cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,270,571 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
HoopDreams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
[SIZE=7]Is Shocky misunderstood?[/SIZE]

What I know is he is a devoted Cal fan that is doing everything he can to support this team, these coaches and Cal basketball

What he is asking us to do is simply attend more games

A sincere thank you to the Shockter

Shocky1;842427415 said:

coach martin during his post game radio interview noted that his players are on time every morning for early breakfasts, that they are on time for practices, s&c sessions & study hall too...he honestly thinks these disciplined & hard working guys are special individuals that have come together as a competitive team & he implored "bears fans" to attend future games at haas...based on these comments & a conversation earlier this week with another coach, it's clear the staff thinks more fans, more energy at home games will dramatically move the program forward in an upward trajectory from both a gameday & recruiting advantage standpoint

unless you are an air traffic controller or santa claus, can you move your busy holiday schedule around to roar at haas for a game or two?

*****#5 ranked wisconsin-monday december 22nd at 6:00 pm
*****cal state bakersfield-sunday december 28th at 7:00 pm (national top 10 2015 player caleb swanigan will be likely visiting along with ivan rabb)
*****#16 ranked washington-friday january 2nd at 7:00 pm
*****washington state-sunday january 4th at 3:00 pm

there are youth & senior tixs for under 20 bucks...if attending a game would be a financial imposition at this time (which is understandable given the economy) but you love the bears, send me a private message (unless i've already bought you tixs in the past) & i'll confidentially hook you up with tix(s) at will call

being a cal fan isn't like belonging to some exclusive club or something, the university of california-berkeley is an iconic symbol worldwide of public learning, a place for the people...that means all of us...honestly bears in the wild don't give a **** where you did or did not go to school, only the roar matters at haas

our new staff would welcome greater attendance at home games...they may not fully appreciate yet that on the west coast it's significantly more competitive to attract sell out crowds at collegiate sporting events than other parts of the country, there's literally a million more things to do in your free time in the amazing san francisco bay area than knoxville (sorry, eating at shoney don't count) including a local nba team that is killing it this season

no west coast teams are in the top 40 for ncca attendance for these reasons other than arizona at #19 (and let's face it, tucson is a dump) & san diego state at #27...there's not much to do in tucson for fun other than shuffleboard at the green valley retirement home and/or watch the border patrol arrest drug smugglers

cal was a respectable #53 in national attendance last year (there are many diehard absolutely loyal cal fans) but we can do better...i'm not a whiny azz complainer re: anything in life, i'm a ******* problem solver so i've already talked with associate athletic director in charge of basketball & football marketing ashwin puri re: a meeting in early january at which time ash will share with me the cal strategic basketball marketing gameplan that we will discuss...to his credit ash has indicated a sincere interest in fan feedback

let's do this, let's support these california golden bears (even if it means bringing an asu sun devil to haas)...let's make the potential 2015 diamonds are forever class happen in berkeley

together we attack#
HoopDreams
Shocky1
herb sendek's days at asu are almost over (which is a shame because he's a good guy) after tonite's brutal 5th loss of the season in triple overtime 84-81 to the mediocre lehigh mountain hawks (5-5) at home

sun devils recruits should note that any offers from herbie are almost null & void at this point

sorry

HoopDreams
[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]my vote for best Pac 12 dunk of the week[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842426608 said:

what sophisticated defenses are opponents scheming to limit the damage of the arguably #1 player in the nation?

yeah, it's called doubling & triple teaming with an occasional 4th guy helping out too...ivan's gonna be wearing goggles before this season is over with all the flashing hands in his face

at the iolani classic in hawaii, bishop o'dowd head coach lou richie did the right thing in barely playing his starters at ivan scored 7 points in the dragons 74-21 fireballing of the mid pacific institute in the 1st game...in the 2nd round game rabb scored 11 points with 12 boards as the dragons jousted the lexington catholic knights 57-49

not that it matters but its currently 29% in lexington right now

247 sports is now predicting ivan rabb will be signing with diamond head community college & it's rumored that tami rabb is gonna be opening a southern soul asian fusion caf near waialae country club that serves tasty grits with sashimi

aloha ivan

[URL] [/URL]

