Story Poster
Photo by CK Hicks / Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Cal Downed By Runnin’ Utes On Road

February 5, 2023

SALT LAKE CITY – Lars Thiemann scored 12 points and Kuany Kuany added 11 but the California men’s basketball team came up short in a 61-46 loss to Utah at the Jon M. Huntsman Center on Sunday afternoon.

The Runnin’ Utes (16-9, 9-5 Pac-12) opened the second half with a 12-1 run to pull away and snap a two-game losing streak, while Cal (3-20, 2-10) suffered its seventh consecutive defeat. The Golden Bears were held to 33.9% shooting (19-of-56) from the floor and connected on just four 3-pointers.

Cal trailed by just five at the half, 29-24, as it held Utah to 34.4% shooting – and 36.8% for the game – while tallying four steals over the first 20 minutes of play. A 3-pointer by Kuany Kuany – who scored nine of his 11 points in the first half – gave Cal an 18-11 lead with 9:22 on the clock, but Utah seized momentum with an 11-0 run in response. Lazar Stefanovic’s driving layup gave the Utes a 24-22 advantage that it held for the remainder of the contest.

A 3-pointer by Wrenn Robinson and a second-chance layup from Obinna Anyanwu cut the Bears’ deficit to 55-40 with 6:20 to go, but they couldn’t get closer.

Cal, which entered the game averaging more than 16 free-throw attempts per game, was just 4-of-8 at the line on Sunday.

Kuany added seven rebounds and two steals to go along with his 11 points.

Graduate guard DeJuan Clayton (illness) was inactive for the third time in the past five games.

UP NEXT

Cal will celebrate Filipino Heritage Night and 50 years of Title IX as the Bears play host to No. 5 Arizona on Thursday, Feb. 9. Tipoff inside of Haas Pavilion is scheduled for 8 p.m. PST and the contest will be televised on the Pac-12 Network.

Discussion from...

Cal Downed By Runnin’ Utes On Road

2,952 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by socaltownie
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2K and Lars had solid games.

Obinna and Wren made some nice plays.

I don't know why we don't post 2K much. Of course it depends on match ups but the pass from Lars to 2K was the only easy basket we had all game, and teams always double Lars

Although no team will win scoring sub-50 points, we had some terrible defensive mis-assignments.

Hate to pick on two young players but Okofor and Obinna are too often out of position allowing opponents uncontested waltzes to the basket, and obinna left Utah's hot shooting center wide open

But okofor has potential as a scorer, rebounder and a defender

Fox favors defense, but with Clayton out, I think Wren needs more PT as we need more shooting

calumnus
HoopDreams said:

I don't know why we don't post 2K much. Of course it depends on match ups but the pass from Lars to 2K was the only easy basket we had all game, and teams always double Lars

Although no team will win scoring sub-50 points, we had some terrible defensive mis-assignments.

Hate to pick on two young players but Okofor and Obinna are too often out of position allowing opponents uncontested waltzes to the basket, and obinna left Utah's hot shooting center wide open

Fox favors defense, but with Clayton out, I think Wren needs more PT as we need more shooting

Wren is by far our best player in the +/- and other advanced stats. Leading in 3 shots (and percentage), assists and steals per minute. Crazy he isn't getting more time with Askew and Clayton out. Is Fox afraid he will have a breakout game if he gets 30 minutes?
oskidunker
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Wren is by far our best player in the +/- and other advanced stats. Leading in 3 shots (and percentage), assists and steals per minute. Crazy he isn't getting more time with Askew and Clayton out. Is Fox afraid he will have a breakout game if he gets 30 minutes?
Yes
Go Bears!
dmh65
https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/06/21/five-star-prospects-give-cal-mens-basketball-no-2-recruiting-class-in-nation/

2015 isn't that long ago, is it?
calumnus
dmh65 said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/06/21/five-star-prospects-give-cal-mens-basketball-no-2-recruiting-class-in-nation/

The number 2 recruiting class, with the exact same facilities, same academic restrictions, still in the City of Berkeley and all the other excuses people make or still are making for Fox and Knowlton.

