Mad Dog Extension

3,355 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by calumnus
GoldenBasketBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For JK to save his arse, he better get Mad Dog an extension ASAP. I think it's fair to say that Mad Dog is bringing Cal Basketball BACK.

Anybody know what the contract for Madsen is? I know Fox's was released not too much later after he took the job.
01Bear
GoldenBasketBear said:

For JK to save his arse, he better get Mad Dog an extension ASAP. I think it's fair to say that Mad Dog is bringing Cal Basketball BACK.

Anybody know what the contract for Madsen is? I know Fox's was released not too much later after he took the job.

It might be too early for that. I hope JK learned from his Wilcox extension.

As much as I like how much Madsen has improved the team in his sole season, until he actually gets Cal to the NCAA Tournament, it's too early to tell if Madsen is a Tournament coach or a .500 coach at Cal.
southseasbear
01Bear said:

GoldenBasketBear said:

As much as I like how much Madsen has improved the team in his sole season, until he actually gets Cal to the NCAA Tournament, it's too early to tell if Madsen is a Tournament coach or a .500 coach at Cal.
JK considers .500, or even close to .500, to be a great achievement worthy of an extension.
Cal88
I think Madsen is a keeper, but also probably not a job-hopper.
bearsandgiants
I think he always wanted to be here. Grew up here. Lives here. Family roots. Probably doesn't want to move kids to Palo Alto. Way too far to commute. We need to keep him happy. Big things are coming, as long as we can fire our inept AD and marketing department leaders and fill our stadiums
Strykur
Lock him in when we are playing in March, nobody is going to swoop in on him if we're mediocre on paper anyways.
touchdownbears43
Absolutely not. We went from hoping for a tourney run to now happy for .500. Let this play out.
Cal_79
Mad Dog has been coaching Cal for how many months?
Cal88
touchdownbears43 said:

Absolutely not. We went from hoping for a tourney run to now happy for .500. Let this play out.

He started with the worst program in the conference, mired in the worst stretch in the entire history of Cal hoops, and brought us into the middle of the conference in less than one season.
BearSD
Strykur said:

Lock him in when we are playing in March, nobody is going to swoop in on him if we're mediocre on paper anyways.

Probably true that no AD is going to win the press conference by hiring a coach who is under .500 in his first season in a major conference.

OTOH, if the trajectory of this team's improvement continues next season, MM's buyout is reportedly $5 million, and a wealthy BiG or $EC team can easily pay that, so Cal's major athletic donors better be ready to ante up if necessary.
bearister
They need to hit up the guy on the football board willing to donate $40k for a Starkey statue at CMS.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Big C
GoldenBasketBear said:

Standard contract for a first-year coach is five years. Hopefully, we have something in there that makes him hard to poach.

Personally, I've seen enough to where I wish he were locked in for even longer than five years. The key is going to be to not let him think he is being jerked around. Talking about being competitive on the NIL, moving towards getting a decent practice facility, ensuring competitive salaries for him and his staff, recruiting budget, etc.
GoldenBasketBear
It seems some individuals here may not have experienced the past seven years to grasp the notable shift in the atmosphere here at Cal. It's evident that we got the right guy, regardless of how this season ends. The difference in energy and community engagement is incomparable in his first season, against the last 7 torturous years

How can we obtain access to his contract details, similar to how Fox's were available after his hiring? It wouldn't be surprising if JK mishandled that…
touchdownbears43
GoldenBasketBear said:

It seems some individuals here may not have experienced the past seven years to grasp the notable shift in the atmosphere here at Cal. It's evident that we got the right guy, regardless of how this season ends. The difference in energy and community engagement is incomparable in his first season, against the last 7 torturous years

How can we obtain access to his contract details, similar to how Fox's were available after his hiring? It wouldn't be surprising if JK mishandled that…

Same logic that got us chained to Wilcox. Scarred by Sonny, he gave us a false sense of hope and optimism with a bowl bid in year two and now we wanna extend a coach who has been here for 1/3 of a season?! LOL. Come on guys…

HOPEFULLY he is the right coach but there was a strong belief in the preseason (with the same coach and same bravado) that we were making the tourney this year with all of the decent portal transfers. Now we're happy with sub- .500? Sure it's a lot better than the trauma Fox left us with but still.

