Would you watch Cal basketball next year if Fox stays?

5,816 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by drizzlybear
HearstMining
How long do you want to ignore this user?
panda said:

HearstMining said:

HKBear97! said:

eastcoastcal said:

Made this thread out of my own curiosity. If you're a poster on this forum you must still follow the program to some extent so I'm curious if Fox being retained would fully end your interest in the program.

Absolutely. No college coach in history has had to deal with more injuries than Coach Fox! John Wooden, Coach K, Roy Williams and Dean Smith would struggle to win four games with such an injury depleted roster!!! It's just an incredible, unbelievable string of bad luck! Just wait until everyone is healthy and he has a true off-season/preseason to mold this group into a champion!
OK, Jim. Step away from the keyboard.

Lol im sure you know that HK's post was sarcastic. Perhaps even your post was too.

But the most unfortunate thing though is people have said the same exact things in his post seriously while defending Fox before. Hopefully those fans have learned their lesson.

Yep - my post was sarcasm-squared.
HearstMining
panda said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

mbBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Made this thread out of my own curiosity. If you're a poster on this forum you must still follow the program to some extent so I'm curious if Fox being retained would fully end your interest in the program.
Throw it back to you a bit, because you are a student: among your friends, how would you and they answer his question?
None of my friends had any interest in going with me to games this season. Even the free t-shirt giveaways couldn't make up for the game to them this year. In my life I've never generally had a problem going to games even when my professional teams have been bad. I can usually find some enjoyment in the sport and gameday atmosphere even when they lose a lot. But this season it just hasn't even been fun. We are just so poorly coached and it hurts to watch the on court product. The energy's so lackluster in the crowd, which makes sense since what is there to root for? It's just not enjoyable to go to the games, as many people here have said. I think I'd sit out next year if Fox is back.

All I want is ONE good season in football or basketball before I graduate. Just one!! Please!!!

Many cal students have shar d this dream. Only few have succeeded.

It's funny seeing Eastcoastcal follow every student's trajectory of being a Cal sports fan in college. You start off optimistic and filled with spirit… only for it to be crushed as the years progress.

I really hope his experience isnt the same but damn it might start looking that way…

Many of us can feel eastcoastcal's pain. Growing up in Berkeley in the '60s-'70s, I learned to temper my expectations about Cal sports. I started at Cal the same time as Mike White became HC and the first couple of years were pretty rough. But then came those '74 and '75 seasons which always felt like karmic payback for the bleak years. I'm sure many fans experienced this during the late Snyder and early Tedford years - coming into the sunshine after years of wandering in darkness.

Every August, I hope for (but never expect) another Cal renaissance. NIL, higher academic standards, and AD incompetence make the odds longer against it happening, but hey, "fan" is short for "fanatic" so why try to be rational about it? Just grab your sunglasses and start walking up Piedmont to the stadium.
calumnus
HearstMining said:

panda said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

mbBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Throw it back to you a bit, because you are a student: among your friends, how would you and they answer his question?
None of my friends had any interest in going with me to games this season. Even the free t-shirt giveaways couldn't make up for the game to them this year. In my life I've never generally had a problem going to games even when my professional teams have been bad. I can usually find some enjoyment in the sport and gameday atmosphere even when they lose a lot. But this season it just hasn't even been fun. We are just so poorly coached and it hurts to watch the on court product. The energy's so lackluster in the crowd, which makes sense since what is there to root for? It's just not enjoyable to go to the games, as many people here have said. I think I'd sit out next year if Fox is back.

All I want is ONE good season in football or basketball before I graduate. Just one!! Please!!!

It's funny seeing Eastcoastcal follow every student's trajectory of being a Cal sports fan in college. You start off optimistic and filled with spirit… only for it to be crushed as the years progress.

