Story Poster
Photo by Twitter / Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Bears Hit New Low in 68-48 Loss to OSU

January 22, 2023

BERKELEY, CA - With the Bears favored for one of the few times this season (3.5), the Oregon State Beavers came into the game dead last in the conference at 7-12, 1-7 with the Bears clinging to 10th place at 3-16, 2-6. They ended the game finished in a 3-way tie for last after a frustrating 68-48 loss to OSU.

“So disappointed in our defensive play,” said head coach Mark Fox following the loss. “Not to take away from Oregon State because they did make 13 threes but I’m extremely disappointed in our inability to establish any kind of defense that we can rely on. We gave up 50% shooting in both halves.”

For the first 15 minutes, both teams played as if they were battling for last instead of a win, with the Bears holding a 15-14 lead with 4:30 left in the half. Then the Beavers woke up and the Bears went into hibernation, as OSU scored the final 13 points in the half to take a 27-15 lead into the locker room, suddenly catching fire from the perimeter with OSU guard Dexter Akanno starting the run with a layup and trey followed by a pair of Glen Taylor 3’s. Even by Cal’s offensively-challenged standards, their 15-point halftime total was a disaster.

It didn’t get any better from there.

The Bears briefly showed signs of life, starting the half with a Grant Newell (6 points, 3 rebounds) trey which was followed by a 9-point Beaver run. The Bears then countered with a trio of ND Okafor (7 points, 4 rebounds) buckets sandwiched around a Devin Askew 3, to briefly trim the deficit to 11 but it was all downhill from there, as OSU gradually built their lead to 28 points before settling for their 20-point win -their first in the Pac-12 since opening conference play six weeks ago with a win over Washington.

The Bears were without senior guard Dejuan Clayton and soph wing Sam Alajiki, which obviously hurt them on the offensive end but their problems went well being their shooting struggles. Their stat line of 18-for-48 from the field and 20% from 3 didn’t fully tell the story as they struggled to cover the perimeter, allowing OSU to hit 13-of-24 from the arc and securing the ball, with 14 turnovers that seemed to be double that in reality. They did get leading scorer Devin Askew back after a several-game absence but the veteran guard struggled from the field, going just 2-for-12 and 1-for-5 from 3, adding 8 points and 7 assists in the loss.

The Bears were led by forward Kuany Kuany’s 15 points on 6-for-9 shooting from the field. He was the only Bear in double digits in the disappointing loss, which was undoubtedly their best chance of a win remaining on the schedule. Cal fell to 2-7, 3-17 on the season.

Discussion from...

Bears Hit New Low in 68-48 Loss to OSU

3,706 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Big C
CalLifer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this really a new low? I'd think that the 12 game losing streak to open the season, including losses to UC Davis at home as well a host of other teams we should beat in our sleep, is significantly lower than any loss to a P12 team (even if by 20 at home).
89Bear
Fox said he was so disappointed in their defense.
They scored 48 points. I guess that was ok.
BearSD
CalLifer said:

Is this really a new low? I'd think that the 12 game losing streak to open the season, including losses to UC Davis at home as well a host of other teams we should beat in our sleep, is significantly lower than any loss to a P12 team (even if by 20 at home).

It is yet another *new* low, but not the lowest low.

Expect more new lows for as long as Fox continues to be head coach.
calumnus
89Bear said:

"In both halves" so with better defense we could have been winning 15-14 in the first half? I mean, holding a team to 27 in the half is generally pretty good. Only scoring 4 baskets when you have 5 of your 6 possible starters available?

Big C
CalLifer said:

I get your reasoning, but I went to the game and it seemed like a new low to me, too. Just was.
Econ141
How many times has this been the title this season.
MoragaBear
Staff
Big C said:

CalLifer said:

I get your reasoning, but I went to the game and it seemed like a new low to me, too. Just was.
When you lose by 20 to the last place team in the conference at home on the 2nd game of their road trip and play like a CYO team, yes, it's a new low.
PtownBear1
New low, old low, who gives a ****. Surprised the mods even waste their time writing on this trash.
KoreAmBear
89Bear said:

Always disappointed in his defense not that coaching has anything to do with it. Ok I'm all for the Fox protests now at home games. This is getting intolerable.
calumnus
BearSD said:

CalLifer said:

It is yet another *new* low, but not the lowest low.

Expect more new lows for as long as Fox continues to be head coach.

I check the tide charts every day. Every day there are new lows. Some of the new lows are lower than others.
Grrrrah76
What is it going to take to clean house? Glad we don't schedule local high school teams.

GerryLopezBear
Any insight on contract terms?? Is Fox locked in and expensive? If you don't fire someone for this season, you will never fire them.

Are there good reasons we can't do more?
eastcoastcal
Mattlowe said:

Any insight on contract terms?? Is Fox locked in and expensive? If you don't fire someone for this season, you will never fire them.

Are there good reasons we can't do more?

https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/113235

official contract docs
Big C

Grrrrrah76 and Mattlowe, it's gonna take $$$, first and foremost, and also good decision making.

$$$ in the following priority:
- money to buy out Fox's remaining two years.
- money to hire the new guy (depending on how much we wanna spend).
- money for NIL to attract recruits.
- money to replace the existing AD
- money to get going on some sort of dedicated practice facility (we do need something)

Good decision making like the following (prioritized):
- what new coach to hire
- deciding to get another AD
- properly balancing NIL vs. coaches vs. practice facility

What's going on now is flat-out unacceptable. Hopefully folks from the AD up through the Chancellor understand this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.