ivan scored 22 points with 16 boards as bishop o'dowd won their 3rd round game with a 60-52 jousting of the orange lutheran lancers...j cole dnp for the dragons
Shocky1
Shocky1;842395207 said:

balling out with the team at haas

brandon, if the nba doesn't mint you, then you're gonna have to utilize your educational opportunities to achieve your dreams in life & build a better life for you & your family (mom matters)...a lsu education is gonna best prepare you for being the night shift supervisor at the chicken shack on the north acadian thruway, right?...so click the link below & research the academic reputations of cal & lsu, ok?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

even your guy huf (an ivy league grad) has a career backup plan, he's the lead singer for future islands

don't be a dumb azz#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (and #3 ranked overall) university in the world

brandon sampson played energized d, facilitated his teammates & scored an unselfish 12 points including a couple of 3 pointers in leading a balanced attack as the madison prep chargers (12-2) zapped the northside vikings 66-51

diamonds are forever#
petalumabear
Shocky1;842427415 said:

coach martin during his post game radio interview noted that his players are on time every morning for early breakfasts, that they are on time for practices, s&c sessions & study hall too...he honestly thinks these disciplined & hard working guys are special individuals that have come together as a competitive team & he implored "bears fans" to attend future games at haas...based on these comments & a conversation earlier this week with another coach, it's clear the staff thinks more fans, more energy at home games will dramatically move the program forward in an upward trajectory from both a gameday & recruiting advantage standpoint

unless you are an air traffic controller or santa claus, can you move your busy holiday schedule around to roar at haas for a game or two?

*****#5 ranked wisconsin-monday december 22nd at 6:00 pm
*****cal state bakersfield-sunday december 28th at 7:00 pm (national top 10 2015 player caleb swanigan will be likely visiting along with ivan rabb)
*****#16 ranked washington-friday january 2nd at 7:00 pm
*****washington state-sunday january 4th at 3:00 pm

there are youth & senior tixs for under 20 bucks...if attending a game would be a financial imposition at this time (which is understandable given the economy) but you love the bears, send me a private message (unless i've already bought you tixs in the past) & i'll confidentially hook you up with tix(s) at will call

being a cal fan isn't like belonging to some exclusive club or something, the university of california-berkeley is an iconic symbol worldwide of public learning, a place for the people...that means all of us...honestly bears in the wild don't give a **** where you did or did not go to school, only the roar matters at haas

our new staff would welcome greater attendance at home games...they may not fully appreciate yet that on the west coast it's significantly more competitive to attract sell out crowds at collegiate sporting events than other parts of the country, there's literally a million more things to do in your free time in the amazing san francisco bay area than knoxville (sorry, eating at shoney don't count) including a local nba team that is killing it this season

no west coast teams are in the top 40 for ncca attendance for these reasons other than arizona at #19 (and let's face it, tucson is a dump) & san diego state at #27...there's not much to do in tucson for fun other than shuffleboard at the green valley retirement home and/or watch the border patrol arrest drug smugglers

cal was a respectable #53 in national attendance last year (there are many diehard absolutely loyal cal fans) but we can do better...i'm not a whiny azz complainer re: anything in life, i'm a ******* problem solver so i've already talked with associate athletic director in charge of basketball & football marketing ashwin puri re: a meeting in early january at which time ash will share with me the cal strategic basketball marketing gameplan that we will discuss...to his credit ash has indicated a sincere interest in fan feedback

let's do this, let's support these california golden bears (even if it means bringing an asu sun devil to haas)...let's make the potential 2015 diamonds are forever class happen in berkeley

together we attack#

Great Post Shocky. I appreciate your passion for Cal sports - especially Hoops. I haven't been to a game yet this year, as a family illness has kept me away and my wingman hangs in Eugene (a nice town actually - try Beppe & Gianna's for solid Italian next time you roll through) these days. I will be @ the UCLA game and will get down to some others for sure. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

PB
Shocky1

2 key recruiting targets for the oscar frayer led cal's howlin' at the moon class (2016) battled as ben kone scored 17 points & carlos johnson scored 11 points as the mitty archbishop monarchs (5-0) ruled over the el cerrito gauchos (5-1) in the battle of the unbeaten

in carlos we trust#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842404312 said:

drove my sleepyhead daughter shay to school this morning, she has a biology project she needs me to help transport:

shay: dad, you took taylor to san francisco last weekend, will you take me to new york city this week?

