Pac 12 tourney seedings

3,133 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Big C
Johnfox
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know what are likely seeding is going to be?
RedlessWardrobe
Not 100% sure but I think we're stuck in the 8/9 game against not sure. Possbility of a 5 way tie for 5th through 9th and my guess is the tiebrakers leaves us 8th or 9th but not sure. Since I doubt the scenario results will be posted, after a couple of cups of coffee I will attempt to figure it out myself. In case it isn't obvious by now, I am a retired guy and don't have much of a life!
Gobears49
RedlessWardrobe said:

Not 100% sure but I think we're stuck in the 8/9 game against not sure. Possbility of a 5 way tie for 5th through 9th and my guess is the tiebrakers leaves us 8th or 9th but not sure. Since I doubt the scenario results will be posted, after a couple of cups of coffee I will attempt to figure it out myself. In case it isn't obvious by now, I am a retired guy and don't have much of a life!
Anyone know of the current probabilities that each Pac 12 team will win the Pac 12 tourney and whether they agree with me that Cal has to win the tourney to go the Dance?
bearsandgiants
Gobears49 said:

RedlessWardrobe said:

Anyone know of the current probabilities that each Pac 12 team will win the Pac 12 tourney and whether they agree with me that Cal has to win the tourney to go the Dance?

Not sure about probabilities but for the second part, anyone who disagrees with you about that one is a complete idiot.
dmoy
UCLA needs to defend home court and beat ASU for us to back into the 7-seed based on this simulator which seems to be accurate about tiebreakers. If ASU wins tomorrow, we're in the 8/9 game. Had WSU beat Washington yesterday, we would have been guaranteed the 7-seed.

https://bball.notnothing.net/pac12.php?sport=mbb
RedlessWardrobe
Thanks so much for posting that. I tried doing it myself but gave up with all of the possibilities. If its accurate then rooting for the Bruins makes sense, anything to avoid Arizona's bracket. We shall see. What threw me was the fact that Washington was 0-1 vs Arizona and we were 0-2, but I guess that's regarded as the same "percentage." If so, its a real break.
calumnus
RedlessWardrobe said:

Thanks so much for posting that. I tried doing it myself but gave up with all of the possibilities. If its accurate then rooting for the Bruins makes sense, anything to avoid Arizona's bracket. We shall see. What threw me was the fact that Washington was 0-1 vs Arizona and we were 0-2, but I guess that's regarded as the same "percentage." If so, its a real break.

Based on that I think we also want Arizona to beat USC, so we play ASU in the first round.
bearsandgiants
Feels like we had a rough start to the year but performed really well in conference, but our best case scenario is 7th out of 12. What a letdown the last 3 games was. Oh well. Just need a 4 game win streak.
Johnfox
If USC wins, they can slide up to 9 with a ASU loss. If ASU wins, they lock up 9 and USC locks up 10. Stanford will be 11 and OSU 12. Cal will either be the 7 or 8 seed. If anything, the 8 seed may be better as ASU had one of their best players quit and USC is hot.
Alkiadt
Johnfox said:

If USC wins, they can slide up to 9 with a ASU loss. If ASU wins, they lock up 9 and USC locks up 10. Stanford will be 11 and OSU 12. Cal will either be the 7 or 8 seed. If anything, the 8 seed may be better as ASU had one of their best players quit and USC is hot.

After losing tonight, Arizona will obliterate the winner of the 8-9 game. They will have something to prove.
calumnus
We need UCLA to beat ASU right now if we are going to avoid Arizona until the Finals.
SonomanA1
FS1 said we're the 7th seed since UCLA just beat ASU. Does anyone disagree? See you in Vegas.

Go Bears!
Alkiadt
SonomanA1 said:

FS1 said we're the 7th seed since UCLA just beat ASU. Does anyone disagree? See you in Vegas.

Go Bears!

