It's time for a change - Cal needs a new Head Men's Basketball Coach

11,641 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
BearGreg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Mark Fox continuing to be the leader of our basketball program. Beyond the indifference to fan and donor support, beyond the poor scouting and lazy recruiting, he has proven he cannot develop talent. And most importantly, the team is barely competitive at the very lowest levels of D1 Basketball.

Cal Men's Basketball hit an all-time low tonight and it's past time for a change.

Share your thoughts with Jim Knowlton - jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu
GoOskie
If he's fired now, do we have anyone on staff that can be a decent interim?
Alkiadt
GoOskie said:

Who cares? Interim is just a figurehead as they play out the season. They need to clean house at the end of the year and get their **** together.
But to answer your question, Marty Wilson coached at Pepperdine for about 6-7 years, so he's likely to be the fill in. But it really doesn't matter. This team is going to get killed night in and night out.
I feel bad for the players.
eastcoastcal
Any chance Ben Braun wants to come back and be interim for a season? Monty? Even Cuonzo is available
KoreAmBear
Wow e tu Brute? But yes you are so right.
calumnus
GoOskie said:

Marty Wilson is "experienced" like Fox, with a worse record.

I think Andrew Francis would be the best bet. Almost unfair for his first shot at HC to be this mess, but he seems like the smartest and most knowledgeable coach on the staff (including the HC) and would bring some enthusiasm at least.

Would be best for the players and give us a sliver of hope for upside potential and recruiting.

calfanz
I was at the game. OM Goodness. Right behind the bench.

Guards are horrible. Lars is so weak it is pathetic. No shooters, no plays.

The worst part? Horrible body language.

CAN HIM NOW
NVBear78
I predict he is fired tomorrow
KenBurnski
Email sent
PtownBear1
NVBear78 said:

I predict he is fired tomorrow

Obviously, hope you're right, but I predict nothing will happen, other than the AD being busier than usual, spending much of his day coping and pasting some pathetic response to a bunch of angry emails.
cal93
I didn't go to the game, but that is awful and embarrassing.

I did go to the UCI v. LMU game and Russell Turner is a pretty damn good coach. Adjustments, quick player changes, excellent defensive rotations, a true motion offense. Could be a tournament team.

Based on what I've seen here are my UC Basketball Rankings:

1. UCLA
2. UCI
3. UCSB
4. UC-Davis
5. UC-Riverside
6. UCSD
7T. UCSC and UC Merced….the IM teams are pretty good
9. Cal

You can't really do much until Knowlton is gone. He's more than half the problem. We should have just kept Jones…..at least the damage would cost half as much.
cal93
What's a fair over/under on combined basketball and football wins. I'm putting the number at 10. I still might take the under.
Shocky1
when writing jimmy "shell game" k re: terminating the men's head basketball coach, ask him if he feels directly responsible for extending the coach's $1,900,000 annual contract another year from 2024 to 2025 and will therefore be donating a significant portion of his own annual almost $1,000,000 salary, ok?

or does the con game shyster just think alky & califorunate r gonna pay up the vig for the right to have dinner with their friend "mark" & his gracious wife once a year?...that's kinda an expensive dinner but who knows i wuz not there maybe it wuz like nobu malibu or something
BearSD
calfanz said:

The worst part? Horrible body language.
Yeah, that was bad. Especially when contrasted with the energy of the UCSD players.
bearister
KoreAmBear said:

Wow e tu Brute? But yes you are so right.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Shocky1
my wild azz guess is that alky don't got a good financial adviser
stu
BearGreg said:

This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Mark Fox continuing to be the leader of our basketball program. Beyond the indifference to fan and donor support, beyond the poor scouting and lazy recruiting, he has proven he cannot develop talent. And most importantly, the team is barely competitive at the very lowest levels of D1 Basketball.

Cal Men's Basketball hit an all-time low tonight and it's past time for a change.

Share your thoughts with Jim Knowlton - jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu
I agree with all of that except lazy recruiting. Fox may be putting energy into that but due to his other deficiencies he doesn't have much to sell.
bearister
Cal Basketball: The Decision to Hire Mark Fox | Bear Insider

https://bearinsider.com/s/1283/the-decision-to-hire-mark-fox
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sluggo
I want him to stay. He built this team, he sold his vision, now he should have to live with it. If he is fired then his name won't be in the history books for worst season ever of Cal basketball.

