Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Rodney Brown
Cal Basketball

Cal Hoops' First Commit of '23 Class Rodney Brown Talks About Decision

November 4, 2022

Not long after committing to Cal in August, 2023 4 star Rancho Christian combo guard Rodney Brown decided to reopen his commitment however Brown has reconsidered and is back in the fold for Cal. We will update his story when he’s available to share some thoughts on the recommitment.

Here’s the original story:

6-6/185 Rancho Christian (Temecula, CA) combo guard Rodney Brown‍ became the first member of Cal basketball’s 2023 class with his commitment to Cal today.

“I felt like as soon as I stepped on campus, it felt like home to me,” said Brown. “The coaches are very genuine. Coach Fox was rated number one in player development and that was big in my choice. I also wanted to go somewhere where I could get a top education.”

Brown’s May visit to Cal helped with his comfort level in making the decision, too.

“We went to Pier 39 in San Francisco,” said Brown. “The bay area has beautiful scenery. I liked campus a lot, too. It was very nice.

“My experience with the players was great, too. I can see myself living life with those guys so it was a great experience.”

As for what he’ll potentially bring to the program:

“I’d say my playmaking ability and my shot are the strengths of my game,” noted Brown. “I’m a combo guard but I think I’ll probably be playing more 2 at Cal. I’m looking forward to just getting better. My ultimate goal is to play in the NBA and I look forward to working towards that goal.”

“Rodney comes from a great family, who are really supportive of his pursuits,” said Rancho Christian head coach Ray Barefield. “What Cal’s getting is a smart kid obviously who’s able to get into a school like Cal, who takes care of business on and off the floor.

“He’s got a great work ethic and is really dedicated to always continuing to get better. He’s very skilled. He’s a combo guard. Some people see him as a 2 but I’ll be playing him at the point all season, playing on and off the ball but primarily on ball, facilitating scoring, playmaking and having to make players better around him.

“His style of play lends to him being pretty versatile. His athleticism is really kicking in with some of the dynamic plays he’s making and his upside is big, with his best days ahead of him. That’s why we’re seeing what we’re seeing with the Pac-12, SEC and now the Big Ten starting to recruit him.

“On defense, he guards 1-3 and with his 6’10 wing span, he’s pretty versatile. He plays long. This year he’ll be asked to do a lot more, from 1-4. Usually, on the perimeter, he usually covers the opponent’s best wing or shooting guard on defense.

“They got a good versatile guy who can do a lot on offense and gets in passing lanes, deflects things, gets a lot of steals. He’s a Top 100 guy now, he’s still kind of a sleeper but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up Top 40 or 50 when it’s all said and done.

“He wants go there and produce and get Cal to the upper half of the conference and get back to the tournament.

The 4 star guard averaged 20 points, 3 assists, 6 rebounds and 1.3 steals per game as a junior. He also held offers from USC, WSU, Tennessee and UC Santa Barbara, among others.

More stories:

Cal To Take Preseason Foreign Tour To Europe

Fox Breaks Down Roster, New Additions Heading Into Season

Discussion from...

Cal Hoops' First Commit of '23 Class Rodney Brown Talks About Decision

7,743 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by sluggo
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great pick up but what an embarrassing thing to have happen:

CALiforniALUM
"Coach Fox was rated number one in player development"

What is that all about?
annarborbear
CALiforniALUM said:

What is that all about?
Don't know about any rating systems, but this was a quote three years ago from Nevadasportsnet:

"At Nevada, Fox was known as a good recruiter of under-the-radar talent. He signed and developed Ramon Sessions, JaVale McGee, Luke Babbitt and Armon Johnson into NBA players, only Babbitt being higher than a three-star recruit out of high school."
calumnus
fat_slice said:

W.T.F
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

fat_slice said:

W.T.F
Just pretend it's South Hall

calumnus
annarborbear said:

CALiforniALUM said:

What is that all about?
Don't know about any rating systems, but this was a quote three years ago from Nevadasportsnet:

"At Nevada, Fox was known as a good recruiter of under-the-radar talent. He signed and developed Ramon Sessions, JaVale McGee, Luke Babbitt and Armon Johnson into NBA players, only Babbitt being higher than a three-star recruit out of high school."

That a list of NBA players who played at Nevada while he was there. Two were signed by Johnson. Babbit (from Reno) played one year under Fox before Fox left for Georgia. Fox did seem promising, that is why he got the Georgia job. His recruiting and player development over a much longer time there is much closer to what we have seen at Cal.

Really happy he got Rodney Brown.
Intuit
Mark Fox now needs to recruit a 4 star Point Guard in the 23 class to pair with his shiney new 4 star SG/Wing.

While he is out recruiting he will want to keep recruitig the 6'10" big man Michael Nwoko out of Prolific Prep via Canada to the 2023 class. Cal is currently listed in his top 9 list.

Michael Nwoko is the most heavily recruited Canadian in the 2023 class. North Pole Hoops

"The cat is out of the bag, Michael Nwoko is no longer Canada's best kept secret. Since I last wrote about Nwoko & Team Canada after their Bronze medal tour in Mexico, he has picked up 7 Division I offers. We're talking about a kid with upwards of 20 NCAA D1 offers, there's no other Canadian recruit in his class that is as highly touted as Michael Nwoko"
Harborview
SFCityBear
Intuit said:

Mark Fox now needs to recruit a 4 star Point Guard in the 23 class to pair with his shiney new 4 star SG/Wing.

While he is out recruiting he will want to keep recruitig the 6'10" big man Michael Nwoko out of Prolific Prep via Canada to the 2023 class. Cal is currently listed in his top 9 list.

Michael Nwoko is the most heavily recruited Canadian in the 2023 class. North Pole Hoops

"The cat is out of the bag, Michael Nwoko is no longer Canada's best kept secret. Since I last wrote about Nwoko & Team Canada after their Bronze medal tour in Mexico, he has picked up 7 Division I offers. We're talking about a kid with upwards of 20 NCAA D1 offers, there's no other Canadian recruit in his class that is as highly touted as Michael Nwoko"
"North Pole Hoops" I like it. Sounds like a good organization, with a good purpose.

Nwoko. 20 offers already. Fox and his coaches will have to do some heavy lifting here. A good winning season this year and beyond is essential going forward, if Cal is to be considered as a destination for these plums. I think it will take a few years of attracting 4-stars to get there.
SFCityBear
MoragaBear
Staff
After decommitting a couple months ago, Rodney Brown is back on board with Cal. Will try and get some quotes from him when he's available.
Alkiadt
MoragaBear said:

After decommitting a couple months ago, Rodney Brown is back on board with Cal. Will try and get some quotes from him when he's available.
There may be more to come in a few days as well.
Fingers crossed.
tequila4kapp
Great news
Gkhoury2325
Since Cal MBB fans never have an idea of
Who is being recruited these days due to Fox's tight lips and no other information. What positions are Cal looking at? We need a big man, a scoring/shooting wing and a scoring/assist type of PG.
stu
Did Rodney Brown watch tonight's game?
Gkhoury2325
I hope not. He might change his mind again with that performance.
sluggo
CALiforniALUM said:

What is that all about?
Shhh.

Rodney Brown is an excellent player and I am excited to see him play at Cal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.