I haven't seen reporting on why AAR was eliminated

4,844 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
socaltownie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Lots of Monty deep sixing Joe P because of NikeGate/Arizona recruiting.

Does anyoe know why JK/Monty didn't like AAR? Feels like he had STRONG backing from a bunch of our recent grads.
BC Calfan
Yeah, I find it surprising that there is no reporting about AAR at all. No re-upping with Kennesaw. No reports of him interviewing elsewhere. Kind of odd for such a hot commodity.
socaltownie
I will suddenly believe that JK is playing three dimensional chess if the delay isn't due to the NIT/Birth of Daughter but because he was waiting for an off day so that Brown could be at the presser ;-)
Econ141
socaltownie said:

Does anyoe know why JK/Monty didn't like AAR? Feels like he had STRONG backing from a bunch of our recent grads.

Mike Montgomery just "had a feeling" about Mark Madsen. This was a biased hire - Cal of all places should be all over DEI and steering away from even the perception of conflict of interest.

We are out potentially millions in NIL because of this dinosaur that couldn't get us to where Braun took us.
Big C

Yes, why MM over AAR (or even Stan Johnson, for that matter)? The three of those guys all had fairly similar resumes, IMO.

Obviously, Knowlton will never tell...
Pittstop
Since when do programs (ANY program) report on why candidates who WEREN'T hired didn't get the job? Posters and writers "speculate", but they don't know either. They tell us what they THINK, or "feel", or "believe". And that's about it.
rfmason44
Think it's pretty obvious- JP and AAR had significant donor support and Knowlton wanted to show he was the boss.
Big C
Pittstop said:

Since when do programs (ANY program) report on why candidates who WEREN'T hired didn't get the job? Posters and writers "speculate", but they don't know either. They tell us what they THINK, or "feel", or "believe". And that's about it.

Since never. But we can still be curious! I know I am.
GoCal80
Generally, there is much confidentiality around personnel situations. With hiring of college coaches, the emphasis of the athletic department is generally on playing up the person who was hired, not on justifying why that person rose above others. Sports fans generally take a very strong interest in hiring of coaches, but still generally aren't privy to what actually drove a decision and are left with speculation and rumors. It seems that this time around at Cal the hiring process is attracting especially intense scrutiny since the last hire was so bafflingly bad. We should keep in mind that Cal hasn't yet hired a coach.
Bobodeluxe
Steve Kerr is still coaching his team
BearGoggles
Why does everyone assume AAR wanted or still wants the job? Working for Knowlton seems like a real career risk (for Madsen too).
ManBearLion123
tbh, there are A LOT of question marks around AAR.

Kennesaw's season was a great story but that was his first winning season as a HC (in a very bad conference).

He also has minimal West Coast ties and, though he seems charismatic from what I've seen, he feels more like a slow, long term team builder than a guy who can turn things around in a couple seasons through elite recruiting.

If his last name wasn't Abdur-Rahim, he probably wouldn't even be considered.
Alkiadt
ManBearLion123 said:

tbh, there are A LOT of question marks around AAR.

Kennesaw's season was a great story but that was his first winning season as a HC (in a very bad conference).

He also has minimal West Coast ties and, though he seems charismatic from what I've seen, he feels more like a slow, long term team builder than a guy who can turn things around in a couple seasons through elite recruiting.

If his last name wasn't Abdur-Rahim, he probably wouldn't even be considered.

Agree.
Perhaps he saw the job as one he didn't need to take at this point in his career. Being from the southeast, lack of familiarity with west coast hoops, .. maybe he's looking for an ACC or SEC job in a year or two.
Nobody knows but it will be interesting to follow his trajectory.
BC Calfan
And there it is...

Oakbear
socaltownie said:

who says he didn't like him

I had a feeling that AAR might be a sleeper hire so would have liked to see him hired, but am OK with MM as he could be very good ..

when I used to be hiring, often I would have several good candidates and just had to pick one... I think this could be one of those situation , JP/AAR good, just not the ones picked
HearstMining
rfmason44 said:

Think it's pretty obvious- JP and AAR had significant donor support and Knowlton wanted to show he was the boss.
I saw "big donor support" connected to JP, but I only saw "Shareef and Jaylen endorse" attached to AAR. Did AAR have a group of donors backing him?
KoreAmBear
BC Calfan said:

And there it is...

Looks like we could have had him if we wanted. I guess he "didn't interview well" over Teams. Knowlton is such an azz.
concernedparent
Big C said:

Yes, why MM over AAR (or even Stan Johnson, for that matter)? The three of those guys all had fairly similar resumes, IMO.

No way. MM and AAR are a step above Stan Johnson, who has 0 tourny appearances (neither does Madsen, but at least a deep run in NIT), a losing record in conference, and never finished higher than 3rd (once, at 7-5). Madsen's star is rising, Stan is flatlining.
mbBear
Big C said:

That's really ignoring Madsen's years in the league (I call that graduate school) and then his years as an assistant in the league.
The other guys may have had more years on the recruiting trail, but Madsen has been around a lot more great minds of basketball X and O's....

