It's time for a change - Cal needs a new Head Men's Basketball Coach

11,504 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 82gradDLSdad
bearsandgiants
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need emails of Christ since Jim needs to go, and also the regents, since Christ needs to go. The McKeever thing is plenty to toss these clowns out with cause. It's a sick rot that starts at the top.
BC Calfan
Found it. Definition of cringe.

TheFiatLux
BC Calfan said:

I remember many of us saying it at the time... but truly, truly, cringe inducing.
socaltownie
TheFiatLux said:

BC Calfan said:

I remember many of us saying it at the time... but truly, truly, cringe inducing.
The problem is that JK and Christ have shown that this is PRECISELY the kind of coach they want. They LOVE this video. They would HATE deon Sanders videos - and yet he connects so much better with kids.
Take care of your Chicken
tequila4kapp
it is perfectly reasonable for a coach to tell players he's going to challenge them. But the coach's vibe, credibility, level of respect and ability to connect with the players at some level is vital. We saw what happens when those things are missing.
KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

Good work (in finding the video, not Fox' speech lol).
KoreAmBear
tequila4kapp said:

it is perfectly reasonable for a coach to tell players he's going to challenge them. But the coach's vibe, credibility, level of respect and ability to connect with the players at some level is vital. We saw what happens when those things are missing.
The messaging in his first meeting with the players was 'I am going to hold you accountable on and off the court' and 'I love winning.' LOL. Nothing about a vision for each player and the team. More like you have underachieved and I will hold you accountable so that you don't do that. I know managers like that in the workplace. They are not effective. They think managing is correcting and holding people accountable as an end goal. That's not the end goal. That is drudgery. I would say the end goal is to inspire and develop players to do more than they ever could, and to bring about a greater sum than the individual parts. And if I am a manager, to challenge them and make it the best time of their lives because they care about and play for each other.
socaltownie
tequila4kapp said:

Hmmm.....True but......

This is the era of the portal and where talented labor is scarce. There isn't a requirement to be a "players coach" but THEIR interests are paramount. Maybe those clips didn't show up but this is all about tough guy bobby knight bull**** that is about 40 years past its shelf life.

I always think it worth flipping the script here and thinking if these kids were CS wizs and it was a faculty member talking to them. There is no way this **** would fly and the kids would be out the door to a program that promised them mentoring, preparation and connections to the best employers in the world, a faculty member that would take a deep and personal interest in their growth and a challenging ciriculmn that would push them (yes) but do so in a way that showed them a farily direct connection to their chosen profession.

Way too many people do not think about athletes this way - and yet they should because those that excel will make far more than even the best machine learning guru and arguably make a bigger contribution than someone who nails the A/B algorithem so Amazon can sell you more ***** SO it is the muscles of the jump shot rather than their noggins. Big deal.

(PS. And that really is the trend in Egineering education. Maybe 40 years ago there WAS a commitment to weeding out kids and making engineering "hard" so that you fostered personal ambitioun and found the "smart ones." Industry spoke up about the importance of team work and collaboration and nearly any good engineering program worth its salt has worked VERY hard to keep the demanding parts but understand that it is a lot of the 'soft skills" that really make for contributions and that "weed em out and toughen them up" does not produce graduates that are most in demand by industry)
Take care of your Chicken
HoopDreams
a leader should engage and inspire, and show they and have a vision

Fox's approach of discipline and accountability as his primary message is just awful

His opening line about "ONE thing in common" is okay, EXCEPT the one thing he said (we all chose Cal) is horrible.

People don't necessarily remember what you said, but they remember how you made them feel.

I remembered how Fox's made me feel, and how the players left the room as fast as they could get through the door.

But hearing/seeing it again is just gut wrenching.
westcoast101
BearGreg said:

This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Mark Fox continuing to be the leader of our basketball program. Beyond the indifference to fan and donor support, beyond the poor scouting and lazy recruiting, he has proven he cannot develop talent. And most importantly, the team is barely competitive at the very lowest levels of D1 Basketball.

Cal Men's Basketball hit an all-time low tonight and it's past time for a change.

Share your thoughts with Jim Knowlton - jim.knowlton@berkeley.edu

Based on the dug up thread, looks like you were pumping up this crappy hire just three short years ago. Boy have times changed!
cal83dls79
socaltownie said:

TheFiatLux said:

BC Calfan said:

The problem is that JK and Christ have shown that this is PRECISELY the kind of coach they want. They LOVE this video. They would HATE deon Sanders videos - and yet he connects so much better with kids.
had to swallow my puke when I first saw this. Just a horrible fit but speaks volumes of his boss.
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
cal83dls79
Yeah, but can Lars make it to the NBA provided of course he improves his court awareness? Please spare me
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
calumnus
cal83dls79 said:

Yeah, but can Lars make it to the NBA provided of course he improves his court awareness? Please spare me

Right, and it isn't Fox's fault, Cuonzo was worse, he killed Cal basketball, or Jones or Mike Williams, it's their fault. Everybody who transferred was going to transfer anyway. They were not coachable, addition by subtraction. Academic restrictions keep Fox from recruiting or bringing in better transfers. Have you seen Telegraph? No one else would or will coach for the messily $1:7 million per year we are paying, have you seen Bay Area home prices? No one can coach this generation. COVID, no one else had COVID. Fox just needs a $125 million practice facility, how can he be expected to win without one?

