Is Pasternack good at the basketball aspect of coaching?

11,994 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BearyWhite
sluggo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hav read many times that Cal has to hire Pasternack. Mostly it is because he will bring in donors, he is a good recruiter, and he "knows" Cal and it is his dream to coach at Cal. And that he has a good record, although he is coaching against very low level competition and has no NCAA tournament success. I want someone who is good at the basketball aspect of coaching because those skills will be needed to translate to a higher level. Is he good?

Another site says: "Slow pace, doesn't take many 3s, good on the glass on both ends, allows teams to take a ton of 3s." That does not sound great. I notice his team is 329th nationally with 5.5 threes made per game. In KenPom his team is listed as 85th at adjusted offensive efficiency and 156th at adjusted defensive efficiency. I care a lot more about offense, and that is mediocre. It looks like his past teams were slightly better offensively.

So what is the basketball argument for him? Do his teams look good to the eye? Is he a great developer of talent? Do his teams set screens away from the ball? Do they move without the ball? Is the other site correct about slow pace? Is he modern in terms of the 3 point shot?
socaltownie
sluggo said:

I hav read many times that Cal has to hire Pasternack. Mostly it is because he will bring in donors, he is a good recruiter, and he "knows" Cal and it is his dream to coach at Cal. And that he has a good record, although he is coaching against very low level competition and has no NCAA tournament success. I want someone who is good at the basketball aspect of coaching because those skills will be needed to translate to a higher level. Is he good?

Another site says: "Slow pace, doesn't take many 3s, good on the glass on both ends, allows teams to take a ton of 3s." That does not sound great. I notice his team is 329th nationally with 5.5 threes made per game. In KenPom his team is listed as 85th at adjusted offensive efficiency and 156th at adjusted defensive efficiency. I care a lot more about offense, and that is mediocre. It looks like his past teams were slightly better offensively.

So what is the basketball argument for him? Do his teams look good to the eye? Is he a great developer of talent? Do his teams set screens away from the ball? Do they move without the ball? Is the other site correct about slow pace? Is he modern in terms of the 3 point shot?

They play fundamentally sound basektball. It is very difficult to actually answer your last paragraph because of the quality of play/players in the Big West.

He made the tournament 2 of the past 3 years (we will see this year) in a one team conference. His team lost by a point to creighton as a #12 playing them at an unfavorable pod (Indy).

The second paragraph (not sure which site) reminds me of Zona under Miller. They never really were a 3 point but played fundamentally good basketball and usually played "in to out".
TilWeWobble
TilWeWobble
I read what Sluggo read and it caused me the same concerns he raised: "slow pace" offense? We've had enough of slowing the pace to compensate for inferior talent. Reducing the number of possessions is not only ineffective it is boring. If this truly is Pasternak's preferred style, and I don't know whether it is, that's not the direction I would go. Anyone seen enough of his teams' play to have an informed opinion on this?
bluesaxe
sluggo said:

That 85 rank in adjusted offensive efficiency is the best ranking in the conference by 51 places, and the overall ranking is in part a function of playing in a league where you won't get much strength of schedule help. The questions I'd have are does he prefer the slower paced game or is it a function of the players he's been able to land. He's been there long enough that you'd think it was the former, which I wouldn't love. Can he recruit to Cal with that system even assuming the availability of NIL money?

Give me Pasternak over Miles any day though.
bluesaxe
socaltownie said:

sluggo said:

They play fundamentally sound basektball. It is very difficult to actually answer your last paragraph because of the quality of play/players in the Big West.

He made the tournament 2 of the past 3 years (we will see this year) in a one team conference. His team lost by a point to creighton as a #12 playing them at an unfavorable pod (Indy).

The second paragraph (not sure which site) reminds me of Zona under Miller. They never really were a 3 point but played fundamentally good basketball and usually played "in to out".
And Miller, during his time off before going to Xavier, watched a lot of hoops and realized his approach was not keeping up with the modern game and went to a fast-paced offense based on ball movement and outside shooting. Which is more entertaining if you can recruit players who fit that system, and also likely more effective come tournament time should Cal ever get back to that level.
bluesaxe
TilWeWobble said:

I read what Sluggo read and it caused me the same concerns he raised: "slow pace" offense? We've had enough of slowing the pace to compensate for inferior talent. Reducing the number of possessions is not only ineffective it is boring. If this truly is Pasternak's preferred style, and I don't know whether it is, that's not the direction I would go. Anyone seen enough of his teams' play to have an
Boring yes. Whether it's ineffective depends a lot on your defense and your ability to get good shots and hit them at a high percentage on offense. Virginia has been boring but quite effective under Bennett. The year they won the championship they were 353 in adjusted tempo on offense. The difference between that and Fox with Cal is that Bennett is a far superior coach who brought in better players who fit what he does.
4thGenCal
bluesaxe said:

sluggo said:

That 85 rank in adjusted offensive efficiency is the best ranking in the conference by 51 places, and the overall ranking is in part a function of playing in a league where you won't get much strength of schedule help. The questions I'd have are does he prefer the slower paced game or is it a function of the players he's been able to land. He's been there long enough that you'd think it was the former, which I wouldn't love. Can he recruit to Cal with that system even assuming the availability of NIL money?

If JP get's the job and there will be attempts to land "big names'/national names - Joe will recruit extremely well. JP has earned and developed outstanding trusted relationships with Oakland Soldiers/PP programs along with key African country programs. Locally Bill Duffy/Calvin Andrews will support JP as well. JP has a very strong/effective network locally which is very important for Cal. Shore up the Bay Area/Sacramento as hoping for National coverage is hard to sustain without a proven tradition of winning. Pasternack will be able to recruit even better with a Power 5 team attraction to play for. He wins and former players respect him _ Leon Powe, Sean Marx, Omar Wilkes, Ryan Anderson, Theo, Midgely, Ubaka, etc Also interestingly Dennis Gates will endorse JP as they have a good relationship. Gates will receive the respectful call of "are you interested in the Cal job' and He will politely decline, but if asked He would endorse JP.
Econ141
We have been playing boring basketball forever. Is there not anyone that plays an up tempo game that recruits would have fun playing in?

Let's face it - this program needs excitement. Its going to be a long road to mediocrity and I am tired of watching good defense that leads to zero offense.
Bobodeluxe
"a long road to mediocrity"

Haas needs this banner.
Civil Bear
Econ141 said:

We have been playing boring basketball forever. Is there not anyone that plays an up tempo game that recruits would have fun playing in?

Let's face it - this program needs excitement. Its going to be a long road to mediocrity and I am tired of watching good defense that leads to zero offense.
Winning will breed excitement. I don't care how it's achieved.
Jeff82
The data on which this argument is being made mostly, IMHO, reflects the fact that we're looking at a coach who only has mid-major experience. Sorry, but that's the pool we're swimming in at this point, unless you want a retread.

Given that he worked for Miller, who played different styles depending on the personnel he had at Arizona, I'm confident that he'll shape the approach to who he can get, and that he'll get better recruits than Fox.

Basically, you have to project for all the likely candidates what they'll be able to do moving up to a Power 5 conference. But at least Pasternack has been an assistant at a major program. My number two would be Legans, because of his West Coast ties, and that he's a young AA coach.
Bobodeluxe
Civil Bear said:

Econ141 said:

Winning will breed excitement. I don't care how it's achieved.
Todd Bozeman is coming back!
BeachedBear
sluggo said:

When Pasternack was on the Cal staff and I was coaching AAU and summer camps, I had the opportunity to coach with him. he knows his X's & O's. He also gets adapting his scheme to his talent and opponents. More importantly, Joe knows all of the other things that go into a D1 college program - recruiting, donor outreach, administration support, fan engagement. Even more importantly, he's a basketball junkie - he will sit and talk schemes all day long and is always learning new things and trying to learn and adapt.

A very long time ago, I got to listen to an aged Pete Newell and Bob Knight geek out on X's and O's. It put most of my STEM professors to shame in terms of Nerddom. Joe P struck me in that vein (not in the chair throwing Knight vein).

Are there better coaches out there that Cal could get? I think so - but not with Knowlton in charge. Would Joe be successful at Cal? My sense is, given a few seasons - we would be comparing him (favorably) to Braun in his third or fourth season. Which is successful IMHO. Will Joe come to Cal - I think last year was our opportunity and unless Knowlton is replaced - he will find better pastures.

I'm glad Fox is fired, but the fact it took so long leaves me with no confidence in JK. If we can hire Joe, despite JK - I would be very thrilled and consider rejoining the CalmBB donor pool. If, as some on BI suggest, better minds like Marks, Abdur Rahim, Kidd and others are part of the decision, we could even do better. However, I don't have a good feeling that JK is self aware enough to step back and let someone competent take over.
eastcoastcal
It's a good question and I would love for someone with more technical expertise with bball to do a film review and report--

I will say I asked a similar question many months ago about our slow pace, and was informed that slow pace doesn't have to be a barometer of poor coaching. For example, #1 in kenpom is Houston, who plays at a bottom 20 pace in the country. In fact, if you look at the top 20, there are many programs in the 300s for tempo.

