Worse Than Wyking

7,360 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
BC Calfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't think it was possible.
stu
At least Jones had a non-zero chance of growing into the job. Not that I would have given him that chance...
sluggo
BC Calfan said:

Marginally better game coach but much, much worse recruiter. Not surprising.
calumnus
sluggo said:

BC Calfan said:

Marginally better game coach but much, much worse recruiter. Not surprising.

Fox is the anti-recruiter. He has repelled more talent than he has brought in. His game day coaching options are self constrained by recruiting a bunch of similarly flawed players, who cannot ever be more than the sum of the parts.
calumnus
Fox is already out to the worst start in Cal's 115 years of basketball history.

Wyking's second year/his last year we beat

Hampton by 12
Santa Clara by 12
San Diego State by 6
Cal Poky by 1
San Jose State by 8

Then went through the long losing streak but finished by beating:

#25 UW by 3
WSU by 7
Stanford by 5

I don't see Fox achieving that OOC record and once he loses the team he does not recover to win the last three.
KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

We could go 0 for 2022. EWU and UT Arlington are no gimmees for us. No one is. We are a gimmee for others. So sad the man has basically taken a sledge hammer to our once proud basketball program. I'm talking about Knowlton!
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

We could go 0 for 2022. EWU and UT Arlington are no gimmees for us. No one is. We are a gimmee for others. So sad the man has basically taken a sledge hammer to our once proud basketball program. I'm talking about Knowlton!

We play Eastern Washington after #14 TCU, USC, and @#14 Arizona. The team will be 0-8 and could be shell shocked.

We will see how good EWU after their game with WSU who beat Texas State by 22 to open the season.
Econ141
I say we keep him and see how many games he loses, then fire him after his first win.
stu
Econ141 said:

I say we keep him and see how many games he loses, then fire him after his first win.
So far the best post of the season!
bearsandgiants
With basketball you are always just one good recruiting season away from a complete turnaround. The coaching change can't come soon enough.
calumnus
bearsandgiants said:

With basketball you are always just one good recruiting season away from a complete turnaround. The coaching change can't come soon enough.

Depending how many scholarships are freed up each year, It may take a few recurring seasons, but the sooner we get started, the sooner the turnaround.
bearister
BC Calfan said:

I think he is in that conversation for sure, but it will take the Jaws of Life* to extract that honor from Wyking.

*He needs 12 more consecutive losses to clip Wyking's school record.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
GMP
bearister said:

BC Calfan said:

I think he is in that conversation for sure, but it will take the Jaws of Life* to extract that honor from Wyking.

First, Wyking lost to way better teams. All but one of those 16 was in conference play.

Second, Fox is at 8 straight, dating back to next year. So he only needs 9 more to eclipse 16.

Third, recruiting is a major part of coaching and this team is far less talented than that Wyking team. Which doesn't speak well of Wyking's in-game coaching, but says more about Fox's overall terribleness.

Fox is officially the worst coach, IMO, no matter how long this streak goes.
HKBear97!
GMP said:

bearister said:

BC Calfan said:

First, Wyking lost to way better teams. All but one of those 16 was in conference play.

Second, Fox is at 8 straight, dating back to next year. So he only needs 9 more to eclipse 16.

Third, recruiting is a major part of coaching and this team is far less talented than that Wyking team. Which doesn't speak well of Wyking's in-game coaching, but says more about Fox's overall terribleness.

Well, Wyking did lose to Chaminade. Now that was a true low point.
BC Calfan
Like Wyking, his disastrous reign involved an altercation and dismissal of an assistant coach (Theo).

I fear we are close to a bad altercation with this team. I noticed poor body language and frustration at the K-State game. SFCity noticed it at the Southern game. Last night Askew got into it with Fox and Lars at different moments. Kuany, the most mild-mannered and sweet kid on the team got a tech.

Fox has lost this team--program really. Fire him for the player's sake.

southseasbear
BC Calfan said:

Like Wyking, his disastrous reign involved an altercation and dismissal of an assistant coach (Theo).

I fear we are close to a bad altercation with this team. I noticed poor body language and frustration at the K-State game. SFCity noticed it at the Southern game. Last night Askew got into it with Fox and Lars at different moments. Kuany, the most mild-mannered and sweet kid on the team got a tech.

