cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,278,779 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842124181 said:

I would like to briefly point out that with a Master's Degree in Elementary Education from ASU that I am therefore much better educated than my punctuation challenged Husband who does not have any postgraduate schooling (sorry Honey, reading a Tony Robbins books doesn't really count) and suffers from the delusion that an ASU degree includes a stripper pole.

Does a Cal degree include a pound of pot?

Plus Sparky is much cuter than Oski!

-Mrs Shockster

Why, Mrs. Shockster, whatever gave Shocky the impression that an ASU degree includes a stripper pole? Was it YOU who trained him to think that way?

If so, well done!
(Disclaimer: only within the confines of consenting adults committed to a long term relationship)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842119084 said:

juan anderson is an elite athletic defender (think syracuse) but shot only 28% 3-pters & 56% fts as a soph at marquette

smart move by anderson to return to marquette for his jr season...no scholly room with the bears

hopefully juan will work on his shooting, maybe get his eyes checked...

milwaukee ain't sonny california#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842124181 said:

I would like to briefly point out that with a Master's Degree in Elementary Education from ASU that I am therefore much better educated than my punctuation challenged Husband who does not have any postgraduate schooling (sorry Honey, reading a Tony Robbins books doesn't really count) and suffers from the delusion that an ASU degree includes a stripper pole.

Does a Cal degree include a pound of pot?

Plus Sparky is much cuter than Oski!

-Mrs Shockster

thinking about sending a blast email to all of my current 1st wife kat's tennis, hiking, book club, school parents volunteers, scrapbooking & hells angels friends under her name of course with the very concise following email message from her:

"After much consideration, my favorite planet is Uranus!!!"

a common characteristic & trademark of female asu grads is the excessive usage of 3 exclamation points after every sentence regardless of the content...such as:

"Hi honey, the kids are freebasing heroin in the garage, the dogs just chewed up all of your World Top 100 golf scorecards and I'm having sex right now with the pool boy!!!"

and what's up with the cheap shot about tony robbins?

if you ever need any bonus energy in life (don't drink that 25 hr drain cleaner mixed w/mountain dew crap), follow this simple tony robbins exercise (in fact, do it right now):

press your right foot down like you are flooring the gas pedal at the indy 500 and loudly exclaim "vroom.....vrooom....vroooooooooooooooom!"

i told you this would work...tell all your family & friends this trusty technique and you will be truly admired & starbucks will go out of business

if you read the oracle works of tr, who needs a harvard mba?

arizona state university=#1 ranked college for most current strippers in the world
Shocky1
can you name the following coach?

1) the highest current winning percentage in college basketball at 87.6% (281-43)

2) 31-1 last season

3) interned under bobby knight & played for todd bozeman

4) saint ignatius grad

5) former walk on at cal and played with shareef abdur-rahim, sean marks, francesco elson, yogi stewart, ed gray, tremaine fowlkes, sean lampley & tony gonzales

if you said justin labagh, the head coach at ccsf you would be correct

labagh has done a terrific job not only with the xxx's and ooo's (the wins & losses make that clear) but more importantly has mentored his student athletes to develop academic skills...jl has sent 30 players to d1 (including 4 last season)...not all of his players work out like deadend but many move forward with their hoop dreams along w/educational goals

justin told me that sami eleraky is scheduled to arrive from denmark on june 8/9th with the goal of enrolling at ccsf on june 10th, playing a season for the rams and then transfering to cal

favorite jl quote: "we might win a dozen games because of coaching but the other 20 wins come between march and september"...recruiting matters

sami is a legit 6'11" & 240/250 lbs and mobile...needs to work on his post moves...he is a good student who made the honor roll at barton cc last fall (major cultural change from aalborg & copenhagen to the corn fields of kansas)

eleraky's parents are of egyptian roots and they value academics

favorite sami quote: "cal is the number one public school and that says it all"

for those traveling to denmark to play golf, my favorite design is the fano golf links which is located on a small island on the west coast of denmark...at only 5600 yds from the back tees, it reminds me of pacific grove's sand dunes nine in terms of beauty, length & fun shotmaking opportunties among the dunes

for 2014 the bears need to sign 2-3 bigs from among diallo, fitzner & welsh along with eleraky

any of you going to attend a rams game this season & scout sami?...if so, make sure you introduce yourself to justin labagh, a true bear (and maybe someday a cal bb coach)

world wide waldo sighting#

the university of california=#1 ranked public university in the world (including denmark)
antipattern
Shocky1;842124647 said:

