It's time for a change - Cal needs a new Athletic Director

5,745 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oskidunker said:

stu said:

bluehenbear said:

he's really likes to use em-dashes
Like most of the words in his letter --- pointless space fillers.

So you all propose we pay Knowlton 6 years salary and fire him? Who's going to pay that? Not happening.
Maybe delegate his head coach hiring responsibilities to someone else.
southseasbear
stu said:

oskidunker said:

stu said:

bluehenbear said:

So you all propose we pay Knowlton 6 years salary and fire him? Who's going to pay that? Not happening.
Or delegate football and basketball to a competent Associate Athletic Director.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
calumnus
southseasbear said:

stu said:

oskidunker said:

stu said:

bluehenbear said:

As I have said in other threads, I think the solution is to delegate management of revenue sports (maybe eventually all sports) to an alumni run non-profit organization run by an elected board of directors who select a president who would be the shadow AD. There would be a minimum donation to be a shareholder, with some votes by all members equally and some votes weighted by donation level. The university would pay base salaries, the alumni organization would pay the talent fee and NIL payments to players. Take over the Learfield contract, manage the game day, and negotiate media deals, maybe even lead the negotiations with the B1G.

Knowlton would simply be the rubber stamp bureaucrat who follows the direction of the alumni organization until his retirement. At which point the non-profit might take over all the AD functions. The chancellor can focus on academics and let the alumni manage the sports programs they love so much.
Ursine
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

stu said:

oskidunker said:

stu said:

bluehenbear said:

As I have said in other threads, I think the solution is to delegate management of revenue sports (maybe eventually all sports) to an alumni run non-profit organization run by an elected board of directors who select a president who would be the shadow AD. There would be a minimum donation to be a shareholder, with some votes by all members equally and some votes weighted by donation level. The university would pay base salaries, the alumni organization would pay the talent fee and NIL payments to players. Take over the Learfield contract, manage the game day, and negotiate media deals, maybe even lead the motivations with the B1G.

Knowlton would simply be the rubber stamp bureaucrat who follows the direction of the alumni organization until his retirement. At which point the non-profit might take over all the AD functions. The chancellor can focus on academics and let the alumni manage the sports programs they love so much.
University of California at Green Bay?
southseasbear
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

stu said:

oskidunker said:

stu said:

bluehenbear said:

As I have said in other threads, I think the solution is to delegate management of revenue sports (maybe eventually all sports) to an alumni run non-profit organization run by an elected board of directors who select a president who would be the shadow AD. There would be a minimum donation to be a shareholder, with some votes by all members equally and some votes weighted by donation level. The university would pay base salaries, the alumni organization would pay the talent fee and NIL payments to players. Take over the Learfield contract, manage the game day, and negotiate media deals, maybe even lead the motivations with the B1G.

You have my vote!

(In the old days, it was the student body that made these decisions.)
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Chapman_is_Gone
bluehenbear said:

I tend to overuse them as well. I hope that's all I have in common with that POS.
Chapman_is_Gone
calumnus said:

southseasbear said:

stu said:

oskidunker said:

stu said:

bluehenbear said:

I agree with this. There needs to be some sort of council or committee in between the Chancellor and the AD, with power over the AD, to represent the interests of athletics.

Without that, I'm slowly coming to realize, I'm afraid nothing will ever change at Cal.

And, (Jesus) Christ, do I ever hate Learfield.

calumnus
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.