cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,280,773 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842485010 said:

I love the hot links at Top Dog.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842416137 said:

mike & the cal staff originally signed sami "where's waldo" eleraky, a developing 5 from denmark...eleraky (a good student) could not enroll at cal because of academic admission requirements related to his being a foreign student...so sami went to barton cc in cold azz kansas (he did not enjoy the winter weather or the non diverse community, eleraky is of a mixed heritage family including egyptian blood), did not play ball there but completed almost 15 units & then returned to denmark

eleraky then returned to the united states to play for the winningiest coach in the history of college basketball (87% winning record), former bears walk on justin labagh at city college of san francisco...while at ccsf sami took full loads including summer school & also on line classes in order to complete the 2 year degree

gregg gottlieb ran point on eleraky's recruitment & watched several of his games...i also caught a game at ccsf & wrote a post re: his skills & somewhat limited upside...after mike watched sami in a league game late in the season the decision was made to head in a different direction for a 2014 big & eleraky ended up signing with the university of pacific

john montgomery completed an extensive international player search & identified jakof poeltl of austria, a very strong student with advanced offensive skills for a big...gregg gottlieb then got involved & also built strong relationships with the poeltl family

because of the distance, jakop poeltl & his family made the decision to visit cal, arizona & utah during a week plus tour of american colleges

sean miller had 3 international bigs on the arizona war board with poeltl as his #1 target (this info is from a golf acquaintance of mine who is arguably the wildcats largest donor...he never seems to forget that i honestly think tuscon is a dump, of course he doesn't live there either)...so sean miller tripped jakob first among his 3 prospects...the official visit did not go well as the lack of academic focus for the arizona basketball program became clearly evident, the wildcats are like a minor league professional sports team not a well regarded educational institution

both the cal & utah visits went really well with the poeltl family loving the san francisco bay area the most (they also liked salt lake city as it reminded them of their hometown in austria with maybe a couple more mormons here & there)

jakob (far left, wearing the backwards cal lid) is pictured above in the 1st row with the good looking montgomery women, sarah & my partner in bears crowd noise, anne

after returning home from the united states, jakob made a silent commitment to the staff & started the comprehensive & lengthy required international student admissions acceptance process/applications...attending the #1 ranked public university in the world was a significant factor in this decision

when mike retired, jakob quickly switched his commitment to utah (coach k is highly respected by mike)...coach martin & staff never had a chance to build a relationship with the promising austrian blue chipper

so austria's jakop poeltl signed with utah, dusan ristic of serbia signed with arizona & coach martin signed the king of england

jakob poeltl has announced his intention to returning to utah next season for his sophomore year despite nba feedback that he would be a mid 1st round draft choice

at the salt lake city game this year that taylor & i attended at the jon m huntsman center, an insider that spoke to coach k earlier in the day told us the following story:

chad ford that week had called jakob's parents in austria to get their reaction re: ford's decision to include for the 1st time poeltl in his mock draft as almost a lottery pick

ford got a reaction that's for sure...mrs poeltl basically chewed out ford for 10 minutes non stop telling him to "stop putting stupid thoughts of grandeur in my son's head" & that he went to college in the united states to get an education while also developing his basketball skills and that the nba was the furthest thing from their minds

good parenting#
GMP
antipattern;842484877 said:

Okay, that makes sense. I was wondering why he was wearing a Jonas Jerebko jersey.

haha
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]funny, how these two keep showing up in the same picture...[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]how to avoid charges...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][FONT=Arial Black][/FONT][/SIZE]
HoopDreams
Shocky1
is that justin cobbs & richard solomon return to berkeley to complete their final semesters+ & therefore earn their degrees & proudly graduate from the #1 public university in the world

men take care of their business#
GMP
Shocky1;842485146 said:

is that justin combs & richard solomon return to berkeley to complete their final semesters+ & therefore earn their degrees & proudly graduate from the #1 public university in the world

men take care of their business#

Good ol' Justin Combs.
Shocky1
sorry jc

laura willing it home#
beeasyed
HoopDreams;842485122 said:

