Mad Dog Extension

3,356 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by calumnus
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
75bear said:

01Bear said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

I think Madsen is a keeper, but also probably not a job-hopper.

If Kerr retired next year (which some expect he will) and we are making noise in the acc (which in all reality we probably will be) do you really think the warriors won't come calling?
And better yet that madsen wouldn't accept an nba job with 4x the salary for his favorite team growing up?

I definitely hope Mark Madsen does well enough as Cal's coach to be poached by the Warriors or any NBA team.
It would be a Steve Mariucci situation.

I doubt the NBA will be calling on Madsen based on this year. Don't get me wrong, Madsen has turned around the program faster than I thought he could/would. The team's also generally playing much better now than it did at the start of the season. That said, Madsen will be hard-pressed to get to .500 on the season. It's doubtful any NBA team would hire a sub-.500 coach from a weakened Pac-12 conference.

I do hope Madsen will build the team and lead it to much greater heights in the future, sufficient to warrant NBA teams sniffing around and wanting to poach him.
The 49ers hired Mariucci with his 6-6 record at Cal, so never say never!

But yes, Madsen will probably need a better resume before getting hired as a NBA head coach - there are very few of those jobs.

Coaching in the NBA is different than coaching in college (though with NIL and the transfer portal they are more similar than ever). If an owner, GM or star player really likes Madsen he could get hired regardless of record or experience. We just can't worry about it.

The one to be concerned with is Stanford. Haase has had 8 years and has never gotten them to the NCAA Tournament . He finished over .500 in conference just once. He is a proven mediocrity, a good recruiter but poor motivator and poor game coach. If I am Stanford, I fire Haase and offer Madsen after this season.

I know most on this board would reflexively extend Madsen. Certainly that is what Knowlton will do with booster backing and we will see what Madsen does.

Personally, I would not get into a bidding war, I would not mind taking Stanford's money for him if he wants to go and then hiring again.
75bear
calumnus said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

If Kerr retired next year (which some expect he will) and we are making noise in the acc (which in all reality we probably will be) do you really think the warriors won't come calling?
And better yet that madsen wouldn't accept an nba job with 4x the salary for his favorite team growing up?

I definitely hope Mark Madsen does well enough as Cal's coach to be poached by the Warriors or any NBA team.

I doubt the NBA will be calling on Madsen based on this year. Don't get me wrong, Madsen has turned around the program faster than I thought he could/would. The team's also generally playing much better now than it did at the start of the season. That said, Madsen will be hard-pressed to get to .500 on the season. It's doubtful any NBA team would hire a sub-.500 coach from a weakened Pac-12 conference.

I do hope Madsen will build the team and lead it to much greater heights in the future, sufficient to warrant NBA teams sniffing around and wanting to poach him.

But yes, Madsen will probably need a better resume before getting hired as a NBA head coach - there are very few of those jobs.

Coaching in the NBA is different than coaching in college (though with NIL and the transfer portal they are more similar than ever). If an owner, GM or star player really likes Madsen he could get hired regardless of record or experience.
This is true, the NBA is such an old boys club.
Big C
calumnus said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

Coaching in the NBA is different than coaching in college (though with NIL and the transfer portal they are more similar than ever). If an owner, GM or star player really likes Madsen he could get hired regardless of record or experience. We just can't worry about it.

The one to be concerned with is Stanford. Haase has had 8 years and has never gotten them to the NCAA Tournament . He finished over .500 in conference just once. He is a proven mediocrity, a good recruiter but poor motivator and poor game coach. If I am Stanford, I fire Haase and offer Madsen after this season.

I know most on this board would reflexively extend Madsen. Certainly that is what Knowlton will do with booster backing and we will see what Madsen does.

Personally, I would not get into a bidding war, I would not mind taking Stanford's money for him if he wants to go and then hiring again.

You don't think, with all the brainpower in our Athletic Department, they structured Madsen's contract such that it would be almost impossible for Furd to make a successful run at him?

(trying to keep a straight face here... )
calumnus
Big C said:

calumnus said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

75bear said:

01Bear said:

CNHTH said:

Cal88 said:

You don't think, with all the brainpower in our Athletic Department, they structured Madsen's contract such that it would be almost impossible for Furd to make a successful run at him?

(trying to keep a straight face here... )

The key is Madsen deciding where he wants to be. I have been very happy with his embracing of all things Cal, but if he really would rather be at Stanford then I don't want to just buy his loyalty. Once he has done something at Cal, THEN he will deserve an extension.

The same should have been applied to Wilcox when he interviewed for the Oregon job. If he really wants to be at his alma mater (and honestly, most people do), take their money, wish him well and get to hiring someone new. If he wants to stay, great, but that in of itself does not warrant a raise and/or extension until he has produced results (winning conference record, upward momentum…) that warrant a raise and extension.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.