With a couple of our injured guys coming back, we will be competitive

8,542 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SBGold
oskidunker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SBGold said:

Dude, we've only played a couple conference games so far and been somewhat competitive. Relax. I bet we pick up a W against Colo today
we were never closer than 10 points in any game. Today Colorado 58 Cal 46
Go Bears!
cal83dls79
oskidunker said:

SBGold said:

Dude, we've only played a couple conference games so far and been somewhat competitive. Relax. I bet we pick up a W against Colo today
SB reminds me of the great quote in Aliens:
Hudson: Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
mbBear
SBGold said:

My post wasn't really about you... you are allowed your opinion. Again, I just am tired of one post representing a narrative that doesn't exist.
Specific to your reply: I don't do moral victories or moral losses... so "somewhat competitive" means nothing to me. We lost to programs that even without a top player or two shouldn't matter. It's been embarrassing...if you don't feel that, good for you.
southseasbear
mbBear said:

SBGold said:

My post wasn't really about you... you are allowed your opinion. Again, I just am tired of one post representing a narrative that doesn't exist.
Specific to your reply: I don't do moral victories or moral losses... so "somewhat competitive" means nothing to me. We lost to programs that even without a top player or two shouldn't matter. It's been embarrassing...if you don't feel that, good for you.
Even with the injuries we should have been able to beat UC San Diego!
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
mbBear
southseasbear said:

mbBear said:

SBGold said:

Even with the injuries we should have been able to beat UC San Diego!

Certainly a good example. Without studying it too closely, the OOC games was set up for a minimum of 7 wins. I mean to get national recognition because of being terrible, it's an incredible disservice to those who have come before and given so much to the program, be it on the court or through fan support.
stu
calumnus said:

stu said:

To put it another way: even if we had only a 4% chance of winning each game the chance of losing 17 consecutive games to break Jones' record would still be just 50%.

I think 4% (average) is closer than 20%. Some teams it is nearly zero, but OSU is probably close to 50% at Haas.
I used 4% just to show how hard it would be to lose 17 consecutive games.

I agree our chances of willing a game are better than that, maybe 10%, and will vary with the opponent and other conditions. I'm expecting us to win 2 or 3 conference games.
cal83dls79
stu said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

To put it another way: even if we had only a 4% chance of winning each game the chance of losing 17 consecutive games to break Jones' record would still be just 50%.

I think 4% (average) is closer than 20%. Some teams it is nearly zero, but OSU is probably close to 50% at Haas.

I agree our chances of willing a game are better than that, maybe 10%, and will vary with the opponent and other conditions. I'm expecting us to win 2 or 3 conference games.
have fox post that stat on scoreboard in place of the 42. "2-3".
Priest of the Patty Hearst Shrine
oskidunker
stu said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

Where there is a will, there is way.
Go Bears!
stu
cal83dls79 said:

stu said:

calumnus said:

stu said:

have fox post that stat on scoreboard in place of the 42. "2-3".
He might post both, thinking that scoring 42 will be enough to get us 2 or 3 wins.
KoreAmBear
SBGold said:

Good call. Wow this is happening, knock on wood.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

SBGold said:

Looking good!
KoreAmBear
calumnus said:

KoreAmBear said:

SBGold said:

Looking good!
Well...
HoopDreams
cal83dls79 said:

oskidunker said:

SBGold said:

SB reminds me of the great quote in Aliens:
Hudson: Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but we just got our asses kicked pal!

great line. great movie
Big C
SBGold said:

Done. Were you there at the Haas with me today, SBGold?

Look folks, trying to stay upbeat during the season and rooting for Cal to win doesn't mean we are seeing the state of the program with rose-colored glasses; we're just being Cal fans.
SBGold
No, I was there for Utah though. Our offense sucked in that game but I was heartened by how we played D. And Colo won barely against a crappy Furd team, so I liked our chances.

We are the Bears, we may be down but we don't quit
SBGold
Hell yeah, our Bears need is. Look I dislike Fox immensely, but not all is lost with these guys
SBGold
Do you do real victories? Because we got one today baby!
mbBear
mbBear
SBGold said:

Do you do real victories? Because we got one today baby!