me: sure, shay, but can you afford to miss school for 2 days with your 5 honors classes?

shay: ughhh...no, probably not

me: don't worry, i've got other fun stuff planned for the two of us

shay: i hope it's not caddying for you again

me; hey, i thought you had fun carrying my golf bag...who knew

shay: so who do the bears play?

me: syracuse

shay: do you think the bears will win?

me: sometimes there are villians so big so they blot the sun out for miles around...we may not always win

shay: ok, i'll play along...does justice ever lose?

me: it does from time to time...somewhere out in the dark syracuse waits

shay: i'm not afraid because you're with me

me: love you, shayster

shay: love you too, dad...can i have some money for after school?

[video=youtube;nse8jE_Mb8I][/video]
central park#

against all odds these california golden bears stayed together thru adversity at madison square garden vs a hometown syracuse & found a way to win...#5 ranked wisconsin will be another opportunity for our bears to play their hearts out vs villians that are so big that they blot the sun out for miles around...like nyc, the king is gonna get to defend the throne

petalumabear
HoopDreams;842427464 said:

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]my vote for best Pac 12 dunk of the week[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Loved it.... including the pull-up!! So happy for Christian...
Go Bears!
concordtom
Increase attendance?
I've given my thoughts as to how, and why it is paramount.
But people won't listen to me. So, hire someone at sdsu who was involved in increasing their attendance. They will have good thoughts, and the acumen to be listened to.
Shocky1
concordtom;842427634 said:

Increase attendance?
I've given my thoughts as to how, and why it is paramount.
But people won't listen to me. So, hire someone at sdsu who was involved in increasing their attendance. They will have good thoughts, and the acumen to be listened to.

tom, we need to put our words into action, thinking about solutions doesn't change ****

you can act: -attend as many games as possible at haas
-research the san diego state attendance sales gameplan & then meet in person with ashwin puri, cal's associate athletic director in charge of basketball marketing to discuss their potential adaptability at cal

[video=youtube;-8aXwHl3OGA][/video]

less talk, more action#
concordtom
ashwin puri is the man, eh?
Thanks
NVBear78
Shocky1;842427642 said:

tom, we need to put our words into action, thinking about solutions doesn't change ****

you can act: -attend as many games as possible at haas
-research the san diego state attendance sales gameplan & then meet in person with ashwin puri, cal's associate athletic director in charge of basketball marketing to discuss their potential adaptability at cal

[video=youtube;-8aXwHl3OGA][/video]

less talk, more action#

I believe Tom posted in great detail the SDSU plans that have done a great job in increasing attendance. Time to post it again and perhaps Shocky can help deliver the message to the powers that be!
Shocky1
ivan rabb scored 27 points with 6 boards & 5 blocks as the perennial national powerhouse oak hill academy pipelined the bishop o'dowd dragons 58-49 in the lilo & stitch iolani prep classic in hawaii

ohana, ivan

mom matters#
Shocky1
really?

fashion#
Shocky1
hey brandon, did i tell you my current 1st wife kat is filipino & irish?

following conversation at a street corner near union square in the city during a cal football weekend late this fall with shaylor (shay & taylor):

taylor: dad, do you really want the diamonds are forever class to happen at cal?

me: of course i do, sweetie

shay: then let's go to yves st laurent now

me: why would we do that?

taylor: you have no fashion sense, you need to get the kanye sunglasses, skinny jeans & boots at yves st laurent, how else will ivan know you're really serious about him going to cal

me: wow

shay: right, don't you always tell us to follow our dreams?...to never let any obstacles get in the way of achieving our goals?...to outwork everyone?

me: right, why then do i have the feeling you guys are plotting against me right now?

taylor (ignoring my comment): then let's go to yves st laurent right now, dad, the time is now

shay: plus kim kardashian will know you're serious about her too

taylor (winking at shay): kim will want to go to yoga class with you all the time if you get the outfit

me: really?

shay: (winking at taylor): and kim will probably want you to teach her how to play golf too...everyone knows she's done with kanye, you'll be the next kanye

me: and you guys don't want anything at the store, right?