Oh, and it is his critics fault, we are too negative and must have an agenda.
KoreAmBear
eastcoastcal said:

Can someone share that video? I've seen it referenced here a few times.
So what did you think of the video?
eastcoastcal
KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

For a while I've believed that at least Fox must be decent at communicating with the players or at least motivating them- because he must be good at something to be retained, right? And that something is obviously not scheme or recruiting. Well, after watching the video I am back to the drawing board on exactly what it is Fox brings to the table.
CalLifer
eastcoastcal said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

For a while I've believed that at least Fox must be decent at communicating with the players or at least motivating them- because he must be good at something to be retained, right? And that something is obviously not scheme or recruiting. Well, after watching the video I am back to the drawing board on exactly what it is Fox brings to the table.
I think he is good at being someone Knowlton can relate to and be comfortable with.
HearstMining
KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

When I first saw the video in 2019, I thought, "These guys want a coach who will lead them out of the land of losing and instead they're being told that it was all their fault because they were lazy".

parentswerebears
CalLifer said:

eastcoastcal said:

KoreAmBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

I think he is good at being someone Knowlton can relate to and be comfortable with.

BINGO!
GMP
We are trailing Southern (lol) at home 13-22. It was 5-17.

When will this nightmare end?

For the record I wrote Knowlton a personal, heartfelt email after the loss to UCSD. I did not get a response.
bearister
He probably wiped his rear with it. That's where we are at.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
tequila4kapp
calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

Right, and it isn't Fox's fault, Cuonzo was worse, he killed Cal basketball, or Jones or Mike Williams, it's their fault. Everybody who transferred was going to transfer anyway. They were not coachable, addition by subtraction. Academic restrictions keep Fox from recruiting or bringing in better transfers. Have you seen Telegraph? No one else would or will coach for the messily $1:7 million per year we are paying, have you seen Bay Area home prices? No one can coach this generation. COVID, no one else had COVID. Fox just needs a $125 million practice facility, how can he be expected to win without one?

Has anyone ever asked Christ or Knowlton why it isn't hard to successfully coach golf, water polo or a rugby at Cal?
KoreAmBear
bearister said:

He probably wiped his rear with it. That's where we are at.

On Dunder Mifflin premium A4 paper?
socaliganbear
tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

Has anyone ever asked Christ or Knowlton why it isn't hard to successfully coach golf, water polo or a rugby at Cal?

The equity & inclusion brigade at Cal are not ready for why the country club sports win yet the sports with a majority black roster do not. It would break their world.
Big C
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

The equity & inclusion brigade at Cal are not ready for why the country club sports win yet the sports with a majority black roster do not. It would break their world.

LOL, I believe you are right.
Bobodeluxe
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

This is bizarrely contradictory. Nice work.
Shocky1
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

this is arguably the most sad & profoundly insightful truth that's ever been revealed at the bear insider.com
calumnus
socaliganbear said:

tequila4kapp said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

I'll bite. Why?
bluesaxe
Shocky1 said:

socaliganbear said:

this is arguably the most sad & profoundly insightful truth that's ever been revealed at the bear insider.com
Maybe you can explain what it actually means, in English.
82gradDLSdad
I'm anxiously awaiting this explanation. In 1977, I walked on the golf team...for one week. It was dropped and relegated to club sport status and stayed a club sport for many years. I guess we were less racist back then?
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

I'm anxiously awaiting this explanation. In 1977, I walked on the golf team...for one week. It was dropped and relegated to club sport status and stayed a club sport for many years. I guess we were less racist back then?

That is the way you read it? Seems to be attacking the "Equity and inclusion brigade" to me.
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

That is the way you read it? Seems to be attacking the "Equity and inclusion brigade" to me.

sarcasm
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sarcasm

Ok, sure, but please explain in complete sentences what you think he was being sarcastic about?
remb8888
Agreed. Get rid of Wilcox. How much longer are we going to give him? Trajectory of the team is not headed in the right direction.

Oh wait am I in the right place
82gradDLSdad
calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sarcasm

Ok, sure, but please explain in complete sentences what you think he was being sarcastic about?

I was being sarcastic.
calumnus
82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

calumnus said:

82gradDLSdad said:

sarcasm

I was being sarcastic.

So was i

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.