Washington Post profile of Dennis Gates

883 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by calumnus
mdbear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jerry Brewer of the Washington Post wrote a glowing profile of Dennis Gates.

See https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/17/dennis-gates-missouri-basketball/

For those who are unable to access the article, here is a key quote:

"In a sport grudgingly changing with the times, he is emerging as a leader in a new wave of men's college basketball coaches who have fresh ideas about how to motivate and teach younger generations of players. More than that, he has an innate feel for building community through basketball."

The article praises Gates for being "genuine." It notes that Ben Braun and many of his former Cal teammates came to his NCAA tournament first round game. After the game, Gates invited Braun to the locker room and introduced him to the players as "someone who changed my life." Gate and Braun then openly wept in the locker room in front of the players.

I view Gates as the ONE WHO GOT AWAY. One of Knowlton's many mistakes was deciding last year that Fox could turn things around and not making a serious run at hiring Gates before Missouri snapped him up. Now Gates is a hot commodity and far beyond Cal's salary range. Nevertheless, I continue to cheer for him because he demonstrated so much class at Cal and got half way through a master's degree in four years. He was a model student athlete and has become a model alum by applying his intensity to the strategic and psychological aspects of basketball coaching. The sport needs more coaches like Gates.
Big C

Yeah, happy for Gates. It was our own damned fault not to have lured him back last year when we still maybe could've.
Econ141
mdbear said:

See https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/17/dennis-gates-missouri-basketball/

"In a sport grudgingly changing with the times, he is emerging as a leader in a new wave of men's college basketball coaches who have fresh ideas about how to motivate and teach younger generations of players. More than that, he has an innate feel for building community through basketball."

The article praises Gates for being "genuine." It notes that Ben Braun and many of his former Cal teammates came to his NCAA tournament first round game. After the game, Gates invited Braun to the locker room and introduced him to the players as "someone who changed my life." Gate and Braun then openly wept in the locker room in front of the players.

I view Gates as the ONE WHO GOT AWAY. One of Knowlton's many mistakes was deciding last year that Fox could turn things around and not making a serious run at hiring Gates before Missouri snapped him up. Now Gates is a hot commodity and far beyond Cal's salary range. Nevertheless, I continue to cheer for him because he demonstrated so much class at Cal and got half way through a master's degree in four years. He was a model student athlete and has become a model alum by applying his intensity to the strategic and psychological aspects of basketball coaching. The sport needs more coaches like Gates.

We should collectively just keep forwarding these types of articles to Christ. Tired of hearing about all the misses and as Wilner put in a recent tweet about the state of college basketball in the pac-12 " the blackhole in the Bay area".

Just effing tired of this admin. They should have term limits and voted on by alumni.
calumnus
mdbear said:

This is what I was trying to explain to some of the older members of our board, why Knowlton/Fox and the 19th Century authoritarian military model of coaching that chose Fox and protected McKeever was SUCH a bad fit, for the 21st Century, the West Coast and especially for Cal. As I have been saying, go watch some Dennis Gates videos , he totally GETS it.

However, Gates isn't the only one who gets it. And anyone who spent time in Berkeley as a student in the last few decades is more likely to understand than others. We missed out on Gates, but we need to be looking for, and developing, the next Gates.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

mdbear said:

We should collectively just keep forwarding these types of articles to Christ. Tired of hearing about all the misses and as Wilner put in a recent tweet about the state of college basketball in the pac-12 " the blackhole in the Bay area".

Just effing tired of this admin. They should have term limits and voted on by alumni.

As I said in another post, the system that chooses a chancellor is entirely based on academics administration. Christ is a Victorian literature expert who ran Smith College before running Cal. She has zero expertise in P5 athletics especially big time football and basketball and was not qualified to hire an AD. At a minimum, the Cal chancellor needs to have an alumni advisory committee, but ideally most of the functions of the athletics department would be outsourced to an alumni run non-profit.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.