I always want Cal to win, going back to 1975. It doesn't make the losses of this year go away. I hope the kids can get some satisfaction, and maybe less stung by the embarrassment that they have endured.
But I hope some of them get to experience a new coach for next year.
stu
mbBear said:

I always want Cal to win, going back to 1975. It doesn't make the losses of this year go away. I hope the kids can get some satisfaction, and maybe less stung by the embarrassment that they have endured.
I expect all of them will experience a new coach. I'd be surprised if Fox gets another coaching job and if he does I'd be surprised if any of our players follow him.
SBGold
I'm with you on that. This group doesn't seem to be quitting though, and they should be commended for that. After 15 losses I'd be pretty done myself
mbBear
stu said:

mbBear said:

I expect all of them will experience a new coach. I'd be surprised if Fox gets another coaching job and if he does I'd be surprised if any of our players follow him.

I think he ends up as an NBA assistant...we will see if the new coach suggests to some of the players seek playing opportunities elsewhere...
HearstMining
mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

I think he ends up as an NBA assistant...we will see if the new coach suggests to some of the players seek playing opportunities elsewhere...
I don't think Fox has the credibility for that. I'd bet on a D-3 job. He won't need the money after taking Cal to the cleaners for million$.
Big C
HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

I don't think Fox has the credibility for that. I'd bet on a D-3 job. He won't need the money after taking Cal to the cleaners for million$.

You don't think NBA players would find Fox's charisma to be very compelling?

calumnus
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

You don't think NBA players would find Fox's charisma to be very compelling?

Yeah, no way Fox is an NBA coach of any sort. I could see him at a service academy, hired by an AD like Knowlton who should also be at a service academy.
stu
calumnus said:

Yeah, no way Fox is an NBA coach of any sort. I could see him at a service academy, hired by an AD like Knowlton who should also be at a service academy.
I hope they understand war better than they understand basketball.
calumnus
stu said:

calumnus said:

I hope they understand war better than they understand basketball.

They spend ALOT more on war so they don't really have to win with smart strategy.
stu
Spending a lot more seems to help in basketball as well. A smart strategy if you have the money.
mbBear
HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

NBA staffs are now larger than ever, especially if you add in the G League. But even back in the day of a few coaches, I met plenty of assistants who couldn't recruit bees to honey, but are X and O geeks, and/or are long time friends and/or associates of good head coaches...Fox has now been around long enough to know a lot of guys...I believe it was Greg Popovich who lobbied on his behalf for the Cal job.
But right, he has made a lot of money, even before Cal. I think the DIII job would have to specific to a region he wants to live in, etc. I don't know a scenario that would bring him back to Nevada, but he is in their Hall of Fame, and had a terrific record there.
calumnus
mbBear said:

HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

NBA staffs are now larger than ever, especially if you add in the G League. But even back in the day of a few coaches, I met plenty of assistants who couldn't recruit bees to honey, but are X and O geeks, and/or are long time friends and/or associates of good head coaches...Fox has now been around long enough to know a lot of guys...I believe it was Greg Popovich who lobbied on his behalf for the Cal job.
But right, he has made a lot of money, even before Cal. I think the DIII job would have to specific to a region he wants to live in, etc. I don't know a scenario that would bring him back to Nevada, but he is in their Hall of Fame, and had a terrific record there.

Mark Fox is not an Xs and Os geek.

