Official Bears vs Bobcats Game Thread

10,041 Views | 211 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since it isn't an away game and he can't be "Kiffined," out of respect for and in honor of KAB, he should be fired over a bock at Top Dog.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
calumnus
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

how about ben braun?!!!?!
Because they need a terrible game coach to replace a terrible game coach? Like for like.

Right? Braun's strength was recruiting: players and big donors.
Good recruiter and good eye for talent. Terrible at everything else I understand, since I don't know about donor stuff.

Good network too. Almost landed LeBron as LeBron's hs cosch was Braun's assistant at Eastern Michigan.
KoreAmBear
BearSD said:

Who the hell drew up that play? What a terrible idea.
Who else could it be but our esteemed head coach. Presser should be fun.
KenBurnski
Lol Fox
Oakbear
We remain perfect
HoopDreams

KoreAmBear
Oakbear said:

We remain perfect
I am sure the young men will enjoy seeing other legit teams at the Florida tournament hotel at 0-5. Fox has made them a laughingstock.
sluggo
calumnus said:

sluggo said:

calumnus said:

sluggo said:

HoopDreams said:

how about ben braun?!!!?!
Because they need a terrible game coach to replace a terrible game coach? Like for like.

Right? Braun's strength was recruiting: players and big donors.
Good recruiter and good eye for talent. Terrible at everything else I understand, since I don't know about donor stuff.

Good network too. Almost landed LeBron as LeBron's hs cosch was Braun's assistant at Eastern Michigan.
Who knows about "almost" as there was no way LeBron was going to college. LeBron was also friends with Leon Powe and played for a time with the Soldiers, also in Cal's favor. I saw him play at RSF, one of my top 5 sports memories.
stu
That long pass, if nothing else, should get the coach canned.

Maybe all of our short passers were injured?
DavisBear
This is just ridiculous. Knowlton created this mess, he needs to Fire Fox tonight! If he's not willing to do it, he should quit. Just embarrassing how far Cal basketball has fallen
calumnus
We scored over 50 thanks to great 3 point shooting.
KoreAmBear
stu said:

7.8 seconds and you need to throw a baseball pass. OK.
BearSD
KoreAmBear said:

BearSD said:

Who the hell drew up that play? What a terrible idea.
Who else could it be but our esteemed head coach. Presser should be fun.
Maybe Fox did that because he wants to be canned? Like when Lane Kiffin had the Raiders attempt a 76-yard field goal and then got fired two days later?
sluggo
KoreAmBear said:

stu said:

7.8 seconds and you need to throw a baseball pass. OK.
It sort of made sense. Throw long to LT at top and he quickly kicks to a shooter. Maybe better than dribbling up and being fouled on the dribble. The execution was a little off.

I actually would prefer being fouled, hitting the first and hoping to rebound the second.
oskidunker
If they had been pressing, which fox assumed they would, then ok. But they took off the press and Askew threw in to a crowd even if fox called that play he should not have done it. Except we had everyone in the front court sigh.
Go Bears!
stu
Brown had an uncharacteristic 5 turnovers, maybe the basketball gods did that to make up for Bowser's uncharacteristic 3 threes?
stu
It's only 50-50 a Cal player will even catch that pass, let alone do anything with it. OTOH it runs less clock so we'd have time to commit another foul and enjoy the loss for a few more seconds.
BearSD
oskidunker said:

If they had been pressing, which fox assumed they would, then ok. But they took off the press and Askew threw in to a crowd even if fox called that play he should not have done it. Except we had everyone in the front court sigh.
Of course they didn't have the press on! No one in their right mind would think Texas State would have a backcourt press on when every Cal player except the inbounder started the play in the front court!
sluggo
BC Calfan said:

oskidunker said:

I like Ben Braun but tonight he is full of ***** Lars is still learning? Best players are injured? Really

Seriously. Celestine averaged 7.5 pts per game last year, not like he's Jordan. He comes off the bench for most PAC-12 teams and Clayton was an ok player for Coppin St. Looking forward to Fox singing this tune in postgame.
Celestine would be the best player on the team. But he is a low usage player. As he shot more and more last season he got worse and worse.