4thGenCal
calumnus said:

dmh65 said:

The number 2 recruiting class, with the exact same facilities, same academic restrictions, still in the City of Berkeley and all the other excuses people make or still are making for Fox and Knowlton.

Totally with you - it can and should be a winning program, one that is in the top half every season. However today the NIL impact is HUGE and w/o a coach who can/has demonstrated the ability to connect to the wealthy donor's, its nearly impossible to attract enough top level players (NIL drives recruiting commits). Thus the priority on whomever the AD turns to, has to have strong personal connections to that limited #/financial base of Cal basketball passionate supporters. Pasternack has shown the ability to raise funds at UCSB and attract solid players (has put players in the NBA). Specifically thru his efforts funds were raised to upgrade the locker rooms, weight training facility and the Thunderdome Arena. He has the ear of several key donor's who will step up, should be become the next Cal HC.
eastcoastcal
4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

dmh65 said:

Totally with you - it can and should be a winning program, one that is in the top half every season. However today the NIL impact is HUGE and w/o a coach who can/has demonstrated the ability to connect to the wealthy donor's, its nearly impossible to attract enough top level players (NIL drives recruiting commits). Thus the priority on whomever the AD turns to, has to have strong personal connections to that limited #/financial base of Cal basketball passionate supporters. Pasternack has shown the ability to raise funds at UCSB and attract solid players (has put players in the NBA). Specifically thru his efforts funds were raised to upgrade the locker rooms, weight training facility and the Thunderdome Arena. He has the ear of several key donor's who will step up, should be become the next Cal HC.
two questions

1) how likely is it he will leave UCSB for another job
2) how likely is it he would choose us over another job in case multiple programs inquire about him
Big C
eastcoastcal said:

4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

dmh65 said:

two questions

2) how likely is it he would choose us over another job in case multiple programs inquire about him

1) good
2) good
calumnus
Big C said:

eastcoastcal said:

4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

dmh65 said:

two questions

1) good
2) good

I agree, it is the NIL era. He would not be anywhere close to my top candidate in the past, but I can see him being really effective in the new era if the big donors really are willing to support him with major NIL.
BeachedBear
calumnus said:

Big C said:

eastcoastcal said:

4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

dmh65 said:

two questions

1) good
2) good

I agree, it is the NIL era. He would not be anywhere close to my top candidate in the past, but I can see him being really effective in the new era if the big donors really are willing to support him with major NIL.
First, my confidence level that JK will move on from Fox is pretty low. He should have done it last season - and didn't. Second, if JK DOES terminate Fox, I'm confident that he will drag his feet in the process and miss on a lot of strong candidates (like Joe P) who will make quick coaching changes during and after the tournament.

If a real AD was going to replace Fox, he would have a short list by (having already narrowed down the long list) and would be working back channels in order to make a surprise announcement in late March or early April. But I just don't see JK as that type of AD (but I would love to be surprised).

My cynical guess is that sometime in mid-April, I'll get an email from JK explaining how, after the post season review, he has decided to move on from FOX and that he will be working with a great search firm in the coming months to find a great replacement. Sometime in August, we'll get another re-tread for another 5 years.
socaltownie
BeachedBear said:

calumnus said:

Big C said:

eastcoastcal said:

4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

dmh65 said:

two questions

1) good
2) good

First, my confidence level that JK will move on from Fox is pretty low. He should have done it last season - and didn't. Second, if JK DOES terminate Fox, I'm confident that he will drag his feet in the process and miss on a lot of strong candidates (like Joe P) who will make quick coaching changes during and after the tournament.

If a real AD was going to replace Fox, he would have a short list by (having already narrowed down the long list) and would be working back channels in order to make a surprise announcement in late March or early April. But I just don't see JK as that type of AD (but I would love to be surprised).

My cynical guess is that sometime in mid-April, I'll get an email from JK explaining how, after the post season review, he has decided to move on from FOX and that he will be working with a great search firm in the coming months to find a great replacement. Sometime in August, we'll get another re-tread for another 5 years.
My hope is that one of the strengthes that Joe P brings is VOCAL donors who WILL be demanding on Fox. I am not sure that they will say "our way or the highway" but I think they will make it clear that they wanted him 4 years ago, expressed that, and that it is time to follow through
Take care of your Chicken
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.