But you are right, he has been around a long time and knows people. He is part of the good old boys coaching network. Braun and Monty go out of their way to find reasons to praise him. He did get that volunteer job with Team USA, so anything is possible. It is a profession that can be very clubby. Tough to break in, but once you are in, you are set for life.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

mbBear said:

HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

But you are right, he has been around a long time and knows people. He is part of the good old boys coaching network. Braun and Monty go out of their way to find reasons to praise him. He did get that volunteer job with Team USA, so anything is possible. It is a profession that can be very clubby. Tough to break in, but once you are in, you are set for life.
Yup, the rule of the coaching profession is "Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow coach". The only guy who broke it was Bobby Knight when talking about LSU's coach, Dale Brown: "I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance"
mbBear
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

Yup, the rule of the coaching profession is "Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow coach". The only guy who broke it was Bobby Knight when talking about LSU's coach, Dale Brown: "I was worried about losing until I looked down the floor and saw Dale Brown. Then I knew we had a chance"

Dale Brown was the epitome of the Recruiting College coach...I talked to him for 20 minutes (if memory serves me), and I was ready to go run through walls for him! From that time period, Bobby Cremins of Ga. Tech, was similar...but, in a Northeastern kind of way, and was more about "how important are you to him"...of other coaches I have met, Calipari is the one that wants to charm everyone.
That's also why I said Fox was more X and O, because he isn't the "Recruiting" guy, based on results and what people have told me....I haven't met him directly. Okay, he could be neither, I guess, it's certainly not a hill I am going to die on....and frankly, after he is gone from Cal, there is no one here who cares where he ends up except to the extent if his next job off-sets the Cal financial obligation.
BC Calfan
Not nearly the status of the coaches you've encountered but I met Fran Fraschilla in a Warriors suite years ago. I introduced myself, we spoke for a couple minutes about college hoops. He really made an impression on me with how genuine, engaged and warm he was. Looked me in the eye, actively listening to what I was saying, etc. and I was just a random fan. I didn't get the seedy, ulterior motive vibe at all. And after talking for a couple minutes he said, "it was very nice meeting and talking with you Drew." He remembered my name after I only said it once. Since then I always imagined how effective he must of been with his recruiting pitches. I would have signed up for his program right then and there.
mbBear
BC Calfan said:

Not nearly the status of the coaches you've encountered but I met Fran Fraschilla in a Warriors suite years ago. I introduced myself, we spoke for a couple minutes about college hoops. He really made an impression on me with how genuine, engaged and warm he was. Looked me in the eye, actively listening to what I was saying, etc. and I was just a random fan. I didn't get the seedy, ulterior motive vibe at all. And after talking for a couple minutes he said, "it was very nice meeting and talking with you Drew." He remembered my name after I only said it once. Since then I always imagined how effective he must of been with his recruiting pitches. I would have signed up for his program right then and there.
That's a good example to be sure!
calumnus
mbBear said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

mbBear said:

HearstMining said:

mbBear said:

stu said:

mbBear said:

Dale Brown was the epitome of the Recruiting College coach...I talked to him for 20 minutes (if memory serves me), and I was ready to go run through walls for him! From that time period, Bobby Cremins of Ga. Tech, was similar...but, in a Northeastern kind of way, and was more about "how important are you to him"...of other coaches I have met, Calipari is the one that wants to charm everyone.
That's also why I said Fox was more X and O, because he isn't the "Recruiting" guy, based on results and what people have told me....I haven't met him directly. Okay, he could be neither, I guess, it's certainly not a hill I am going to die on....and frankly, after he is gone from Cal, there is no one here who cares where he ends up except to the extent if his next job off-sets the Cal financial obligation.

Fox is more the old school coach with a whistle. Lou Campanelli. The drill sargent. The high school gym coach. The guy that said he is "going make you work harder than you thought possible." The guy that bragged about players vomiting from practice. He relies on hard work because he isn't that smart, which he admits. He played for Gardner junior college and then Eastern New Mexico. He was a scrapper. He is not part of a coaching tree, but he is now in the coaching club. He is not a great Xs and Os coach. His go to is forcefully getting players to play tough, physical man to man defense. As a result players get injured in practice. His recruiting is poor and his roster strategy is flawed. Like Campanelli, he not interested in hearing the player's opinions. That is insubordination. He might have to admit the guy making nothing knows more about basketball than the guy getting the $millions. So he recruits guys that are new to the game and don't know better. It is a view of the coach as the task master, the general. Absolute authority. He is just a really bad fit for Cal student athletes and for the 21st century and portal era.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.