Mark Madsen

12,005 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigDaddy
eastcoastcal
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bearsandgiants
LOL
Gkhoury2325
There is nothing like having a little favoritism
And nepatism with Mike Montgomery advocating for Madsen and adding Montgomery's son to the staff. Instead of Cal going with someone like AAR or JP who have proven to be recruiters, can excite the fam base. We went with the fifth choice. Cannot make this up, Madsen coaching at Cal. Here is to hoping he donates half his salary to NIL, so we can get a few players. Wow! Lazy hire in my opinion.
BadNewsBear1
So much for JK feeling the heat to hire an African American candidate.

Madsen is about as non-AA as they come.
DavisBear
Are there any players he can bring with him from Utah Valley?
socaltownie
DavisBear said:

Are there any players he can bring with him from Utah Valley?

Nope. They really are a last chance place with their two best players cc transfers
oski003
BadNewsBear1 said:

How is he as non-AA as they come? That's ridiculous. He played in the NBA, and his teammates loved him.
socaltownie
oski003 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

How is he as non-AA as they come? That's ridiculous. He played in the NBA, and his teammates loved him.

Ok. He is ridiculous "unhip" and it is funny he now will be coaching next door to Oakland whose greatest band long ago asked us that question.
JimSox
Wait. Is this for real? There's so much noise and sarcasm and facetious posts and speculation personal agendas and arguments on this board that I can't tell what to believe. Probably would have preferred AAR but as a former NBA player Madsen could have some recruiting cachet. If this report is true I'm at least a bit hopeful.
BadNewsBear1
oski003 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

If you need me to explain it further, you'll never get it.

And by the way, the fact that he played in the NBA and was popular amongst his teammates do absolutely nothing to support your argument.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, just that he sure doesn't fit the profile that 4th Gen said JK was being pressured into hiring instead of JP.
GoCal80
I could see Madsen being a good fit for Cal. He played in the NBA and was well coached there and in college with great fundamentals under Monty. Being a furd alum, he gets the culture at an academically demanding institution. I'm sure he is ambitious and will want to figure out what needs to be done to recruit well in 2023.
socaltownie
GoCal80 said:

I could see Madsen being a good fit for Cal. He played in the NBA and was well coached there and in college with great fundamentals under Monty. Being a furd alum, he gets the culture at an academically demanding institution. I'm sure he is ambitious and will want to figure out what needs to be done to recruit well in 2023.

Furd and cal are very different. The first step toward fan recovery is getting that.
OdontoBear66
BadNewsBear1 said:

How is he non-AA? Because he isn't black? Sure seems like he related to his fellow NBA players well. And he also sounds like a different "sort" of NBA player from Shaq's interview. I haven't even looked yet at the UV roster. Are they not AA? Could that be why he is non-AA....This type thinking becomes very tiring if not trying.

So we don't want MM because he is a white Mormon? What is the thinking here? And please notice that these are all questions, not statements of your opinion. But, what I concur is not good.

How about the best coach no matter the race, religion, or whatever to get is out of the doldrums?
JimSox
So this tweet quotes sources. Sources who actually know something? No way to know. A good journalist always characterizes anonymous sources. Sources close to Cal? Close to Madsen? Close to nobody? Doesn't say. Also, there was this previous noise that AAR was not a serious candidate. So it could be speculation, since Johnson and Madsen are the only other supposed leading candidates left and nobody much supports Johnson.
Waiting for confirmation.
BadNewsBear1
OdontoBear66 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

How is he non-AA? Because he isn't black? Sure seems like he related to his fellow NBA players well. And he also sounds like a different "sort" of NBA player from Shaq's interview. I haven't even looked yet at the UV roster. Are they not AA? Could that be why he is non-AA....This type thinking becomes very tiring if not trying.

So we don't want MM because he is a white Mormon? What is the thinking here? And please notice that these are all questions, not statements of your opinion. But, what I concur is not good.

How about the best coach no matter the race, religion, or whatever to get is out of the doldrums?
Where did I say we didn't want him for ANY REASON?!?!?!

Simply pointing out that an insider on this board said JK was feeling the pressure to hire an AA coach, and apparently that isn't really the case if this is true.
CAL4LIFE
Madsen would be quite the inspiring hire.

