Story Poster
Cal Basketball

Bears Add Second Commit of '23 Class in 6'11 Center Devin Curtis

November 9, 2022

Just days after receiving a recommitment and a signing today from 4 star Temecula combo guard Rodney Brown‍, the Bears added another ‘23 SoCal oommit in 3 star center Devin Curtis‍.

The 6-11 SoCal Academy (Los Angeles, CA) center announced his commitment to Cal today and with the early signing window open for the next week, will presumably sign with the Bears, joining Brown in the 2023 class.

“What made me choose Cal was I felt like it was the best fit for me of being a high-academic school and a program looking to win,” told Zagsblog’s Adam Zagoria. “And I felt like they needed and wanted me being one of the guys to really help them change the program around.“I would love to just dog it out for a season and prove to the basketball community.“I will bring my versatility as a big that can stretch the floor, play inside and out, run the floor hard, grab rebounds and have the IQ to run plays and pick apart the defense. I would love to get in the film session with coach [Mark] Fox to help improve my skillset as well.”

The 3 star center took his official visit to Berkeley on September 30 this fall. He’s ranked as the 33rd best center overall and the 34th best recruit in the state of California. 

The prep school saw an impressive 8 recruits sign National Letters of Intent this morning including Braelon Green (Arizona St), Donovan Santoro (Providence), Robert Davis (UMass), Jordan Burks (Ole Miss), Will Heimbrodt (Seattle U), Makaih Williams (Wyoming) & Drew Fielder (Providence) and Curtis with Cal.

Stay tuned for more details.

Discussion from...

Bears Add Second Commit of '23 Class in 6'11 Center Devin Curtis

10,458 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BeachedBear
MoragaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Yet another stealth signee. I'd expect Cal to announce his signing soon like Brown's.
BearoutEast67
Nice!
Donate to Cal's NIL at https://calegends.com/donation/
calumnus
Definitely a position of need with Lars moving on. Plus, Fox's first player in his career from LA?

Welcome to Cal!
Big C

Devin, welcome to the Cal Family! We're glad you're going to be a Golden Bear!
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

Definitely a position of need with Lars moving on. Plus, Fox's first player in his career from LA?

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Rodney Brown is from Rancho Christian in Temecula, a very suburban community in Northern San Diego County. It is about two hours from LA, twice as far as Irvine in Orange Cointy.

I see now that Curtis is from Northridge, San Fernando Valley and played at tiny Heritage Christian. Technically that is Los Angeles, so It counts, but it is not really what I am talking about.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Rodney Brown is from Rancho Christian in Temecula, a very suburban community in Northern San Diego County. It is about two hours from LA, twice as far as Irvine in Orange Cointy.
Rancho Christian is in Temecula but his AAU team is in LA
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

That is like saying LeBron James is from Oakland and not Ohio because he played on the Soldiers.

His parents driving him from Temecula to AAU games in LA does not make him from LA.

I'm happy with his recommitment. We need shooters.

Interesting that they are both from small "Bible based" schools.

Alkiadt
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

That is like saying LeBron James is from Oakland and not Ohio because he played on the Soldiers.

His parents driving him from Temecula to AAU games in LA does not make him from LA.

I believe Alan Crabbe also came from a smaller religious school too?
KoreAmBear
Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Price right? That was a big church but a newer school I believe. But we got Richard Solomon from there too I think after he transferred from Bishop Montgomery (where he played with Cobbs). Let's see if my memory is still in tact.
graguna
CAL's two biggest needs are shooters and big men. Good targeted recruiting class so far.
Big C
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Calumnus, forgive us NorCal guys, but it's pretty much all "LA" down there. We know that, sometimes, it needs to be more precise, but this isn't one of those times. Brown and Curtis are from LA... and good for them! We need to get more LA guys.

(south of, like Ventura... west of San Bernardino... north of Irvine. that's "LA"... okay, technically, some of that is Orange County or whatever, but LA is LA)
HoopDreams
a skilled big man ... can face up and shoot out to the 3, put the ball on the court and drive, pull ups, some nice crossovers and finishes showing his athletism, and even plays some solid fundamental defense (instead of going for the block all the time)

He also produced big time when the game was on the line, although Devon William, a 4 start that committed to UCLA also played very well and was clutch

Needs to get stronger, and hopefully he can recover 100% from his injury (this video was from last year)

Nice pick up

stu
Big C said:

Calumnus, forgive us NorCal guys, but it's pretty much all "LA" down there. We know that, sometimes, it needs to be more precise, but this isn't one of those times. Brown and Curtis are from LA... and good for them! We need to get more LA guys.
How about "SoCal guys"?
HoopDreams
signed

Big C
stu said:

Big C said:

How about "SoCal guys"?

Fine with me; I don't care.

All I know is, since I first arrived at Cal, 40+ years ago, that's been our main pipeline... and we need to get it flowing again.
GoCal80
Former Cal guard Juhwan Harris-Dyson was also from Heritage Christian in Northridge. I also think that they both played for the same AAU team, West Coast Elite.
eastcoastcal
What sports are good at the high school level in NorCal? why is the talent more highly congregated in southern california?
Big C
eastcoastcal said:

What sports are good at the high school level in NorCal? why is the talent more highly congregated in southern california?

Part of it is that SoCal has something like three times the population of NorCal, so three times the prospects.