Let's get real here: AAR was considered as a courtesy to his brother and Jaylen Brown, maybe a couple of others. In what other universe is Cal considering a coach from a small D-1 school and conference east of the Mississippi?
I'm not starting (or extending) the argument that he would have worked out great, that he has a great ceiling etc...but he had zero ties to the West Coast recruiting scene.....
Big C
mbBear said:

Big C said:

That's really ignoring Madsen's years in the league (I call that graduate school) and then his years as an assistant in the league.
The other guys may have had more years on the recruiting trail, but Madsen has been around a lot more great minds of basketball X and O's....

Let's get real here: AAR was considered as a courtesy to his brother and Jaylen Brown, maybe a couple of others. In what other universe is Cal considering a coach from a small D-1 school and conference east of the Mississippi?
I'm not starting (or extending) the argument that he would have worked out great, that he has a great ceiling etc...but he had zero ties to the West Coast recruiting scene.....

Believe me, I have leaped onto the Mad Dog Train today! Let's go!!!

(still fair to discuss Knowlton and his hiring process... two separate issues)
calfanz
jump on the #MadDogTrain one way ticket from HoopsHell
NVBear78
My impression was that AAR didn't want to go to Cal and preferred to stay in the SouthEast.
calumnus
KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

And there it is...

Looks like we could have had him if we wanted. I guess he "didn't interview well" over Teams. Knowlton is such an azz.

I think we will regret Knowlton rejecting Gates and now Abdur-Rahim.

Madsen is a huge upgrade from Fox, I like him, but my gut says Knowlton found his Wilcox for basketball. Hope I am wrong and he kills it.
Big Dog
mbBear said:

Big C said:

uh, Ben Braun comes to mind (unless you think Eastern Michigan to be a big D-1 school).

But wrt to AAR, if I'm him, I strongly consider the lack of a qualified AD, and with my SE-only connections, consider other opportunities.
ncbears
Big Dog said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

uh, Ben Braun comes to mind (unless you think Eastern Michigan to be a big D-1 school).

But wrt to AAR, if I'm him, I strongly consider the lack of a qualified AD, and with my SE-only connections, consider other opportunities.

And Campanelli came from James Madison. Kuchen came from Notre Dame.
upsetof86
You couldn't come up with more different candidates. JP, AAR, MM, RB, SJ. What does that say about the market place or our process or maybe nothing.
Civil Bear
Big Dog said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

Yeah, but BB was coming off a fresh Duke victory on the way to the Sweet 16. He had Coach K and Bob Huggins thinking he was some kind of offensive mastermind.
southseasbear
Civil Bear said:

Big Dog said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

Yeah, but BB was coming off a fresh Duke victory on the way to the Sweet 16. He had Coach K and Bob Huggins thinking he was some kind of offensive mastermind.
Braun inherited a team with talent. What we needed was someone who coach them up and he seemed to fit the bill. In retrospect, he was a good fit at the time. Now we need someone who can hit the ground and recruit immediately. We have 2-3 legitimate Pac-12 players. that's it. We have hit an unprecedented low, with a program on life support. We need a coach who can do it all: recruit talent, fundraise, and coach talent.
Fire Knowlton!
Fire Fox!
Put Wilcox in a hot seat!
Alkiadt
KoreAmBear said:

BC Calfan said:

And there it is...

We don't know anything.
He may have even withdrew from the process for all we know.
Regardless, I'm impressed with the public responses Madsen is getting from some pretty high profile NBA people that know him. Lots of very strong endorsements.

As I've said before only time will tell.
mbBear
Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

From first reports, I thought Knowlton was handling JP poorly, without respect, and basically blew the opportunity. IF in fact someone got in his ear about "ethical" concerns regarding JP, then it makes a little more sense that he never felt comfortable making an offer.
Not to say that I agree with Knowlton's decision at all...and the process could still be flawed if a couple of people had way too much input...and honestly, I don't need a patron saint as a head coach. But you are right, let's go!!!! (we have a long ways to go.....)
Bobodeluxe
mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

From first reports, I thought Knowlton was handling JP poorly, without respect, and basically blew the opportunity. IF in fact someone got in his ear about "ethical" concerns regarding JP, then it makes a little more sense that he never felt comfortable making an offer.
Not to say that I agree with Knowlton's decision at all...and the process could still be flawed if a couple of people had way too much input...and honestly, I don't need a patron saint as a head coach. But you are right, let's go!!!! (we have a long ways to go.....)
Pete Carroll strongly agrees.
Civil Bear
mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

The people that recommended Madsen had way too much input and those that recommended someone else got dissed. It's a story as old as time.
mbBear
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

The people that recommended Madsen had way too much input and those that recommended someone else got dissed. It's a story as old as time.
All that we can hope for is the wrong people being right then...or right for the wrong reasons perhaps?
Civil Bear
mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

All that we can hope for is the wrong people being right then...or right for the wrong reasons perhaps?
Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Although I'm not sure Monty would be considered as a wrong person. He is probably one of the most qualified to know what kind of person will be needed to succeed at Cal.
mbBear
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Although I'm not sure Monty would be considered as a wrong person. He is probably one of the most qualified to know what kind of person will be needed to succeed at Cal.
So, he isn't one of the ones who had too much input???
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.