It's time for a change - Cal needs a new Athletic Director

5,644 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
panda
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Jim Knowlton continuing to be the leader of our athletic department. Beyond the indifference to giving Wilcox (a coach who has a 6-25 record against winning FBS teams) an insane contract extension, beyond the Teri McKeever allegations of mishandling, he has proven he cannot hire nor keep his coaches accountable for results as evident by his refusal to fire Fox yet. And most importantly, his reckless handouts of extensions not only cost Cal $$$ but also craters fan support even more.

Cal sports hit an all-time low tonight and it's past time for a change.

Share your thoughts with Carol Christ - chancellor@berkeley.edu
dimitrig
panda said:

This is beyond embarrassing. No one is being helped by Jim Knowlton continuing to be the leader of our athletic department. Beyond the indifference to giving Wilcox (a coach who has a 6-25 record against winning FBS teams) an insane contract extension, beyond the Teri McKeever allegations of mishandling, he has proven he cannot hire nor keep his coaches accountable for results as evident by his refusal to fire Fox yet. And most importantly, his reckless handouts of extensions not only cost Cal $$$ but also craters fan support even more.

Share your thoughts with Carol Christ - chancellor@berkeley.edu

Is there anyone other than Christ that pressure can be applied to such as a Board of Trustees, Executive Council or some other entity that Christ must answer to? UC Regents, obviously, but is there any such oversight committee at the campus level?

KoreAmBear
Each passing game will be an all time low. We will be 0-9 before we have a chance to win a game. And beating EWU is no sure thing.
Econ141
At this point we should simply fire him and don't even hire a replacement. Let someone on the current staff take over without any extra pay or simply let the players coach themselves. We can't do any worse. My dead great-great-grandma can coach this team to zero wins.
JB was a Chieftain
Econ141 said:

At this point we should simply fire him and don't even hire a replacement. Let someone on the current staff take over without any extra pay or simply let the players coach themselves. We can't do any worse. My dead great-great-grandma can coach this team to zero wins.

With all due respect you dead great-great-grandma has more life in her than a Fox coached offense
calumnus
Econ141 said:

Fire Fox after USC. Promote Andrew Francis.
BearSD
calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Why do you want to wait until after the USC game?
bearmanpg
JB was a Chieftain said:

Econ141 said:

With all due respect you dead great-great-grandma has more life in her than a Fox coached offense
This has to be the best post I've seen here in a long time....with all due respect....LOL
calumnus
BearSD said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Vindictiveness? Because I want Fox to have to play Arizona?

Because I want the team to rally with the interim HC and beat EWU.
panda
Bump.
calumnus
calumnus said:

BearSD said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Vindictiveness? Because I want Fox to have to play Arizona?

Because I want the team to rally with the interim HC and beat EWU.

I somehow had the schedule wrong. Fire Fox after Arizona.
stu
Another source on the McKeever situation:
https://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/cal-swimming-coach-teri-mckeever-17625224.php?IPID=SFGate-HP-CP-Spotlight
panda
Bump. Knowlton really going to let this team go 0-28 before he takes action on Fox, huh?

What would you do if we go 0-28 and Knowlton still doesnt fire Fox, citing "injuries" as an excuse for Fox's performance?

Is it bad that I can foresee that scenario happening? Fox is already the worst Cal basketball coach in our history... he's now going for the title of the worst college basketball coach EVER.

At least with Louisville, if they finish winless, it's because they have a new coach. We have a coach who is in his 4th year in... absolutely disgraceful that Jimbo is allowing this to continue.
panda
Bump

dimitrig
panda said:

Bump

Damn you, City of Berkeley!

parentswerebears
You'd think that the facts of that tweet would require action. But it is clear that major athletics is not the priority of UC Berkeley. And since that is the case, is it worth it to the University to even stay in D1? Why not drop down to D2 or D3 and bring in more Physics Nobel prize contestants rather than D2 and D3 athletes trying to compete out of their league. Place the emphasis where the University clearly wants it.
calumnus
parentswerebears said:

You'd think that the facts of that tweet would require action. But it is clear that major athletics is not the priority of UC Berkeley. And since that is the case, is it worth it to the University to even stay in D1? Why not drop down to D2 or D3 and bring in more Physics Nobel prize contestants rather than D2 and D3 athletes trying to compete out of their league. Place the emphasis where the University clearly wants it.

If athletics isn't a priority, why do we pay our AD $1.3 million (double UA), pay Fox $1.9 million and Wilcox $5 million?
Cal Junkie
calumnus said:

parentswerebears said:

If athletics isn't a priority, why do we pay our AD $1.3 million (double UA), pay Fox $1.9 million and Wilcox $5 million?
And we went whole hog into athletics whether the precious regents like it or not. With a pricey stadium upgrade at Cal's Memorial stadium, that is a financial obelisk that can only be ameliorated by a highly successful athletic department. That starts with the revenue sports - football and basketball. Yes, I may well be a track and cross country coach in my own right, however if I was coaching at Cal, I would be keenly aware that our budget is running up and down the field on Saturdays or scrambling around at Haas.
parentswerebears
I don't know. To waste money? Because they have to have them in order to support swimming? Because they like to be consistently embarrassed? I truly have no idea, but if they actually cared Wilcox, Knowlton and Fox would have fired long ago.
ncbears
Football, mens and womens basketball are not the only sports that have not seen positive results while Knowlton is AD.

Out of the swimming pool, gymnastics and rugby field, there has been little success.
calumnus
parentswerebears said:

I don't know. To waste money? Because they have to have them in order to support swimming? Because they like to be consistently embarrassed? I truly have no idea, but if they actually cared Wilcox, Knowlton and Fox would have fired long ago.

Maybe they "care" but are just incompetent, in over their heads, do not even know what they don't know and have no idea how to make it better do they just make a lot of money causes and hope no one holds them accountable.
HoopDreams
To clarify, MEN's gymnastics haven't had success

The women's team has and currently ranked 7 in the nation (9-0)

ncbears said:

Football, mens and womens basketball are not the only sports that have not seen positive results while Knowlton is AD.

Out of the swimming pool, gymnastics and rugby field, there has been little success.
dimitrig
HoopDreams said:

ncbears said:

I am glad we finally found the AD to enable our school to have success in women's gymnastics.
Ursine
It's a false flag operation.
HoopDreams
dimitrig said:

HoopDreams said:

ncbears said:

I am glad we finally found the AD to enable our school to have success in women's gymnastics.

there is plenty of daily comments about JK

my comment has nothing to do with JK. My comment is only about the Women's Gymnastics team. No other agenda or statement:

DiabloWags
I'm excited to be getting this letter in the mail from our AD today!

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
smh
whats it say?
Bobodeluxe
He didn't get it yet.

I'd expect, "…our petition to join the Mountain West on a provisional status is being considered on appeal."
Big Dog
panda said:

you spoke too soon. The all-time lows keep coming.
DiabloWags
smh said:

whats it say?

I get a morning email from the USPS showing what is being delivered to my mailbox today.
Havent gotten it yet.
DiabloWags

bluehenbear
he's really likes to use em-dashes
dimitrig

I was hoping it was a letter explaining why he was stepping down as Cal AD.
stu
bluehenbear said:

Like most of the words in his letter --- pointless space fillers.
oskidunker
stu said:

bluehenbear said:

Like most of the words in his letter --- pointless space fillers.

So you all propose we pay Knowlton 6 years salary and fire him? Who's going to pay that? Not happening.
Go Bears!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.