1) the highest current winning percentage in college basketball at 87.6% (281-43)

2) 31-1 last season

4) saint ignatius grad

5) former walk on at cal and played with shareef abdur-rahim, sean marks, francesco elson, yogi stewart, ed gray, tremaine fowlkes, sean lampley & tony gonzales

if you said justin labagh, the head coach at sfcc you would be correct

labagh has done a terrific job not only with the xxx's and ooo's (the wins & losses make that clear) but more importantly has mentored his student athletes to develop academic skills...jl has sent 30 players to d1 (including 4 last season)...not all of his players work out like deadend but many move forward with their hoop dreams along w/educational goals

justin told me that sami elaraky is scheduled to arrive from denmark on june 8/9th with the goal of enrolling at sfcc on june 10th, playing a season for the rams and then transfering to cal

favorite jl quote: "we might win a dozen games because of coaching but the other 20 wins come between march and september"...recruiting matters

sami is a legit 6'11" & 240/250 lbs and mobile...needs to work on his post moves...he is a good student who made the honor roll at barton cc last fall (major cultural change from aalborg & copenhagen to the corn fields of kansas)

elaraky's parents are of egyptian roots and they value academics

for those traveling to denmark to play golf, my favorite design is the fano golf links which is located on a small island on the west coast of denmark...at only 5600 yds from the back tees, it reminds me of pacific grove's sand dunes nine in terms of beauty, length & fun shotmaking opportunties among the dunes

for 2014 the bears need to sign 2-3 bigs from among diallo, fitzner & welsh along with elaraky

any of you going to attend a rams game this season & scout sami?...if so, make sure you introduce yourself to justin labagh, a true bear (and maybe someday a cal bb coach)

the university of california=#1 ranked public university in the world (including denmark)

Great info again, Shocky! I thought Sami was out of the picture, glad to hear that's very much not the case.

Wondering about your statement that "bears need to sign 2-3 bigs from among diallo, fitzner & welsh". Would we really want Rooks, Sami, Murphy and Diallo? (Not including Fitzner as he is, I think, a more of a face-up 4). Nice to have size, but I can't see those guys being excited about being in the same class as two other 7 footers, and that seems like a lot of duplication on the roster. Did you mean 2 *of* 3?

Edit: Actually, unless people transfer or leave early, it seems like we only have one more spot for 2014? Rorie, Sami, and one more to make up for the loss of Solo, Cobbs and Powers (who I assume is getting a scholarship this year). How would we sign 2 or 3 more anything?
concordtom
Shocky1;842124647 said:

favorite jl quote: "we might win a dozen games because of coaching but the other 20 wins come [U]between march and september[/U]"...recruiting matters

The following is meant as no insult to you, Shocky.
The above is the single most TRUE thing you have ever written. I wish others would know this.
NVBear78
Thanks Shocky for another informative and entertaining post. Great to hear that Sami is still a possibility and interesting info on the SFCC coach!
HoopDreams
The Shockster comes through again
Keeps the news flowing
Thx for the update

Shocky1;842124647 said:

2) 31-1 last season

4) saint ignatius grad

justin told me that sami elaraky is scheduled to arrive from denmark on june 8/9th with the goal of enrolling at sfcc on june 10th, playing a season for the rams and then transfering to cal

for 2014 the bears need to sign 2-3 bigs from among diallo, fitzner & welsh along with elaraky

south bender
Impressive record.

Much more attractive as potential Monty replacement (when Monty is 82, as Monty himself suggested as his retirement age!) than any current staff member either at Cal or at any other program.

Nothing like seeing a person's performance as HC.