taylor: well, now that you mention it, we both could use new jackets

shay (batting her eyelashes): but only if you love us. daddy

me: whatever

shay: does this mean you're all in for cal basketball?

me (with a sigh): yes

taylor (grinning at shay): let's do this!

shay: go bears!

taylor: let it fly!

shay: dad, trust me, ivan's going to be very excited

taylor: we always knew that you weren't a dumb azz

shay & taylor (loudly singing): diamonds are forever, diamonds are forever and evaaaah!!!

and they proceeded to link arms with me as we briskly walked up geary street to ysl (with my credit cards)

ambushed #
Shocky1
the #5 ranked badgers are led by the trio of #44 7' 234 lbs frank kaminsky (16.0 ppg & 7.6 rpg), #15 6'9" 220 lbs sam dekker (11.8 ppg & 4.3 rpg) & #10 6'7" 250 nigel hayes (11.7 ppg & 7.6 rpg)

wisconsin shoots almost 50% (.493) from the field but only .347 on 3 pointers (josh gasser is their best perimeter threat at .455)...the brawny badgers will pound the boards & average only 9 turnovers per game

the bears gotta push transition & attack the rim (not just tyrone but also sammy & jordan)...the king is gonna get his opportunity to guard the throne...david & christian need to play aggressively but not commit any dumb azz fouls

the bears don't need to play flawless basketball to compete with wisconsin, that's not gonna happen...they gotta stay together & play with relentless energy & without fear, just like little kids playing basketball on the playground that are having fun with their best friends

Shocky1
as i sit here awaiting our 25 hour flights via london to south africa for a safari adventure in captetown & the singita sabi game preserve (gonna miss the wisconsin & cal state bakersfield games), now is a good time to share with you again the worst thing i ever did at cal

this ain't gonna be a pretty story

yeah, i graduated with the gold phi beta kappa key, etc. but that doesn't mean my unvarnished blind ambition didn't cause me to do stuff that was wrong

so i wrote a paper for bibliography 128, children's literature, and in rereading it felt it was a technically sound paper but that it lacked interest for the reader...so i totally fabricated & included the following opening paragraph:

"I must confess that I was made uneasy to see Anne Franks's The Diary of a Young Girl on the reading list for this class. Seeing the title on the list raised several burning questions in my mind. Why had I never read this famous book? Why had my father (after a heated and lengthy debate with my mother behind closed doors) removed this work off my bookshelf as a child? It seemed to me that the answers to these questions were somehow linked to my now deceased grandfather. Although my parents never talk about him, I remembered from various bits of information pieced together that Grandpa was a figure of dubious distinction in Hitler's brass during WWII. So I was forced to think. Why were my parents, particularly my father, so reluctant to talk about my grandfather? Could the answers to my grandfather's cloudy role in Germany during WWII be found in The Diary of a Young Girl which was so mysteriously taken off my bookshelf as a child?''

and i also rewrote the following closing paragraph:

"But despite her difficult and sometimes cruel life, Anne Frank did not feel sorry for herself and she never gave up. This is a worthwhile message for both adults and children alike. All in all, The Diary of a Young Girl is a sensitive, well written, and compelling self-portrait of a brave and spirited young girl, that at least for me, will always hold a special place on my bookshelf."

absolutely none of this is true...although i have a german last name, nobody in my family has ever had any connections with any racist groups...i grew up in a culturally mixed family that celebrates individuality & diversity...my dad's sister met her jewish husband while they both were at cal

so what did my teachers say in grading the paper?

the professor: "This a fine review, not only perceptive in its commentary but in itself very well written. I hope you will keep on writing, perhaps professionally? A+"

the teaching assistant: "Your paper was very perceptive and moving because the book had a great impact on you. Though you did not generalize about non-fiction, you approached this particular book in a sensitive and understanding way. Thank you for sharing this highly personal and emotional reaction-it was very important for me personally as an Isreali jew, well versed in the literature of the holocaust, to read your reaction to the subject. The book has made you think, grow up, seek further information, and if it has instilled in you the determination not to let the horrible and shameful history repeat itself, then it has served the purpose Anne's father had when he published her diary. A+"

