Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal basketball
Cal Basketball

Mark Fox, Bears Look For Big Step Forward

September 27, 2022

Late September, into October, is a sports fan’s dream season. Baseball heads to its playoffs. Football, both college and the NFL, are in full swing and seasons are beginning to take shape. And, hockey and basketball are beginning their camps, with all the hope that exists when every team is still undefeated. So many sports, so little time and attention to offer each.

The 2022-2023 Cal Men’s basketball squad began their regular-season practice sessions Monday.  Everyone, in every program, is positive and confident in their prospects for the upcoming season, of course, but in the case of Golden Bears hoops, that confidence might just be well-placed.

Monday also featured a Zoom-only availability with head coach Mark Fox, now in his fourth year at Haas Pavilion, along with seniors Lars Thiemann and Kuany Kuany, known to his teammates as “2K”.  All seemed genuinely excited for what their futures hold.

Thiemann spoke at some length about the team’s opportunity to play games in Europe this past summer. He was very pleased to show his teammates the culture, history and architecture of his home country and continent, but also happy to do some exploring on his own, as he had never been either to Paris, or to the part of Belgium the team visited.

“For me,” Thiemann said, “what was most exciting was to go to Düsseldorf, almost my home city, for the guys to see where I’m from, and then we had a game there and played against my old team. I thought it was a great trip for us, as teammates, to bond and to get closer – the shared experience I think will help us become closer, more of a brotherhood.”

Asked what new things he saw, Thiemann noted, “I’d never seen Paris, it was cool, such a beautiful city, even the touristy sights were cool to see.”

Kuany echoed those sentiments, with the additional note that it was ALL new for him: “The trip was a great experience because I’d never been to Europe, getting to bond with my teammates on a long flight. The coolest thing I saw was the PSG (Paris Saint-Germain) Stadium,  (Les Parc des Princes), because I’m pretty big on soccer and just to see that stadium was really cool, especially for my teammates to be able to share the moment.”

2K went on to say that the experience of playing two games together in the summer would be very beneficial going forward, noting, “We’ve got a lot of new players.” That might be an understatement, actually.

Cal has four complete newcomers, plus a fifth player who redshirted last season, all of whom are expected to be contributors in Fox’s rotation, which he expects to be 9, but possibly 10 players once the season settles in.  “I would like to be able to play nine,” Fox said, “can we get to 10? We’ll see. We’ve got a lot of competition for minutes right now – it’s kind of fun to see every day. We’ve got a lot of guys battling, and a month to figure it out.”

The four newcomers are Irishman ND Okafor (6’-9”, 235 lbs.); 6’-8”, 220 lb. freshman Grant Newell, from Chicago but with an extra year at IMG Academy in Brandenton, Florida; and transfers Devin Askew and DeJuan Clayton.  Okafor, who has extensive international experience, is a “5”, like Thiemann, but both Thiemann and Fox think Okafor might see the floor with Thiemann at various times during the year. Fox actually said, “I can play ND at any position from the 2 up to the 5 if I need to,” although that’s no guarantee we will see the big man spotting up on the wing very often.

When asked who has surprised him the most so far this year, Fox immediately said, “there’s no doubt, it’s Grant Newell. He came in and, from Day 1, he’s been impressive with how he works, how he finishes, with how responsible he is. He just has a lot of positive traits on and off the court. I don’t think there’s anyone on our staff who would say differently; Grant has been a tremendous surprise out of the gate.”

Asked if the 2022-23 squad would play a quicker tempo than recent squads have, Fox said, “I think in the past we’ve played a slower tempo than we wanted to because of the talent. Now that we have more depth, I think you’ll see us play a faster pace and see more balance offensively. Obviously, it’s an area we have worked hard on this summer. I think the two transfer guards will impact that area immediately.”

We asked Coach Fox who would be able to lead the team when they really want to run the floor, and he said, “I’d say Joel (returning senior Joel Brown) and Devin (Askew) are the best in that area. They are really good on the open floor and are fast on the dribble.”