I would like to know if his pacing is a function of the talent he works with in the Big West, or just a feature of his scheme, or something else.
BeachedBear
eastcoastcal said:

It's a good question and I would love for someone with more technical expertise with bball to do a film review and report--

I will say I asked a similar question many months ago about our slow pace, and was informed that slow pace doesn't have to be a barometer of poor coaching. For example, #1 in kenpom is Houston, who plays at a bottom 20 pace in the country. In fact, if you look at the top 20, there are many programs in the 300s for tempo.

I would like to know if his pacing is a function of the talent he works with in the Big West, or just a feature of his scheme, or something else.
The ability for a coach/team to dictate pace is the most important thing (vs the pace itself). After that, a coaches may scheme to dictate pace - but also the competition and their ability to change tempo has an impact. A coach can scheme due to his talent or his desires or combination.

Fox seemed to decide that a VERY slow pace was what he desired regardless of the players. That was bad. The talent on this team should probably have been scoring in the 60s and 70s more than they did. If you're going to play in the 50s, you need a dominant post player and some good shooters to make it count at the end of the shot clock - Fox had none of that. Fox's teams best attribute was probably defense and grit (not that they were good defensively, just their best attribute). They should have used that to force tempo and turnovers and get more layups and open shots early in the shot clock. But that didn't ever happen. So Fox was actually lessening our chances by sticking to his guns on pace. Furthermore, our team couldn't dictate pace - so when we did score 70, the other team scored 90.

The whole idea to keep the score low to give us a chance at the end is a total farce.

Most high major teams have a talent level that can adjust their pace. Many mid-majors (like UCSB and Pasternack can do so as well, but probably not as impactfully and rely more on their talent level to dictate pace. Once in a while you'll see a mid-major that is an outlier and playing to an extreme - usually with some sort of gimmick. It can work (see LMU) - but not as often as one would hope.

I too, would like some film review. Maybe I should have watched from Gaucho games after I turned off the Cal broadcast in disgust the last few seasons.
Pittstop
Wasn't Boeheim's zone boring for 47 years? And HE never had problems recruiting, or winning NCAA Tournament games.
HoopDreams
this is why the decision for a new coach can not be solely by the AD

any coach coming to cal might be a little concerned being hired by him given the situation, but this can be mitigated by the Cal basketball royalty being part of the decision so that if JK leaves the coach isnt left on an island

BeachedBear said:

sluggo said:

When Pasternack was on the Cal staff and I was coaching AAU and summer camps, I had the opportunity to coach with him. he knows his X's & O's. He also gets adapting his scheme to his talent and opponents. More importantly, Joe knows all of the other things that go into a D1 college program - recruiting, donor outreach, administration support, fan engagement. Even more importantly, he's a basketball junkie - he will sit and talk schemes all day long and is always learning new things and trying to learn and adapt.

A very long time ago, I got to listen to an aged Pete Newell and Bob Knight geek out on X's and O's. It put most of my STEM professors to shame in terms of Nerddom. Joe P struck me in that vein (not in the chair throwing Knight vein).

Are there better coaches out there that Cal could get? I think so - but not with Knowlton in charge. Would Joe be successful at Cal? My sense is, given a few seasons - we would be comparing him (favorably) to Braun in his third or fourth season. Which is successful IMHO. Will Joe come to Cal - I think last year was our opportunity and unless Knowlton is replaced - he will find better pastures.

I'm glad Fox is fired, but the fact it took so long leaves me with no confidence in JK. If we can hire Joe, despite JK - I would be very thrilled and consider rejoining the CalmBB donor pool. If, as some on BI suggest, better minds like Marks, Abdur Rahim, Kidd and others are part of the decision, we could even do better. However, I don't have a good feeling that JK is self aware enough to step back and let someone competent take over.
BearlyCareAnymore
BeachedBear said:

eastcoastcal said:

The ability for a coach/team to dictate pace is the most important thing (vs the pace itself). After that, a coaches may scheme to dictate pace - but also the competition and their ability to change tempo has an impact. A coach can scheme due to his talent or his desires or combination.