Without it, evaluating someone to be a HC is a stab in the dark.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
congratulations from the bears family to amhaad rorie for his acceptance to attend the monteverde academy in florida (half an hour away from dizzyworld)!

monteverde academy, the prior hs of roger moute a bidias before he transfered to notre dame mass for his sr yr, is a very strong academic institution with 100% college acceptance & 85% acceptance at 1st college choice results

last season the monteverde bb team finished as the #1 team in the united states per both espn & usa today

as ar has continued to absolutely blow up nationally during his outstanding jr season with the lincoln abes and then this summer with the aau northwest panthers, he has been actively recruited by both monteverde & findlay prep

amhaad & his mom, rhonetta thomas, visited the campus may 10-12th with mom offering her unconditional love saying "i have always talked to my son about moving away and growing up"

even aubrey shelton, amhaad's hs coach (who told me ar shot an amazing 45% from the hs 3 pt line for the abes last season) is understanding, "it's another step up, another level up"

amhaad will play a shortened aau season, then travel to italy with the adidas usa all star team before moving on campus at monteverde in august (florida's scorching summer heat/humididty will absolutely stun ar)

both amhaad & his mom are still 100% looking forward to ar signing with cal in nov & arriving in berkeley during the summer of 2014

my favorite ar quote?

"i won't feel satisfied until moms stops workin"

if you don't think the current cal bb student athletes recruited by mr cranky pants, travis decuire, gregg gottlieb & johnny montgomery aren't truly amazing young men with interesting stories of perseverence, you probably just aren't paying attention

in summary, with a 3.8 gpa amhaad rorie is the finest distributor/facilitator & scorer and true student athlete pg in the 2014 class (and therefore the perfect cal fit) and will be the best pg at cal since jason kidd

#5 (career nba earning $200m+)
2014 mcdonalds all star game#
represent the bay#
fly with the bird#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
south bender
Am glad you have eliminated the "dielast."

Taken literally, as if any of us--short of suicide--control one's stay in the body.

Go Bears!
R90
Shocky1;842124647 said:

He'd come in for the 2014-15 season, with 3 years of eligibility remaining, which puts Eleraky with the "monster" 2013 class in terms of when he'd be hitting his peak and likely graduating, even though we originally signed Sami in the 2012 class.

Sami would come in as Solomon was going out, giving us:

6'9" Kravish (Sr.)
7'0" Rooks (So.)
6'11" Eleraky (So.)
6'9" Behrens (Jr.)
6'7" Johnson (Jr.)
6'7" Moute (So. or RS Fr.)

Bird could be one-and-done, and Kreklow could end up being inactive if the foot injuries don't heal. A good small or power forward looks like the highest priority for the last 2014 scholarship since Johnson and Moute appear to be 3/4 combo players.
smokeyrover
R90;842124824 said:

He'd come in for the 2014-15 season, with 3 years of eligibility remaining, which puts Eleraky with the "monster" 2013 class in terms of when he'd be hitting his peak and likely graduating, even though we originally signed Sami in the 2012 class.

Sami would come in as Solomon was going out, giving us:

6'9" Kravish (Sr.)
7'0" Rooks (So.)
6'11" Eleraky (So.)
6'7" Johnson (Jr.)
6'7" Moute (So. or RS Fr.)

Bird could be one-and-done, and Kreklow could end up being inactive if the foot injuries don't heal. A good small or power forward looks like the highest priority for the last 2014 scholarship since Johnson and Moute appear to be 3/4 combo players.

Forgot 6'9" Behrens, Jr.

If Eleraky is indeed on the way for 2014, it raises the question of how to complete the 2014 class. There will be at least one more spot available. Another true 5 (Diallo or Welsh)? A more Kravish-like 4 (Fitzner)? Of course if Malik Pope wants to come, you take him.

With questions about health and development of Kreklow, Behrens, Johnson, and RMAB and possible early departure of Bird (I don't see him leaving after 1 year) hard to say where the roster needs will be.

BTW, mystery man Kahlil Johnson has been putting in work recently. 6 am workouts in the dunes of Malibu.

Shocky1
smokeyrover;842124843 said:

Forgot 6'9" Behrens, Jr.

If Eleraky is indeed on the way for 2014, it raises the question of how to complete the 2014 class. There will be at least one more spot available. Another true 5 (Diallo or Welsh)? A more Kravish-like 4 (Fitzner)? Of course if Malik Pope wants to come, you take him.

With questions about health and development of Kreklow, Behrens, Johnson, and RMAB and possible early departure of Bird (I don't see him leaving after 1 year) hard to say where the roster needs will be.

