Rodney Brown commits to Cal

5,804 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Three-star shooter Rodney Brown commits to California (247sports.com)

"From the first time they offered me and I stepped on campus, it just felt like a home," Brown said. "Everyone on their staff is genuine. They treat me like family. Coach Mark Fox is a great player development coach and that was big in my decision."

A 6-foot-5 long-range marksman out of Temecula (Calif.) Rancho Christian, Brown chose the Golden Bears over offers from Pepperdine, Tennessee, UC-Santa Barbara, USC, and Washington State. Outside of his fit on the court, the academic prestige of the university additionally played a factor into his decision as well.

"I know the ball stops bouncing," Brown said. "So, I just wanted to be somewhere where I would have a great education."

Brown is California's first commitment in their Class of 2023. When asked what he plans on bringing to the program, he responded, "I am coming in to work hard and bring effort. Bears fans should expect someone who is capable of doing those things and making shots."
Harborview
KoreAmBear
Intuit said:

Three-star shooter Rodney Brown commits to California (247sports.com)

"From the first time they offered me and I stepped on campus, it just felt like a home," Brown said. "Everyone on their staff is genuine. They treat me like family. Coach Mark Fox is a great player development coach and that was big in my decision."

A 6-foot-5 long-range marksman out of Temecula (Calif.) Rancho Christian, Brown chose the Golden Bears over offers from Pepperdine, Tennessee, UC-Santa Barbara, USC, and Washington State. Outside of his fit on the court, the academic prestige of the university additionally played a factor into his decision as well.

"I know the ball stops bouncing," Brown said. "So, I just wanted to be somewhere where I would have a great education."

Brown is California's first commitment in their Class of 2023. When asked what he plans on bringing to the program, he responded, "I am coming in to work hard and bring effort. Bears fans should expect someone who is capable of doing those things and making shots."
"Mark Fox has landed one of the top three-point shooters on the West Coast." Also he says he's 6'6" now but was 6'1" last year. Wow.

Welcome Rodney!
calfanz
Welcome Add! Still Growing!

Wouldnt it be a hoot if Fox actually turns the ship this year?
eastcoastcal
FOX COMEBACK ARC?!?
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

FOX COMEBACK ARC?!?
Unlikely based on past performance, but hey I am for success for Cal whoever it is.
sluggo
Great pickup. I think I posted this video when he visited. He shows pretty form on his jumper and very good athleticism. I think Allen Crabbe is the most obvious Cal comparison, although Brown is probably not that good yet. Nevertheless, I think he is Fox's best recruit, and I am excited to see him play at Cal.

Civil Bear
Interesting the 247composit has him as a 4*.
SFCityBear
With the exception of Pepperdine, those are some pretty good basketball programs that Fox beat out to get this kid.
SFCityBear
stu
sluggo said:

... I think I posted this video when he visited ...
Brown is #5 in blue. To me he looks smooth more than spectacular. FWIW I counted 4 good passes, 4 free throws, 3 layups, 2 threes, and 1 breakaway dunk in a 70-61 win. Nothing remarkable on defense or on the boards.

BTW the other team had a pretty good big #35.
calumnus
sluggo said:

Great pickup. I think I posted this video when he visited. He shows pretty form on his jumper and very good athleticism. I think Allen Crabbe is the most obvious Cal comparison, although Brown is probably not that good yet. Nevertheless, I think he is Fox's best recruit, and I am excited to see him play at Cal.

Great get!
stu
SFCityBear said:

With the exception of Pepperdine, those are some pretty good basketball programs that Fox beat out to get this kid.
Sounds like in this case Cal's academics were a plus.
SFCityBear
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Good point.
SFCityBear
graguna
he has a sweet 3 point stroke. recruiting is slowly trending up
HoopDreams
Great pickup!

From that game video, he looks to have talent and upside. Good shooter (with the usual qualifiers about highlight videos) and looks to be a very good passer.

looks to be well coached on defense, and his length and solid defensive fundamentals make him look like an instant impact player.

I like the Crabbe comparison. Maybe not quite the shooter yet, but probably better at putting the ball on the floor

I also like #35. An array of shots around the basket, and a very good passer. Hard to say how tall he is, but seems like the body type to add good weight

PtownBear1
Man, I've been down on Fox as much as anyone, but that's 2 nice pick ups in a row with Askew. Surprised and impressed.
calumnus
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Plus the campus and City of Berkeley.
HearstMining
If you get the blame when things go poorly, you should get the credit when they go well, so good job, Mark Fox!

