Lamond Murray Comment

3,426 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by taxbear
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/cal-mens-basketball-history-failure-mark-fox/comments

Gkhoury2325
One of my most favorite players ever to wear a Cal MBB jersey. He was silky smooth. Loved that pull of jumper. Yeah I believe it's time to bring in former players to help bring the pride back. You have so many players who still play, coach, scout, in management. Maybe a committee of Leon Powe, Sean Marks, Richard Midgley, JKidd, Jerome Randle, Shareef Abdur- Rahim, Kevin Johnson and Lamond Murray would be great way to bring back some pride. They all may have different ideas but may be able to bring some ideas needed to generate some buzz. I would love to see it.
CAL4LIFE
Quote:

[url=https://substack.com/profile/7367353-pawloski][/url]PawlOski

It's like we gave ourselves the death penalty. What a disgrace and embarrassment. So callous and unnecessary. When oh when will the adults show up?
Of course, Lamond Murray is right. I like this comment a lot too.

Either Cal is intentionally killing off the athletic department or they are completely bankrupt of common sense.

socaltownie
CAL4LIFE said:

Quote:

It's like we gave ourselves the death penalty. What a disgrace and embarrassment. So callous and unnecessary. When oh when will the adults show up?

Either Cal is intentionally killing off the athletic department or they are completely bankrupt of common sense.

I am not sure about this. There WAS a pro day early in the Fall and I saw a decent number of Cal guys there. Lamond was not one and he is right - as the all time leading scorer and given his body of work his jersey should be retired - especially if Al G.'s is hanging there.
Take care of your Chicken
Bobodeluxe
Maybe his jersey has been retired, but no one knows because no one was at the game to see it happen?
KoreAmBear
Wyking pushed out Theo.

Not sure if he lives in the area anymore but Sean Lampley was always at Cal games. No more.

Randle and now Lamond both are so disturbed with this team that they are making comments publicly.

What do you see Mr. Knowlton? UC ...

Btw, I was a senior during Lamond's freshman year. He had a nice battle with his cousin Tracy Murray of UCLA but we always lost. I saw him on campus one day and told him all these losses are going to turn into wins one day. Sure enough, a year after I left, Jason Kidd rolls onto campus and he is the main beneficiary of his passes. And the rest is history.
bearister
The "all time leading scorer" reminds me of this trivia question no one ever gets right:

Who is the All Time Leading Scorer for D-1 college basketball programs in the San Francisco Bay Area?
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Econ141
This is depressing. Even more depressing when you know our alums in the NFL get the same treatment. If we can't even maintain relationships with these folks there is just no hope we will improve on anything else. Just a crap program all around unfortunately. How did I get sp emotionally invested in the first place?!? Ah yes, came to Cal during our football/basketball resurgence with Kidd etc. FML.

Knowlton is a disaster on so many levels.
CAL4LIFE
KoreAmBear said:

Btw, I was a senior during Lamond's freshman year. He had a nice battle with his cousin Tracy Murray of UCLA but we always lost. I saw him on campus one day and told him all these losses are going to turn into wins one day. Sure enough, a year after I left, Jason Kidd rolls onto campus and he is the main beneficiary of his passes. And the rest is history.
KAB, the memories. We all know how this era ended but damn was it fun at times. I was at Pauley right behind press row for this epic performance.

The talent on the floor in this game was special.

annarborbear
Our white middle-aged AD can only relate to other white middle-aged guys like Fox. Our AD's personal comfort level is what's important here. Everything else is secondary.
Golden One
annarborbear said:

Our white middle-aged AD can only relate to other white middle-aged guys like Fox. Our AD's personal comfort level is what's important here. Everything else is secondary.
We had a black AD before Knowlton, and he wasn't worth a damn either. He hired Wilcox. It's not the color that matters, it's the skill, knowledge, and management ability.
calumnus
Golden One said:

annarborbear said:

We had a black AD before Knowlton, and he wasn't worth a damn either. He hired Wilcox. It's not the color that matters, it's the skill, knowledge, and management ability.

He was our AD for only two years, but yes, skill knowledge and management ability plus I will add strategic vision, is what is needed. Williams didn't have it, but Knowlton is FAR worse, about the worst we could do.

Wilcox was a plausible hire, a young guy with a good personality, he might have worked out if he had brought in a good OC six years ago, but Fox was a horrible hire, there was no chance he was going to work out.
Big C
Bobodeluxe said:

Maybe his jersey has been retired, but no one knows because no one was at the game to see it happen?

Maybe his jersey has been retired, but no one knows because they don't have the retired jerseys up?
RayofLight
CAL4LIFE said:

Quote:

It all comes with institutional memory, or lack thereof. The people running the Athletic Department don't know who or how to reach out to because they do not know them. If they aren't in the press regularly like Marks, Kidd, Rodgers, or Lynch, they don't know them.
Spreading light and goodness,
Over all the West.
joe amos yaks
No HoF?
No involvement?