Askew left high school a year early and enrolled at Kentucky. He was projected as the #1 point guard in the nation with his graduating class, but experienced expected growing pains jumping to an elite program in Lexington. Fox was asked about his confidence level as he has transferred to now his third NCAA program: “I think that’s a good question. Obviously, he took on something that, when I recruited him, I recommended he NOT skip his senior year. But he’s a talented player. We’ve worked hard (for him) to regain his confidence and aggressiveness. I think he would admit he got a little heavy in those previous places, and we’ve trimmed him down. It starts with approach – he’s VERY coachable, and I think he’s got a lot of his confidence back, and it’s about getting him comfortable in a system of play that I think fits him better.

Fox admitted that prior seasons have not been the easiest to watch. “We’ve not had an athletic front line, and that’s hard to overcome in a game with 60+ possessions. Lars, I think, finally got comfortable last year and everyone was excited about how he finished last year. But, Sam Alajiki played really well last season and for his national team (Ireland) this summer. He’s got a strong and athletic body, and you combine him with Grant and we have length and a physicality in the paint that, quite honestly, we’ve not had (during my tenure).”

Fox noted that the program has been rebuilding, itself a hurdle, and also had to work through the challenges of the pandemic. He feels he’s now got a roster that can play aggressively, and hopes they can learn to do so while playing mistake-free basketball. He’s excited to go to practice because he “has been getting a ton of cooperation, and don’t have to fight them every day.”

The Golden Bears open the 2022-23 season with non-conference action against UC Davis, putting their 33-0 all-time record against the Aggies on the line at Haas Pavilion November 7.

Other stories:

Bears’ Weekly Pac-12 Pairings Unveiled

Discussion from...

Mark Fox, Bears Look For Big Step Forward

14,736 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SFCityBear
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
From the article:

"He's excited to go to practice because he "has been getting a ton of cooperation, and don't have to fight them every day.""

A glimpse into Fox practices the last few years. Perhaps why Bradley and Kelly are playing elsewhere and a major reason Fox is an especially bad fit for coaching Cal-student athletes.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

From the article:

"He's excited to go to practice because he "has been getting a ton of cooperation, and don't have to fight them every day.""

A glimpse into Fox practices the last few years. Perhaps why Bradley and Kelly are playing elsewhere and a major reason Fox is an especially bad fit for coaching Cal-student athletes.
Fox tried to pretend Bradley wasn't the star of the team two years ago, esp benching him @UCLA and his post game remarks saying he's merely a good player, which was an insult. You don't have to give them star treatment but you don't need to pretend that he is like the 7th guy in rotation. Bad fit man, bad f'n fit.
calbear80
I will be happy with a .500 record in PAC-12 and an NIT bid. Anything less in year four of this coaching staff is disappointing.

Go Bears!
ducky23
The athletic just did their ranking of all D1 coaches. And surprise surprise, they ranked fox in the very bottom tier. Among the 10 worst coaches in the country
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

From the article:

Fox tried to pretend Bradley wasn't the star of the team two years ago, esp benching him @UCLA and his post game remarks saying he's merely a good player, which was an insult. You don't have to give them star treatment but you don't need to pretend that he is like the 7th guy in rotation. Bad fit man, bad f'n fit.

It is not like Bradley did not want to be a good player and win. It is not like he does not play defense, San Diego State is a top defensive team. If he has ideas, if he does not agree with you, he is not "fighting you" the idea that players need to just "co-operate" (he clearly means "comply") is just a very outdated notion of coaching.

Cal is a place that attracts smart students and encourages them to speak up and have an opinion. Our ideal student athlete is someone like Jalen Brown, a 5 star who was attracted to Cal and came across the country to attend school and play here for that very reason. We will never get a player like Jalen under Fox. We need a coach that can educate and convincingly explain "why" he wants you to do what he wants. For most of his career thst was Monty, which is why he was successful at places like Stanford and Cal with smart student athletes and why there are so many good coaches who are part of his coaching tree. His players and assistants received a basketball education. Who is In Fox's coaching tree?

