In 40 years i have never tuned out before

9,536 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BC Calfan
blungld
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since I started being a Cal fan in 1982 I have not missed a Cal football or basketball game live or broadcast (sometimes on delay). That's a lot of games. And a lot of commitment. I did not watch the last 2 Cal MBB games. And worse. I didn't even check the schedule to know I missed them or the results until another day to know we had lost.

If I am any kind of litmus, the program has destroyed all the good will slowly built at the end of Kutchen and through Lou with KJ, Butler, Washington, LT, Javius, Sears, etc. The "upgrade" to Harmon killed a lot of traditions and adversely effected the fan base, but that is nothing to the destruction that these past few years have wrought. It's criminal the disregard to the traditions and supporters and donors and athletes who built Cal into an upper echelon PAC team that has now fallen to the conference doormat.
eastcoastcal
Completely on the same page. I don't have the same impressive record as you, but in my life I've never stopped caring about one of my sports teams until now for MBB. I've always watched or kept up with my MLB, NFL, and NBA teams. And two seasons in, I've watched all the Cal football games. Uptil these past 2 games I'd watched every single MBB game. But for the first time in my life I've fully tuned out like you. I'll possibly tune in for Eastern Washington and UT Arlington out of curiosity as to whether we'll go winless or not. But aside from going to the student section I don't think I'll bother watching. First time in my life I've ever said that for any of the sports teams I follow.
bluesaxe
eastcoastcal said:

Completely on the same page. I don't have the same impressive record as you, but in my life I've never stopped caring about one of my sports teams until now for MBB. I've always watched or kept up with my MLB, NFL, and NBA teams. And two seasons in, I've watched all the Cal football games. Uptil these past 2 games I'd watched every single MBB game. But for the first time in my life I've fully tuned out like you. I'll possibly tune in for Eastern Washington and UT Arlington out of curiosity as to whether we'll go winless or not. But aside from going to the student section I don't think I'll bother watching. First time in my life I've ever said that for any of the sports teams I follow.
Up until last year if I missed a game it was because it wasn't on tv and I couldn't get to Berkeley. I don't even know the schedule now. It's hopeless until there's a big change.
Go!Bears
eastcoastcal said:

You may be the youngest Ol Blue ever. Welcome to a pretty sad club.
Big C
bluesaxe said:

eastcoastcal said:

Up until last year if I missed a game it was because it wasn't on tv and I couldn't get to Berkeley. I don't even know the schedule now. It's hopeless until there's a big change.

Same here. I knew this tournament was coming up but made no effort to find out exactly when the games were, or to tune in to them. Pretty much unheard of, for me.

I will say, get a better coach in there and things can get turned around in a couple of years, or even less. Okay, not turned around as in inverting our W/L record, but we could be a .500 team again and on the road to better.
bearsandgiants
Not even worth commenting anymore. To hell with all of this.
stu
One thing about basketball is even when your team is having a historically bad season there will be moments when you see a great play which brings you to your feet cheering.
polarbear
I have tuned out following sports in general. The Raiders giving the middle finger to their fans and city and moving to Las Vegas. The A's trading away their stars again and again and now this stadium proposal that is not good for Oakland; the 49ers manipulating the Santa Clara city council, and our Cal FB, MBB, and WBB all doing swan dives to become utter doormats over the last few years. Against that we have the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, and Furd WBB all with national championships. At least the Warriors won another title and I do have some hope for our WBB team, does seem to be moving up, even though they have no hope of ever beating or finishing ahead of Furd as long as Tara is still coaching.
75bear
polarbear said:

I have tuned out following sports in general. The Raiders giving the middle finger to their fans and city and moving to Las Vegas. The A's trading away their stars again and again and now this stadium proposal that is not good for Oakland; the 49ers manipulating the Santa Clara city council, and our Cal FB, MBB, and WBB all doing swan dives to become utter doormats over the last few years. Against that we have the Lakers, Dodgers, Rams, and Furd WBB all with national championships. At least the Warriors won another title and I do have some hope for our WBB team, does seem to be moving up, even though they have no hope of ever beating or finishing ahead of Furd as long as Tara is still coaching.
I feel you on everything you say, but you left out the elephant in the room: the B1G realignment. If we get left behind, and we aren't playing UCLA or USC anymore, then what's the point?