i'm a flawed person but i know i need to set the record straight even if it means that i'm gonna flunk the class so i go to the ta's office hours

i walk in the door & i'm blown away...she (mid to late 20s) is the cutest girl on earth (petite & curvy brunette with sparkling eyes & a dazzling smile) & we talk/laugh for about an hour about our favorite authors, recent concerts & the personalities of dogs...but i never tell her my paper is full of ****, i can't stand the thought of her hating me so quickly

so i ask her if she would like to go bike riding with me at muir woods & stinson beach that weekend (with the idea that i would tell her the truth & also see her in a bikini) & she tells me she would love to go out with me but that the university code of professional standards does not allow teachers to date students

i don't give up that easily so i suggest we bring our dogs, surely there can be no policy against our dogs hanging out together, right?

she looks at me with sad eyes & tells me "this isn't going to happen, it can't happen" and we say our goodbyes

fast forward to this summer & i take my daughters shay & taylor to anne frank's house in amsterdam...i write & leave a note to both anne frank & the teacher's assistant apologizing for my actions

shocky is a dumb azz#
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jy6u_bread-aubrey_music
Shocky1
Shocky1;842423093 said:

so after our family's hike with my dog pack up the mountain this evening, i ask everybody (except the canines) if they wanna go to the moreau catholic game tonight at pinnacle high school (20 minutes away)

taylor & her friend nikki say sure, so we put the top down & drive over to pinnacle while they school me on some new music

we enter the gym & i say "hey, let's sit behind the moreau catholic's bench"

taylor tells me, "sorry, dad, we're gonna go sit with our friends" & they walk over to the pinnacle side of the gym which has a couple hundred fans...from my vantage point behind the mc bench (there are 5 of us) i see my daughter & nikki greet & hug 3 dozen kids at a high school they don't even attend...i realize watching her in action that she's a mini shocky, fearless in introducing herself & socializing with both friends & strangers...taylor may only have a 3.0+ gpa & probably attend asu like her mom but maybe she's gonna be the #1 real estate broker in north scottsdale someday

1st play of the game is an attempted (lob is slightly off) back door ally up slam dunk by cal's 2016 commit oscar frayer...the whole place is absolutely buzzing as oscar is literally a couple of feet above the rim , this **** is getting live

on the 1st defensive series, frayer picks up a questionable foul cal from the ref...oscar doesn't complain or engage in any drama, he calmly just hands the ball to the ref...the assistant football coach i'm sitting with tells me that oscar is very level headed, a good kid

the pinnacle students are loud & well versed with both "oscar" & "overrated" chants...frayer never reacts to the crowd, he's focused on the game

mc presses the whole game (without key cal 2017 priority target pg damari milstead who is suspended for a couple of games due to a violation of school rules) & frayer steals the ball several times with quick twitch hands & high basketball iq anticipation

frayer blocks a couple of shots with redunkulous hops

oscar has a pretty good mid range game & a smooth 3 point stroke (although he slightly fades away)...his free throw shooting is solid

play of the game is a one handed running & then literally flying thru the air tomahawk jam by the junior

frayer is coltish lean & will greatly benefit from the nicodemus intense workouts & he also floats back on d sometimes ala jabari bird's daze at salesian...he also misses a couple of bunnies around the basket

"o" as he is nicknamed by coaches frank knight & jules milstead cramps up & misses most of the 4th quarter in the mariners (1-1) loss but still scores 23 points despite an ivan rabb like unselfish style of play...when a mariner makes a hustle play to steal the ball & fight for a layup late in the game, while coach knight is designing the mariners' d scheme during a timeout, oscar limps off the bench & hugs his teammates from behind while patting his head (which is a total sammy singer move)...dude is a good teammate

mark my words, oscar frayer is gonna be the MOST ATHLETIC student athlete to ever wear a bears jersey in the history of cal basketball...if you don't have season tixs at haas, you're gonna miss some pretty amazing acrobatics by a truly gifted young man...oscar will be multiple in terms of a playing position for coach martin because of his off the charts +1 athleticism

on the way back to the house i ask taylor & nikki what were their favorite plays of the game...the music is so loud, they just ignore me, all i can hear is their laughter

oscar frayer played with ferocious versatility in scoring 22 points, 4 boards, 3 blocks, 2 assists & 2 steals as the moreau catholic mariners shipwrecked the richard midgley (gonna bring the englishman to a cal game later this season) coached modesto christian crusaders 59-61

howlin' at the moon#
concordtom
Wow, have a great time!
You know, you're gonna have to stop using photos others have posted on the web and learn to upload your own, bc I don't want to see stock safari images, but your own actual ones.
HoopDreams
the men's team supporting the women's team...