Who's the 10th seed? I was lead to believe it's SC, (not Stanford) who nobody wants to play?
RedlessWardrobe
According to the link that was sent earlier in this thread, it should be Furd. Again, I'm not sure, I could easily be wrong.
HoopDreams
Cal finished regular season tied for 6th, but since Utah beat us in our only game, they are seeded 6 and we are seeded 7

7-10 seeds play in first round, which looks like Stanford
SonomanA1
We do play Stanford at 6 on Wed. I will be there. Who else is going?

Beat Stanford!
HoopDreams
calumnus
HoopDreams said:

Beat Stanford and we play WSU. We have beaten both. Go Bears!
Econ141
Couldn't have asked for a better path ... not that Im confident that we will but still. Hope the team rests up and has one more run in them.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
SFCityBear
calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

The reality is we beat both in very close games at Haas, and we were essentially blown out against both in road games at their arenas. But I like your optimism.
SFCityBear
6956bear
SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

The reality is we beat both in very close games at Haas, and we were essentially blown out against both in road games at their arenas. But I like your optimism.
Cal just needs to show up and play. The last 2 games were embarrassing to be perfectly candid. Lack of focus, intensity and pride.
oskidunker
6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Cal just needs to show up and play. The last 2 games were embarrassing to be perfectly candid. Lack of focus, intensity and pride.

Interesting. A projection showed us playing asu then Arizona last night. I have begun to lose interest. Shut up or put up. The players claim they have more work to do for something special. Hasn't happened yet. Some fun home games this year but the normal blow out road loses, especially at the fraud . Have they given up? We will see. Fraud is imminently beatable and plays poorly away from Maples. I see a close game with Cal winning if Cone has a good game. We have shown we can play well on the road but that was earlier in the year.
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Interesting. A projection showed us playing asu then Arizona last night. I have begun to lose interest. Shut up or put up. The players claim they have more work to do for something special. Hasn't happened yet. Some fun home games this year but the normal blow out road loses, especially at the fraud . Have they given up? We will see. Fraud is imminently beatable and plays poorly away from Maples. I see a close game with Cal winning if Cone has a good game. We have shown we can play well on the road but that was earlier in the year.

That is where we are now. It is the post season. A fresh start. None of the games to this point matter. Put up or shut up. Win or go home. Keep winning and we win the National Championship. Not saying we will, but there is a very good reason to get interested and root for Cal to win the next game until we don't.

Because I do think winning the PAC-12 Tournament (the official Championship) is a real possibility. Right now, Arizona, WSU and Colorado have less to play for. We are right there with the rest and can beat anyone if we play well.
oskidunker
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

That is where we are now. It is the post season. A fresh start. None of the games to this point matter. Put up or shut up. Win or go home. Keep winning and we win the National Championship. Not saying we will, but there is a very good reason to get interested and root for Cal to win the next game until we don't.

Because I do think winning the PAC-12 Tournament (the official Championship) is a real possibility. Right now, Arizona, WSU and Colorado have less to play for. We are right there with the rest and can beat anyone if we play well.

If we win our first game, the rest will be on fox sports 1. The good news. No stream freezing or stopping.
Go Bears!
oskidunker
oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

If we win our first game, the rest will be on fox sports 1. The good news. No stream freezing or stopping.

Tell us why you think we can win it with limited depth.
Go Bears!
calumnus
oskidunker said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

Number of players in coach's main rotation (Conf play only):

7 UCLA
8 Arizona, WSU, Colorado, Cal, ASU
9 UW, Utah, Oregon, Stanford
10 OSU, USC

The better teams do not play any deeper than we do, if we beat Stanford we have WSU, then theoretically Colorado and Arizona who also only play 8 deep. Maybe if a team like Oregon makes it to the Finals over Arizona, but THAT would be GOOD for us.

Not saying we are going to win it, but if we don't it won't be due to our lack of depth. We will win it or lose it based on the play of our starters and main 8 man rotation.
4thGenCal
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

7 UCLA
10 OSU, USC

The better teams do not play any deeper than we do, if we beat Stanford we have WSU, then theoretically Colorado and Arizona who also only play 8 deep. Maybe if a team like Oregon makes it to the Finals over Arizona, but THAT would be GOOD for us.