I really hope his experience isnt the same but damn it might start looking that way…

Many of us can feel eastcoastcal's pain. Growing up in Berkeley in the '60s-'70s, I learned to temper my expectations about Cal sports. I started at Cal the same time as Mike White became HC and the first couple of years were pretty rough. But then came those '74 and '75 seasons which always felt like karmic payback for the bleak years. I'm sure many fans experienced this during the late Snyder and early Tedford years - coming into the sunshine after years of wandering in darkness.

Every August, I hope for (but never expect) another Cal renaissance. NIL, higher academic standards, and AD incompetence make the odds longer against it happening, but hey, "fan" is short for "fanatic" so why try to be rational about it? Just grab your sunglasses and start walking up Piedmont to the stadium.

The thing is, we have had just enough high level success in the revenue sports at Cal to know it is possible to win at a high level at Cal with the right coaches. However, in our best years with our best teams we have come within inches of grabbing the brass ring. We have dreams left unfulfilled. We know it is possible. We long to build another great team under a coach capable of building a great team to take another shot at the brass ring.

Knowlton and other outsiders completely misread us. Knowlton and Christ think we are Air Force or an Ivy League school. They think we are content to have mediocre teams because that is our norm and we supported those teams in the past. The life of a Cal fan is hope for greatness (and our traditions and a beautiful day in Strawberry Canyon or a packed Haas with the Stawhat Band).

That was the problem with hiring Fox, there was ZERO chance he was going to turn out to be a coach that could build a great team at Cal, give us a shot at a PAC-12 title and make a deep run in the tournament. At least a first time head coach MIGHT turn out to be great.

That was also my issue with the 5 year extension given to Wilcox a year ago. I am hoping Spavital turns it around for him, but a coach finally breaking through to the top of the conference in his 7th or 8th year is pretty much unprecedented. Of course, being given that chance is pretty much unprecedented.
HearstMining
calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

panda said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

mbBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

The thing is, we have had just enough high level success in the revenue sports at Cal to know it is possible to win at a high level at Cal with the right coaches. However, in our best years with our best teams we have come within inches of grabbing the brass ring. We have dreams left unfulfilled. We know it is possible. We long to build another great team under a coach capable of building a great team to take another shot at the brass ring.

Knowlton and other outsiders completely misread us. Knowlton and Christ think we are Air Force or an Ivy League school. They think we are content to have mediocre teams because that is our norm and we supported those teams in the past. The life of a Cal fan is hope for greatness (and our traditions and a beautiful day in Strawberry Canyon or a packed Haas with the Stawhat Band).

That was the problem with hiring Fox, there was ZERO chance he was going to turn out to be a coach that could build a great team at Cal, give us a shot at a PAC-12 title and make a deep run in the tournament. At least a first time head coach MIGHT turn out to be great.

That was also my issue with the 5 year extension given to Wilcox a year ago. I am hoping Spavital turns it around for him, but a coach finally breaking through to the top of the conference in his 7th or 8th year is pretty much unprecedented. Of course, being given that chance is pretty much unprecedented.
I agree with everything you say, I just had to wallow in past Cal football glory for a couple of sentences. However, we're stuck with Wilcox for at least the next couple of years, so as a ray of hope, I'll give you the name of at least one coaching late bloomer: Rich Brooks of Oregon. He didn't win a bowl game until his 12th season and didn't win the Rose Bowl until his 18th! Can you imagine Oregon fans being that patient today? Of course, back then Phil Knight was focused on building Nike and had yet to open his wallet for the Oregon Athletic Department. Anyway, hope springs eternal so Go Bears!
Big C
HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

panda said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

mbBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

I agree with everything you say, I just had to wallow in past Cal football glory for a couple of sentences. However, we're stuck with Wilcox for at least the next couple of years, so as a ray of hope, I'll give you the name of at least one coaching late bloomer: Rich Brooks of Oregon. He didn't win a bowl game until his 12th season and didn't win the Rose Bowl until his 18th! Can you imagine Oregon fans being that patient today? Of course, back then Phil Knight was focused on building Nike and had yet to open his wallet for the Oregon Athletic Department. Anyway, hope springs eternal so Go Bears!