Fox seemed to decide that a VERY slow pace was what he desired regardless of the players. That was bad. The talent on this team should probably have been scoring in the 60s and 70s more than they did. If you're going to play in the 50s, you need a dominant post player and some good shooters to make it count at the end of the shot clock - Fox had none of that. Fox's teams best attribute was probably defense and grit (not that they were good defensively, just their best attribute). They should have used that to force tempo and turnovers and get more layups and open shots early in the shot clock. But that didn't ever happen. So Fox was actually lessening our chances by sticking to his guns on pace. Furthermore, our team couldn't dictate pace - so when we did score 70, the other team scored 90.

The whole idea to keep the score low to give us a chance at the end is a total farce.

Most high major teams have a talent level that can adjust their pace. Many mid-majors (like UCSB and Pasternack can do so as well, but probably not as impactfully and rely more on their talent level to dictate pace. Once in a while you'll see a mid-major that is an outlier and playing to an extreme - usually with some sort of gimmick. It can work (see LMU) - but not as often as one would hope.

I too, would like some film review. Maybe I should have watched from Gaucho games after I turned off the Cal broadcast in disgust the last few seasons.
I would reformulate the question.

First, the coach needs to look at his school's strength and weaknesses and really understand what type of recruits s/he can pull. Some schools may just be recruiting from a pool of players who will be better at a slow pace. It seemed like Gates did an outstanding job of this at Cleveland State.

In terms of basketball acumen, one thing I would look at is how his results at UCSB have compared to his recruiting classes compared to his conference. Obviously recruiting well is a good thing, but you also have to be aware if a mid major coach is beating his conference with the top recruiting class. If so, you have to decide whether you think he can recruit as well in YOUR conference. I have no knowledge of Pasternack's record on this.

That said, while a coach has many attributes to be judged on, they are ultimately judged on final product. I'm not a big fan of Cuonzo, but a lot of people discounted his early results because they thought he wasn't good on the court. Well, he wasn't. But his team did what it did and the fact that the results came primarily from recruiting success didn't really matter. Had he been able to keep that up, and boy he sure was not able to, we still would have had some of our best teams. I understand the frustration of watching a team that you think could be better, but ultimately I'd rather be a supremely talented team that you think could be 27-3, but instead is 22-8 than a team you think should be 12-18 who is 18-12. Same thing with players. There are some who I think prefer the #300 recruit who plays like a #250 then a #5 recruit who plays like a #20. (Jaylen Brown seemed to be the poster child for this attitude.)
GoCal80
This came as a surprise to me and I did not know where else to post it - maybe this is common knowledge among Cal fans already? From Pasternak's Wikipedia page: " He and his wife, Lindsay (ne Bernstein), have a son Joe IV and a daughter Lilly.[1][5] His wife served on the board of directors of the Tucson Jewish Community Center.[2] Her brother Roxy Bernstein is a college basketball play-by-play announcer for ESPN.[6]"
Jeff82
GoCal80 said:

This came as a surprise to me and I did not know where else to post it - maybe this is common knowledge among Cal fans already? From Pasternak's Wikipedia page: " He and his wife, Lindsay (ne Bernstein), have a son Joe IV and a daughter Lilly.[1][5] His wife served on the board of directors of the Tucson Jewish Community Center.[2] Her brother Roxy Bernstein is a college basketball play-by-play announcer for ESPN.[6]"
It's common knowledge among those of us who have been Cal fans for awhile. Back when Roxy was still doing the Cal games on radio, and there was a post-game show from Looney's, Roxy would come and hang out after the game. That was when Joe P. was in his first head job at New Orleans, and Roxy would be checking his phone to see how they did.

Joe did a good job there, and received kudos from finding players and his coaches places to land when the school decided to abandon the program after Hurricane Katrina.
calumnus
Pittstop said:

Wasn't Boeheim's zone boring for 47 years? And HE never had problems recruiting, or winning NCAA Tournament games.

Other than blocks and steals, I am rarely entertained by defense, but I find zones really interesting, mostly because so few teams use them, but those that do are usually successful with them.

Boeheim's ability to recruit NYC made the difference. And it is slow, boring offenses that turn off top recruits.

Mark Few plays at a fast tempo, his players are looking for good shots (especially open threes) throughout the shot clock. He also doesn't try to deny any shot and run out the shot clock, he tries to deny high percentage shots and sucker opponents into taking low percentage shots.

BearlyCareAnymore
calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

Other than blocks and steals, I am rarely entertained by defense, but I find zones really interesting, mostly because so few teams use them, but those that do are usually successful with them.

Boeheim's ability to recruit NYC made the difference. And it is slow, boring offenses that turn off top recruits.