Econ141
Goodnight cal basketball - this is an institutional failure at the highest levels dogsh*t hire. He will fail in years 1-5 before getting an extension.
calumnus
OdontoBear66 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

Deputized Shaq of Fox and Friends, NRA member who denounced Kaepernick is not a great reference on that account. It is like Mark Fox bringing in Charles Barkley as "a black man" to talk to the team about George Floyd (at least Charles is more interesting). With Karl Malone you'd have the three black Republican former NBA All-Stars. Not very representative of the league as a whole.

However, Madsen is very outspoken and progressive in race relations, moreso than Pasternack even. Not sure how closely he follows his faith as the LDS church still has some explicitly racist policies and beliefs, though only negatively against blacks. The area where he could run afoul in Berkeley is the strong stance and activism the church has taken against LGTBQ people and their rights. My sense is Madsen is a progressive guy, from Walnut Creek, went to Stanford, played in the NBA and ignores church teachings while nominally identifying as LDS (especially as the coach of Utah Valley).

My biggest issue with him is he is as Furd as it gets. I don't like that Monty is bringing in his guys (and his son). Monty should not have this much influence at Cal. Madsen is a good coach and a good guy but not the only good coach and good guy, not by any objective standard. Moreover, he is a better fit fit other jobs.

I want Cal basketball alums like Kidd, Marks, Buckley and Shareef to be the influencers. Braun if you want a veteran coach that loves and knows how to sell Berkeley.

oski003
Econ141 said:

Goodnight cal basketball - this is an institutional failure at the highest levels dogsh*t hire. He will fail in years 1-5 before getting an extension.

Why? He played in the NBA and is leading a team from nowhere into success. Sounds like a good choice, even if it wasn't my first.
bearsandgiants
Does he even have a blue tie?
Bobodeluxe
bearsandgiants said:

Does he even have a blue tie?
Finally, someone asks the pertinent question. LAUNDRY, ladies and gentlemen.
Anarchistbear
If he hires Casey Jacobson as an assistant, an insurrection is warranted.
Bobodeluxe
Anarchistbear said:

If he hires Casey Jacobson as an assistant, an insurrection is warranted.
How about Conzo?
calumnus
oski003 said:

Econ141 said:

Why? He played in the NBA and is leading a team from nowhere into success. Sounds like a good choice, even if it wasn't my first.

He was an amazing choice for Utah Valley. He is LDS as is the majority of the team and fanbase. He is ex-NBA and could bring in a few overlooked players from around the country and overseas. He is a good Xs and Os coach, from the Monty school and could coach them up to edge mighty Sam Houston in the WAC (below the Ivy in strength but above the WCC). He would be a good choice for Utah, BYU or Stanford.

We need to make a huge splash in the transfer portal and NIL. With Pasternack we had connections to big money boosters. With Amir we have connections to big money and famous basketball alums. Madsen is a good choice for another school in another era.

For what is worth, I think the same about Troy Taylor at Stanford. Good coach at the wrong school and that will limit his success.
Pittstop
I would venture that "the majority of his team" is not LDS since I counted at least nine (possibly ten) black players in the team's after-practice photo posted on Madsen's Instagram page. And there are only 15 roster spots on a college bb team, right?
Anarchistbear
He's got guys from Chicago, Spain, Texas, Senegal, Brazil, Virginia, California so he's got connections in a lot of places. If he can recruit he may be a step up from Monty. Question is whether we can do better at elite California schools. I'm opening up a little to this hire from initial *** to half open mind, given he can also play the NBA card even as one of the worst players in the league. At least he's not a loser on the way down.
calumnus
Pittstop said:

I would venture that "the majority of his team" is not LDS since I counted at least nine (possibly ten) black players in the team's after-practice photo posted on Madsen's Instagram page. And there are only 15 roster spots on a college bb team, right?

Ok, majority when he started but not now. My point being he is a unicorn in Utah, he played up being LDS while being able to recruit nationally and internationally. He got the UVU job when Mark Pope took the BYU job.

Here is a recent article:

https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2023/3/7/23628985/mark-madsen-utah-valley-university-college-basketball-family

"During such experiences, Madsen and his wife have been grateful for their faith and testimonies of the gospel. The couple has a goal to study the scriptures together every day, even if it's only a few verses.

"It's incredibly important," said Madsen, who served as a full-time missionary in Spain. "We love our ward and have an unbelievable ward community. I love being a member of the Church."