Why has this not happened?
A failure to communicate?
An information gap?
A great player for Cal.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
calumnus
RayofLight said:

CAL4LIFE said:

Quote:

It all comes with institutional memory, or lack thereof. The people running the Athletic Department don't know who or how to reach out to because they do not know them. If they aren't in the press regularly like Marks, Kidd, Rodgers, or Lynch, they don't know them.

Exactly, Then they convince themselves that Cal is just one of those schools that never had great players or great teams and therefore can't, so need need to try.
bearister
joe amos yaks said:

No HoF?
No involvement?

Why has this not happened?
A failure to communicate?
An information gap?
A great player for Cal.

BadNewsBear1
CAL4LIFE said:

KoreAmBear said:

KAB, the memories. We all know how this era ended but damn was it fun at times. I was at Pauley right behind press row for this epic performance.

I was there too. Unbelievable game. I remember sitting in the rafters feeling physically ill as UCLA rallied from about 17 down to within one with the ball in the final seconds, but missed a shot and we pulled it out.

Talent on the floor was in a different universe compared to this team.
GoOskie
Can anyone post a link when Cal beat #1 UCLA? I can't seem to find it.
Chapman_is_Gone
Big C said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Maybe his jersey has been retired, but no one knows because they don't have the retired jerseys up?

Yes sir. You know it!
And dust the cobwebs off the championship banners while you're at it! We have idiots in charge!
hoop97
CAL4LIFE said:

KoreAmBear said:

7 NBA players on the floor to start the game!
calumnus
hoop97 said:

CAL4LIFE said:

KoreAmBear said:

Impossible! Or so I have been told repeatedly on this board.
hoop97
It's a process. Just give these coaches more time. Lol
So ready to move on from this lackluster regime. Basketball can be fixed quickly with the right staff.
oski003
calumnus said:

hoop97 said:

CAL4LIFE said:

KoreAmBear said:

Impossible! Or so I have been told repeatedly on this board.

Nothing is impossible, but there was pushback after our success because we cheated. Wins were vacated.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1997-jul-18-sp-13869-story.html
Bobodeluxe
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'!
dimitrig
Bobodeluxe said:

$30K to Jelani Gardner seems so low in comparison to what is happening now

Cal8285
BadNewsBear1 said:

CAL4LIFE said:

KoreAmBear said:

I was there too. Unbelievable game. I remember sitting in the rafters feeling physically ill as UCLA rallied from about 17 down to within one with the ball in the final seconds, but missed a shot and we pulled it out.

IIRC, UCLA got within 1 with the ball in the last minute and on that possession had a shot clock violation. The best thing about being there was seeing all the UCLA fans leaving with their team down 15 with 3 minutes left, and missing the exciting comeback. The Bruins still lost in the end, but the game was definitely not over yet when a huge chunk of fans left.

And I guess we're appropriately ignoring the SC game two days later when Cal blew a lead, helped by Jason Kidd getting picked by Stace Boseman while Kidd was taunting the SC student section. A half court buzzer beater from SC tied the game and Cal lost in OT. Ugh. I felt physically ill at Pauley watching Bruins rally on Thursday, but I didn't have to leave feeling sick like I did on Saturday at the Sports Arena.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

Bobodeluxe said:

According to Jelani's parents, supposedly from the same agent (Jelani's uncle) that Bozeman had reported to the NCAA the year before for buying a car for Tremaine Fowlkes.
bearister
dimitrig said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Had he been able to dribble the ball lower than chest level on his drives, he would have been worth $45K.
HoopDreams
bearister said:

dimitrig said:

Bobodeluxe said:

Had he been able to dribble the ball lower than chest level on his drives, he would have been worth $45K.

funny you should mention that. i was invited to a HS practice by the coach.

during a drill he said if any player dribbled the ball or swept the ball above their knees the entire team will run suicides
BadNewsBear1
Cal8285 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

CAL4LIFE said:

KoreAmBear said:

IIRC, UCLA got within 1 with the ball in the last minute and on that possession had a shot clock violation. The best thing about being there was seeing all the UCLA fans leaving with their team down 15 with 3 minutes left, and missing the exciting comeback. The Bruins still lost in the end, but the game was definitely not over yet when a huge chunk of fans left.

And I guess we're appropriately ignoring the SC game two days later when Cal blew a lead, helped by Jason Kidd getting picked by Stace Boseman while Kidd was taunting the SC student section. A half court buzzer beater from SC tied the game and Cal lost in OT. Ugh. I felt physically ill at Pauley watching Bruins rally on Thursday, but I didn't have to leave feeling sick like I did on Saturday at the Sports Arena.

Quote:

8285--You are correct on the shot clock violation. Edney missed a three-pointer after Kidd had hit two FTs after the violation that would have tied it.

It's funny that the SC game and Jelani Gardner came up in this thread. On Friday night between the two games, I went to a Young Alumni dinner with the team at their hotel. They were oddly excited about getting out of there to go see Gardner play down the highway at St. John Bosco.

And yes, the SC game the next night was horrible to watch after the great win at Pauley.
taxbear
Yep, and the Bears could have kept Anwar McQueen's redshirt year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.