Mark Few plays at a fast tempo, his players are looking for good shots (especially open threes) throughout the shot clock. He also doesn't try to deny any shot and run out the shot clock, he tries to deny high percentage shots and sucker opponents into taking low percentage shots.

To be clear, running a slow pace should never be based on pounding the ball for 20 seconds before you start the offense, or deliberately passing up high percentage shots early in the clock. It should be about being selective on the offensive side and about denying easy shots on the defensive side. But you should always be looking to score. I look at it as the offense normally produces its most efficient shot later in the clock, but the goal should be trying to take the most efficient shot even it that comes early in the clock (unless of course you are running clock late in a game with a lead).
Big C
BearlyCareAnymore said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

To be clear, running a slow pace should never be based on pounding the ball for 20 seconds before you start the offense, or deliberately passing up high percentage shots early in the clock. It should be about being selective on the offensive side and about denying easy shots on the defensive side. But you should always be looking to score. I look at it as the offense normally produces its most efficient shot later in the clock, but the goal should be trying to take the most efficient shot even it that comes early in the clock (unless of course you are running clock late in a game with a lead).

That's your theory. Coach Fox had his own theory:

+ Run 20 seconds off the clock and hopefully do not turn the ball over during that time
+ With 10 seconds left, confuse and confound the defense and the fans alike by appearing to not be aware of the clock
+ 5 seconds left and it's go-time: Whoever has the ball, look surprised and take 4-6 seconds to hoist a desperation shot
calumnus
Big C said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

+ Run 20 seconds off the clock and hopefully do not turn the ball over during that time
+ With 10 seconds left, confuse and confound the defense and the fans alike by appearing to not be aware of the clock
+ 5 seconds left and it's go-time: Whoever has the ball, look surprised and take 4-6 seconds to hoist a desperation shot

Fox consistently has one of the slowest tempos in the country. The idea is to reduce the number of possessions for BOTH teams. It is using the Law of Averages in reverse: The more possessions both teams have, the more likely the better team wins, so the fewer both teams have, the greater the chance the inferior teams gets lucky and pulls an upset. So the idea is to play tough defense, denying any shots as long as possible even if eventually you give up an easy one (hence the poor defensive efficiency). Then on offense burn clock until the last few seconds when your best offensive player plays hero ball. It is a short term strategy for trying to get to almost .500 and occasionally knocking off Kentucky. It can get your one featured scorer POY honors and maybe even a future in the NBA. It will not get you above .500 (without loading up on OOC patsies). You will not build in recruiting. It requires ruling with an iron fist because it is no fun for the players, except maybe the featured scorer unless he is a team oriented guy like Sueing, Bradley or Kelly who understands and wants to play basketball at a higher level. Those guys just transfer to better teams.
sluggo
4thGenCal said:

bluesaxe said:

sluggo said:

If JP get's the job and there will be attempts to land "big names'/national names - Joe will recruit extremely well. JP has earned and developed outstanding trusted relationships with Oakland Soldiers/PP programs along with key African country programs. Locally Bill Duffy/Calvin Andrews will support JP as well. JP has a very strong/effective network locally which is very important for Cal. Shore up the Bay Area/Sacramento as hoping for National coverage is hard to sustain without a proven tradition of winning. Pasternack will be able to recruit even better with a Power 5 team attraction to play for. He wins and former players respect him _ Leon Powe, Sean Marx, Omar Wilkes, Ryan Anderson, Theo, Midgely, Ubaka, etc Also interestingly Dennis Gates will endorse JP as they have a good relationship. Gates will receive the respectful call of "are you interested in the Cal job' and He will politely decline, but if asked He would endorse JP.
I feel like most of Cal's bad hires have been when they hire recruiters. I want a coach good at the basketball side. The only conference title of my lifetime was under Monty, the only coach who was good at the basketball stuff. I plan to watch UCSB tonight. I am curious and open minded.
sluggo
calumnus said:

Big C said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

Fox consistently has one of the slowest tempos in the country. The idea is to reduce the number of possessions for BOTH teams. It is using the Law of Averages in reverse: The more possessions both teams have, the more likely the better team wins, so the fewer both teams have, the greater the chance the inferior teams gets lucky and pulls an upset. So the idea is to play tough defense, denying any shots as long as possible even if eventually you give up an easy one (hence the poor defensive efficiency). Then on offense burn clock until the last few seconds when your best offensive player plays hero ball. It is a short term strategy for trying to get to almost .500 and occasionally knocking off Kentucky. It can get your one featured scorer POY honors and maybe even a future in the NBA. It will not get you above .500 (without loading up on OOC patsies). You will not build in recruiting. It requires ruling with an iron fist because it is no fun for the players, except maybe the featured scorer unless he is a team oriented guy like Sueing, Bradley or Kelly who understands and wants to play basketball at a higher level. Those guys just transfer to better teams.
Correct use of the law of averages! Rare when talking about sports but exciting. I would not call it in reverse; it is the law of averages for the worse team. I think Fox properly understood the law of averages and would have played faster if he could have recruited better. He thought this season's team was better than it was so he talked about playing faster going into the season. But he was wrong. So glad he is gone.
Bearprof
How fast was the pace during Mike Montgomery's tenure? It seems to me that he ran plays thatt were very effective but I'm not sure his pace was very high. It was sure fun to watch.
sluggo
calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

I love zones and think they are superior to man as it makes no sense to chase players when they are not in dangerous positions and zone takes less energy, which should allow better players to play more and to have more energy for offense. Some day teams will mostly play zone because they are superior because the universe is rational, I think. But change in sports is slow.
BearlyCareAnymore
sluggo said:

4thGenCal said:

bluesaxe said:

sluggo said:

I feel like most of Cal's bad hires have been when they hire recruiters. I want a coach good at the basketball side. The only conference title of my lifetime was under Monty, the only coach who was good at the basketball stuff. I plan to watch UCSB tonight. I am curious and open minded.
Yeah, but the only Sweet 16's were with a recruiter and with a coach who was mediocre at the basketball stuff with a roster entirely inherited from the recruiter. The highest tourney seeds were with the recruiters. I'm not sure we can count on the conference to ever stink as bad as the year we won it.

There was no worse hire than Fox and he was most certainly not a recruiter. Wyking wasn't anything.

I don't favor either, to be clear. You do what you do however you do it.
sluggo
bluesaxe said:

sluggo said:

Okay, but they are 68th at unadjusted offensive efficiency against lackluster competition. They have literally not played anyone good all season, even out of conference. I looked back like four years and they were slightly better than this season on average, but never great.
sluggo
BeachedBear said:

sluggo said:

Interesting first hand report. I know Cal could do a lot worse.
calumnus
BearlyCareAnymore said:

sluggo said:

4thGenCal said:

bluesaxe said:

sluggo said:

Yeah, but the only Sweet 16's were with a recruiter and with a coach who was mediocre at the basketball stuff with a roster entirely inherited from the recruiter. The highest tourney seeds were with the recruiters. I'm not sure we can count on the conference to ever stink as bad as the year we won it.

There was no worse hire than Fox and he was most certainly not a recruiter. Wyking wasn't anything.

I don't favor either, to be clear. You do what you do however you do it.

Even Monty's regular season champion team was early, with a team comprised mostly of Braun's recruits plus a few key transfers.

BeachedBear
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

I love zones and think they are superior to man as it makes no sense to chase players when they are not in dangerous positions and zone takes less energy, which should allow better players to play more and to have more energy for offense. Some day teams will mostly play zone because they are superior because the universe is rational, I think. But change in sports is slow.
There are lots of coaches in AAU and CYO (and still a few in high schools) that think this way. It was fun to chew them up. Man to Man defense when you can. Zone defense if you need to. There are some exceptions - UNLV under Tark played an Amoeba Zone (similar to a matchup zone) which is really a hybrid of of Man defense, but at least avoids chasing the constantly running shooters most of the time (think Klay, Steph and that kid from Gonzaga that never panned out in NBA - Adam Morrison?) - as Sluggo suggests saving energy.
BeachedBear
sluggo said:

BeachedBear said:

sluggo said:

Interesting first hand report. I know Cal could do a lot worse.
BTW - I also coached with Bozeman, when he was HC at Cal. He did not know his X's and O's - but was learning and always surrounded himself with good assistants (sort of the anti-FOX). He was a pretty darn good guard in college who really wanted to be a great coach, but at the time was a top recruiter (vs other coaching attributes). Other than getting caught (and I don't forgive that at all). He was a very passionate and generous person. Pretty much everyone around liked him.

At that time in College sports, cheating was absolutely everywhere. So, I wasn't surprised what followed later. I was just an AAU coach and I had parents offering me money like that would help. I actually donated my summer camp stipends because it was so bad. That whole experience turned me hard from AAU basketball for many years until my own kids came of age.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.