Story Poster
Photo by Cal Athletics
Cal Basketball

Mark Madsen Press Conference To Air On Pac-12 Networks

March 31, 2023

BERKELEY – Mark Madsen’s introductory press conference as California’s new men’s basketball coach will air on the Pac-12 Networks and be streamed on CalBears.com on Monday at 1 p.m. PT.

Cal Director of Athletics Jim Knowlton and Chancellor Carol T. Christ will introduce Madsen, who was named the 19th head coach in Golden Bear men’s basketball history on Wednesday. Roxy Bernstein, a 1996 Cal alumnus and play-by-play commentator for ESPN and the Pac-12 Networks, will serve as MC of the event and participate in a Q&A session with Madsen. Following the introductions and the Q&A session, Madsen and Knowlton will conduct a formal press conference with attending media members.

http://instagr.am/p/CqdmZOhpoPj

The introductions and press conference will also be available via the Pac-12 Now app and Pac-12.com.

Related:

The Genuine Excitement for Mark Madsen and What He'll Need to Win at Cal

Mark Madsen Named Cal Men's Basketball Head Coach

Discussion from...

Mark Madsen Press Conference To Air On Pac-12 Networks

8,989 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by philbert
stu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will this be open to the public?
edwinbear
Lol Shaq is awesome
JB was a Chieftain
Can we add firing Knowlton to the press conference agenda? By only holding 1 press conference, Cal will save a little bit money!
oskidunker
JB was a Chieftain said:

Can we add firing Knowlton to the press conference agenda? By only holding 1 press conference, Cal will save a little bit money!

Give it up. Let's be positive. Repeating this over and over is not interesting or helpful in any way.
Go Bears!
graguna
JB was a Chieftain said:

i usually pick the moment of my staffs greatest achievement to fire them. No, I don't, that would be weird
Pittstop
This is a rather high profile introductory press conference for a new HC hire, isn't it? I mean, Pac-12 Network, ESPN/Pac-12 MC, Televised question and answer session with Bernstein, followed by a [televised] press conference? Typically aren't new HC introductory press conferences kind of confined to a rather low-key introduction to the local press who generally cover the team, along with the AD and chancellor, and some questions from the reporters and mods who are typically at a coach's post-game press availabilities? This seems like a lot of free, high profile recruiting pub.
graguna
Pittstop said:

This is a rather high profile introductory press conference for a new HC hire, isn't it? I mean, Pac-12 Network, ESPN/Pac-12 MC, Televised question and answer session with Bernstein, followed by a [televised] press conference? Typically aren't new HC introductory press conferences kind of confined to a rather low-key introduction to the local press who generally cover the team, along with the AD and chancellor, a some questions from the reporters and mods who are typically at a coach's post-game press availabilities? This seems like a lot of free, high profile recruiting pub.
Yes it does. Hiring Madsen has created a buzz that none of the other hires would have.
CAL is instantly relevant again. Not saying CAL will be an instant winner ( although I wouldn't rule it out ) but relevant.
Cal Strong!
Apart from being a furd, Mark Madsen is a very strong hire. But Cal Strong would like to see him do some serious public penance for his former affiliation with stanfurd. At a bare minimum, Kevin Johnson should supervise him running stadium steps until he pukes and he should be forced to do bear crawls back and forth at least 20 times on the floor of Haas kissing Oski's feet each time he makes it back to the baseline.

Seriously Moraga and others -- please ask about this at his introductory press conference. At worst, you will get a big laugh. And you can blame the question on Cal Strong. At best, we might actually get to see him do it -- which would be a strong video for recruiting and raising NIL funds.

dimitrig
Pittstop said:

This is a rather high profile introductory press conference for a new HC hire, isn't it? I mean, Pac-12 Network, ESPN/Pac-12 MC, Televised question and answer session with Bernstein, followed by a [televised] press conference? Typically aren't new HC introductory press conferences kind of confined to a rather low-key introduction to the local press who generally cover the team, along with the AD and chancellor, and some questions from the reporters and mods who are typically at a coach's post-game press availabilities? This seems like a lot of free, high profile recruiting pub.

Yes, lots of positive buzz. I am thinking some recruits who didn't consider Cal a month ago may be adding us to the list. Hopefully, Madsen snags a couple of good ones.
HoopDreams
[url=https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqgTElmjUia/][/url]

calumnus
graguna said:

Pittstop said:

This is a rather high profile introductory press conference for a new HC hire, isn't it? I mean, Pac-12 Network, ESPN/Pac-12 MC, Televised question and answer session with Bernstein, followed by a [televised] press conference? Typically aren't new HC introductory press conferences kind of confined to a rather low-key introduction to the local press who generally cover the team, along with the AD and chancellor, a some questions from the reporters and mods who are typically at a coach's post-game press availabilities? This seems like a lot of free, high profile recruiting pub.
Yes it does. Hiring Madsen has created a buzz that none of the other hires would have.
CAL is instantly relevant again. Not saying CAL will be an instant winner ( although I wouldn't rule it out ) but relevant.

