Official Bears vs Horny Frogs Game Thread

5,232 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by HoopDreams
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If TCU keeps fouling we'll reach 50. Why are they fouling in the last 2 minutes?
Oakbear
C'mon we can hit 50
stu
Nope. But we did hold TCU to 52% from the line!
Go!Bears
stu said:

Compared to this, the football game was fun.
Oakbear
Oakbear said:

C'mon we can hit 50
So close lol
CalGrad95
calumnus said:

bearister said:

We may not score 50.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner! (Obviously not CAL MBB)
KoreAmBear
I decided to step away. Uncle Buck is on. Yes I'd rather watch Uncle Buck.
calumnus
Go!Bears said:

stu said:

Compared to this, the football game was fun.

I actually enjoyed the football game. We looked like a good team going up against a better team.
movielover
No bueno. Not a single scorer? No offense, just like FB.
Econ141
We had 6 assists in the night. Great team play - just came up a little short.

Fox still has another year to correct the ship.
dmh65
If you look on the bright side.. Uh, I got nothing folks. We're one game closer to the end of the season?

Or, we're approaching football signing day? Help me out here..
calumnus
Econ141 said:

Needs to be extended "for recruiting" plus he is a development coach, so we first need to raise $125 million and build the dedicated practice facility before he can be terminated. Anything else wouldn't be fair to such a "good man." He is "doing it the right way." "invest and attack"
movielover
There has to be at least one scorer on campus playing A league IMs who starred in high school, who was overlooked.
Econ141
calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Needs to be extended "for recruiting" plus he is a development coach, so we first need to raise $125 million and build the dedicated practice facility before he can be terminated. Anything else wouldn't be fair to such a "good man." He is "doing it the right way." "invest and attack"

Hey, you can't fault Knowlton when he "just had a good feeling" about Fox.
Golden One
We just might go 0-31 this regular season! Wow! That's a record that will never be broken.
calumnus
Golden One said:

We just might go 0-31 this regular season! Wow! That's a record that will never be broken.

But could be matched if we just keep extending him.
HoopDreams
As bad as our offense was, our defense was often worse

I would hate to see a shot chart for this game as 80% of TCU's scoring was from close range

Their 6-7 athletic players were more athletic and skilled and more fundamental than our 6-7 athletic players

Their dribble drive offense rarely resulted in a 3 point shot taken because option 1 In that offense (scoring in the paint) was so successful

Hate to pick on a freshmen but his defensive fundamentals are not good

And seemingly no one could keep their slashers in front of them
Big C

Well, I entirely missed the game, possibly because, in an effort to protect my psyche, my brain has completely repressed the Cal Basketball schedule. Watched a mediocre movie with my kids instead.

Nobody posted a final score on this thread. I'm assuming it's different people that complain about Joe Starkey never mentioning what's going on in the game.

Anyway, so I'm assuming we won, right? I figure we scored a bunch of points, because I heard Sonny Dykes is at TCU now and I know his defenses suck.

Go Bears! (Don't anybody remind me when our next game is, please.)
stu
HoopDreams said:

TCU made just 3 of 17 threes and most of those were good looks. Our defense would have looked much worse if a few of those had gone in.

We also gave up 14 offensive rebounds on 34 missed shots, that's 41%. Only got 7 TCU turnovers too.
Econ141
Big C said:

Well, I entirely missed the game, possibly because, in an effort to protect my psyche, my brain has completely repressed the Cal Basketball schedule. Watched a mediocre movie with my kids instead.

Nobody posted a final score on this thread. I'm assuming it's different people that complain about Joe Starkey never mentioning what's going on in the game.

Anyway, so I'm assuming we won, right? I figure we scored a bunch of points, because I heard Sonny Dykes is at TCU now and I know his defenses suck.

Sorry man - I can't suffer through this alone. Next game is in less than 14 hours.
Big C
Econ141 said:

Big C said:

Sorry man - I can't suffer through this alone. Next game is in less than 14 hours.

Thanks for nothing.
bearsandgiants
We won the free throw competition but have a few areas of focus for improvement.
STEAKKNIVES4LIFE
Quote:

"I thought that we created the style of game that we wanted to create," Cal head coach Mark Fox said.
Civil Bear
HoopDreams said:

I would hate to see a shot chart for this game as 80% of TCU's scoring was from close range

Their 6-7 athletic players were more athletic and skilled and more fundamental than our 6-7 athletic players

Their dribble drive offense rarely resulted in a 3 point shot taken because option 1 In that offense (scoring in the paint) was so successful

Yet despite that TCU was held to under .400 shooting.

