them at the same time might be our best lineup.
calfanz
Can we please get some semi official news about Celestine?

What a vacuum
calumnus
calfanz said:

What a vacuum

Crazy that we only know due to an insider posting here.

Maybe HIPAA privacy issues? They didn't say anything about Thorpe all these years until he medically retired..
HoopDreams
Very needed good news
dimitrig

Glad to hear some good news for once!

Big C
calfanz said:

What a vacuum

"Lower body injury". Reportedly joint above the ankle but below the thigh. Surgery. Likely out for the season.

I get it: I am not "semi-official" and the vacuum is no way to treat loyal fans. Lame.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

Upon reflection, I agree that two of the three will usually be our best option (though all three in a pinch).

A real "X factor" this coming season will be the O'Dowd guys, Roberson and Bowser. They were recruited to produce. Not much yet, but the jury's still out. Watching MR's few outside shots last season was a bit unsettling, but Bowser supposedly has some shooting potential, at least.
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

Upon reflection, I agree that two of the three will usually be our best option (though all three in a pinch).

A real "X factor" this coming season will be the O'Dowd guys, Roberson and Bowser. They were recruited to produce. Not much yet, but the jury's still out. Watching MR's few outside shots last season was a bit unsettling, but Bowser supposedly has some shooting potential, at least.

They were also seemingly/reportedly recruited as part of a plan to land friends/teammates Mahaney and Lewis in this class, which didn't pan out. Mahaney chose St. Mary's and Lewis…

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/news/1_wdS5m05UWdCE9ksYXZdQ/former-bishop-odowd-post-jalen-lewis-is-youngest-us-basketball-player-to-sign-professional-contract.htm?amp=1
KoreAmBear
Huge news! Yessir.
KoreAmBear
Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

If ND Okafor is the real deal like Alajiki was, that would be a big help.
KoreAmBear
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

Seems like Askew is very poised and in control. Kind of like Slo Mo Anderson at UCLA a few years back.
HoopDreams
I like his mid-range pull up jumper
stu
HoopDreams said:

I like his mid-range pull up jumper
I like players who have more than a set shot and a dunk.
calfanz
Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

"Lower body injury". Reportedly joint above the ankle but below the thigh. Surgery. Likely out for the season.

I get it: I am not "semi-official" and the vacuum is no way to treat loyal fans. Lame.
As far as i know of the Team has given absolutely ZERO word on Jalen. Really pathetic.
calumnus
calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

As far as i know of the Team has given absolutely ZERO word on Jalen. Really pathetic.

Agreed. I understand HIPAA, but the program has to act like people care if they want people to care. Fox can say, it looks like Jalen won't be available, at least for the beginning of the season but here is what I am thinking.
Big C
calumnus said:

calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

Agreed. I understand HIPAA, but the program has to act like people care if they want people to care. Fox can say, it looks like Jalen won't be available, at least for the beginning of the season but here is what I am thinking.

I'd love to have a coach who believes promoting the program is important. Somebody who lives and breathes making California Basketball a success. Because at two million a year, we should be able to expect a coach to deliver on all fronts. This is why I could get behind Pasternack, no matter who he kicked.
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

I'd love to have a coach who believes promoting the program is important. Somebody who lives and breathes making California Basketball a success. Because at two million a year, we should be able to expect a coach to deliver on all fronts. This is why I could get behind Pasternack, no matter who he kicked.

Pasternak would probably be about #15 on my list, so meh, but Fox would have been about #500, and I'm serious.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Big C said:

stu said:

Big C said:

If ND Okafor is the real deal like Alajiki was, that would be a big help.

Agreed. My hopes for surprise upside:
1. Askew turns himself into a scorer.
2. Okafor is a monster on the boards and inside.
4. Newell is another find like Celestine.
5. Roberson and/or Bowser blow up.
Big C
calumnus said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

Pasternak would probably be about #15 on my list, so meh, but Fox would have been about #500, and I'm serious.

Me too. I'd gladly settle for #15 right now. I don't doubt that Fox puts in a "good day's work", but for cryin' out loud: It's a high-paying job, so I'm asking for more.
eastcoastcal
Big C said:

calumnus said:

calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

I know Musselman was supposedly not super into the Cal job opening, but what I will say is look at his social media outreach and how he engages on so many platforms and promotes Arkansas Basketball as a brand... if only we had him
PtownBear1
eastcoastcal said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

I know Musselman was supposedly not super into the Cal job opening, but what I will say is look at his social media outreach and how he engages on so many platforms and promotes Arkansas Basketball as a brand... if only we had him
Should be a mandatory part of job in 2022. Meanwhile, we don't even get the bare minimum I would have expected in 1992.
KoreAmBear
PtownBear1 said:

eastcoastcal said:

Big C said:

calumnus said:

calfanz said:

Big C said:

calfanz said:

What a vacuum

Should be a mandatory part of job in 2022. Meanwhile, we don't even get the bare minimum I would have expected in 1992.
Fox is a relic. Nothing exciting about him or the program.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.