Shocky1
Shocky1;842398022 said:

other than last season's sweet 16 run, johnny's teams missed the ncca tournament his first 5 years down on the farm

stanford is a great university...like cal & the ivy league schools, it will open many, many doors in life...i will never give **** to guys (like cameron walker) particularly those that grow up kinda sheltered that seek a less urban & diverse environment than berkeley for commiting to stanford

let's face it, a circus clown with a drinking problem could successfully recruit quality student athletes to stanford

but the reality is that johnny isn't a very good game day coach...his ability to be outcoached & outmanuevered in the last 5 minutes of games is predictable...hopefully stanford will extend johnny's contract 10-12 years at season's end after the cards miss the ncca tnt for the 6th out of 7th time...i dunno, maybe wily coyote will catch the roadrunner someday...

beep, beep#
adios johnny#

johnny got schooled in the final 5 minutes (again) as stanford lost their 3rd game of the season to byu 79-77
Shocky1
Shocky1;842427705 said:

ivan rabb scored 27 points with 6 boards & 5 blocks as the perennial national powerhouse oak hill academy pipelined the bishop o'dowd dragons 58-49 in the lilo & stitch iolani prep classic in hawaii

ohana, ivan

mom matters#

ivan named tournament most valuable player

more importantly, tamarik has named ivan most valuable brother

ohana
BearDevil
Shocky1;842427793 said:

so i wrote a paper for bibliography 128, children's literature, and in rereading it felt it was a technically sound paper but that it lacked interest for the reader...so i totally fabricated & included the following opening paragraph:

"I must confess that I was made uneasy to see Anne Franks's The Diary of a Young Girl on the reading list for this class. Seeing the title on the list raised several burning questions in my mind. Why had I never read this famous book? Why had my father (after a heated and lengthy debate with my mother behind closed doors) removed this work off my bookshelf as a child? It seemed to me that the answers to these questions were somehow linked to my now deceased grandfather. Although my parents never talk about him, I remembered from various bits of information pieced together that Grandpa was a figure of dubious distinction in Hitler's brass during WWII. So I was forced to think. Why were my parents, particularly my father, so reluctant to talk about my grandfather? Could the answers to my grandfather's cloudy role in Germany during WWII be found in The Diary of a Young Girl which was so mysteriously taken off my bookshelf as a child?''

and i also rewrote the following closing paragraph:

"But despite her difficult and sometimes cruel life, Anne Frank did not feel sorry for herself and she never gave up. This is a worthwhile message for both adults and children alike. All in all, The Diary of a Young Girl is a sensitive, well written, and compelling self-portrait of a brave and spirited young girl, that at least for me, will always hold a special place on my bookshelf."

One of my German friends has a daughter who's interested in studying in the US, so I gave them a tour of Cal when she was in the sixth grade. They had a huge presentation on "The Diary of Anne Frank" in the lobby entrance to Doe and the girl became extremely interested because apparently the book is required reading for German sixth graders.

We were in ASUC later and father and daughter got into an argument about whether to buy a hoody with "Cal" or "Berkeley" on it. My buddy's argument was "nobody in Germany or Europe has ever heard of Cal but everyone knows about Berkeley".
bonsallbear
BearDevil;842427980 said:

One of my German friends has a daughter who's interested in studying in the US, so I gave them a tour of Cal when she was in the sixth grade. They had a huge presentation on "The Diary of Anne Frank" in the lobby entrance to Doe and the girl became extremely interested because apparently the book is required reading for German sixth graders.

We were in ASUC later and father and daughter got into an argument about whether to buy a hoody with "Cal" or "Berkeley" on it. My buddy's argument was "nobody in Germany or Europe has ever heard of Cal but everyone knows about Berkeley".