I thought the defense looked fine, particularly compared to the offense. The problem was the turnovers (19-7) and the rebounding (14-5 OR's). The difference in the game was TCU took 17 more shots and 5 more free-throws.
Gkhoury2325
CAL4LIFE said:

Quote:

"I thought that we created the style of game that we wanted to create," Cal head coach Mark Fox said.

Damn Knowlton even looks lost in the pic. Cal is screwed.
HoopDreams
looking at the box score, you are right about the poor rebounding and turnovers

i only saw the second half and seemed like players were slashing and scoring at will or getting fouled and sometimes with passes into the post which were wide open when okofor was in

and yes, the offense was poor but i expected that, which is a given at this point

the contrast between the two offenses was stark. both teams handed off or passed. the difference was when a tcu player got the hand off or pass they immediately drove, whereas when a cal player got the ball they passed along the perimeter or even angled away from the basket to relieve pressure and make a safer pass

tcu's offense put a lot more pressure on cal's defense than visa versa

Civil Bear said:

HoopDreams said:

Yet despite that TCU was held to under .400 shooting.

I thought the defense looked fine, particularly compared to the offense. The problem was the turnovers (19-7) and the rebounding (14-5 OR's). The difference in the game was TCU took 17 more shots and 5 more free-throws.
bearister
Something to keep in mind when targeting players:
"Warriors veteran Klay Thompson has been shooting the ball better since he decided to stop scrolling the comment sections of his social media platforms, and he doesn't think it's just a coincidence."
- Bay Area News Group
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
CalGrad95
Econ141 said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Hey, you can't fault Knowlton when he "just had a good feeling" about Fox.
Pretty sure it was just indigestion
tequila4kapp
CAL4LIFE said:

Quote:

I saw that quote and it made me cringe
Gkhoury2325
Tequila4kapp, not only does the comment make one cringe, it tells you that Knowlton has no clue what the hell he is doing as AD. Now he is spewing BS as if other folks cannot figure what the hell is going on with Fox. He is waiting to fire Fox after April 30, 2023, to save 500k is ridiculous. Knowlton should be **** canned asap.
movielover
Golden One said:

Let's say they go 5-26. Could Fox be fired for cause - gross mismanagement?

Ideally pull the trigger before the end of the year to be prepared, and to be first on line for top candidates.
tequila4kapp
Gkhoury2325 said:

Tequila4kapp, not only does the comment make one cringe, it tells you that Knowlton has no clue what the hell he is doing as AD. Now he is spewing BS as if other folks cannot figure what the hell is going on with Fox. He is waiting to fire Fox after April 30, 2023, to save 500k is ridiculous. Knowlton should be **** canned asap.
I have advocated firing him asap to support the guys and start creating a tone around expectations. Given how far we are from being competitive I can actually see waiting so as to save money. He's likely going to have to go to the big donors to cover this. It'll be an easier convo with a full season of putrid results and with his hand out for less money.
stu
CAL4LIFE said:

Quote:

I think he meant an ugly, low scoring game where the underdog has a chance to win by hitting a couple of shots they usually miss. Knowlton probably agrees, try to keep the score down to that of a hockey game.
Big C
Econ141 said:

Big C said:

Oops, I missed another game! What's with me lately?!?

We must have won today, right? Hey, even if we didn't, weren't we playing Clemson? They've been one of the very top teams in the country for the last decade... Wait, that might be in football, but still... some revenue sport, anyway.

Cal Fans, get on your feet! And prepare yourselves for one of the biggest in-season turnarounds EVER!!! Looks like we're playing U$C this next Wednesday... at the Haas! I think I'm going to make this one (unless I forget again). Safe to say the Trojans will come in overconfident. Just where we want them. See you there (again, unless I forget)!

Go Bears!
Econ141
Big C said:

Econ141 said:

Big C said:

Oops, I missed another game! What's with me lately?!?

We must have won today, right? Hey, even if we didn't, weren't we playing Clemson? They've been one of the very top teams in the country for the last decade... Wait, that might be in football, but still... some revenue sport, anyway.

Cal Fans, get on your feet! And prepare yourselves for one of the biggest in-season turnarounds EVER!!! Looks like we're playing U$C this next Wednesday... at the Haas! I think I'm going to make this one (unless I forget again). Safe to say the Trojans will come in overconfident. Just where we want them. See you there (again, unless I forget)!

Go Bears!

We unfortunately did not win. But no reason to panic ... we are exactly where we want to be - we still control our destiny. In fact, we can just keep losing until the conference tourney at which point we simply need to a handful of back-to-back games to make the the dance. Patience is a virtue.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.