Again, that combination of LDS NBA alum makes him a unicorn in Utah. Able to recruit the nation and the world. It is just not as good a fit in Berkeley. He is a good coach and a good person, but I just don't see him as a good fit in Berkeley, starting with his being a Furd.
BearlyCareAnymore
OdontoBear66 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

I would say that yes, not being Black makes him non-AA. That is pretty much the definition that if you are not Black you are not African American. Maybe you are confusing "non" with "anti"
oski003
BearlyCareAnymore said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

I would say that yes, not being Black makes him non-AA. That is pretty much the definition that if you are not Black you are not African American. Maybe you are confusing "non" with "anti"

The original comment was that he was "as non-AA as they come."
dimitrig

Mark Madsen coaches story

https://nbacoaches.com/mark-madsen-los-angeles-lakers-assistant-mad-dog-on-the-court-but-far-from-it-off-of-it/

BearlyCareAnymore
oski003 said:

BearlyCareAnymore said:

OdontoBear66 said:

BadNewsBear1 said:

The original comment was that he was "as non-AA as they come."
And he is. I don't understand. The comment was driven by the fact that others had said there was pressure to hire an African American. He is literally as non-AA as they come. As am I, by the way. I think you guys have the Woke-o-meter dialed too high.
HKBear97!
calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

Ok, majority when he started but not now. My point being he is a unicorn in Utah, he played up being LDS while being able to recruit nationally and internationally. He got the UVU job when Mark Pope took the BYU job.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2023/3/7/23628985/mark-madsen-utah-valley-university-college-basketball-family

"During such experiences, Madsen and his wife have been grateful for their faith and testimonies of the gospel. The couple has a goal to study the scriptures together every day, even if it's only a few verses.

"It's incredibly important," said Madsen, who served as a full-time missionary in Spain. "We love our ward and have an unbelievable ward community. I love being a member of the Church."

Again, that combination of LDS NBA alum makes him a unicorn in Utah. Able to recruit the nation and the world. It is just not as good a fit in Berkeley. He is a good coach and a good person, but I just don't see him as a good fit in Berkeley, starting with his being a Furd.

Seems like lots of assumptions being made based on his religion and skin color. Who knows how he will recruit, but from various articles it sounds like he puts in the work. And it doesn't seem like the top scorer, rebounder and assist leader for UVU are LDS, but I could be wrong. At the end of the day, it appears he is a man of faith and that seems like an important attribute for many of today's athletes.

Personally not thrilled with the hire, but I am interested to see how he'll do. He played nine years in the NBA with players like Kobe and Shaq, won two rings and was a head coach in the D-League. Those things alone should at least get him in the door for many recruits. While he went to Stanford, maybe making the Final Four at an elite academic institution resonates with some as well. What all that translates to at Cal remains to be seen, but dismissing him based on LDS/white seems simplistic.
Bobodeluxe
"simplistic"?

Many other adjectives could be substituted here.
wraptor347
calumnus
HKBear97! said:

calumnus said:

Pittstop said:

Seems like lots of assumptions being made based on his religion and skin color. Who knows how he will recruit, but from various articles it sounds like he puts in the work. And it doesn't seem like the top scorer, rebounder and assist leader for UVU are LDS, but I could be wrong. At the end of the day, it appears he is a man of faith and that seems like an important attribute for many of today's athletes.

Personally not thrilled with the hire, but I am interested to see how he'll do. He played nine years in the NBA with players like Kobe and Shaq, won two rings and was a head coach in the D-League. Those things alone should at least get him in the door for many recruits. While he went to Stanford, maybe making the Final Four at an elite academic institution resonates with some as well. What all that translates to at Cal remains to be seen, but dismissing him based on LDS/white seems simplistic.

I'm not dismissing him. He is a good coach. I am just saying he is a tremendous fit for a Utah school and his record reflects that. Much will not translate to Cal. The argument for Pasternack's success at UCSB translating to Cal was better.

It is about maximizing strategic advantages. His religious faith, big family and Stanfordness are assets most places, but much less so at Cal. Even potential liabilities with the students given the LDS activism in anti-LGTBQ matters. Being such a vocal Stanford guy is a negative for our fan base, more than at ANY other school. The bottom line is he will be less successful at Cal than he would be elsewhere. Similarly, there are other candidates that can better help Cal realize our potential, make use of our strategic advantages. Good coach, just not a great fit for each other. I feel similarly about Troy Taylor at Stanford. He will not be as successful as he would have been elsewhere (including Cal).

And recruiting is more than just "working hard." Every coach in the country went hard after Shareef and Jaylen Brown.

If Madsen energizes the big donors to develop an effective NIL program, great.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.