Nah, that doesn't matter to Knowlton as long as he still feels "comfortable" with Fox. The players are just plebes who are expected to follow the chain of command.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
HoopDreams
better that players show their fire than just check out mentally

that hasn't happened yet as demonstrated by their late runs in second halves

if later in the season players just mail it home in the second half we will know fox has lost the players

in any respect, i think the players are already playing for each other

BC Calfan said:

bearister
Maybe we have to wait for an away game so we get a tarmac Kiffining.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BC Calfan
southseasbear said:

BC Calfan said:

Nah, that doesn't matter to Knowlton as long as he still feels "comfortable" with Fox. The players are just plebes who are expected to follow the chain of command.
Very true. It's adversity that the players will be thankful for later in life. Once again, Fox playing 3-D chess.
Bobodeluxe
Econ141 said:

Lifetime extension?
calumnus
HKBear97! said:

GMP said:

bearister said:

BC Calfan said:

Chaminade has a history of knocking off even highly ranked teams visiting Hawaii.

Cal does not have a history of losing to teams like UC Davis and UC San Diego at home.

This is the worst start, the worst rated team, in 115 years of Cal basketball history.

That Jones team had a lot of young talent and won its last three conference games. He never lost the team. What are the chances this team wins its last three PAC-12 games?
ColoradoBear
GMP said:

bearister said:

BC Calfan said:

But, but, but... Wyking didn't have to deal with COVID.

KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

After Askew got trapped in the back court with no one helping him (and he had to call a timeout), Askew slammed the basketball down and kind of fumed going to the bench. We can keep losing for so long before something really bad happens.
SanseiBear
calumnus said:

HKBear97! said:

Chaminade has a history of knocking off even highly ranked teams visiting Hawaii.

Cal does not have a history of losing to teams like UC Davis and UC San Diego at home.

This is the worst start, the worst rated team, in 115 years of Cal basketball history.

That Jones team had a lot of young talent and won its last three conference games. He never lost the team. What are the chances this team wins its last three PAC-12 games?

As everyone knows, they knocked off top-ranked Virginia in 1982.
udaman1
What about Kurtis Townsend? He was here with Bozeman, even interviewed after Bozeman left. He's been at Kansas for 15 years with Self. getting $500K right now. $1.3M gets him here. 5 year deal. Turns around the program.
oskidunker
Isnt he a fuclan?
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

Isnt he a fuclan?

He has a job, he is not leaving Kansas mid-season to be an interim coach at Cal, which would be expensive for us with little return. And as for hiring him after the season, he will be 65. Even if he turns out to be good….

I want to hire a young, up and coming coach, who can recruit and bring some excitement.

udaman1
western Kentucky?
udaman1
What about Leggans
BearGoggles
udaman1 said:

What about Kurtis Townsend? He was here with Bozeman, even interviewed after Bozeman left. He's been at Kansas for 15 years with Self. getting $500K right now. $1.3M gets him here. 5 year deal. Turns around the program.

I believe he was knee deep in the ADIDAS/pay for play scandal. Seems like a tough fit since at Cal he'll earn less than the players he was paying in violation of NCAA rules.
GMP
oskidunker said:

Isnt he a fuclan?
His bio ways Western Kentucky.

I know nothing about him but have questions:

1. He's been at Kansas for 18 years.Kansas is Kansas, of course, but they've still had a ton of success there in those 18 years: three national titles, a runner-up, another Final Four, three Elite 8s, etc. Does he have any head coaching aspirations? It seems like he would have gotten a job before if he did.

2. Again, Kansas is Kansas and he's had a lot of success. What does he bring? Is he their lead recruiter? Is he more a Monty-type? Either is fine, I'm just curious.

3. Kansas of course was involved in the recent major NCAA hoops scandal. Was he tainted at all by that?
oskidunker
Dick Kutchen was a NotreDame assistant. We thought we were getting God on Earth when he came. What we got was a-less animated than jim Padgett with a worse record. We need to find someone who has turned crap in to Gold.
Go Bears!
Big C
oskidunker said:

Isnt he a fuclan?

The fuclan was brother Raymond Townsend. Great outside shooter. Family from San Jose.
Bear8995
Econ141 said:

The only problem with this is that it may be 2025 before he wins.
VolunteerReverie
Mark Fox used to be the coach at Georgia from 2009 until 2018. While he had some good victories with the Bulldogs, his teams were largely mediocre.

I hate to say it, but I don't see him lasting the season the rate the Bears are going.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.