I always think of the example of Rich Brooks. Prior to that, Oregon was a conference doormat. Then after that, Brooks' successor, what's-his-face, had some success and that's about when the Knight money really started rolling in... and look at those quacking Ducks now!

At the risk of sounding like Charlie Brown (with Lucy holding the football), I'm already getting fired up for another try on the gridiron... and also for Cal Basketball in the post-Fox era.

We can do this! Go Bears!
HoopDreams
i'll still renew my season tickets and hope to improve my seats location

i go because I'm a hoops fanatic, love playing in the RSF before and after games, want to support the players, and love being back on campus

this applies to both MBB and WBB

however I've only attended 4 games (3 wins) this season which is by far the fewest i've attended since I started going to games as a student

In past seasons I would often take someone new to games, but these season i haven't because the game and atmosphere is a shell of itself.

when i saw the 2nd Stanford game was on ESPNU (which i don't get) I went to a movie and didn't even check the score until after

drizzlybear
HoopDreams said:

i'll still renew my season tickets and hope to improve my seats location

i go because I'm a hoops fanatic, love playing in the RSF before and after games, want to support the players, and love being back on campus

this applies to both MBB and WBB

however I've only attended 4 games (3 wins) this season which is by far the fewest i've attended since I started going to games as a student

In past seasons I would often take someone new to games, but these season i haven't because the game and atmosphere is a shell of itself.

when i saw the 2nd Stanford game was on ESPNU (which i don't get) I went to a movie and didn't even check the score until after

Three wins in four games attended? I think we've identified the problem. I can already hear Fox's next press conference.

If I lived in the Bay Area, I'd hope to be doing exactly what you're doing.
bearister
bluesaxe said:

This program is dead.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
stu
Negative blood pressure. Life being sucked out.

calumnus
Big C said:

HearstMining said:

calumnus said:

HearstMining said:

panda said:

Econ141 said:

eastcoastcal said:

mbBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

I always think of the example of Rich Brooks. Prior to that, Oregon was a conference doormat. Then after that, Brooks' successor, what's-his-face, had some success and that's about when the Knight money really started rolling in... and look at those quacking Ducks now!

At the risk of sounding like Charlie Brown (with Lucy holding the football), I'm already getting fired up for another try on the gridiron... and also for Cal Basketball in the post-Fox era.

We can do this! Go Bears!

Rich Brooks for the win!

Yes, I am letting dreams of a modern offense with Sam Jackson, Jaydn Ott and our other RBs slicing through the opposition goad me into looking forward to the season, maybe even get a little giddy. I can actually see a path forward where Wilcox is successful.

Hope, it is crack cocaine for Cal fans.
dimitrig

I would always have interest in the program, but I will be so angry if Fox isn't fired that I will go find Knowlton and spit in his face.

oskithepimp
Oh hell no. I haven't watched for years. Spending two hours watching our team get battered is not something that's high on my to do list.
mbBear
eastcoastcal said:

mbBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

Appreciate the reply... thanks...
And thanks for your commitment through it all ..
socaliganbear
No.
bluesaxe
Big C said:

bluesaxe said:

eastcoastcal said:

I didn't watch it this year because he wasn't fired. So no. No way.

And I've been a fan since the 70's, season tix for years until I moved away from the Bay but even after that I've always managed to make 4-5 games and went to great lengths to get the abysmal Pac-12 network just so I could watch Cal hoops.

This program is dead.

The Fox Program is dead (I'm sure that was your point), but Cal Basketball could be respectable again surprisingly soon, with a decent coach and a reasonable amount of NIL. That's the positive side of the current landscape.

- Been to 500+ Games
Could be. How likely is that though? We have an AD who is seriously considering not ending this ****show and who isn't competent enough to do the work to find a decent coach.
BluesandGold2
I became a loyal fan during Brian Hendricks first year (two years before Kidd). I'm on the east coast now, but I'm thinking now is the time to do a little financial investing... buying season tickets is largely a fixed price (with some add-ons), but the quality of the seats is going to improve given so many want to express their disapproval of what Fox has done.