NorCal has good football programs: the bigger Catholic schools all over and the public HSs in the east East Bay.

Good basketball but no powerhouse programs these days (unless you count Prolific Prep). There is the AAU program, the Oakland Soldiers.

The east East Bay (Contra Costa County) has good baseball and water sports.
calumnus
stu said:

Big C said:

How about "SoCal guys"?

Imagine someone says "Cal needs to land some of the top players from Oakland" and someone else says, "We did, we landed a player from Granite Bay (or Monterey)."
Oakbear
curious, I read elsewhere that he is 'only' 6-8

big difference, does anyone actually measure these guys??

I know that height inflation is as common as grade inflation,.,.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

stu said:

Big C said:

How about "SoCal guys"?

Imagine someone says "Cal needs to land some of the top players from Oakland" and someone else says, "We did, we landed a player from Granite Bay (or Monterey)."
As a Granite Bay resident, I got a kick out of this comment. It's not exactly a hotbed for basketball. Generally good football, soccer, and baseball, but winter is for snowboarding.
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

stu said:

Big C said:

How about "SoCal guys"?

Most AAU players spend more time playing hoops and practicing in their AAU team's city then they do their high school team's. And a lot of private school kids don't live in the city their high school is, either. Not sure why this is so important to continue to argue about and even mock anyway. He plays for an LA AAU team and has strong LA ties.
concernedparent
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

I see now that Curtis is from Northridge, San Fernando Valley and played at tiny Heritage Christian. Technically that is Los Angeles, so It counts, but it is not really what I am talking about.
What are you talking about then? It's like saying someone from Queens isn't from NYC because they're not from one of the denser boroughs.
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Big C said:

How about "SoCal guys"?

Most AAU players spend more time playing hoops and practicing in their AAU team's city then they do their high school team's. And a lot of private school kids don't live in the city their high school is, either. Not sure why this is so important to continue to argue about and even mock anyway. He plays for an LA AAU team and has strong LA ties.

I'm not mocking. I'm from LA, the big high schools are hotbeds for talent. I want Cal to start landing players from LA again. San Diego is not LA.

I am not criticizing these recruits.
SFCityBear
eastcoastcal said:

Exactly.
SFCityBear
calumnus
concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

What are you talking about then? It's like saying someone from Queens isn't from NYC because they're not from one of the denser boroughs.

Calling Temecula, in San Diego county "LA" is not like calling Queens, NYC. It is more like calling the Hamptons, NYC. Or a small upscale town in rural New Jersey. "NYC."

Anyway, I won't belabor the point.

SFCityBear
Oakbear said:

curious, I read elsewhere that he is 'only' 6-8

big difference, does anyone actually measure these guys??

I know that height inflation is as common as grade inflation,.,.
And now we have the real inflation, price inflation. The price of everything has gone through the roof.
SFCityBear
concernedparent
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Calling Temecula, in San Diego county "LA" is not like calling Queens, NYC. It is more like calling the Hamptons, NYC. Or a small upscale town in rural New Jersey. "NYC."

I'm talking about Northridge.
SFCityBear
Alkiadt said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Right, and his father was a minister. But Cal has had plenty of players from religious schools. Brandon Smith and I think, Jeff Powers from De la Salle. Bishop O'Dowd is not large, with a studentbody of 1200 or so, and is a modern pipeline to Cal, with Ivan Rabb, Paris Austin, and now Bowser and Roberson. Wasn't D. J. Thorpe from a religious school? Cal has had players from St Ignatius and Sacred Heart, I believe.

As to recruiting players from religious schools, it seems to be easier to land players from Protestant schools. The Catholic schools have a strong family tradition of wanting their children to attend Catholic Universities, and many of these universities have been powerhouses in college basketball and football. USF, St Johns's, Marquette, Xavier, Villanova, Gonzaga, and on and on. Back in Pete Newell's day, Cal had no chance to recruit the two high school All-Americans from San Francisco, Fred LaCour and Tom Meschery, LaCour going to USF, and Meschery to St. Marys, both deciding because of the strong influence of their parents. I heard that Cal recently lost out on Mahaney, who chose St Marys, also due to strong influence from his parents.
SFCityBear
calumnus
concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Which is why I said he counts. My good friend KAB is from the Valley. The Valley is part of the City of LA.

In looking at the top players in California, there just are not that many coming from the big LA city schools, and of course UCLA, USC and Arizona are the preferred destination for those few.

It is not a big deal. It is like SF City liking recruits from San Francisco. It is more about hometown pride than a Cal recruiting issue.
Trumpanzee
He must not have been at the UC Davis game.......
OdontoBear66
MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

All my NorCal family calls everything LA & South just LA
Gotta be careful there MB. The OC & I think SD prefer distinction from LA to be sure. I think your family was from north SD county.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

Which is why I said he counts. My good friend KAB is from the Valley. The Valley is part of the City of LA.

In looking at the top players in California, there just are not that many coming from the big LA city schools, and of course UCLA, USC and Arizona are the preferred destination for those few.

It is not a big deal. It is like SF City liking recruits from San Francisco. It is more about hometown pride than a Cal recruiting issue.
#RootedInGranadaHills
CalLifer
KoreAmBear said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

concernedparent said:

calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

calumnus said:

Welcome to Cal!

Both commits are from LA

#RootedInGranadaHills
#NorthridgeRepresent
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.