With a couple of our injured guys coming back, we will be competitive

8,506 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SBGold
SBGold
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking forward now to the conference schedule
HKBear97!
SBGold said:

LOL. Hitting the eggnog a little early I see.
KoreAmBear
Thanks Coach Fox.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Thanks Coach Fox.

Because we were so good when they were healthy.
NVBear78
Who is coming back?
joe amos yaks
Conference play with a full roster: It will be more of the same, but maybe a little closer.
There are no guarantees.
"Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say." - LT
oskidunker
What makes you think anyone is coming back?
Go Bears!
Big C
NVBear78 said:

Who is coming back?

I'm assuming both Askew and Clayton will be back in the next week or two. (I'm not expecting Celestine this season, but they say there's a possibility.) We desperately need some more guards. That said, unless Clayton turns out to be better than I am anticipating, getting a little better isn't going to really close much of the gap.
SBGold
oskidunker said:

Fox said Clayton and Askew after the game, Clayton is close
SBGold
joe amos yaks said:

Conference play with a full roster: It will be more of the same, but maybe a little closer.
There are no guarantees.
We have senior leadership with Brown making good decisions and taking it to the rack. K2 is showing versatility and some improved D and Lars is making himself a presence in the paint and keeping the team calm. Good things ahead
calumnus
SBGold said:

joe amos yaks said:

There are no guarantees.
We have senior leadership with Brown making good decisions and taking it to the rack. K2 is showing versatility and some improved D and Lars is making himself a presence in the paint and keeping the team calm. Good things ahead

How many PAC-12 wins do you predict?
HoopDreams
i guess Askew sprained an ankle, not a worse foot injury

SBGold said:

oskidunker said:

oskidunker
HoopDreams said:

i guess Askew sprained an ankle, not a worse foot injury

SBGold said:

oskidunker said:

Clayton has been close all year. Tired of watching Askew hero ball.
Go Bears!
oskidunker
SBGold said:

Why? You have got to be kidding. We have no chance of beating any team except maybe Stanford.
Go Bears!
SBGold
How about 8-10 wins if healthy
HoopDreams
prior to the season, i think the pac12 coaches voted Cal 11th

this was before the injuries were known (except perhaps Celestine) and before the excuse train
HearstMining
SBGold said:

I really do admire optimists, because I'm generally not one. Having watched bits and pieces of some other Pac12 teams, I don't see how Cal can beat anybody. I watched Cal Poly nearly beat UW a week or so ago on TV, so you'd think they'd be vulnerable, but actually both teams looked like they'd wax Cal. For Cal to win in the PAC, it will have to be an off-night for the opposition, a couple of Cal players will have to really catch fire, and most of the bounces will have to go their way. I don't think that will happen more than once or twice.
bearmanpg
There are no more UT Alingtons or Chico States on the schedule....Our win is behind us....
calumnus
SBGold said:

Are you including Celestine in that? Because that is unlikely.
calumnus
bearmanpg said:

There are no more UT Alingtons or Chico States on the schedule....Our win is behind us....

Oregon State maybe
sluggo
HearstMining said:

SBGold said:

I really do admire optimists, because I'm generally not one. Having watched bits and pieces of some other Pac12 teams, I don't see how Cal can beat anybody. I watched Cal Poly nearly beat UW a week or so ago on TV, so you'd think they'd be vulnerable, but actually both teams looked like they'd wax Cal. For Cal to win in the PAC, it will have to be an off-night for the opposition, a couple of Cal players will have to really catch fire, and most of the bounces will have to go their way. I don't think that will happen more than once or twice.
I am not an optimist either, far from it, but I understand probability. So if Cal has on average a 20% chance in each of their home games, which I think is fair, then they would be expected to win two more games. Which is what I think will happen. Plus or minus one game. I would be shocked if they won on the road.
stu
To put it another way: even if we had only a 4% chance of winning each game the chance of losing 17 consecutive games to break Jones' record would still be just 50%.
TheFiatLux
stu said:

To put it another way: even if we had only a 4% chance of winning each game the chance of losing 17 consecutive games to break Jones' record would still be just 50%.
So you're saying we have a chance!!!

I'll take those 50/50 odds!
calumnus
SBGold said:

We would finish roughly middle of the PAC-12. Do you really think this team is better than last year's? Or the year before? Or the year before that? Or the year before that?

What 4-6 PAC-12 teams do you think are worse than us?
bluesaxe
SBGold said:

That's hilarious.
KoreAmBear
Hawaii won the Diamond Head Classic yesterday (on a walkoff second deep three) beating Pepperdine, Wazzu and SMU along the way. They are 9-3. Eran Ganot is from the St. Mary's/Randy Bennett tree and has always fielded a solid team since he's been here. He recruits from all over, as he has to in Hawaii. The product he puts out there reminds me of Monty's teams, which reminds me that son John Montgomery is also on his staff. As much as I don't want Hawaii to lose a good coach, Cal should consider him as well. He's just solid.

Christmas Miracle in Paradise (Roxy on the call):

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxEMkSgfb6W09WvKiIO3z-zpuU4K65oF86
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

Hawaii won the Diamond Head Classic yesterday (on a walkoff second deep three) beating Pepperdine, Wazzu and SMU along the way. They are 9-3. Eran Ganot is from the St. Mary's/Randy Bennett tree and has always fielded a solid team since he's been here. He recruits from all over, as he has to in Hawaii. The product he puts out there reminds me of Monty's teams, which reminds me that son John Montgomery is also on his staff. As much as I don't want Hawaii to lose a good coach, Cal should consider him as well. He's just solid.

Ganot just got a three year extension before the season:
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/hi/hawaii/sports/2022/07/08/hawaii-basketball-coach-eran-ganot-gets-3-year-extension-through-2026
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

Ganot just got a three year extension before the season:
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/hi/hawaii/sports/2022/07/08/hawaii-basketball-coach-eran-ganot-gets-3-year-extension-through-2026
Well the way Knowlton is dragging his feet, Ganot's contract could be ending by the time he fires Fox.
Bear8995
bluesaxe said:

SBGold said:

That's hilarious.
maybe, just maybe, if I squint REAL hard and if Fox stays to the end of his contract (which I believe is 2 more years). Then again, I think he averages 2 wins/season so...unlikely.
calumnus
Bear8995 said:

bluesaxe said:

SBGold said:

That's hilarious.
maybe, just maybe, if I squint REAL hard and if Fox stays to the end of his contract (which I believe is 2 more years). Then again, I think he averages 2 wins/season so...unlikely.

Well, we keep adding more and more cupcakes to the OOC schedule. There are at least a few more UT Arlingtons out there.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

Bear8995 said:

bluesaxe said:

SBGold said:

That's hilarious.

Well, we keep adding more and more cupcakes to the OOC schedule. There are at least a few more UT Arlingtons out there.
The only cupcakes at the game tomorrow are the two I bought from Susie cakes.
Go Bears!
Bear8995
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

Bear8995 said:

bluesaxe said:

SBGold said:

That's hilarious.

The only cupcakes at the game tomorrow are the two I bought from Susie cakes.
We are the cupcake.
calumnus
stu said:

I think 4% (average) is closer than 20%. Some teams it is nearly zero, but OSU is probably close to 50% at Haas.
mbBear
SBGold said:

Your post will now be the example quoted by many that "so many of our alums still believe in Fox"....for those in this thread, reading this thread-this is one person, and, unless someone has proof that he/she is a major hoop donor, this thread means nothing vs. the record on the court, and the resulting butts in the seats.
SBGold
Dude, we've only played a couple conference games so far and been somewhat competitive. Relax. I bet we pick up a W against Colo today
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.