oooo that's dirty
HoopDreams

[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=5]I don't know, Jaylen looks pretty fresh sporting those jumpmans [/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
the foundation of the cal basketball program has been solidly built by the old blues that have passionately attended cal games at harmon gym/haas pavilion for the last several decades, you are not passive tv fans, not you

i see you at haas, smiling in your impeccably attired blue & gold outfits cheering your california golden bears thru epic wins & tragic losses...yeah, you don't scream as loud or stand as much as you used to but that's ok, your fierce dedication is etched in your expressive eyes, you love your bears

and so after all the loves of your life, the 2015 season brings together elite players (the dawning of the ivan rabb era with hopefully t-wall's leadership), talented & high character coaches and improved facilities (the haas/goldman family scoreboard) working toward a potential season for the ages...the ingredients for the recipe are all there, this cake is not gonna melt in the dark

so is now perhaps the time to expand upon your season tix package, to include your children so busy with their careers/parenthood and cute grandchildren?...cal basketball is multi-generational & those few hours coming together in berkeley a couple of times next season are perhaps the fabric of your life

this is your time

concordtom
HoopDreams;842485197 said:

Swanigan FOULS!
concordtom
HoopDreams;842485122 said:

Technically, this is a traveling violation.
concordtom
Shocky1;842485030 said:

jakob poeltl has announced his intention to returning to utah next season for his sophomore year despite nba feedback that he would be a mid 1st round draft choice

at the salt lake city game this year that taylor & i attended at the jon m huntsman center, an insider that spoke to coach k earlier in the day told us the following story:

chad ford that week had called jakob's parents in austria to get their reaction re: ford's decision to include for the 1st time poeltl in his mock draft as almost a lottery pick

ford got a reaction that's for sure...mrs poeltl basically chewed out ford for 10 minutes non stop telling him to "stop putting stupid thoughts of grandeur in my son's head" & that he went to college in the united states to get an education while also developing his basketball skills and that the nba was the furthest thing from their minds

good parenting#

Good. Glad to have him back so Ivan can school him in the post. Footskills gonna get around him, teach him the finer art of post play.
Guaranteed. I can see it a mile away.

Why would the Poeltl family want their son to get an education in SALT LAKE?
Uh, kinda stupid if that's why he came here!

She needs a double dose of reality.
concordtom
Shocky1;842485010 said:

i dunno but sammy's not my favorite super hero, not by a long shot that's for sure

yoga matters#

Y'all know I'm against the objectification of women mixed casually in with everyday stuff.
However, it's clear we need something to pass the time until further/final recruiting news comes out.
Therefore, I propose a temporary call for a renewal of the HOTTIE DEATH THREAD.
socaltownie
concordtom;842485222 said:

Technically, this is a traveling violation.

It isn't (at least as I view it) cause the ball hits the backboard. Thus a rebound and fair game.
Jeff82
Shocky1;842485215 said:

the foundation of the cal basketball program has been solidly built by the old blues that have passionately attended cal games at harmon gym/haas pavilion for the last several decades, you are not passive tv fans, not you

i see you at haas, smiling in your impeccably attired blue & gold outfits cheering your california golden bears thru epic win & tragic losses...yeah, you don't scream as loud or stand as much as you used to but that's ok, your fierce dedication is etched in your expressive eyes, you love your bears

and so after all the loves of your life, the 2015 season brings together elite players (the dawning of the ivan rabb era with hopefully t-wall's leadership), talented & high character coaches and improved facilities (the haas/goldman family scoreboard) working toward a potential season for the ages...the ingredients for the recipe are all there, this cake is not gonna melt in the dark

so is now perhaps the time to expand upon your season tix package, to include your children so busy with their careers/parenthood and cute grandchildren?...cal basketball is multi-generational & those few hours coming together in berkeley a couple of times next season are perhaps the fabric of your life

this is your time

Good sentiment Shocky. My wife and I sit with my father and stepmother in Section 8 upstairs. Our seats are in approximately the same location they were in the old gym, except that spot is now about 20 rows from the top, as opposed to being the last row in the old configuration. We've been sitting there so long, I can't see the game correctly from anyplace else. My infant daughter sits on our laps, or my wife sweet-talks the usher into letting us take the stroller onto the wheelchair platform. Looking forward to the start of the Ivan Rabb era.
OldBlue1999
Jeff82;842485267 said:

Our seats are in approximately the same location they were in the old gym, except that spot is now about 20 rows from the top, as opposed to being the last row in the old configuration. We've been sitting there so long, I can't see the game correctly from anyplace else.