Great! So when someone asks what is Cal...............educate him / her.
BeachedBear
BearDevil;842427980 said:

I'm not sure if it is in the official branding guidelines, but generally - 'CAL' reflects the sports teams and related non-academic activities. Whereas 'Berkeley' represents the academic institution. This is clearly reflected when you watch a Cal sporting event on TV: The team is only referred to as Cal, but the commercial that pops up about the school refers to Berkeley.

With respect to perception in Europe about Berkeley vs Cal, the same goes anywhere outside of the State of California. I've come across many people in the U.S. who were surprised to learn that Cal and Berkeley are the same institution. I almost hit a guy from New York once who thought Cal referred to USC!!!

Finally, outside of the US, collegiate sports do not have anywhere near the media relevance (if any) as they do here.

:acclaim:
concordtom
BeachedBear;842428032 said:

Finally, outside of the US, collegiate sports do not have anywhere near the media relevance (if any) as they do here.

:acclaim:

When I lived in Spain, my friend asked me what is was with people (americans) always wearing (sounded like he said) "yuke-la" shirts/sweatshirts. I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Finally, I determined he was talking about UCLA (sounds like yuke-la in Spanish if spoken as one word). I had to snicker a bit. Apparently, nobody knows about the junior campus to the south in Europe.

Yuke-la sucks! That's my motto!
So does UCLA!
Shocky1

turn the page#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"][FONT=Impact]BEASTMODE[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Marshawn-goes-BEASTMODE-79-yard-TD/99a0b07c-6e09-4e21-8c1e-bfeda54c2706[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan on Tyrone Wallace...

[COLOR="#000080"]"Our players will tell you he's one of the best we've seen. I'll give credit where credit's due. He can score in so many ways right, left, on drives and penetrations, good shot fakes, he can hit the three it's hard to say "Let's make him do this," because I think he can do it all." [/COLOR]

south bender
I previously read Ryan's comment. It is high praise indeed.
Shocky1
tyler dorsey scored 28 points on 9-17 fgs (despite 1-6 on 3 pointers) along with a t-wall like 13 boards, 2 blocks, an assist & a steal with only 2 turnovers as the marantha minutemen were outranked by the constitution generals (philly) 83-54 at the tark interest free no payback required loan classic in las vegas

diamonds are forever#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842422103 said:

picked 3rd in the pac 12 preseason poll, colorado is now 5-3 after losing at home 62-60 to instate rival colorado state along with earlier losses to georgia & wyoming by 23

beware the mid majors#

colordo got burned for their 4th loss of the season after losing 53-50 at home to george washington 53-50 with an up in smoke 1-12 shooting from behind the 3 point line, dude

not known if coach boyle llt up his playahs after the game
Shocky1
Shocky1;842426263 said:

took my fashionista daughters shay & taylor and their friends katie and carson (uncle jeff hornaceck played in the nba & is currently the phx suns head coach) to the antlers (indie band from brooklyn) concert tonite at the crescent ballroom in downtown phx this summer

shaylor live music rules stipulate that i cannot stand by them unless they initiate such proximity to their dad

oh well

anyways, my favorite song was the hauntingly beautiful "palace" which is about a very personal & special place in your life that is filled with treasured memories, somewhere that is magical

as the song ended i realized that in many ways haas pavilion is my palace

what is your palace?...will you be at your palace tomorrow night at 7:00 pm?

2013 pac men's basketball attendance (national ranking with per game average):

19) arizona-14,157
37) colorado-10,392
45) ucla-9,549
50) utah-8,611
53) california-8,297
57) washington-7,937
67) oregon-6,702
90) arizona state-6,143
not in the national top 100
washington state-4,901
oregon state-4.784
stanford-4,530
usc-4.243
both stanford & usc are in the bottom 3 for fan apathy & low attendance for schools among the major conferences

if california basketball is gonna go to the next level, the team needs YOU to attend the eastern washington and/or wisconsin games and not only attend but roar like wild bears with all your heart

the palace#

"the crowd energy at haas tonight was incredible!...let's keep that going as we approach conference play!...thanks to our fans who turned out tonight!...haas was LOUD!...on to the next 1 & the opportunity to be 11-2...#together we attack"
-cuonzo martin
First Page Last Page
Page 136 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.