Fox said that Cal would make up for lack of scoring with balance. How is that working out?
stu
The team which just beat us shot 34% from the field and 26% on threes. Maybe it was our balanced turnovers?
sosheezy
This is the school that Scott Bakula, Sinbad, and Kathy Ireland played football for lol
tequila4kapp
Honest question - has Knowlton ever fired a coach at Cal? He didn't fire the swim coach who allegedly abused people to the point of considering suicide. He's got incompetent Fox. What am I missing here?
Econ141
sluggo said:

BC Calfan said:

oskidunker said:

I like Ben Braun but tonight he is full of ***** Lars is still learning? Best players are injured? Really

Seriously. Celestine averaged 7.5 pts per game last year, not like he's Jordan. He comes off the bench for most PAC-12 teams and Clayton was an ok player for Coppin St. Looking forward to Fox singing this tune in postgame.
Celestine would be the best player on the team. But he is a low usage player. As he shot more and more last season he got worse and worse.

Fox said that Cal would make up for lack of scoring with balance. How is that working out?

Balance = bad offense and equally bad defense.

I cringe on the days I realize it is a basketball GameDay. Sheesh.
calumnus
tequila4kapp said:

Honest question - has Knowlton ever fired a coach at Cal? He didn't fire the swim coach who allegedly abused people to the point of considering suicide. He's got incompetent Fox. What am I missing here?

He fired Wyking Jones, but only after initially indicating he would retain him and getting massive pushback.
KoreAmBear
tequila4kapp said:

He didn't fire her, but perhaps he can be fired if found to have been derelict in his duty to the student-athletes.
KoreAmBear
oskidunker said:

Newell threw the pass. Great have a freshman take the most important play of the game.
stu
It's a great excuse!
KoreAmBear
I see a Lars and Sam video. No Fox yet. I thought he wasn't gonna allow the players to take the heat for this?
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

tequila4kapp said:

He didn't fire her, but perhaps he can be fired if found to have been derelict in his duty to the student-athletes.

If you tell someone who brings you charges of abuse that one day they will appreciate their abuser and then give the abuser a huge raise and extended contract, isn't that more than derelict? Doesn't that make you culpable?

And if "the University" hires a law firm for $millions to "investigate" and instead absolves the university (chancellor and AD) of wrongdoing, isn't that malfeasance of some kind?
stu
The box score shows attendance 1211, just over 10% of capacity.
sluggo
KoreAmBear said:

I see a Lars and Sam video. No Fox yet. I thought he wasn't gonna allow the players to take the heat for this?
Here you go. Even more excusey than usual. I would ask him last possession of the first half, how do you end up with LT taking a three? Do you have anyone competent on staff to draw up a play?

sluggo
Complains about there only being one guard. Last I checked Askew and Brown are both guards and if you are walking it up they should be able to play all or nearly all of the game. Plus there are many wings who can't handle the ball. I have been complaining that they recruit too few ball handlers as much as too few shooters.
HoopDreams
i give props to the players for actually getting a shot at a tie at the buzzer

a lot of things had to go right to put us in position to do so

also kudos to bowser for hitting three 3s in a row

coach was asking a lot to a player who just hit his first college 3 to take that crunch time shot though

on the other hand they were swarming askew and bowser has length over their defenders so probably an ok play in that situation

i don't have a problem with last desperation play. pass to Lars who is taller then any defender. a different play and the defense just intentionally foul

poor execution but was a hail mary play no matter what we did

THE problem was not those play calls. the problem were the defense, rebounds and turnovers

brown and 2k need to take some responsibility for that as seniors

askew and lars weren't perfect but did their job. for all the criticism of lars (much deserved) he is our second best player (unfortunately). he is getting double and triple teamed because of it.

Sam started to assert himself and get more aggressive in second half but he doesn't have the skills yet to take over as only a soph

unless clayton is a game changer it will be very difficult for things to get substantially better
Big C

Every cloud has a silver lining: I spent the evening with my kids, at home, with the TV off! It was pleasant!
bearister
stu said:

The box score shows attendance 1211, just over 10% of capacity.

That is double the attendance of Cuonzo's NIT loss vs Cal State Bakersfield.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.