The need for compliant players would make him a better fit for a military academy or a small school in the south or Midwest. Just a bad fit for Berkeley.
calumnus
ducky23 said:

The athletic just did their ranking of all D1 coaches. And surprise surprise, they ranked fox in the very bottom tier. Among the 10 worst coaches in the country

Yes, his hiring was widely viewed in the media charitably as "a head scratcher."

For active coaches he is #121 in career winning percentage, helped by early success at Nevada, but he is #300+ based on record at their current school. Crazy that a guy with such a poor record can continue to make $millions and get extended whike up and coming young coaches do not get the opportunity.
joe amos yaks
Games will be won on the court, not in the stands.
Go Bears!
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

From the article:

It is not like Bradley did not want to be a good player and win. It is not like he does not play defense, San Diego State is a top defensive team. If he has ideas, if he does not agree with you, he is not "fighting you" the idea that players need to just "co-operate" (he clearly means "comply") is just a very outdated notion of coaching.

Cal is a place that attracts smart students and encourages them to speak up and have an opinion. Our ideal student athlete is someone like Jalen Brown, a 5 star who was attracted to Cal and came across the country to attend school and play here for that very reason. We will never get a player like Jalen under Fox. We need a coach that can educate and convincingly explain "why" he wants you to do what he wants. For most of his career thst was Monty, which is why he was successful at places like Stanford and Cal with smart student athletes and why there are so many good coaches who are part of his coaching tree. His players and assistants received a basketball education. Who is In Fox's coaching tree?

The need for compliant players would make him a better fit for a military academy or a small school in the south or Midwest. Just a bad fit for Berkeley.
Can we send both Knowlton and Fox back to the AFA as a package?
sluggo
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

From the article:

Can we send both Knowlton and Fox back to the AFA as a package?
That place needs to be cleaned up, and they are the men to do it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34690748/air-force-football-placed-two-years-probation-recruiting-violations-covid-19-dead-periods
graguna
I hope i'm not too out of place by posting a thought aobut the article/fox interview.

If CAL goes 9 deep, who are they?

I say; brown, clayton, askew, kuany, newell, theiman, okafor, alajiki, bowser

that means roberson, hyper, anyanwu and Celestine all dont play ( barring injuries )

if/when celestine comes back, who else sits - i say bowser

calumnus
graguna said:

I hope i'm not too out of place by posting a thought aobut the article/fox interview.

that means roberson, hyper, anyanwu and Celestine all dont play ( barring injuries )

I think your first 8 are logistical. Not sure who the 9th is, Celestine is definitely out. Bowser is the best guess.
4thGenCal
calumnus said:

graguna said:

I think your first 8 are logistical. Not sure who the 9th is, Celestine is definitely out. Bowser is the best guess.
Marsalis Roberson is practicing well and is healthy (had a minor knee scope a few months back and then got a bit sick) He is talented so if he stays healthy he likely would be in that first 9. Hyder is still struggling with back issues and Jalen is attacking his PT and is targeting end of year, but who knows if that is at all possible. Monty can shoot it, and is a bit stronger - would be nice to see him step up. A lot of interchangeable players will be interesting to see which combo's are the most effective.
Big C

Assuming an off-season of good health and continued progress, Obinna Anyanwu is going to battle for minutes!
parentswerebears
I will be happy when Fox is someone else's problem.
calfanz
4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

graguna said:

Marsalis Roberson is practicing well and is healthy (had a minor knee scope a few months back and then got a bit sick) He is talented so if he stays healthy he likely would be in that first 9. Hyder is still struggling with back issues and Jalen is attacking his PT and is targeting end of year, but who knows if that is at all possible. Monty can shoot it, and is a bit stronger - would be nice to see him step up. A lot of interchangeable players will be interesting to see which combo's are the most effective.
Unless Roberson has fixed his shooting stroke (which in my amateur opinion is off the charts bad) he will not find the court
CalLifer
calfanz said:

4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

graguna said:

Unless Roberson has fixed his shooting stroke (which in my amateur opinion is off the charts bad) he will not find the court
In a sane world, that would be true. However, the experience with Fox is that defense/defensive effort trumps all else, so if he can show that, he will play. Then when we lose a game where we give up only 32 points but only score 21, Fox can blame the defensive effort.
SFCityBear
graguna said:

You're not out of place. Maybe a might early, unless you have seen all these players playing in person before. I for one have not seen Clayton, Askew, Newell, and Okafor, and I've seen precious little of Roberson and Bowser. I'd guess 4thGen, if anyone here, has seen all the players play in person at some point.