It's the quality of the seats that would determine my choice to purchase, not the production on the court. It's about riding out the recovery to the top half of the conference that is the investment. Once I have secured good seats... fire Fox!

I can't watch the team right now.
oski003
Once I saw we had the lead, I watched the end of the first half on tv, and it told me enough to know the second half was not going to work out. I turned on Netflix. I have a good friend who went to CU, so normally I'd be interested in the game. I wasn't at all. We need a coaching change.
oskidunker
oski003 said:

Once I saw we had the lead, I watched the end of the first half on tv, and it told me enough to know the second half was not going to work out. I turned on Netflix. I have a good friend who went to CU, so normally I'd be interested in the game. I wasn't at all. We need a coaching change.
Thats exactly what I did
Go Bears!
drizzlybear
BluesandGold2 said:

I became a loyal fan during Brian Hendricks first year (two years before Kidd). I'm on the east coast now, but I'm thinking now is the time to do a little financial investing... buying season tickets is largely a fixed price (with some add-ons), but the quality of the seats is going to improve given so many want to express their disapproval of what Fox has done.

It's the quality of the seats that would determine my choice to purchase, not the production on the court. It's about riding out the recovery to the top half of the conference that is the investment. Once I have secured good seats... fire Fox!

I can't watch the team right now.

Small quibble but Kidd was a freshman in Hendrick's senior season. Loved Brian Hendrick.
bearister
drizzlybear said:

Small quibble but Kidd was a freshman in Hendrick's senior season. Loved Brian Hendrick.

Brian and Arizona's Wayne Womack used to ruckus every time the teams met.

"Arizona played the final part of the game without forward Wayne Womack. With 5:33 left in the game, Cal's Brian Hendrick and Womack began throwing elbows under the basket. A fight broke out but the players were quickly separated. Womack then began fighting with Cal guard Ryan Drew."

COLLEGE BASKETBALL / PACIFIC 10 ROUNDUP : Cal Fights Its Way to Upset of No. 5 Arizona, 85-78 - Los Angeles Times

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-01-27-sp-473-story.html

*Yes, Virginia, there once was a time when Cal could knock off a #5.
bearister
oskithepimp said:

Oh hell no. I haven't watched for years. Spending two hours watching our team get battered is not something that's high on my to do list.

Best Avatar All Time. Ron O' Neal would be proud.
Deutsch
I can't watch their play now. With so many other conference teams on cable (SEC, BIG 10, etc.) it's easy to see much sounder basketball being played, virtually everywhere. So I watch a quarter here and there and once in a while switch to a Cal game for a minute or two, only to wince and move on. No need to throw rocks at this point - nothing is working right in that program and it is time for new energies and a fresh start. If A.D. fails to act he should be fired for cause.
drizzlybear
bearister said:

drizzlybear said:

Brian and Arizona's Wayne Womack used to ruckus every time the teams met.

"Arizona played the final part of the game without forward Wayne Womack. With 5:33 left in the game, Cal's Brian Hendrick and Womack began throwing elbows under the basket. A fight broke out but the players were quickly separated. Womack then began fighting with Cal guard Ryan Drew."

COLLEGE BASKETBALL / PACIFIC 10 ROUNDUP : Cal Fights Its Way to Upset of No. 5 Arizona, 85-78 - Los Angeles Times

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-01-27-sp-473-story.html

*Yes, Virginia, there once was a time when Cal could knock off a #5.

Love it so much. I was at that game (and all home games) and Harmon was a madhouse. So. Much. Fun. Thanks for sharing that.
bearister
Notice how Womack figured out it was safer messin' with a wittle guy than with The Man. Brian was, quite simply, the best.
drizzlybear
Haha, for sure. And notice also that Drew didn't care. That place was insane for visiting teams.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.