Mad dog just made a big career jump by coming to Cal. NO school is coming to poach him. Maybe if he goes 20+ wins in year two and has a lottery pick? Hope he continues to build but let's have some perspective!
RedlessWardrobe
The X factor in this whole conversation is Haase and the furd. Of all the potential "poachers", furd would be the most logical. What decision they make with Haase at the end of the season will certainly be a factor in this entire issue.
GoldenBasketBear
You would've thought that if the Furd truly wanted him badly enough, they would've struck while the iron was hot last year. Now, they have to pay a hefty buyout, which they surely would've known had they not hired Mad Dog last summer. I believe he will stay, and if he does leave, it'll be elsewhere, not with the Furd.
RedlessWardrobe
Perhaps you're right. But I believe Madsen and his family are now living somewhere in the East Bay, in the vicinity of where he grew up. In any case, let's hope the administration doesn't screw this up.
Gobears49
bearister said:

They need to hit up the guy on the football board willing to donate $40k for a Starkey statue at CMS.
I really want to keep Madsen as I think we have a jewel of a coach that will rocket up our ranking next season. Still hoping to talk to Christ about my plans for the Starkey video. Maybe she will decide not to meet with me, which I think would be a shame. My idea is a bit off center, but could work out and could lead to a big promotional event for Cal football. Biggest problem is how to store the apparatus that will store the video electronics safely overnight. Only place to do that is in a heavily locked room inside of Memorial.

BTW, learned recently that Chancellor Christ's husband is a fairly recent governor of Florida, who lost his re-election attempt to De Santis.
eastcoastcal
Gobears49 said:

bearister said:

I really want to keep Madsen as I think we have a jewel of a coach that will rocket up our ranking next season. Still hoping to talk to Christ about my plans for the Starkey video. Maybe she will decide not to meet with me, which I think would be a shame. My idea is a bit off center, but could work out and could lead to a big promotional event for Cal football. Biggest problem is how to store the apparatus that will store the video electronics safely overnight. Only place to do that is in a heavily locked room inside of Memorial.

BTW, learned recently that Chancellor Christ's husband is a fairly recent governor of Florida, who lost his re-election attempt to De Santis.
wait, wasn't sure if you're serious and apologies if I'm missing a joke but she is not related to Charlie Crist, the former govorner of FL (though they do have similar last names!)
calumnus
eastcoastcal said:

Gobears49 said:

bearister said:

wait, wasn't sure if you're serious and apologies if I'm missing a joke but she is not related to Charlie Crist, the former govorner of FL (though they do have similar last names!)

Yes, Christ is her maiden name. Christ's late husband, Paul Alpers, was a scholar of Renaissance English literature and the founding director of Berkeley's Townsend Center for the Humanities until his death in 2013. She has two grown children, Jonathan and Elizabeth Sklute, from a previous marriage, as well as two grandchildren.
6956bear
01Bear said:

GoldenBasketBear said:

Madsen better be a great recruiter. And the collective needs to be very well funded. I have not been overly impressed by his actual game coaching. The team has clearly made strides over the past several seasons, but the poor way they close games is concerning.

These players that play the major minutes are veteran players. All in their 20's. Kennedy and Aimaq are in their 6th year. Cone is his fifth year. I did not expect the NCAA tournament, but I did believe the players experience would have paid off more than it has. They have 6 home losses. This includes UOP, Montana St., ASU, UW and UCLA. All mediocre or worse teams.

The P12 has exactly 1 really good team. Arizona. 3 or so pretty good teams. The league is very mediocre overall. Yet they are 6-7 (with 4 home losses) in conference and 10-14 overall at this point. The conference record likely gets much worse as they finish with 5 road games in their last 7.

Tyson has been fantastic. He almost certainly departs. If he stays he will cost. The collective will also be needed to pay for transfers. After the starting 5 there is very little talent on hand. Brown may develop. Newll is a bench player and he may decide to play at a lower level to try for starting minutes. Nobody else is P5 quality.

I think we find out just how good Madsen is starting March 17th when the portal opens. I love his energy, optimism and enthusiasm. But his actual coaching so far is not that impressive. This team given the experience they have in the starting group should not be 6-7 and 10-14.

In transfer portal we trust.
Gobears49
bearister said:

The Starkey statue is worth $1. The video is worth $39,999, especially if the Starkey's summary of The Play is included, starting with the line "the most amazing" and his line "there will be no extra point."