BTW, mystery man Kahlil Johnson has been putting in work recently. 6 am workouts in the dunes of Malibu.

smokey-your analysis is on the $ & awesome foto of kahlil

would only add that sami still has a lot of academic work to successfully complete at sfcc in order to transfer to cal for 2014 & that imo multi skilled evan fitzner is the top priority to join potential mcdonalds all american amhaad rorie
Shocky1
Shocky1;842123741 said:

at the recent cal team awards at the new sparkling memorial stadium with a panoramic view of a dramatic bay area sunset over the golden gate bridge, the following shoski recipient was announced:

joe francis girls gone wild award: jeff powers

with our eyes upon tmz fairness (and the single green light across the water) with respects to our student athletes, fellow haas grad jeff erickson reports that part of jeff powers elite checking out the crowds scoping includes making eye contact with his parents & sister who have the seats in front of erickson

no doubt that the shockster's faulty pereception that jp was visually undressing the tall blonde w/a short skirt & a long jacket (w/ 6' cfm pumps) that ran stats back & forth up the steps at the asu game in tempe was merely a trick of the lights

jp=20/20 vision#

arizona state university=#1 ranked college with most current strippers in the world

who was the bears best % 3 pt shooter last season?

was it future nba sharpshooter alan crabbe?...nah, he shot .348, 2nd best on the team

all around wingman (yeah, baby) jeff powers .375 shooting led the bears...imo powers was underutilized by monty in light of the abysmal shooting problems the bears endured at times last season...in particular the relatively methodical (which favors jp's game) pacing of the losses to asu, utah, stanford, harvard & creighton might have resulted in potential wins if our night club hero had been given the opportunity to drain 3 pters from the vip section with m83 thumping midnight city as the dance beat

gotta believe jp owns a pair of sleek eel euro trash italian shoes...

jp=20/20 vision#
south bender
Shocky1;842124997 said:

was it future nba sharpshooter alan crabbe?...nah, he shot .348, 2nd best on the team

all around wingman (yeah, baby) jeff powers .375 shooting led the bears...imo powers was underutilized by monty in light of the abysmal shooting problems the bears endured at times last season...in particular the relatively methodical (which favors jp's game) pacing of the losses to asu, utah, stanford, harvard & creighton might have resulted in potential wins if our night club hero had been given the opportunity to drain 3 pters from the vip section with m83 thumping midnight city as the dance beat

jp=20/20 vision#

Glad you are posting and Monty is coaching.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842124997 said:

jp=20/20 vision#

jeff power's .375 places him 7th among returning pac 12 3 pt % shooters

hopefully his # of 3 pt shots will be doubled or tripled next season...

jp=20/20 vision#
work hard, die last#
BeachedBear
Shocky -

I enjoy your posts -have you ever coached any basketball (not intended as a passive-aggressive insult - but a serious question). From a coaching perspective it seemed VERY OBVIOUS how MM was using JP and hiding his primary weakness. That is - his ability to defend his man. In most man to man situations, JP would have been up against the opponent's most dynamic player. The result of which would have meant loss of tempo control for the bears. Monty loves to control the tempo of the game and would selectively use JP, based on the opponents line up. While jp is a smart player and great shooter - we often saw Monty use jp in only selective situations in order to maintain control.

Or out of desperation, due to injury, fouls or someone else with the 'yips' :p
Shocky1
BeachedBear;842125086 said:

Shocky -

I enjoy your posts -have you ever coached any basketball (not intended as a passive-aggressive insult - but a serious question). From a coaching perspective it seemed VERY OBVIOUS how MM was using JP and hiding his primary weakness. That is - his ability to defend his man. In most man to man situations, JP would have been up against the opponent's most dynamic player. The result of which would have meant loss of tempo control for the bears. Monty loves to control the tempo of the game and would selectively use JP, based on the opponents line up. While jp is a smart player and great shooter - we often saw Monty use jp in only selective situations in order to maintain control.

hey bleached, there are at least 49,016 basketball minds (including probably you) on the west coast that know more about bb than me

7th grade sunnyside middle school volunteer bb coach>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the shockster

but when the bears were down last season by more than 10 pts with less than 10 minutes to play & the bad new bears were blindly throwing up repeated bricks en route to a pac 12 worst .302 3 pt %, it is very clear to me that monty underutilized jp's 3 pt shooting skills in the losses to asu, utah, stanford, harvard & creighton...there was no game tempo issues at stake at those junctures in the game, the bears had nothing to loss by playing our night club hero & allowing him the opportunity to shoot 3s from the vip section

lindsey gottlieb & her wbb bears beat stanford in palo alto for the 1st time since dinosaurs ruled the earth because she strategically brought in mikayla lyles to successfully bust the cards zone...neither mikalya or jeff are going to make the olympic teams based upon their d lockdown skills-this deficiency can be masked by a cal zone d for a short period of time

jp=20/20 vision#

:woohoo
calumnus
BeachedBear;842125086 said:

Shocky -

Much of our second half surge was attributable to going to more zone which would mitigate much of that issue.