Some of my fondest memories of Cal basketball are from when I sat in the last row in Harmon. I used to have the last seat where the bench went under the old HS-style scoreboard at the south end and I'd stand on my seat and pound on the sheet metal to make more noise. Now I just have to settle for standing and screaming like a lunatic. Been in my new seat since Haas opened in '99 and added another to our block a few years ago. Love the vantage point and the regulars around us, many of whom we've gotten to know casually over the years. I've said before that I buy through my dad to sit together but pay my own way, even though it means zero accumulation of bb points for me. Doesn't matter, there's nowhere else I'd rather be on game night than Haas. Go Bears!
89Bear
OldBlue1999;842485313 said:

Some of my fondest memories of Cal basketball are from when I sat in the last row in Harmon. I used to have the last seat where the bench went under the old HS-style scoreboard at the south end and I'd stand on my seat and pound on the sheet metal to make more noise. Now I just have to settle for standing and screaming like a lunatic. Been in my new seat since Haas opened in '99 and added another to our block a few years ago. Love the vantage point and the regulars around us, many of whom we've gotten to know casually over the years. I've said before that I buy through my dad to sit together but pay my own way, even though it means zero accumulation of bb points for me. Doesn't matter, there's nowhere else I'd rather be on game night than Haas. Go Bears!

Harmon memories.... During the Dick Kuchen days I could stretch out, take up 3 rows, and not bother anyone.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842127763 said:

what's that stomping sound you hear in the distance?

that's the cal monster class of bird, mathews, singer, (k)rooks & roger approaching berkeley, california for cal's summer bridge program (june 28th thru august 9th)

what classes are the bears players & coaches taking this summer?

***industrial nations urban landfills & garbage (time)-garrett galvin

***greek mythology: the greatest epic battles of ivan-travis decuire

***advanced molecular agitation technology (amat)-david kravish

***global logistics, positioning & statistics-gregg gottlieb

***off shore banking regulatory standards-alan crabbe

***introduction to yoga-justin cobbs* (*if this class is not successfully completed, jc can forget about the 2013/2014 pac 12 mvp award)

***literary works of franz kafka: the metamorphosis-kahlil johnson

***origins of european foot stomping-mike montgomery

***art of happiness (masters level)-tyrone wallace

***21st century risk management and safety-ricky kreklow & christian behrens

***estuaries, lakes & rivers of denmark-john montgomery

***military and national defense strategies(in the paint)-richard solomon

***nightclub economics: closing the midnight deal-jeff powers

***life skills for asu grads: spelling & stripping-mrs shockster

***astronomy 10: uranus-the shockster

***collegiate problem drinking & solutions-oski

any other class enrollments that should be noted?

summer breezes#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
arizona state university=#1 ranked college with most current strippers in the united states

the ivan era starts in berkeley on wednesday june 24th for cal's 2015 summer bridge program

fun to note the suggested summer class for travis decuire in the post above from 2 years ago...in speaking with the bears coaches & staff at the time, only my fellow dreamer td & assistant director of basketball operations theo robertson ever agreed with me that we could successfully recruit young ivee, everyone else thought cal had "no chance"

when i used to caddie at san francisco golf club during my high school & cal days, i used to tell other caddies (and even some members) that someday i was gonna play the world top 100 golf courses...trust me, i was told i was cray cray more than once...well i'm one of 13 guys (and the youngest) to get that **** done

so believe me when i tell you that the cal basketball program is gonna be competing in a final four sooner than later

imposing limitations upon yourself & others is lethal...my high school soph fashionista daughter taylor's grand plan (other than being the prez of the brenden glapion fan club) is to raise her gpa enough (to hopefully the 3.6 gpa range) to get accepted into her dream school, the university of san francisco, & then upon graduation become the #1 real estate broker in san francisco focusing upon the sea cliff neighborhood & utilizing her fabulous income for high fashion & establishing an expansive center for rescue dogs & cats

yeah, we like to dream big
Go!Bears
Shocky1;842485215 said:

this is your time

I like the new tone and the sentiment. This is what I do. At some games I have empty seats, because the kids are busy - but when they come, it is awesome. Blondies before the game, King Pin after and 3 hours with them in between. It is a great way to spend the evening and I see a lot more of them...
petalumabear
Go!Bears;842485434 said:

I like the new tone and the sentiment. This is what I do. At some games I have empty seats, because the kids are busy - but when they come, it is awesome. Blondies before the game, [SIZE=5]King Pin[/SIZE] after and 3 hours with them in between. It is a great way to spend the evening and I see a lot more of them...

Love the way you treat the kids Go!Bears... just don't let Shocky know about the donuts or you may hear from Dr. Schockster...

:rant
Big C
89Bear;842485375 said:

Harmon memories.... During the Dick Kuchen days I could stretch out, take up 3 rows, and not bother anyone.

used to get to a 7:30 game at 6 (when the meters expired), park on Bancroft right down from (or even above) Ellsworth, across from Harmon, then drink beer at Kip's for an hour

i've always dreamed of Cal being awesome in basketball, but it can be fun even when we're not
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842485476 said:

used to get to a 7:30 game at 6 (when the meters expired), park on Bancroft right down from (or even above) Ellsworth, across from Harmon, then drink beer at Kip's for an hour

i've always dreamed of Cal being awesome in basketball, but it can be fun even when we're not

if i'm running tight to the tipoff with not enough time to head into san francisco, my go to meal in berkeley is the lotus house on durant for beef chow fun

to balance out the day, my other meal will be a healthy selection at whole foods in north scottsdale before flying out

cal basketball is all about traditions#
parentswerebears
Shocky1;842485507 said:

cal basketball is all about traditions#

I agree.. I'm traditionally late for tip. It sucks.
Shocky1
jaylen, if the nba doesn't mint you, then you're gonna have to utilize your educational opportunities to achieve your dreams & build a better life for you & your family (mom matters)...even if the nba does mint you, you gotta have financial skills & a strong education to make sure you prosper for the years ahead in terms of sound investment strategies & raising intellectually curious children

so check out the link below for your finalists, ok?

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

the university of michigan is a respectable #14 but that's not the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) school in the world...and there's no snow in the winter or nasty humid summers in berkeley

do you want to be a well rounded student athlete that is gonna compete for a national championship as part of cal's potential diamonds are forever class (2015)?

successful student athletes got academic ambition, dumb azz ballers limit themselves & just blindly hope they never get injured

don't be a dumb azz#

50 year decision#
Shocky1
ann arbor

berkeley
Shocky1
ann arbor

san franicsco/oakland bay area
Shocky1

or

Shocky1
"i've gotten to this point in my career and realized that, yeah, i've got a lot more dreams and i want to go further but at the same time i don't want to do it if it's at the expense of my happiness...and i don't want to do it if it's at the expense of my sanity or if i have to become someone who is so out of touch with what's real, the people that love you and the people that you love"
-j cole

follow one's heart (not the shoes)#
concordtom
If you want to compare Michigan to Berkeley...
well, let's see... we're both blue and gold.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=4]"The thing we saw in [COLOR="#0000CD"]Tyson Jolly[/COLOR], he is a great young man who we love to be around," Martin said. "He has great passion and wants to be a part of what we are trying to do. Tyson's athleticism and level of toughness is exactly what we want. He has a will to win basketball games, whether it is blocking a shot, getting a big rebound, scoring a big basket or making a big free throw. He does all those things to help his team win and does it with a tremendous level of passion."
[/SIZE]

Shocky1
huf is visiting with an international psa (prospective student athlete) today in paris

shine bright#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842485597 said:

huf is visiting with an international spa (prospective student athlete) today in paris

shine bright#

Poor Huff, having to travel all the time to these out-of-the-way, God-forsaken places
First Page Last Page
Page 181 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.