The few threads of hope and interest have been finally cut with the complete and total $$$-ication of college sports.
tequila4kapp
Screw the LA schools. Furd is our rival, that's the only CA game that's worth worrying about.
Econ141
Knowlton doesn't care about your (or anyone else's) support for the past 40 years :

RayofLight
Go!Bears said:

eastcoastcal said:

I remembering being called that as a sophomore by some guy called Ken Montgomery, whoever he was. /s

I'd been attending games almost my entire life at that point. Having most of your first memories of Cal football being under Holmoe will do that to you.
Spreading light and goodness,
Over all the West.
Big C
Econ141 said:

Knowlton doesn't care about your (or anyone else's) support for the past 40 years :

Louisville has fallen a lot farther than we have: Everybody feel better now?
Econ141
Big C said:

Econ141 said:

Louisville has fallen a lot farther than we have: Everybody feel better now?

We need to challenge them on a neutral court for all the marbles. They still have to lose on Tuesday first though.
bluesaxe
Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

eastcoastcal said:

Same here. I knew this tournament was coming up but made no effort to find out exactly when the games were, or to tune in to them. Pretty much unheard of, for me.

I will say, get a better coach in there and things can get turned around in a couple of years, or even less. Okay, not turned around as in inverting our W/L record, but we could be a .500 team again and on the road to better.
Give me a new coach and I'm back in even through the growing pains. I just can't take this combination of boring, inept basketball combined with Fox's petulance and unwillingness to take any blame.
bluesaxe
stu said:

One thing about basketball is even when your team is having a historically bad season there will be moments when you see a great play which brings you to your feet cheering.
This is true. But I'm also a longtime Warriors fan and I can get that five times a night with them. And with the Warriors I don't have to listen to my wife saying "why do you watch these games, you just get angry."
OdontoBear66
Did we have a game last night? Have we cancelled the season yet? Or does an eight point loss to Clemson bring hope?

And will our 4th place participation trophy fit in its glass case in Haas?
HoopDreams
stanford signed a 5 star in each of the last 2 classes and now signed two 5 stars this year for the 15th ranked recruiting class.

all with not even making the ncaa tournament

colorado has the 14th ranked recruiting class

it aint getting better
BeachedBear
blungld said:

Since I started being a Cal fan in 1982 I have not missed a Cal football or basketball game live or broadcast (sometimes on delay). That's a lot of games. And a lot of commitment. I did not watch the last 2 Cal MBB games. And worse. I didn't even check the schedule to know I missed them or the results until another day to know we had lost.

If I am any kind of litmus, the program has destroyed all the good will slowly built at the end of Kutchen and through Lou with KJ, Butler, Washington, LT, Javius, Sears, etc. The "upgrade" to Harmon killed a lot of traditions and adversely effected the fan base, but that is nothing to the destruction that these past few years have wrought. It's criminal the disregard to the traditions and supporters and donors and athletes who built Cal into an upper echelon PAC team that has now fallen to the conference doormat.
I actually recorded the game so I could watch an early holiday movie with my daughter. Then I didn't even watch the recording. I'll probably erase it before watching.

I'm frustrated but can deal with losing. But after Knowlton's staff explained to me TWO YEARS AGO that I'm not a significant enough booster and that JK wants to de-emphasize MBB - apparently because he feels it distracts him from revenue Football and championship caliber sports. Well - that just destroyed my hope.
HoopDreams
reminds me what the head of fund raising told me in a phone call a few years ago

didn't want to talk unless i made at least a 5 figure donation on the phone. i didn't call her. she called me

BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

I actually recorded the game so I could watch an early holiday movie with my daughter. Then I didn't even watch the recording. I'll probably erase it before watching.