Moreover, when Crabbe was on the bench (admittedly as little as possible) we would usually go with Cobbs, Smith and Wallace and not surprisingly have a lot of trouble scoring. In that situation, I thought Powers would generally have brought more to the table than Smith.

When Kreklow came back at the end of the season and into the postseason, Monty played him a lot (1st guard/forward off the bench) instead of Smith. Hindsight is 20/20 but I think Kreklow was still hurt and Powers would have been better able to deliver what I think Monty was hoping to get from Kreklow--some size and outside scoring.

In those 4 games Cal went 1-3. Kreklow's numbers:
vs. Stanford 13 min 0-3 for 0 Pts, 2 Reb, 2 PF, 1 Assist, 1 TO, 1 Steals
vs. Utah 18 min 2-4 for 6 Pts, 2 Reb, 3 PF, 2 TO
vs. UNLV 14 min 0-3 for 0 Pts, 1 Reb, 2 PF, 1 Assist, 3 TO
vs. Syracuse 21 min 0-3 for 0 Pts, 3 Reb, 4 PF, 2 Assist, 3 TO, 1 Steals

Totals over final 4 games after coming back from injury:
66 min 2-13 (15%) for 6 Pts, 8 Reb, 11 PF, 4 Assist, 9 TO, 2 Steals

Undoubtedly Kreklow is a better player than Powers when healthy, but I do think Powers really could have helped us by providing another outside shooter, and thought so especially in our 6 point loss to Syracuse. Obviously Powers is a limited player, but our choices were few. Kreklow (like Smith) lost confidence in his shot and stopped taking open shots, allowing the Syracuse zone to focus on stopping Crabbe and Cobbs.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842124801 said:

congratulations from the bears family to amhaad rorie for his acceptance to attend the monteverde academy in florida (half an hour away from dizzyworld)!

monteverde academy, the prior hs of richard moute a bidias before he transfered to notre dame mass for his sr yr, is a very strong academic institution with 100% college acceptance & 85% acceptance at 1st college choice results

last season the monteverde bb team finished as the #1 team in the united states per both espn & usa today

as ar has continued to absolutely blow up nationally during his outstanding jr season with the lincoln abes and then this summer with the aau northwest panthers, he has been actively recruited by both monteverde & findlay prep

amhaad & his mom, rhonetta thomas, visited the campus may 10-12th with mom offering her unconditional love saying "i have always talked to my son about moving away and growing up"

even aubrey shelton, amhaad's hs coach (who told me ar shot an amazing 45% from the hs 3 pt line for the abes last season) is understanding, "it's another step up, another level up"

amhaad will play a shortened aau season, then travel to italy with the adidas usa all star team before moving on campus at monteverde in august (florida's scorching summer heat/humididty will absolutely stun ar)

both amhaad & his mom are still 100% looking forward to ar signing with cal in nov & arriving in berkeley during the summer of 2014

my favorite ar quote?

"i won't feel satisfied until moms stops workin"

if you don't think the current cal bb student athletes recruited by mr cranky pants, travis decuire, gregg gottlieb & johnny montgomery aren't truly amazing young men with interesting stories of perseverence, you probably just aren't paying attention

in summary, with a 3.8 gpa amhaad rorie is the finest distributor/facilitator & scorer and true student athlete pg in the 2014 class (and therefore the perfect cal fit) and will be the best pg at cal since jason kidd

#5 (career nba earning $200m+)
represent the bay#
fly with the bird#

"nope not doin that"

represent the bay#
fly with the bird#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842124647 said:

2) 31-1 last season

4) saint ignatius grad

justin labagh also told me he thinks very highly of the cal bb coaching staff "up there in berkeley"*

he praised our coaches for their honesty & willingness to "tell the truth, not just what players want to hear"...labagh interacts with many d1 coaching staffs (not surprising given his teams' redunkulous 87.6% winning percentage) and mentioned that the trustworthy integrity of our coaches is definitely not the case with all coaching staffs that recruit sfcc