I'm just praying I get a short audience with Chancellor Christ to discuss my idea.
HoopDreams
6956, you're forgetting Celestine
mdbear
6956bear said:

01Bear said:

GoldenBasketBear said:

Madsen better be a great recruiter. And the collective needs to be very well funded. I have not been overly impressed by his actual game coaching. The team has clearly made strides over the past several seasons, but the poor way they close games is concerning.

These players that play the major minutes are veteran players. All in their 20's. Kennedy and Aimaq are in their 6th year. Cone is his fifth year. I did not expect the NCAA tournament, but I did believe the players experience would have paid off more than it has. They have 6 home losses. This includes UOP, Montana St., ASU, UW and UCLA. All mediocre or worse teams.

The P12 has exactly 1 really good team. Arizona. 3 or so pretty good teams. The league is very mediocre overall. Yet they are 6-7 (with 4 home losses) in conference and 10-14 overall at this point. The conference record likely gets much worse as they finish with 5 road games in their last 7.

Tyson has been fantastic. He almost certainly departs. If he stays he will cost. The collective will also be needed to pay for transfers. After the starting 5 there is very little talent on hand. Brown may develop. Newll is a bench player and he may decide to play at a lower level to try for starting minutes. Nobody else is P5 quality.

I think we find out just how good Madsen is starting March 17th when the portal opens. I love his energy, optimism and enthusiasm. But his actual coaching so far is not that impressive. This team given the experience they have in the starting group should not be 6-7 and 10-14.

mdbear
mdbear said:

6956bear said:

01Bear said:

GoldenBasketBear said:

I agree. I am pleased with the talent Madsen brought in and the enthusiasm he has brought to the program. We could not get much lower than we were last year with Fox. However, he has not proven much yet about his in-game coaching. Cuonzo Martin was also good at attracting talent and creating team effort, but Missouri spent a lot of money to find out that he is not a great coach. I am optimistic about Madsen, but the jury is still out.
6956bear
HoopDreams said:

I did not mention him by name, but I did say after the starting five there is not much depth on hand. Celestine starts.
HoopDreams
Got it

6956bear said:

HoopDreams said:

I did not mention him by name, but I did say after the starting five there is not much depth on hand. Celestine starts.
CNHTH
Cal88 said:

If Kerr retired next year (which some expect he will) and we are making noise in the acc (which in all reality we probably will be) do you really think the warriors won't come calling?
And better yet that madsen wouldn't accept an nba job with 4x the salary for his favorite team growing up?
stu
I'd guess Madsen would take any decent NBA job. And he'd be good at it since he relates well to players.
01Bear
CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

If Kerr retired next year (which some expect he will) and we are making noise in the acc (which in all reality we probably will be) do you really think the warriors won't come calling?
And better yet that madsen wouldn't accept an nba job with 4x the salary for his favorite team growing up?

I definitely hope Mark Madsen does well enough as Cal's coach to be poached by the Warriors or any NBA team.
75bear
01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

I definitely hope Mark Madsen does well enough as Cal's coach to be poached by the Warriors or any NBA team.
It would be a Steve Mariucci situation.
01Bear
75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

I doubt the NBA will be calling on Madsen based on this year. Don't get me wrong, Madsen has turned around the program faster than I thought he could/would. The team's also generally playing much better now than it did at the start of the season. That said, Madsen will be hard-pressed to get to .500 on the season. It's doubtful any NBA team would hire a sub-.500 coach from a weakened Pac-12 conference.

I do hope Madsen will build the team and lead it to much greater heights in the future, sufficient to warrant NBA teams sniffing around and wanting to poach him.
75bear
01Bear said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

I doubt the NBA will be calling on Madsen based on this year. Don't get me wrong, Madsen has turned around the program faster than I thought he could/would. The team's also generally playing much better now than it did at the start of the season. That said, Madsen will be hard-pressed to get to .500 on the season. It's doubtful any NBA team would hire a sub-.500 coach from a weakened Pac-12 conference.

I do hope Madsen will build the team and lead it to much greater heights in the future, sufficient to warrant NBA teams sniffing around and wanting to poach him.
The 49ers hired Mariucci with his 6-6 record at Cal, so never say never!

But yes, Madsen will probably need a better resume before getting hired as a NBA head coach - there are very few of those jobs.
Oakbear
bearister said:

Not sure if starkey wants to use the money for anything else
Big C
75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

Oh Lord, what with their great run being over, Kerr leaves the Warriors and, in something of a surprise move, they hire Madsen. I think I would cry.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.