I hope Fox knows he has to keep recruiting this kid until the day he walks on campus as a student, because if this kid is an If he has an idea of what he wants to major in, send him newsletters from that Cal department. Encourage a couple of current team members to strike up relationships with him on Facebook/Instagram (disclaimer - I don't use either one). I think the acronym ABS (Always Be Selling) applies here.
HearstMining
If you get the blame when things go poorly, you should get the credit when they go well, so good job, Mark Fox!

I hope Fox knows he has to keep recruiting Rodney Brown until the day he walks on campus as a student, because if this kid is really any good, more programs (that have more recent success than Cal) will come calling. If the kid has an idea of what he wants to major in, send him newsletters from that Cal department. Encourage a couple of current Cal team members to strike up relationships with him on Facebook/Instagram (disclaimer - I don't use either one). I think the acronym ABS (Always Be Selling) applies here.
89Bear
PtownBear1 said:

Man, I've been down on Fox as much as anyone, but that's 2 nice pick ups in a row with Askew. Surprised and impressed.
Totally agree. Those 2 can form a very strong backcourt.
Keep getting those shooters!! Love this addition.
BC Calfan
Belated kudos to the staff on securing Rodney Brown. I am very critical of Fox & Co but more than happy to acknowledge their successes. This might be Fox's best get so far. Certainly his best traditional high school recruit. The timing is great too, good to have a big time recruit already in the fold for the Fall recruiting period.

24/7 just came out with their revised 2023 Top 150 and Brown comes in at #139 as a 3 Star.
247 Sports 2023 Top 150

I know it's old-fashioned and they don't staff their own scouts but feels good to see Brown as #84 and a 4 Star on ESPN's 2023 Top 100
ESPN 2023 Top 100
BerkeleyBAT
BC Calfan said:

Belated kudos to the staff on securing Rodney Brown. I am very critical of Fox & Co but more than happy to acknowledge their successes. This might be Fox's best get so far. Certainly his best traditional high school recruit. The timing is great too, good to have a big time recruit already in the fold for the Fall recruiting period.

24/7 just came out with their revised 2023 Top 150 and Brown comes in at #139 as a 3 Star.
247 Sports 2023 Top 150

I know it's old-fashioned and they don't staff their own scouts but feels good to see Brown as #84 and a 4 Star on ESPN's 2023 Top 100
ESPN 2023 Top 100
But naturally, ESPN doesn't show him as committed to Cal, so we don't get the satisfaction of seeing our name on that page!
bearister
HoopDreams said:

Great pickup!

From that game video, he looks to have talent and upside. Good shooter (with the usual qualifiers about highlight videos) and looks to be a very good passer.

looks to be well coached on defense, and his length and solid defensive fundamentals make him look like an instant impact player.

I like the Crabbe comparison. Maybe not quite the shooter yet, but probably better at putting the ball on the floor

I also like #35. An array of shots around the basket, and a very good passer. Hard to say how tall he is, but seems like the body type to add good weight

Crabbe is currently with Westchester Knicks in G League.

NBA career stats: REB: 2.8; Assists: 1.1; Points: 9.1

NBA career earnings: $65,000,000.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
wifeisafurd
They need all the help shooting they can recruit - so a good get, Cal may have some decent guards.

SFCityBear
BC Calfan said:

247 Sports 2023 Top 150

ESPN 2023 Top 100
I'm not someone who has great faith in recruit rankings, and Brown may turn out to be Fox's best "traditional high school recruit", but we do have two other Fox recruits on the current roster who were ranked higher than Brown is now ranked:

Obinna Anyanwu, 4 stars, #76 (Rivals), and #85 (247 Sports)

Devin Askew, 5 stars, #10 (247 sports, 2021, reclassified to #32 for 2020), #33 (Rivals)

We are not loaded yet, but Fox is starting to move the needle a little, in terms of getting the Cal name out there among basketball recruits.
SFCityBear
eastcoastcal
The talent is definitely starting to move slightly up. My question is at what stage is it enough to retain Fox? A class with just Rodney & some fillers isn't enough. I think realistically one more player that's top 100 is where the discussion even begins about keeping Fox. And that might still not be enough imo.
Big C
eastcoastcal said:

The talent is definitely starting to move slightly up. My question is at what stage is it enough to retain Fox? A class with just Rodney & some fillers isn't enough. I think realistically one more player that's top 100 is where the discussion even begins about keeping Fox. And that might still not be enough imo.