*while jl is an exceptional bb hc, he is also clearly geographically challenged...pretty sure berkeley is "over there" or "across the bay" from san francisco, not "up there"

go rams

honesty matters#
geography matters#

san francisco city college basketball program=#1 winningest college bb program in the united states of america & its territories (denmark not included)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842124325 said:

smart move by anderson to return to marquette for his jr season...no scholly room with the bears

hopefully juan will work on his shooting, maybe get his eyes checked...

milwaukee ain't sonny california#

also good luck to deadend as it appears he is heading to california state university san marcos after things didn't work out at ucla & usf

cal state san marcos bb program is like the oakland raiders, the disenfranchised & those with troublemaker tags are welcomed as long as they "just win, baby"

cssm is coached by jim saia, former drake & college of marin standout and later ucla asst coach under his former hs buddy, steve lavin

deadend decommited from cal because he "wanted to help his family"...at this pt, he needs to get his shizz together & earn a diploma
Shocky1
with solid sources within the cal coaching staff, john foletta offered the following condensed (by me) opinions regarding the bears monster class with avinash kunnath of the california golden blogs

roger moute a bidias: until recently many expected roger would reclassify for 2014 meaning he'd play prep ball for another year...that meant most programs eased off the gas...cal, however, stuck with him...he's 6-7, the brother of nbaer luc and is extremely athletic...he's still raw but very long and could provide cal immediate help on the glass

kameron rooks: rooks is a project but will be in the rotation next year...mike montgomery has told him as much and that's one reason why kameron chose cal over arizona...when he's lined up against an opposing high school's 6-4/6-5 big man he can look slow and plodding...give him a veritable big, however, and he'll bump and body him up...i think kameron will develop into a genuine post player and that's something that cal hasn't had in a while...i've heard the cal staff loves rooks and envisions him being a beast by the time he's a sophmore

sam singer: singer is a bit of an unknown...since he's out in florida i've only seen tape of him and admittedly its generally been against low grade teams...nevertheless his physcal attributes are impressive...he's tall, rangy, a capable shooter and from what i understand an absolute gym rat...he's certainly making a big jump but i feel good about the physical tools he's bringing with him

jodan mathews: matthews will absolutely play immediately...right now he's primarily a spot up shooter at the next level...with cobbs penetrating and solo playing the inside-outside game there should be plenty of open looks from the perimeter...mathews plays composed and has plenty of confidence in his shot...once the treys start falling and defenders are flying out on him, cal will be able to generate plenty of open looks

jabari bird: he's a high character guy who really plays with a team first attitude...in terms of shot mechanics and basketball iq he's extremely polished...he can struggle to create his own shot and can appear passive at times...jabari is a tremendous talent...you won't see bird heaving shots because he's "the man"...my prediction: 13 ppg, 5 rpg and 2/3 apg from bird next year with cal getting two years out of him
NYCGOBEARS
Shockster, any prediction as to when Bird will be another Bear Pac 12 POY?
OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842125625 said:

with solid sources within the cal coaching staff, john foletta offered the following condensed (by me) opinions regarding the bears monster class with avinash kunnath of the california golden blogs

ricard moute a bidias: until recently many expected roger would reclassify for 2014 meaning he'd play prep ball for another year...that meant most programs eased off the gas...cal, however, stuck with him...he's 6-7, the brother of nbaer luc and is extremely athletic...he's still raw but very long and could provide cal immediate help on the glass

kameron rooks: rooks is a project but will be in the rotation next year...mike montgomery has told him as much and that's one reason why kameron chose cal over arizona...when he's lined up against an opposing high school's 6-4/6-5 big man he can look slow and plodding...give him a veritable big, however, and he'll bump and body him up...i think kameron will develop into a genuine post player and that's something that cal hasn't had in a while...i've heard the cal staff loves rooks and envisions him being a beast by the time he's a sophmore

sam singer: singer is a bit of an unknown...since he's out in florida i've only seen tape of him and admittedly its generally been against low grade teams...nevertheless his physcal attributes are impressive...he's tall, rangy, a capable shooter and from what i understand an abosolute gym rat...he's certainly making a big jump but i feel good about the physical tools he's bringing with him

jodan mathews: matthews will absolutely play immediately...right now he's primarily a spot up shooter at the next level...with cobbs penetrating and solo playing the inside-outside game there should be plenty of open looks from the perimeter...mathews plays composed and has plenty of confidence in his shot...once the treys start falling and defenders are flying out on him, cal will be able to generate plenty of open looks

jabari bird: he's a high character guy who really plays with a team first attitude...in terms of shot mechanics and basketball iq he's extremely polished...he can struggle to create his own shot and can appear passive at times...jabari is a tremendous talent...you won't see bird heaving shots because he's "the man"...my prediction: 13 ppg, 5 rpg and 2/3 apg from bird next year with cal getting two years out of him

