What are some names of athletic directors for next season?

1,341 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Econ141
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Following KoreAmBear's thread regarding coaches: Let's get this list going and send it to Christ and maybe she can pay us $50,000 and we can have a massive party.

I have no names but I do have some ideas what to look for. Someone who:

* has resuscitated a moribund D1 program.

* has led a successful D2 to D1 transition.

* understands revenue and non-revenue sports.

* understands academics

* understands current issues (NIL, transfers, etc.)

* can identify and hire great coaches.

* can communicate with fans and donors.

Anyone have names?

edit: Nobody from a service academy. They're good at war but expected to lose ball games.
annarborbear
To save time, rule out all former Ice Hockey players and military academy AD's. No charge, Carol, for this advice.
KoreAmBear
Well played. We can get two $50,000 search firm fees into our BI happy hour kitty. Where's the first one? Jupiter? That actually gives me the idea -- we should have a pre-game/post-game get together one of these days.
BC Calfan
Don't know one thing about the assistant athletic director at UCLA but that person would seem like a good candidate.
calumnus
Patrick Chun, WSU's AD
https://wsucougars.com/staff-directory/pat-chun/381

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Chun

Nationally recognized leader. Makes really good hires in football and basketball especially in view of the limitations at WSU. Visionary. Young and media savvy. Great fundraiser. B1G roots at Ohio State and strong connection to USC's, UCLA's and Stanford's ADs (key to our future). Would be an especially good hire for connection students and alumni with the athletics department at a school that has long been majority Asian American.

He probably wants out of Pullman, where he became the target of anti mask//antivax local politicians and activists who protested at his home and put videos of his young daughters and his house up on Facebook, then when he got upset about that, got the local police involved.
Shocky1
there's only one person who will be ready to clean up jim knowlton's bureaucratic mess of lazy azz employees who are working together to deemphasize football & basketball

there's only one person will knows all the dead zones (having worked in the athletic department for 26 years), who understands gameday traditions as a berkeley grad & will be ready day 1 at 7:17 am to make the necessary informed decisions to move the football & basketball programs forward

that person is former pasatiempo high school quarterback & current cal football chief of staff andrew mcgraw

vote for andrew mcgraw for athletic director

the time is now#
calumnus
Shocky1 said:

there's only one person who will be ready to clean up jim knowlton's bureaucratic mess of lazy azz employees who are working together to deemphasize football & basketball

there's only one person will knows all the dead zones (having worked in the athletic department for 26 years), who understands gameday traditions as a berkeley grad & will be ready day 1 at 7:17 am to make the necessary informed decisions to move the football & basketball programs forward

that person is former pasatiempo high school quarterback & current cal football chief of staff andrew mcgraw

vote for andrew mcgraw for athletic director

the time is now#

What is clearly good about this option is it could be implemented immediately at virtually no cost (an upgrade to McGraw's salary).

Knowlton's contract extensions have tied the hands of the next AD so we will be in a hole for awhile, but the first rule when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging.

It will take awhile to get out from Knowlton's mistakes, if they are not fatal, but at least he woukd not be able to make more.
Econ141
I think we need someone analogous to the transfer portal - someone that can come in right away and plug this huge hole we have. An AD transfer from some school on the B1G who knows what it takes to run a big time program and can enact some change to this administration. I know that this will be very hard to find especially when the current admin probably wants someone who is not going to rock the boat (a la a Knowlton replica). This is why I am starting to concede that Cal is a failed state.
Intuit
How about the Penn State AD - rumor has it she enjoys the left coast
Harborview
calbear80
Intuit said:

I would love to bring Sandy back. We did not appreciate her nearly enough and she was pushed out by that idiot misfit Chancellor (the one who came from Columbia and we all prefer to forget about his time at Cal).

Bring Back Resoect to Cal FB, MBB and WBB!

Go Bears!
calumnus
calbear80 said:

Intuit said:

I would love to bring Sandy back. We did not appreciate her nearly enough and she was pushed out by that idiot misfit Chancellor (the one who came from Columbia and we all prefer to forget about his time at Cal).

Go Bears!

The fans, especially the insiders and big donors, hated her for firing Tedford and then for hiring Dykes. She was absolutely hated on this board, almost as much as people hated Dykes. Then they hated Williams even more, even often blaming him for Dykes, who he did not hire and fired much to their joy.

She would be a huge improvement over Knowlton, though she may be implicated in the McKeever report too. We have already seen people try to absolve Knowlton by blaming his predecessors.
PtownBear1
stu said:

Following KoreAmBear's thread regarding coaches: Let's get this list going and send it to Christ and maybe she can pay us $50,000 and we can have a massive party.

* understands academics

Anyone have names?

edit: Nobody from a service academy. They're good at war but expected to lose ball games.

My first criteria would be to hire someone who actually gives a sh*t about the university and its reputation and finances.
Bobodeluxe
PtownBear1 said:

stu said:

* understands academics

Anyone have names?

My first criteria would be to hire someone who actually gives a sh*t about the university and its reputation and finances.
So, not a poster here?
PtownBear1
Bobodeluxe said:

PtownBear1 said:

stu said:

* understands academics

Anyone have names?

So, not a poster here?

Huh? I feel pretty confident in saying that every single poster on this forum cares more about Cal than Knowlton based on his actions and inactions the past few years.
calumnus
PtownBear1 said:

Bobodeluxe said:

PtownBear1 said:

stu said:

* understands academics

Anyone have names?

So, not a poster here?

Huh? I feel pretty confident in saying that every single poster on this forum cares more about Cal than Knowlton based on his actions and inactions the past few years.

Well especially given he is PAID $1 million a year to care, while we PAY because we care.

He took less than a week to hire a Cal basketball coach and said he only interviewed two candidates. Like it was just something on his checklist he wanted to get over with. I am confident most here would love to be interviewing and searching for the best Cal basketball coach possible, before even adding the $1 million a year to do it.
Econ141
calumnus said:

calbear80 said:

Intuit said:

Go Bears!

The fans, especially the insiders and big donors, hated her for firing Tedford and then for hiring Dykes. She was absolutely hated on this board, almost as much as people hated Dykes. Then they hated Williams even more, even often blaming him for Dykes, who he did not hire and fired much to their joy.

She would be a huge improvement over Knowlton, though she may be implicated in the McKeever report too. We have already seen people try to absolve Knowlton by blaming his predecessors.

She got the last laugh on Sonny. She was ahead of her times.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.