And many college players mature and improve a lot over a summer, and this was the first summer since the beginning of Covid, that Fox has had to work with his players, so I expect we might see some serious improvement. Another thing we may not know is how much, if at all, the players injured previously, Brown, Bowser, Roberson, and Hyder, will be ready to play at 100%.

The thing I like is that since Fox has been here, this is the first season where we might be able to seriously talk about different combinations, and depth. Initially, I heard that Okafor was a project, not yet ready to start, and now Fox says he can play him at any position from 2 to 5. How wild a concept is that? I guess it means he's not a passer, but everything else is on the table. When is the first game?
SFCityBear
Civil Bear
SFCityBear said:

Initially, I heard that Okafor was a project, not yet ready to start, and now Fox says he can play him at any position from 2 to 5. How wild a concept is that? I guess it means he's not a passer, but everything else is on the table.

I took it to mean he's not a ball handler.
SFCityBear
Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Initially, I heard that Okafor was a project, not yet ready to start, and now Fox says he can play him at any position from 2 to 5. How wild a concept is that? I guess it means he's not a passer, but everything else is on the table.

That is certainly possible, maybe more possible. I think we are all interested in seeing this youngster in action.
SFCityBear
graguna
I'm interested to see all 4 of our new player. I think each is going to get significant playing time and at least 2 will start. I'm expecting a lot out of Askew and Newell
eastcoastcal
I am excited to see how fast we play. I think this year will be a true test of whether the issue truly was depth/talent or if Fox just is unimaginative and boring with his x's and o's. If we play slow as usual, it must be the latter.
HoopDreams
To play fast you need to get clean rebounds with primarily two or at most 3 players attacking the glass and quickly kicking it out to players already on the break

(another way is to get steals)

If you can do that and get numbers it's increases your scoring efficiency as you can score at the rack

If you don't have numbers you have to have shooters on the 3 point line

Both approaches to scoring is better because the defenses are not set

But I'm skeptical as I don't think those success factors describe our team

It's not just a matter of running (its not a pickup game)

eastcoastcal said:

I am excited to see how fast we play. I think this year will be a true test of whether the issue truly was depth/talent or if Fox just is unimaginative and boring with his x's and o's. If we play slow as usual, it must be the latter.
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

To play fast you need to get clean rebounds with primarily two or at most 3 players attacking the glass and quickly kicking it out to players already on the break

If you can do that and get numbers it's increases your scoring efficiency as you can score at the rack

eastcoastcal said:

Playing "faster" is relative. You are talking about fast breaks and pushing tempo. Fox's teams at Cal and at Georgia played intentionally slow. Cal was #300+ in tempo last year, one of the slowest playing teams in the country, milking the clock before even attempting a shot and trying to deny any shot on defense. A team like Gonzaga plays very fast, not with fast breaks, but looking for good shots early in the shot clock and enticing their opponents into bad percentage shots rather than deny any shot.
HoopDreams
Agree

If the question is: will we (again) use the majority of the shot clock ?

The strategy behind that are:

- playing slow limits our turnovers
- we get better shots
- we are better able to get back on defense
- we give our opponents fewer shots

I'd say if thats fox's strategy i see no reason why he would do differently with this team

He says we have more depth so thats a small factor to play faster, but otherwise I dont think it outweighs the reasons he chooses his 'take the air out of the ball' approach.