Shocky, what do you think of this assessment. From everything I read he has Singer and Mathews backwards.....I am hearing that "the unknown" Singer is more likely to play minutes vs. Mathews, who will take some time. What say thee?
south bender
OdontoBear66;842125643 said:

Shocky, what do you think of this assessment. From everything I read he has Singer and Mathews backwards.....I am hearing that "the unknown" Singer is more likely to play minutes vs. Mathews, who will take some time. What say thee?

Iirc, we were told, by a reliable source apparently with inside knowledge, on this site last year that Kahlil Johnson was brought in to play immediately. Well, his early play (and his practices, it can be assumed) served to eliminate him from any significant meaningful play.

So as much fun as our early speculations are about playing time, I would guess that not even Monty knows how minutes will be distributed among the returners who played little or not at all (Powers, Johnson, Kreklow) and all five scholarship Frosh.

Rooks may well play, has a great chance for playing time, but cannot imagine Monty's guaranteeing him more than a golden opportunity.

Go Bears!
concordtom
Shocky1;842125416 said:

justin labagh also told me he thinks very highly of the cal bb coaching staff "up there in berkeley"*

*while jl is an exceptional bb hc, he is also clearly geographically challenged...pretty sure berkelely is "over there" or "across the bay" from san francisco, not "up there"

We all know that Berkeley is due east from SF, as this one particular company's distribution map illustrates. Certainly, Labagh's referring to Berkeley as "up there" was not a geographic reference, rather a prestige and social caste reference, as in 'the air UP THERE". At least, that's the way I read it.

Now then, this map DOES incorrectly show El Cerrito being where Concord is. What's up with THAT!
Shocky1
concordtom;842125678 said:

We all know that Berkeley is due east from SF, as this one particular company's distribution map illustrates. Certainly, Labagh's referring to Berkeley as "up there" was not a geographic reference, rather a prestige and social caste reference, as in 'the air UP THERE". At least, that's the way I read it.

Now then, this map DOES incorrectly show El Cerrito being where Concord is. What's up with THAT!

tom, thx for posting the bay area map (unique format without any roads and/or landmarks, was it crafted by a san quentin lifer?) which conclusively proves that in regards to all matters of geography:

justin labagh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the shockster

clearly if one is putting out on the 330 yd risk/reward par 4 16th hole at harding park with cool pacific winds whipping off a choppy lake merced and then driving across the bay bridge with the top down to the top dog on the northside of campus for a tasty late afternoon lunch, then one is traveling "up there"

go rams

geography matters#

san francisco city college bb program=#1 winningest college bb program in the united states of america & its territories (denmark not included)
Shocky1
south bender;842125655 said:

Iirc, we were told, by a reliable source apparently with inside knowledge, on this site last year that Kahlil Johnson was brought in to play immediately. Well, his early play (and his practices, it can be assumed) served to eliminate him from any significant meaningful play.

So as much fun as our early speculations are about playing time, I would guess that not even Monty knows how minutes will be distributed among the returners who played little or not at all (Powers, Johnson, Kreklow) and all five scholarship Frosh.

Rooks may well play, has a great chance for playing time, but cannot imagine Monty's guaranteeing him more than a golden opportunity.