I'm frustrated but can deal with losing. But after Knowlton's staff explained to me TWO YEARS AGO that I'm not a significant enough booster and that JK wants to de-emphasize MBB - apparently because he feels it distracts him from revenue Football and championship caliber sports. Well - that just destroyed my hope.
TheFiatLux
RayofLight said:

Go!Bears said:

eastcoastcal said:

I remembering being called that as a sophomore by some guy called Ken Montgomery, whoever he was. /s

I'd been attending games almost my entire life at that point. Having most of your first memories of Cal football being under Holmoe will do that to you.
That might have been the meanest thing I've ever said to someone.
TheFiatLux
bluesaxe said:

Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

eastcoastcal said:

Give me a new coach and I'm back in even through the growing pains. I just can't take this combination of boring, inept basketball combined with Fox's petulance and unwillingness to take any blame.

Honestly, I know it won't happen, but should Fox get fired at some point this season, the most awesome thing that Cal fanbase could do it basically sell out the first game after. Doesn't matter who the coach is, but that would send such a message.
Big C
BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

They actually said that?!? Isn't that supposed to be the proverbial "quiet part that isn't said out loud"?

What other college AD is on record as saying they want to de-emphasize Men's Basketball? Or even thinks that. Good God...
KoreAmBear
Can the media request presser availability of Knowlton to ask some questions about the basketball situation? How can he just ignore Cal alums/fans like this?
dimitrig
KoreAmBear said:

Can the media request presser availability of Knowlton to ask some questions about the basketball situation? How can he just ignore Cal alums/fans like this?

He has a massive guaranteed contract. Why should he care what alumni and fans think?

RayofLight
TheFiatLux said:

RayofLight said:

Go!Bears said:

eastcoastcal said:

You said it with a smile and a laugh we both shared as I recall. It was good seeing you last this past football season again briefly. Someday it will be good to sit down and chat some time.
Spreading light and goodness,
Over all the West.
TheFiatLux
RayofLight said:

TheFiatLux said:

RayofLight said:

Go!Bears said:

eastcoastcal said:

You said it with a smile and a laugh we both shared as I recall. It was good seeing you last this past football season again briefly. Someday it will be good to sit down and chat some time.
Waaaaaait a second... now I think I know who you are!!! Ah, you're a good soul. (send me an IM!)
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

Wow, can we fire him just for saying that?

Though it is actually consistent with his rushed 4 day "search" mostly utilizing a search firm and then settling on a fired and unemployed Mark Fox.

So he admits he was "focused" on women's swimming and he simply condoned the racism and abuse?
KoreAmBear
For those of us that are so worried about Ott leaving, we should be more worried that a recruit like Brown will stick as we continue to pile up losses. At some point it gets untenable for an serious athlete. Remember DJ Williams who wanted Cal to give him a reason to stay at home rather than go to Miami? Holmoe's team could not provide him any legitimate reasons.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

For those of us that are so worried about Ott leaving, we should be more worried that a recruit like Brown will stick as we continue to pile up losses. At some point it gets untenable for an serious athlete. Remember DJ Williams who wanted Cal to give him a reason to stay at home rather than go to Miami? Holmoe's team could not provide him any legitimate reasons.

Brown signed an LOI right?
BeachedBear
Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

They actually said that?!? Isn't that supposed to be the proverbial "quiet part that isn't said out loud"?

What other college AD is on record as saying they want to de-emphasize Men's Basketball? Or even thinks that. Good God...
It was his staffer(s), NOT JK. Since being hired, JK has come to our football tailgate on numerous occasions - just for a few minutes of glad handing. The first time we met - I gave him a polite but very clear earful about Wyking Jones (who was still our coach). The next time, he had one of his staffers intercept me and chat with me about MBB before I could confront him again. While the chat covered disappointment in the program, most of it was about how hard Jim was working and how busy he was recovering from his 'listening tour'. After Jones was replaced, the same staffer shared with me their thoughts on the Jones program and lots of positive vibes about FOX. At that point, I believe Covid was impacting our attendance and tailgates and I had no further personal interaction with staffers (who I believe are no longer on staff). At the end of FOX season 2, I told my 'rep' (not sure what they are called these days, used to be bearbackers and gold team - they turnover frequently), that I wouldn't renew my Sec 2 Chairbacks and annual donation if FOX was retained for year 3. At a minimum, I needed assurances that a search/review was underway. I volunteered to help and provided a list of dozens of names for them to start vetting (including Golden at USF - just go watch a couple games and practices and compare).

