What are some names of coaches for next season?

4,278 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bluesaxe
southseasbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You guys are ignoring the most important question which will determine whether Cal can hire Pasternack: Is Knowlton "comfortable" with him?
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
BearSD
eastcoastcal said:

I am going to agree with socal's post about Pasternack- do people have reservations about him other than the kicking incident? I believe he was cleared of any wrongdoing in Arizona. He's a relentless recruiter, west coast ties, was an assistant at a top program, has produced wins as a head coach. And the big donors seem to like him meaning we might see more in NIL, practice facility, etc.

Really seems like a great fit. But maybe I'm missing something.
If Pasternack is the guy who would motivate Cal donors to pass out truckloads of NIL money and therefore bring in a steady pipeline of elite recruits, then he should get the job.

stu
BC Calfan said:

Not advocating for Bellarmine's head coach, but came across the below video and article last week. They have an innovative offense that involves very little dribbling that puts real pressure on opposing defenses. The ball and players are constantly in motion unlike some offense we know.
Dating myself here, but I'm reminded of Ralph Miller's Oregon State teams (though they were much faster).
OneTopOneChickenApple
BC Calfan said:

Not advocating for Bellarmine's head coach, but came across the below video and article last week. They have an innovative offense that involves very little dribbling that puts real pressure on opposing defenses. The ball and players are constantly in motion unlike some offense we know.

The Team That Doesn't Dribble (Video)

A Look At Bellarmine's Uniquely Challenging Offense (Article)

Wow, I love this. This is what Cal needs, a system that doesn't rely on consistent 4-5 star recruits. I would definitely watch this - teamwork, all players are equal, nobody standing around, no looking for 3 pt shot every second.

The way basketball should be played, especially for Cal.
4thGenCal
southseasbear said:

You guys are ignoring the most important question which will determine whether Cal can hire Pasternack: Is Knowlton "comfortable" with him?
Not sure and I would definitely support Joe, only coach who took the time to go scout Jeremy Lin at Paly HS and offered him on the spot. Cal is his dream job and with his close connections recruiting wise to Prolithic Prep, Oakland Soldiers and the West Coast, along with Very close relationships with some key donors, would be ideal for Cal. The question is that He has a very good job currently with little stress (Bob Williams coached there for 20+ seasons and finally left after a few horrible seasons in a row). He lives a mile from the Beach, strong administrative and student support as well. However, He understands Cal, Has quality HC experience, His in laws are from the Peninsula and He really enjoyed being on the staff here. Joe would definitely bring back key former players and the support amongst Sean Marks, Richard Midgely, Theo, Jordan Wilkes, Leon Powe and several others would be counted on. His work ethic is off the charts and I strongly would/will support him - but He needs to decide if He wants to pursue it. For now Joe would appropriately focus on His UCSB team and only after the season decide His next steps. Joe would be very effective in raising the key "NIL" monies as that is what it is now nearly all about. Andre Kelly is very happy playing for him this season.
calumnus
BearSD said:

eastcoastcal said:

I am going to agree with socal's post about Pasternack- do people have reservations about him other than the kicking incident? I believe he was cleared of any wrongdoing in Arizona. He's a relentless recruiter, west coast ties, was an assistant at a top program, has produced wins as a head coach. And the big donors seem to like him meaning we might see more in NIL, practice facility, etc.

Really seems like a great fit. But maybe I'm missing something.
If Pasternack is the guy who would motivate Cal donors to pass out truckloads of NIL money and therefore bring in a steady pipeline of elite recruits, then he should get the job.

Yes, if he can do that I'm in. At least he had practice at Arizona.
PtownBear1
southseasbear said:

I'm going to guess no as anyone successful wouldn't be at all relatable.
southseasbear
PtownBear1 said:

southseasbear said:

This was my point! I have no confidence whatsoever that Knowlton is capable of hiring a competent let alone good coach. He will rely on a search firm and then make a final decision based on how "comfortable" he feels. What is important to him is that HE is comfortable with the coach, not the players or the recruits. This is not the military where soldiers don't have to be comfortable with their CO.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
tequila4kapp
Fox is the functional equivalent of Musgrave and Angus - literally off the charts incompetent. ANYONE - like, even myself - will do a better job. Whenever Fox is finally fired things WILL be demonstrably better. Doesn't matter if it is a completely boring and uninspiring retread. The hire only affects our ceiling.
BC Calfan
ncbears said:

Legans' Portland squad gave North Carolina a scare and a fight on Thanksgiving, even if they came up just short.
He's got Izzo's endorsement! For me, at this moment it's 1. Joe P then 2. Shantay

CalLifer
BC Calfan said:

ncbears said:

Legans' Portland squad gave North Carolina a scare and a fight on Thanksgiving, even if they came up just short.
He's got Izzo's endorsement! For me, at this moment it's 1. Joe P then 2. Shantay

Are we sure that Knowlton knows who Tom Izzo is? I'm sure he'd look at that quote and wonder why he should listen to some rando when he can hire Mark Gottfried or Herb Sendek, "proven" P5 coaches.
calumnus
BC Calfan said:

ncbears said:

Ok, I first want us to at least talk with Gates. Consult Shareef, Kidd, Marks get some great candidates, maybe NBA assistants …. But all things being equal, I'd prefer Legans to Pasternak. Of course, if the "big donors" are willing to put big money into backing Pasternak with NIL, facilities etc, and they wouldn't do that for Legans, then things aren't equal. NIL is the future (but not with a coach like Mark Fox).
bluesaxe
socaltownie said:

The ONLY downside is that I am not sure they will let Roxie call the game as his brother in law but lord knows we have seen Furd homer annoucers so maybe they will.

Bill Walton called games that Luke played in. Ted Robinson has his nose stuck so far up Stanford's rear that you can barely hear him, and that's not a problem. This shouldn't be either.
bluesaxe
southseasbear said:

PtownBear1 said:

southseasbear said:

This was my point! I have no confidence whatsoever that Knowlton is capable of hiring a competent let alone good coach. He will rely on a search firm and then make a final decision based on how "comfortable" he feels. What is important to him is that HE is comfortable with the coach, not the players or the recruits. This is not the military where soldiers don't have to be comfortable with their CO.
Perhaps the donors who have to pay could make him more comfortable. As in, money for this guy, not for that guy, are you comfortable with that?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.