Go Bears!

south bender, what "insider" told you that lightly recruited kahlil johnson was "brought in to play immediately" despite the 3 position being owned by probable nba 1st rounder alan crabbe?

sure hope this expert isn't also your rare manuscript advisor, otherwise you are gonna own a lot of copies of worthless poem books by amanda bynes

as for rooks, sean miller told kameron & his family that he would redshirt if he became a wildcat (kudos to sm, who isn't a strong xxx's & ooo's guy, for his honesty re: az's stockpiling of frontcourt talent)...monty told kameron that he would not blueshirt & that he would be part of the bears 2013/2014 rotation

honesty matters#
south bender
Shocky1;842125756 said:

south bender, what "insider" told you that lightly recruited kahlil johnson was "brought in to play immediately" despite the 3 position being owned by probable nba 1st rounder alan crabbe?

sure hope this expert isn't also your rare manuscript advisor, otherwise you are gonna own a lot of copies of worthless poem books by amanda bynes

as for rooks, sean miller told kameron & his family that he would redshirt if he became a wildcat (kudos to sm, who isn't a strong xxx's & ooo's guy, for his honesty re: az's stockpiling of frontcourt talent)...monty told kameron that he would not blueshirt & that he would be part of the bears 2013/2014 rotation

honesty matters#

You heard Monty say that Rooks would be part of the rotation?

Go Bears!
south bender
Shocky1;842125756 said:

honesty matters#

Shockster, I did not write that I was told anything by an insider. I wrote that such info was provided on this site, specifically after we inked Kahlil.

Reading comprehension matters!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
south bender;842125785 said:

Shockster, I did not write that I was told anything by an insider. I wrote that such info was provided on this site, specifically after we inked Kahlil.

Reading comprehension matters!

Go Bears!

south bender, does this "reliable source with inside information on this site" that told you that kahlil was "brought in to play immediately" have a name or did you perhaps hear voices in your head that told you this scoop?

on 2nd thought, maybe the poem books by amanda bynes will make sense to you...

crazy people are fun#
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842125643 said:

odonto, i think john foletta's assessments are on the $ with 2 exceptions

roger moute a bidias: rmab moved from cameroon to the usa in 2011...that year he attended monteverde academy in florida (amhaad rorie's new school) which is an elite academic school (100% college acceptance & 85% 1st college choice acceptance)...this past school year he attended notre dame in mass which is under ncaa review for purported academic failings such as a lack of course content and students sleeping in the classrooms...therefore despite a 3.0 gpa & one yr at monteverde academy, with his prior schooling in a 3rd world country & a questionable academic yr at notre dame it is my belief that roger would benefit from a blueshirt yr at cal which would also allow him s&c time to add the necessary weight to become an impact player at the 4

one of the most damaging decisions by jt, lupus & kenwick thompson was the desperately careless playing of academic red flag 2.5 gpa true freshmen tiny moala, mustapha jalil, chris mccain & cecil whiteside (flunked out) instead of blueshirting them

so while foletta thinks rmab might immediately contribute on the boards, i think roger will blueshirt particularly in light of kahlil johnson's move to the 4 & impressive recent weight/strength gains

jabari bird: while jf thinks jb will be gone in 2, i think the bird will probably be at cal 3 yrs before he is assured a definite spot in the 1st round (and potentially a lottery pick) in the nba draft...the average 2 in the nba is 6'6" & 211 lbs...jb is currently 6'5" & approximately 180 lbs...adding 10 lbs of good weight a yr is realistic

as for the singer & mathews assessments, they seem very accurate to me

sam singer's competition while at ransom everglades was vs low grade florida basketball teams...during his sr yr the raiders only played 3 high quality teams:

south miami: 62-42 loss
berkeley prep: 61-51 win
lake highland prep: 65-60 loss

so sam has a lot of catching up to do with respects to playing at the next level

i think singer will see time as a back up to cobbs with limited effectivness & pt against blur (woo hoo, i got my head checked) pgs like carson @asu & artis @oregon...but sam with his length will match up well with 6'9" anderson @ucla

ss's work ethic will be the difference maker in his future development...he will not be outworked

mathews, on the other hand, has already played vs elite la talent on his way to earning ocean league mvp honors...monty says "mathews is a tough minded kid, physical, and not afraid to make contact...he can really shoot the ball"...mathews will likely earn significant pt at the 2 sharing time with t-wall (who could also slide over to pg to spell jc)

both sam & jordan have bright future as bears teammates

work hard, die last#

Shocky1
south bender;842125784 said:

You heard Monty say that Rooks would be part of the rotation?

Go Bears!

john montgomery told me "we'll have kravish, solomon, rooks, behrens, and then johnson and/or roger moute" with respects to the bears frontcourt rotation for next season

any other questions?
First Page Last Page
Page 23 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.