I think we would have to be significantly improved on the court this coming season, whereas I am only predicting incremental improvement (if that). Another blue chip recruit would help sell things though, especially when you consider who's currently doing the hiring/firing.
calumnus
eastcoastcal said:

The recruiting is trending up from the worst stretch of recruiting for Cal basketball since I became a fan 42 years ago. If these guys can be the next Bradley and Kelly we can be as good as we were two years ago.
BeachedBear
eastcoastcal said:

That ship sailed already. During the Fox tenure, we've had one or two P12 level players (most teams have 6-7) and they all transferred out before their eligibility was complete. If Fox were to get anywhere close to P12 level talent across the roster, then his underperformance would be too clear for even Knowlton to hide it.

Fox was on a thread during the pandemic and he got an extension. Last year, he was on an emergency/postcovid thread and he is still here. Knowlton is way too busy trying to put together a hockey program to give have a lick's consideration to a once proud and now moribund basketball program.
BC Calfan
From a recruiting perspective I agree. Adding another Top 100 player would be huge and maybe enough to retain Fox. But, a couple other things need to happen:

-At least 2 of the following players need to show they belong and become reliable starters: Bowser, Roberson, Okafor, Newell, Anyanwu
-8 wins in conference with a couple upsets.

It's put up or shut up time. We have to see significant improvement and potential this season. We need to see evidence of a team on the rise. At the end of next year, I want to feel confidence in Fox and be a threat to make the tournament in 2023-24.
sluggo
BC Calfan said:

From a recruiting perspective I agree. Adding another Top 100 player would be huge and maybe enough to retain Fox. But, a couple other things need to happen:

-At least 2 of the following players need to show they belong and become reliable starters: Bowser, Roberson, Okafor, Newell, Anyanwu

It's put up or shut up time. We have to see significant improvement and potential this season. We need to see evidence of a team on the rise. At the end of next year, I want to feel confidence in Fox and be a threat to make the tournament in 2023-24.

I agree with this. There has to be a path forward. Brown is a great start. There need to be other recruits and both individual and team progress this year. I think potential to make the 23-24 tournament is exactly the right goal. The probability of making the 22-23 tournament is approximately zero, and there can be no other seasons where that is the case.
SFCityBear
bearister said:

HoopDreams said:

Great pickup!

Westchester Knicks in the G league?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Is he rehabbing an injury?

I hope he had enough sense to hold on to most of that loot, and invest it wisely.
SFCityBear
bearister
SFCityBear said:

bearister said:

HoopDreams said:

Great pickup!

Westchester Knicks in the G league?

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Is he rehabbing an injury?

I hope he had enough sense to hold on to most of that loot, and invest it wisely.

Based on non thorough and quick research, it looks like his career just wound down….but he is fighting for a comeback.

He is making a difference and appears to have his loot.

FKCP Schools Names Court After Alumni & NBA Star Allen Crabbe - Los Angeles Sentinel | Los Angeles Sentinel | Black News

https://lasentinel.net/fkcp-schools-names-court-after-alumni-nba-star-allen-crabbe.html

Former Trail Blazers Guard Allen Crabbe Signs G-League Deal - Blazer's Edge

https://www.blazersedge.com/2022/1/21/22895232/portland-trail-blazers-allen-crabbe-nba-trade-rumors-g-league
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
89Bear
BC Calfan said:

I have my money on Newell delivering. By the end of the year I think we will be very, very impressed.
eastcoastcal
I'll always root for success but my worry is Fox marginally improves the team and keeps recruiting to a low-level yet earns further extension from Knowlton because we improved to say ninth in the conference.

No matter his ability to develop talent the reality is we really should be recruiting classes of several 4 stars and the occasional 5- star talent if we want to consistently compete for the tournament. Barring a massive swing from Fox, that's way over his ceiling
calumnus
eastcoastcal said:

I'll always root for success but my worry is Fox marginally improves the team and keeps recruiting to a low-level yet earns further extension from Knowlton because we improved to say ninth in the conference.

No matter his ability to develop talent the reality is we really should be recruiting classes of several 4 stars and the occasional 5- star talent if we want to consistently compete for the tournament. Barring a massive swing from Fox, that's way over his ceiling

Spot on. And you are new to Cal fandom.

My hope is that we move on from Fox, but that he leaves at least some talent for the next coach. However, there is zero chance he leaves as much talent as Jones left him, and even that was not great by historic Cal standards. Fox has set his own bar so low that he is impressing people with recruiting that is still at the bottom the conference.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.