There were two or three phone calls around this and then very little since then.

Those few exchanges at the end is where the rep shared three things:

1. I was one of many disgruntled MBB supporters who were leaving. A lot of 'I understand'. Absolutely zero "what would make you stay" - probably because I made it very clear already.

2. Not a lot of positive feelings among JK staff or reps. No Cal spirit. Very bureaucratic. Felt like working at a call center. JK was not focused on MBB, but Football and the successful non-revenue sports. JK didn't understand why MBB fans weren't like the other non-revenue fan groups and that they seemed to distract him from his primary duties. THIS POINT WAS THE END FOR ME.

3. The departing rep actually left me my tickets because no one was willing to buy them. They were subsequently removed from my account before conference play that season.

AGAIN - this was from the last rep I was interacting with (who was very unhappy with working for Cal AD). JK intentionally stopped interacting with me after the Jones discussion in his first year. I'm sure he doesn't recall my name and always brought a staffer to run interference with me.
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Brown signed an LOI right?

That's right. But once Fox is fired I can see him flipping. The consequence of this historically season will have a lasting impact.
bluesaxe
HoopDreams said:

reminds me what the head of fund raising told me in a phone call a few years ago

didn't want to talk unless i made at least a 5 figure donation on the phone. i didn't call her. she called me

BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

That kind of attitude is indicative of a completely failed department.
bluesaxe
BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

It was his staffer(s), NOT JK. Since being hired, JK has come to our football tailgate on numerous occasions - just for a few minutes of glad handing. The first time we met - I gave him a polite but very clear earful about Wyking Jones (who was still our coach). The next time, he had one of his staffers intercept me and chat with me about MBB before I could confront him again. While the chat covered disappointment in the program, most of it was about how hard Jim was working and how busy he was recovering from his 'listening tour'. After Jones was replaced, the same staffer shared with me their thoughts on the Jones program and lots of positive vibes about FOX. At that point, I believe Covid was impacting our attendance and tailgates and I had no further personal interaction with staffers (who I believe are no longer on staff). At the end of FOX season 2, I told my 'rep' (not sure what they are called these days, used to be bearbackers and gold team - they turnover frequently), that I wouldn't renew my Sec 2 Chairbacks and annual donation if FOX was retained for year 3. At a minimum, I needed assurances that a search/review was underway. I volunteered to help and provided a list of dozens of names for them to start vetting (including Golden at USF - just go watch a couple games and practices and compare).

There were two or three phone calls around this and then very little since then.

1. I was one of many disgruntled MBB supporters who were leaving. A lot of 'I understand'. Absolutely zero "what would make you stay" - probably because I made it very clear already.

2. Not a lot of positive feelings among JK staff or reps. No Cal spirit. Very bureaucratic. Felt like working at a call center. JK was not focused on MBB, but Football and the successful non-revenue sports. JK didn't understand why MBB fans weren't like the other non-revenue fan groups and that they seemed to distract him from his primary duties. THIS POINT WAS THE END FOR ME.

3. The departing rep actually left me my tickets because no one was willing to buy them. They were subsequently removed from my account before conference play that season.

AGAIN - this was from the last rep I was interacting with (who was very unhappy with working for Cal AD). JK intentionally stopped interacting with me after the Jones discussion in his first year. I'm sure he doesn't recall my name and always brought a staffer to run interference with me.
I wonder if someone could explain to Mr. Knowlton that basketball should be a revenue sport and that it is, in fact, a revenue sport at a great number of schools. Perhaps people just assume that an AD would know something that obvious. The revelation might just shock him into action.
PtownBear1
bluesaxe said:

BeachedBear said:

Big C said:

BeachedBear said:

blungld said:

I wonder if someone could explain to Mr. Knowlton that basketball should be a revenue sport and that it is, in fact, a revenue sport at a great number of schools. Perhaps people just assume that an AD would know something that obvious. The revelation might just shock him into action.
I don't assume that he knows anything, but I do assume that he wouldn't care either way.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.