Rodney Brown commits to Cal

1,158 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by 89Bear
Intuit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Three-star shooter Rodney Brown commits to California (247sports.com)

"From the first time they offered me and I stepped on campus, it just felt like a home," Brown said. "Everyone on their staff is genuine. They treat me like family. Coach Mark Fox is a great player development coach and that was big in my decision."

A 6-foot-5 long-range marksman out of Temecula (Calif.) Rancho Christian, Brown chose the Golden Bears over offers from Pepperdine, Tennessee, UC-Santa Barbara, USC, and Washington State. Outside of his fit on the court, the academic prestige of the university additionally played a factor into his decision as well.

"I know the ball stops bouncing," Brown said. "So, I just wanted to be somewhere where I would have a great education."

Brown is California's first commitment in their Class of 2023. When asked what he plans on bringing to the program, he responded, "I am coming in to work hard and bring effort. Bears fans should expect someone who is capable of doing those things and making shots."
Harborview
KoreAmBear
Intuit said:

Three-star shooter Rodney Brown commits to California (247sports.com)

"From the first time they offered me and I stepped on campus, it just felt like a home," Brown said. "Everyone on their staff is genuine. They treat me like family. Coach Mark Fox is a great player development coach and that was big in my decision."

A 6-foot-5 long-range marksman out of Temecula (Calif.) Rancho Christian, Brown chose the Golden Bears over offers from Pepperdine, Tennessee, UC-Santa Barbara, USC, and Washington State. Outside of his fit on the court, the academic prestige of the university additionally played a factor into his decision as well.

"I know the ball stops bouncing," Brown said. "So, I just wanted to be somewhere where I would have a great education."

Brown is California's first commitment in their Class of 2023. When asked what he plans on bringing to the program, he responded, "I am coming in to work hard and bring effort. Bears fans should expect someone who is capable of doing those things and making shots."
"Mark Fox has landed one of the top three-point shooters on the West Coast." Also he says he's 6'6" now but was 6'1" last year. Wow.

Welcome Rodney!
calfanz
Welcome Add! Still Growing!

Wouldnt it be a hoot if Fox actually turns the ship this year?
eastcoastcal
FOX COMEBACK ARC?!?
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

FOX COMEBACK ARC?!?
Unlikely based on past performance, but hey I am for success for Cal whoever it is.
sluggo
Great pickup. I think I posted this video when he visited. He shows pretty form on his jumper and very good athleticism. I think Allen Crabbe is the most obvious Cal comparison, although Brown is probably not that good yet. Nevertheless, I think he is Fox's best recruit, and I am excited to see him play at Cal.

Civil Bear
Interesting the 247composit has him as a 4*.
SFCityBear
With the exception of Pepperdine, those are some pretty good basketball programs that Fox beat out to get this kid.
SFCityBear
stu
sluggo said:

... I think I posted this video when he visited ...
Brown is #5 in blue. To me he looks smooth more than spectacular. FWIW I counted 4 good passes, 4 free throws, 3 layups, 2 threes, and 1 breakaway dunk in a 70-61 win. Nothing remarkable on defense or on the boards.

BTW the other team had a pretty good big #35.
calumnus
sluggo said:

Great pickup. I think I posted this video when he visited. He shows pretty form on his jumper and very good athleticism. I think Allen Crabbe is the most obvious Cal comparison, although Brown is probably not that good yet. Nevertheless, I think he is Fox's best recruit, and I am excited to see him play at Cal.

Great get!
stu
SFCityBear said:

With the exception of Pepperdine, those are some pretty good basketball programs that Fox beat out to get this kid.
Sounds like in this case Cal's academics were a plus.
SFCityBear
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Good point.
SFCityBear
graguna
he has a sweet 3 point stroke. recruiting is slowly trending up
HoopDreams
Great pickup!

From that game video, he looks to have talent and upside. Good shooter (with the usual qualifiers about highlight videos) and looks to be a very good passer.

looks to be well coached on defense, and his length and solid defensive fundamentals make him look like an instant impact player.

I like the Crabbe comparison. Maybe not quite the shooter yet, but probably better at putting the ball on the floor

I also like #35. An array of shots around the basket, and a very good passer. Hard to say how tall he is, but seems like the body type to add good weight

PtownBear1
Man, I've been down on Fox as much as anyone, but that's 2 nice pick ups in a row with Askew. Surprised and impressed.
calumnus
stu said:

SFCityBear said:

Plus the campus and City of Berkeley.
HearstMining
If you get the blame when things go poorly, you should get the credit when they go well, so good job, Mark Fox!

I hope Fox knows he has to keep recruiting this kid until the day he walks on campus as a student, because if this kid is an If he has an idea of what he wants to major in, send him newsletters from that Cal department. Encourage a couple of current team members to strike up relationships with him on Facebook/Instagram (disclaimer - I don't use either one). I think the acronym ABS (Always Be Selling) applies here.
HearstMining
If you get the blame when things go poorly, you should get the credit when they go well, so good job, Mark Fox!

I hope Fox knows he has to keep recruiting Rodney Brown until the day he walks on campus as a student, because if this kid is really any good, more programs (that have more recent success than Cal) will come calling. If the kid has an idea of what he wants to major in, send him newsletters from that Cal department. Encourage a couple of current Cal team members to strike up relationships with him on Facebook/Instagram (disclaimer - I don't use either one). I think the acronym ABS (Always Be Selling) applies here.
89Bear
PtownBear1 said:

Man, I've been down on Fox as much as anyone, but that's 2 nice pick ups in a row with Askew. Surprised and impressed.
Totally agree. Those 2 can form a very strong backcourt.
Keep getting those shooters!! Love this addition.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.