What are some names of coaches for next season?

4,314 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bluesaxe
KoreAmBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's get this list going and send it to Knowlton and maybe he can pay us $50,000 and we can have a massive party.

*** NO MORE RETREADS ***

I'll start:

• Russell Turner, UCI
  • Jim Les, UC Davis
  • Eran Ganot, Hawaii (from the Randy Bennett tree, Monty's son is assistant)
  • Theo Robertson -- take a risk here
  • Todd Simon, Southern Utah
  • Randy Bennett -- I know why would he do that
  • Shanty Legans
  • Travis Decuire -- Part Trois?
  • Dennis Gates -- looks like he's out of reach now ugh

Let's vet this out on our own.
LongTimeBearFan
What about the kicker? His name always comes up and is apparently the favorite choice of one of the big donors who could pay off the Fox buyout....
KoreAmBear
LongTimeBearFan said:

What about the kicker? His name always comes up and is apparently the favorite choice of one of the big donors who could pay off the Fox buyout....
Yes after the stench that is Fox, I would be fine with the kicker. He's Roxy's brother in law and knows Cal. Also has good west coast basketball connections. He might be the leader for me.

Downside is he learned Xs and Os under Braun and Donut Boy. Not good. I want someone that knows Monty half court offense or one that works well. I am so sick of Braun, Cuonzo and Fox half court offense.
calfanz
Pasternack ucsb
legans portland
stan johnson lmu
cal83dls79
Theo, Shante or Gates. They know the cal culture which is absolutely crucial.
cal93
Who is Donut Boy and the Kicker? I'm lost…..
socaltownie
Pasternack is the kicker for an incident with Jorge when he was an assistant with Sean Miller. He was an assistant under braun. He is my first choice. Recruits like a demon and gets west coast.
Take care of your Chicken
socaltownie
As students. Different than as a coach. That is why turner or pasternack get that column. Flip side is that they can likely recruit.
socaltownie
KoreAmBear said:

LongTimeBearFan said:

Yes after the stench that is Fox, I would be fine with the kicker. He's Roxy's brother in law and knows Cal. Also has good west coast basketball connections. He might be the leader for me.

Downside is he learned Xs and Os under Braun and Donut Boy. Not good. I want someone that knows Monty half court offense or one that works well. I am so sick of Braun, Cuonzo and Fox half court offense.

I understand that but I want recruiting chops. Offense can be learned. I would look at ucsb offense stats to get a better read.
JB was a Chieftain
Steve Nash
Theo Robertson
Andrew Francis
Lou Richie

Dream Team!!!
cal83dls79
JB was a Chieftain said:

I'd give Steve Nash a call
yes. And do you remember Choo Choo Young? Tackled him twice on one play.
cal83dls79
socaltownie said:

As students. Different than as a coach. That is why turner or pasternack get that column. Flip side is that they can likely recruit.
the fact Theo went to my high school and hugged me after storming the court has absolutely no bearing on my opinion. I'm sticking to my guns here. Wanted gates 4 years ago and look at the abject disaster this program is
Bobodeluxe
cal83dls79 said:

JB was a Chieftain said:

I'd give Steve Nash a call
yes. And do you remember Choo Choo Young? Tackled him twice on one play.
Much younger brother to twins Roland and Ronald Young. One qb'd at San Jose State, the other stared, and was injured on the Stanford Frosh team. Never recovered.
KoreAmBear
socaltownie said:

KoreAmBear said:

LongTimeBearFan said:

I understand that but I want recruiting chops. Offense can be learned. I would look at ucsb offense stats to get a better read.
Yes we need a jolt in recruiting. The Kicker can kick us into gear.
KoreAmBear
cal93 said:

Who is Donut Boy and the Kicker? I'm lost…..
Haha

Donut Boy

Kicker

During the Braun area some of the posters (I believe the Donte Smith fans) used to call him the Video Kid. He has grown up to probably shed these monikers. Kind of like how we posted the Wilcox gif licking his lips a lot, until he became our head coach.
KoreAmBear
The new USF coach Chris Gerlufsen is 6-0. Are they building a coaching factory across the Bay? Three in a row and we get stuck with you know who.
sonofabear51
Bennett ain't coming. He also has Mahaney now. No way.
DeCuire, Theo, Gates, even Pasternak. Sure. Anything of those.
But time to reach out, do something different. Come on Cal admin, you are better than this. Put your thinking cap on and lets roll. Or if the 4 I list you don't like, then find another unknown without using a 'search firm'.

C'mon, Start Making Sense!!
Start Slowly and taper off
KoreAmBear
sonofabear51 said:

But time to reach out, do something different. Come on Cal admin, you are better than this. Put your thinking cap on and lets roll. Or if the 4 I list you don't like, then find another unknown without using a 'search firm'.

Knowlton's search firm is going to spit out:

Bruce Weber.
cal83dls79
sonofabear51 said:

you really trust these guys to "put their thinking caps on"? Look where that's gotten us…..not only the cellar of the pac but the nation.
BC Calfan
Other names:

Mark Turgeon - Currently Available - Took Maryland to Tournament in 5 of past 7 seasons before he resigned.

Dedrique Taylor - Cal St. Fulllerton - Took team to Tournament twice in past 5 seasons, has won Big West Tournament twice, young (48) black coach from SoCal.

Leon Rice - Boise St. - 247-147 record last 12 seasons. Coached 11 years at Gonzaga with Few, coached for Team USA.
socaliganbear
The answer is another retread?
calfanz
Really Liking the idea of Steve Nash.

We could back load his contract, as he will be getting paid by the Nets for 2 more years.

Hire one former player (Theo/Jerome or Ryan Anderson)

One super recruiter TBA

And one gel guy.