Also, his long term replacement probably already has a job and can't be brought in until after the season, so there is no advantage to firing him.
Shocky1
stu, the current men's basketball staff is the least visible p5 team in the united states on the aau circuit according to aau, jc & high school coaches that attend these summertime tournaments

part of that is a function of fox's 4 person staff being the oldest d1 staff in the nation at 200 years combined old

not sure what your metric is stating he's not a lazy recruiter but that's not even remotely close to being an accurate statement

but it's hard to see anything meaningful happen in berkeley until jimmy "shell game" k is walked to his car, he's the original con artist who told fans/donors that he "felt the most comfortable" with mark fox & that billy m is a "genius" (he told me that to my face at a football game when musgrave was hired)
Shocky1
bearister said:

wow, that reads like a buy bitcoin article back in the day, who wrote this article?
tequila4kapp
sluggo said:

I want him to stay. He built this team, he sold his vision, now he should have to live with it. If he is fired then his name won't be in the history books for worst season ever of Cal basketball.

Also, his long term replacement probably already has a job and can't be brought in until after the season, so there is no advantage to firing him.

Firing incompetent people early begins to set a tone around expectations. It starts to change the culture. We desperately need that. (I acknowledge that "early" is in the eye of the beholder. I would have preferred it happen earlier. But doing it early in the middle of the season is a start).
TummyoftheGB
I was also at the game and saw first hand what was obvious to everyone else. Some of the worst (and, specifically, worst coached) D1 basketball i've ever witnessed in person. If it weren't for about 8 phantom fouls and a dubious technical, the game would have been completely out of reach in the first half. Blown out by a team of unrecruited UCSD underclassmen and a UC Irvine transfer. Unbelievable. I thought the program had bottomed out when Chaminade was flexing on national TV, but this was somehow worse, since it's multiple years into Fox's tenure.
tequila4kapp
bearister said:

This part was prescient

"His inability to keep Georgia at the top of the SEC and part of the national discussion can be traced squarely to his inability to recruit enough talent, especially talent that can score. That capped his upside in Athens and will be his biggest challenge in Berkeley"
eastcoastcal
Personally, this is my favorite:

Quote:

Lastly, Fox represents a very high floor. The chances of his not having a measure of success in Berkeley is exceptionally low given his fourteen-year resume as a head man.
sluggo
tequila4kapp said:

sluggo said:

Firing incompetent people early begins to set a tone around expectations. It starts to change the culture. We desperately need that. (I acknowledge that "early" is in the eye of the beholder. I would have preferred it happen earlier. But doing it early in the middle of the season is a start).
Expectations? Cal athletics under Jim Knowlton? What? I have no idea what you are talking about.

I want 30 Fox postgame press conferences where he explains each loss.
stu
Shocky1 said:

stu, the current men's basketball staff is the least visible p5 team in the united states on the aau circuit according to aau, jc & high school coaches that attend these summertime tournaments
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Shocky1 said:

not sure what your metric is stating he's not a lazy recruiter but that's not even remotely close to being an accurate statement
No metric because I don't know what anyone is doing. That's why I said "may be".
sluggo
sluggo said:

tequila4kapp said:

sluggo said:

Expectations? Cal athletics under Jim Knowlton? What? I have no idea what you are talking about.

I want 30 Fox postgame press conferences where he explains each loss.
No video unfortunately, but love this postgame interview where he throws his players under the bus. He is a tremendous leader of men, someone I want my son to be like. He is not winning yet, but when he does, he will win The RIGHT WAY.

https://calbears.com/documents/2022/11/15/2022_11_15_Cal-UCSD_Mark_Fox_Postgame_Radio_Interview_Transcript.pdf
KenBurnski
"This group has proven we have to win everything the hard way."
stu
KenBurnski said:

"This group has proven we have to win everything the hard way."
I'll wait till we win something before evaluating that.
KenBurnski
Seems reasonable but I've learned to never question Mark Fox.
HearstMining
Since I didn't watch the game, I have to ask, did Cal play faster like Fox claimed they would?
sluggo
HearstMining said:

Since I didn't watch the game, I have to ask, did Cal play faster like Fox claimed they would?
Of course not. The next outlet pass Cal throws will be their first.
sluggo
bearister said:

This is the part I find fascinating:

"His X's and O's and teaching pedigree are endorsed in fulsome fashion with his recent tenure with Team USA and the praise he received from coaching luminaries in today's press release. Bear Insider has had a chance to source further references from a half dozen industry experts and the praise has been universal and unstinting. Folks who know Pac-12 basketball exceptionally well and have no affiliation with Cal or with Coach Fox have been effusive in their praise of Fox and the fit at Cal."

Fox's offensive Xs a Os are at maybe the 10th percentile among college coaches. Better than Wyking Jones, comparable to the Kstate coach, but worse than almost every team that passes through. Running so much through the 5 in the high post when Cal has never had a player who can play that role, and setting no screens away from the ball, is just so bad. So was BI talking to equally incompetent "experts"? Or was this coaches who speak no ill of others in the fraternity? If a genie granted me three wishes one would be to talk to these experts about Mark Fox.
parentswerebears
This outcome was set in motion three years ago. When I looked at Georgia, I knew how this would end- Cal basketball in the toilet and Fox as the cause. This was predictable.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.