Not trying to kill your buzz, but introductory press conference on PAC-12 networks is the norm. Here is the same announcement for Fox four years ago:

https://pac-12.com/article/2019/03/31/live-coverage-monday-morning-10am-pt-california-introductory-press-conference
BearGreg
Staff
stu said:

It is not open to the public. Invite only.
Cal Strong!
BearGreg said:

stu said:

He is a religious guy and also a fun-loving goofy athlete. So Cal Strong think he would be open to Cal Strong's penance plan. Please ask him, BearGreg.

If he get mad (strongly unlikely), you can blame the question on Cal Strong.
calumnus
Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

stu said:

He is a religious guy and also a fun-loving goofy athlete. So Cal Strong think he would be open to Cal Strong's penance plan. Please ask him, BearGreg.

No one cares anymore. 3-29 has left the fan base traumatized.
BearGreg
Staff
Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

stu said:

I would never do that to you. Only you can ask a question that strong. I look forward to you posing it to him
Cal Strong!
BearGreg said:

Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

stu said:

I would never do that to you. Only you can ask a question that strong. I look forward to you posing it to him
Thanks for the strong acknowledgement BearGreg. But I am stuck in New Zealand and won't be at the press conference.

But Cal Strong would love to send you some cool Kiwi knick-knacks if you would be kind (and strong) enough to read him my question.

Cal STRONG!
stu
Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

stu said:

Thanks for the strong acknowledgement BearGreg. But I am stuck in New Zealand and won't be at the press conference.

But Cal Strong would love to send you some cool Kiwi knick-knacks if you would be kind (and strong) enough to read him my question.

Cal STRONG!
Can we trade places? I'd love to be stuck in New Zealand.
Cal Strong!
stu said:

Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

stu said:

Cal STRONG!
Any bear can come visit anytime. Cal Strong offer strong guest bedroom, strong unlimited and free wifi, strong smoothie bar, and strong use of washer and dryer. Just make sure BearGreg asks Coach Madsen the question.
Bobodeluxe
Cal Strong! said:

stu said:

Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

Cal Strong! said:

BearGreg said:

stu said:

Cal STRONG!
Any bear can come visit anytime. Cal Strong offer strong guest bedroom, strong unlimited and free wifi, strong smoothie bar, and strong use of washer and dryer. Just make sure BearGreg asks Coach Madsen the question.
Tomatoes ?
GerryLopezBear
That press conference was IMPRESSIVE!!!
Go Bears
Power of vision and positivity. Look where you are going and work hard!!!!
MafDen
Mark is the basketball version of Jim Harbaugh. Mark's excitement energy gets me and should get everyone excited about CAL basketball.
Pittstop
Extend MM! And increase the buyout!
calumnus
MafDen said:

Mark is the basketball version of Jim Harbaugh. Mark's excitement energy gets me and should get everyone excited about CAL basketball.

No. He is not Harbaugh. High energy, yes, but Harbaugh is a putz and is a screamer. Madsen is relentlessly positive.
HoopDreams
calumnus said:

MafDen said:

No. He is not Harbaugh. High energy, yes, but Harbaugh is a putz and is a screamer. Madsen is relentlessly positive.
agree. Harbaugh is not the right comparison.

GMP
calumnus said:

MafDen said:

I think the comparison works on some levels. They both bring an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. That energy is important, and Cal basketball needs it in 2003 like Stanford football needed it in 2007.
calumnus
GMP said:

calumnus said:

MafDen said:

I think the comparison works on some levels. They both bring an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. That energy is important, and Cal basketball needs it in 2003 like Stanford football needed it in 2007.

Harbaugh was winning at Stanford and the alums tired of him. He is just so abrasive. He brought back the Niners but wore out his welcome there too. A lot of people don't like Harbaugh. Everybody loves Madsen.
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

calumnus said:

MafDen said:

agree. Harbaugh is not the right comparison.

Good example.

Between the two, Madsen is much more Pete Carroll than Jim Harbaugh. But even more cheery and relentlessly positive.
eastcoastcal
If we can even get half of the proportionate success harbaugh brought to stanford, with Madsen, I'll be happy
philbert
LFG!

drizzlybear
MafDen said:

Not at all. Haurbaugh was/is a complete jerk. Madsen seems to be the exact opposite of that.

Edit: oh, I see everyone else has already made the same observation.
BeachedBear
I'm OK with this hire and am hoping to see great results in the upcoming season. I can absolutely see now, how Madsen won the interview with JK. I'm pretty sure JK is of the same vintage as BeachedBear and likely took many of the same command planning courses in the military that I did (later part of cold war). And his hiring decision is classic battle planning, looking at best case/worst case and contingency planning, if Madsen works out GREAT! If not, there are lots of ways that JK can make it look good for him as well. A lot more to unpack - but I have a clear understanding of why he made the decision to hire Madsen over Pasternack, AAR and others.