CalLifer
KoreAmBear said:

sonofabear51 said:

Bruce Weber.
I know this is in jest, KAB, but Bruce Weber's record is so far superior to Mark Fox's that I don't think it's a great comparison. He has been to the NCAA tournament the majority of his coaching years and has been to a final four (his second year at illinois he had a 37-2 record and made the final four, at least if his sports-reference page is correct). He is old and a retread, so I wouldn't want to hire him, but him and Fox are in *very* different classes in terms of past results.

I think Herb Sendek would be a much more Fox-like hire (tho i think sendek is still probably better than Fox).
KoreAmBear
CalLifer said:

KoreAmBear said:

sonofabear51 said:

Bruce Weber.
I know this is in jest, KAB, but Bruce Weber's record is so far superior to Mark Fox's that I don't think it's a great comparison. He has been to the NCAA tournament the majority of his coaching years and has been to a final four (his second year at illinois he had a 37-2 record and made the final four, at least if his sports-reference page is correct). He is old and a retread, so I wouldn't want to hire him, but him and Fox are in *very* different classes in terms of past results.

I think Herb Sendek would be a much more Fox-like hire (tho i think sendek is still probably better than Fox).
True. And I think Sendek is smart and he can recruit. Slightly better than Braun. Maybe the search committee machine would spit out: Mark Gottfried.
cal83dls79
cal83dls79 said:

sonofabear51 said:

you really trust these guys to "put their thinking caps on"? Look where that's gotten us…..not only the cellar of the pac but the nation.
I just noticed sonof refers to thinking cap in the singular. Explains a lot.
Ccajon2
Like all the above listed by KAB. One not listed here I like is Mark Madson.
*Played for Monty.
* Deleted
*Turned around Utah Valley st. From 11-19 to conference title in one season.
*Played in the NBA and Pac-12.
*Liked the way he played, one of my fav non Cal players.
ncbears
Legans' Portland squad gave North Carolina a scare and a fight on Thanksgiving, even if they came up just short.
BC Calfan
Not advocating for Bellarmine's head coach, but came across the below video and article last week. They have an innovative offense that involves very little dribbling that puts real pressure on opposing defenses. The ball and players are constantly in motion unlike some offense we know.

The Team That Doesn't Dribble (Video)

A Look At Bellarmine's Uniquely Challenging Offense (Article)

KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

Not advocating for Bellarmine's head coach, but came across the below video and article last week. They have an innovative offense that involves very little dribbling that puts real pressure on opposing defenses. The ball and players are constantly in motion unlike some offense we know.

I love it. This would be a helpful strategy to address our lack of available guards as Fox reminds us of every interview.
BeachedBear
BC Calfan said:

Very Cool. Two thoughts:

1. I'm pretty sure my sons Middle School coach ran a very similar offense - primarily because that team was 'handle-challenged' - to put it nicely.

2. At least coaches like this are trying to be innovative to find success. The current staff continues to fall farther and farther behind while stubbornly sticking to failed methods. All the time expecting a different result. I belive Einstein had a funny quip about that type of behavior.
BC Calfan
BeachedBear said:

2. At least coaches like this are trying to be innovative to find success. The current staff continues to fall farther and farther behind while stubbornly sticking to failed methods. All the time expecting a different result. I belive Einstein had a funny quip about that type of behavior.
Agreed. Also, it's pleasing to the eye and gives a puncher's chance of winning with inferior talent. 2 qualities I'd appreciate for Cal basketball.
ncbears
Legans story:
A Full Feast Week For The WCC - West Coast Conference (wccsports.com)
socaltownie
The kicker is 88 and 34. This is the most no brainer of no brainers. He long has expressed that Cal is his "dream job". He was lead recruiter in California for Arizona. He has worked now 5 years for the UC System. A group of wealthy donors are ready to step up to support the practice facility (though unclear whether at the price tag of Jim the scam artist Knowleton). He is in his mid40s - providing an opportunity to actually build something.

Really it isn't hard. And the more that the BI folks get consensus on this point and start yelling it at JK we hopefully get movement in that direction.

https://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-baskbl/coaches/Pasternack-Joe?view=bio

The ONLY downside is that I am not sure they will let Roxie call the game as his brother in law but lord knows we have seen Furd homer annoucers so maybe they will.

PS. But actually I know it won't happen. The small but vocal group of donors that look down their noses at the rest of the system will kill it. How DARE Cal take someone from the non flagships (even though UC explicitly does NOT have a formal flagship). Of course we can LOSE to UCs (thank god we don't play the gauchos this year) but I know that old guard will ***** and moan about hiring that way.
eastcoastcal
I am going to agree with socal's post about Pasternack- do people have reservations about him other than the kicking incident? I believe he was cleared of any wrongdoing in Arizona. He's a relentless recruiter, west coast ties, was an assistant at a top program, has produced wins as a head coach. And the big donors seem to like him meaning we might see more in NIL, practice facility, etc.

Really seems like a great fit. But maybe I'm missing something.
socaltownie
eastcoastcal said:

I am going to agree with socal's post about Pasternack- do people have reservations about him other than the kicking incident? I believe he was cleared of any wrongdoing in Arizona. He's a relentless recruiter, west coast ties, was an assistant at a top program, has produced wins as a head coach. And the big donors seem to like him meaning we might see more in NIL, practice facility, etc.

Really seems like a great fit. But maybe I'm missing something.
I really think it will be working at as "lesser" UC will kill him. Cal almost NEVER hires that way for any position. It is such a blind spot but it is what it is.

I _REALLY_ hope I am wrong because I think of all the names he is the guy that will finally kill it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.