We are not deep in the front court so need Lars to play huge minutes and we are otherwise young and will have too many turnovers and bad shots if we speed up. The one player that enabled us to play fast was Jordan, but we still played slow and he's gone. Unless our two transfer guards are as better I don't see it

Fox just answered the question in a fan/media positive way before the season. He probably answered it the same way last pre-season if asked the same question

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

eastcoastcal said:

Playing "faster" is relative. You are talking about fast breaks and pushing tempo. Fox's teams at Cal and at Georgia played intentionally slow. Cal was #300+ in tempo last year, one of the slowest playing teams in the country, milking the clock before even attempting a shot and trying to deny any shot on defense. A team like Gonzaga plays very fast, not with fast breaks, but looking for good shots early in the shot clock and enticing their opponents into bad percentage shots rather than deny any shot.
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

Agree

- we get better shots

I'd say if thats fox's strategy i see no reason why he would do differently with this team

He says we have more depth so thats a small factor to play faster, but otherwise I dont think it outweighs the reasons he chooses his 'take the air out of the ball' approach.

We are not deep in the front court so need Lars to play huge minutes and we are otherwise young and will have too many turnovers and bad shots if we speed up. The one player that enabled us to play fast was Jordan, but we still played slow and he's gone. Unless our two transfer guards are as better I don't see it

Fox just answered the question in a fan/media positive way before the season. He probably answered it the same way last pre-season if asked the same question

Playing slow or fast has a major statistical component. The more possessions the lower the variance of the result. If you are the better team you want lower variance, if you are the worse team you want higher variance. As Cal is almost always the worse team statistically they want to play slow.

The statistical argument is general. There are specific team factors that you discuss.
HoopDreams
sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

Agree

- we get better shots

Playing slow or fast has a major statistical component. The more possessions the lower the variance of the result. If you are the better team you want lower variance, if you are the worse team you want higher variance. As Cal is almost always the worse team statistically they want to play slow.

The statistical argument is general. There are specific team factors that you discuss.

agree. i cover this in 'we give our opponents fewer shots'
(we of course also give ourselves fewer shots too)
sluggo
SFCityBear said:

Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

That is certainly possible, maybe more possible. I think we are all interested in seeing this youngster in action.
Okafor is a project. There are hours of recent video of him on youtube, whole games, and I have sadly watched the video. He is a good but not great athlete and has very little in the way of basketball skills. Fox says a lot of BS.

Newell is much more of a question mark because he barely played last year and did not play the year before. He is intriguing because he is mysterious. Okafor is known.
HoopDreams
Okafor will have to play some 5 as Lars cant play 40 minutes and he cant matchup well with some players, and that doesn't even consider foul trouble

Without okafor we will be extremely small and lack any beef

sluggo said:

SFCityBear said:

Civil Bear said:

SFCityBear said:

Okafor is a project. There are hours of recent video of him on youtube, whole games, and I have sadly watched the video. He is a good but not great athlete and has very little in the way of basketball skills. Fox says a lot of BS.

Newell is much more of a question mark because he barely played last year and did not play the year before. He is intriguing because he is mysterious. Okafor is known.

sluggo
HoopDreams said:

Okafor will have to play some 5 as Lars cant play 40 minutes and he cant matchup well with some players, and that doesn't even consider foul trouble

No doubt Okafor will get 10 or 15 minutes a game. Because there is no one else with his size other than the starter. But that does not mean he is anything more than a project.
HoopDreams
sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

No doubt Okafor will get 10 or 15 minutes a game. Because there is no one else with his size other than the starter. But that does not mean he is anything more than a project.
I haven't watched game video like you, so I will reserve judgment

however given he's only a freshmen, I don't have high expectations

my point is he probably needs to play regardless based on the roster on this team
sluggo
HoopDreams said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

I haven't watched game video like you, so I will reserve judgment

however given he's only a freshmen, I don't have high expectations

my point is he probably needs to play regardless based on the roster on this team
We agree. He will be fine on a 11th place team.
TheFiatLux
Every time I see that "Invest and Attack" I just cringe. It's so mind numbingly vapid.
Big C
TheFiatLux said:

Every time I see that "Invest and Attack" I just cringe. It's so mind numbingly vapid.

Well, "Invest and Hold" would make more sense, but the refs would probably call a foul.
stu
How about "Vest and Jacket"? If we can't win we can always look good.
calumnus
At halftime of today's game Knowlton talked about "the excitement of Cal basketball under Mark Fox." To be fair, he also talked about the "excitement" of the game and our "explosive offense" so maybe he is as being sarcastic.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.