I haven't seen reporting on why AAR was eliminated

4,889 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by annarborbear
Civil Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

Yes, why MM over AAR (or even Stan Johnson, for that matter)? The three of those guys all had fairly similar resumes, IMO.

Obviously, Knowlton will never tell...
That's really ignoring Madsen's years in the league (I call that graduate school) and then his years as an assistant in the league.
The other guys may have had more years on the recruiting trail, but Madsen has been around a lot more great minds of basketball X and O's....

Let's get real here: AAR was considered as a courtesy to his brother and Jaylen Brown, maybe a couple of others. In what other universe is Cal considering a coach from a small D-1 school and conference east of the Mississippi?
I'm not starting (or extending) the argument that he would have worked out great, that he has a great ceiling etc...but he had zero ties to the West Coast recruiting scene.....

Believe me, I have leaped onto the Mad Dog Train today! Let's go!!!

(still fair to discuss Knowlton and his hiring process... two separate issues)
From first reports, I thought Knowlton was handling JP poorly, without respect, and basically blew the opportunity. IF in fact someone got in his ear about "ethical" concerns regarding JP, then it makes a little more sense that he never felt comfortable making an offer.
Not to say that I agree with Knowlton's decision at all...and the process could still be flawed if a couple of people had way too much input...and honestly, I don't need a patron saint as a head coach. But you are right, let's go!!!! (we have a long ways to go.....)
The people that recommended Madsen had way too much input and those that recommended someone else got dissed. It's a story as old as time.
All that we can hope for is the wrong people being right then...or right for the wrong reasons perhaps?
Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Although I'm not sure Monty would be considered as a wrong person. He is probably one of the most qualified to know what kind of person will be needed to succeed at Cal.
So, he isn't one of the ones who had too much input???
Sorry for the confusion. My initial post was supposed to be sarcastic in that those that didn't get their choice are often going to say those that did have way too much input.
HoopDreams
Amir got the job at USF (florida). he will be successful there, but he could have been a game changer at Cal

But Madsen was also a good choice and I've got behind him.

At least we didn't hire Bennett who I think would be horrible hire for Cal, and amazingly was the first offer

Bennett and Madsen have Monty's finger prints all over them. Hope Monty Jr doesn't show up back at Cal

good luck to Amir!
good luck to Madsen!
bluesaxe
HoopDreams said:

Amir got the job at USF (florida). he will be successful there, but he could have been a game changer at Cal

But Madsen was also a good choice and I've got behind him.

At least we didn't hire Bennett who I think would be horrible hire for Cal, and amazingly was the first offer

Bennett and Madsen have Monty's finger prints all over them. Hope Monty Jr doesn't show up back at Cal

good luck to Amir!
good luck to Madsen!
Same here, and I'm so glad we didn't hire Bennett. We need someone young and driven right now.
calfanz
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

Yes, why MM over AAR (or even Stan Johnson, for that matter)? The three of those guys all had fairly similar resumes, IMO.

That's really ignoring Madsen's years in the league (I call that graduate school) and then his years as an assistant in the league.
The other guys may have had more years on the recruiting trail, but Madsen has been around a lot more great minds of basketball X and O's....

Let's get real here: AAR was considered as a courtesy to his brother and Jaylen Brown, maybe a couple of others. In what other universe is Cal considering a coach from a small D-1 school and conference east of the Mississippi?
I'm not starting (or extending) the argument that he would have worked out great, that he has a great ceiling etc...but he had zero ties to the West Coast recruiting scene.....

From first reports, I thought Knowlton was handling JP poorly, without respect, and basically blew the opportunity. IF in fact someone got in his ear about "ethical" concerns regarding JP, then it makes a little more sense that he never felt comfortable making an offer.
Not to say that I agree with Knowlton's decision at all...and the process could still be flawed if a couple of people had way too much input...and honestly, I don't need a patron saint as a head coach. But you are right, let's go!!!! (we have a long ways to go.....)
The people that recommended Madsen had way too much input and those that recommended someone else got dissed. It's a story as old as time.
Impressive. Sounds like you were on the inside!
oski003
calfanz said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

I blame Buh.
Bobodeluxe
oski003 said:

calfanz said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

I blame Buh.
Richard_Lee
mbBear said:

I guess no likes Jay John.
Bobodeluxe
Richard_Lee said:

mbBear said:

I guess no likes Jay John.

He Lives!
calumnus
Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Civil Bear said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

mbBear said:

Big C said:

All that we can hope for is the wrong people being right then...or right for the wrong reasons perhaps?
Sure, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Although I'm not sure Monty would be considered as a wrong person. He is probably one of the most qualified to know what kind of person will be needed to succeed at Cal.

From what I heard this was a Knowlton decision. I don't think Madsen would be Monty's first choice for Cal and just as importantly I don't think Cal would be Monty's first choice for Madsen. I think Monty is a little worried for Madsen. The good thing is he will help, though Braun is probably the better mentor for navigating Cal.

I have no doubt Monty gave Madsen a strong endorsement over the other finalists , but this was again Knowlton picking the guy he felt most comfortable with.

My hope is he is our Ted Lasso.
wifeisafurd
we don't really know the process. Best we have is Bear Greg's article.

More often than not, most AD's don't discuss their process or other candidates, and what you hear is rumors.
calumnus
wifeisafurd said:

More often than not, most AD's don't discuss their process or other candidates, and what you hear is rumors.

What I was told was not a rumor. However, my conclusion that Montgomery did not drive the decision but when asked, said "great" things about Madsen, sure that is just my speculation, but it is not rumor unless others spread it as fact. I am convinced it was 100% Knowlton's decision, though influenced by VERY positive (especially from Knowlton's POV) statements about Madsen as a completely guileless person and good coach. However, that is very different than saying Madsen is "the best person for the Cal job" and just as importantly, telling Madsen the Cal job is the best job for Madsen. Because Monty is an advisor to both.

I think this article is the basic idea:
https://www.si.com/college/cal/.amp/basketball/who-is-mark-madsen

Monty thinks Madsen is a very "unique" individual (who is VERY different than himself, Madsen is relentlessly positive, Monty is the opposite) who can be successful if Cal changes and if Cal supports him, then he "can take it from there." I don't think he thinks Madsen can drive that change. Others might have been better for that. I think he is actually a little worried, he is tempering expectations and he is urging us to support him.
HoopDreams
thanks for posting. agree

Monty is talking about Madsen for Cal, but interesting he says "we"

We does not mean Cal

"He's been around a lot of good situations with playing at Stanford and what we did,"

Seems like Monty is acting like the Co-AD given that he has so much influence on the decisions

calumnus said:

wifeisafurd said:

What I was told was not a rumor. It is what Montgomery said. Hearing it from me, sure, you can consider that a rumor.

I think this article is the basic idea:
https://www.si.com/college/cal/.amp/basketball/who-is-mark-madsen

annarborbear
I knew nothing about Madsen's coaching ability until I watched the NIT game against UAB. That was a great performance as well as great entertainment. If he can recruit, it is going to sell tickets.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.