I'm not saying I would have made the same decision, but this was the best decision in JKs interest.
calumnus
BeachedBear said:

I'm OK with this hire and am hoping to see great results in the upcoming season. I can absolutely see now, how Madsen won the interview with JK. I'm pretty sure JK is of the same vintage as BeachedBear and likely took many of the same command planning courses in the military that I did (later part of cold war). And his hiring decision is classic battle planning, looking at best case/worst case and contingency planning, if Madsen works out GREAT! If not, there are lots of ways that JK can make it look good for him as well. A lot more to unpack - but I have a clear understanding of why he made the decision to hire Madsen over Pasternack, AAR and others.

I'm not saying I would have made the same decision, but this was the best decision in JKs interest.

Exactly. Madsen fits exactly what Knowlton wants, especially given his limited vision for Cal basketball.

When Monty was asked about him he undoubtedly said things like "the most honest, sincere and trusting person I have ever met. He will treat the players with respect. He will engage the fan base. He will never break the rules." Music to Knowlton's ears. Basically an even better version of Wilcox for basketball. Monty did not drive the decision. He only confirmed for Knowlton that what Knowlton, what everyone, sees in Madsen is really who Madsen really is. He is genuine.

Is Madsen the best candidate to drive Cal basketball back to national relevance in the NIL era by pushing the limits of pay to play using funds from major donors? By selling Cal as a champion of social Justice, Islamic studies, etc.? Pushing the administration to loosen admission requirements for exceptional athletes? Standing out from the crowd by being the only school in the PAC-12 with an African American coach? It doesn't matter because Knowlton is not interested in any of that. He wants a program that stays safely within the bounds of "name image and likeness" does not rock the boat and wins enough to keep everyone happy with a coach he enjoys being around.

Given Knowlton's idiocy and lack of vision and ambition for the program, given who he selected last time, we are VERY lucky we ended up with a coach as good as Madsen. Despite Knowlton's limited vision, Madsen has ambition and upside. More importantly, he is a smart, very positive coach, who will do right by our student athletes. So yes, I too am more than OK with the hire (even relieved and optimistic) and look forward to the next few years of Cal basketball.
dimitrig
calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

Exactly. Madsen fits exactly what Knowlton wants, especially given his limited vision for Cal basketball.

When Monty was asked about him he undoubtedly said things like "the most honest, sincere and trusting person I have ever met. He will treat the players with respect. He will engage the fan base. He will never break the rules." Music to Knowlton's ears. Basically an even better version of Wilcox for basketball. Monty did not drive the decision. He only confirmed for Knowlton that what Knowlton, what everyone, sees in Madsen is really who Madsen really is. He is genuine.

Is Madsen the best candidate to drive Cal basketball back to national relevance in the NIL era by pushing the limits of pay to play using funds from major donors? By selling Cal as a champion of social Justice, Islamic studies, etc.? Pushing the administration to loosen admission requirements for exceptional athletes? Standing out from the crowd by being the only school in the PAC-12 with an African American coach? It doesn't matter because Knowlton is not interested in any of that. He wants a program that stays safely within the bounds of "name image and likeness" does not rock the boat and wins enough to keep everyone happy with a coach he enjoys being around.

Given Knowlton's idiocy and lack of vision and ambition for the program, given who he selected last time, we are VERY lucky we ended up with a coach as good as Madsen. Despite Knowlton's limited vision, Madsen has ambition and upside. More importantly, he is a smart, very positive coach, who will do right by our student athletes. So yes, I too am more than OK with the hire (even relieved and optimistic) and look forward to the next few years of Cal basketball.

It's not just what a Knowlton wants. It is what Cal wants. When Knowlton is gone he will be replaced by someone with similar desires. We are never going to be like USC in terms of our tolerance for shenanigans in exchange for athletic prominence.
calumnus
dimitrig said:

calumnus said:

BeachedBear said:

It's not just what a Knowlton wants. It is what Cal wants. When Knowlton is gone he will be replaced by someone with similar desires. We are never going to be like USC in terms of our tolerance for shenanigans in exchange for athletic prominence.

Who is "Cal"?

Right now, yes, it is what Carol Christ wants. And the system generally produces chancellors similar to Carol Christ.

College athletics is going through a sea-change right now. The current Cal model espoused by Christ and Knowlton is not sustainable. We could get crushed in conference realignment. I have been saying for years we will be lucky to even have an athletics program when Christ and Knowlton are through.

Christ will reportedly retire soon. The next chancellor will likely face a dire situation. With huge athletics deficits the choice will be to go big or go home. Sure, the safe bet Is that Cal will give up. However, there is a chance Cal will realize it's potential. Moreover, the new world is largely driven by boosters, not the university (though it needs a university administration willing to cooperate or at least get out of the way). We will see.
philbert
MM overcoming the JK missteps

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.