Not saying we are going to win it, but if we don't it won't be due to our lack of depth. We will win it or lose it based on the play of our starters and main 8 man rotation.
Sure hope you are right and I too believe winning 1-2 games is doable. However it is a stretch to say Cal goes 8 deep in the coach's main rotation. #6 player is a drop off in Newell at 18 min/game and total stats include: 8 assists, 0 blocks, 3.4 Reb/game and 31% on 3's. Then with #7 Brown and #8 Larson, a significant drop off in production. Brown: 14.5 minutes/game, just 3 steals, 24 Reb, 35% shooting (staff worried about his handles under pressure and defensive lapses). Larson at 4.7 min/game has just 12 Reb, 36 fouls, and get dominated physically despite great effort (He is committed to getting much stronger in off season).
The staff plays the top 5 guys as much as possible (fouls excepting, use of time outs etc) simply because the 7/8 guys are just not ready on a consistent basis.
Now if (big if) Cone takes higher % shots and makes them, Daws stays out of foul trouble and Tyson decides to shoot more/look to score (especially early on) and Keonte is not baited into taking long 3 point shots, this team will win vs Stanford and would have nearly a even chance of winning next game as well. Missing ND really hurts as the team does not have a capable big man back up currently. But heck - In a 40 minute game with the level of skill the first 5 have, its certainly possible to surprise. The first 5 have to play to their capabilities for Cal to advance.
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

7 UCLA
10 OSU, USC

We may play 8, but there are only 5 that are high contributors at this level at this stage in their careers. Hence why the top 4 or 5 play so many minutes.
Big C

Anything's possible and we're certainly capable of playing well, but what this is going to boil down to is us getting hot four games in a row and being lucky enough to have our opponents go cold and/or unmotivated... again, four games in a row.

But let's give it our best shot and see what happens.
SFCityBear
Big C said:

Anything's possible and we're certainly capable of playing well, but what this is going to boil down to is us getting hot four games in a row and being lucky enough to have our opponents go cold and/or unmotivated... again, four games in a row.

But let's give it our best shot and see what happens.
The odds against Cal, in my mind, are off the charts.

Two reasons (both already mentioned):

1. The lack of any quality depth beyond the first 5.

2. What you just said: four games in a row. Teams today rarely schedule 2 games back to back, and hardly ever 3 or 4 in a row.

Back in the '50s and '60s, ALL teams played most of their conference games back to back, so they at least were familiar with difficulty. Teams often were flat on the second game. Maybe they shot the lights out on Friday night, but on Saturday, the same players found there was a lid on the basket. The NCAA was played on back to back nights, Friday and Saturday for the Regionals, and then one week later, they played the Final Four on back to back nights. When the great Cal team of 1960 went to the Final Four, they played a hard fought game to beat Cincinnati and Oscar Robertson by a couple points, while Ohio State, with all the future NBA stars in Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Larry Siegfried, and Joe Roberts, easily coasted to a blowout win vs undermanned NYU. Their stars only played a handful of minutes in the 2nd half. They were as well rested as players could be, while Cal players were gassed when the played each other the following night. Result, blowout for OSU.

In today's game, the pace is faster, and the players seldom play back to back games, so they are not in shape for it. Newell's teams were probably always better conditioned than their opponents, because they ran up to Grizzly Peak and back on a regular basis. Do Cal's players run that hill anymore?

I think Cal can beat Stanford, because even though Haase recruits good players, he can't seem to get them to the NCAA. WSU has better players than Cal, is a better team than Cal, so a win for Cal is far less likely in that one. Win the 3rd game and more? Hardly a chance at all. Remember when Cal went down to San Juan Capistrano, and they played 4 games in 5 days? They lost all four, against 4 unranked teams. We have improved a lot since then, but so have other teams. We are 1 or 2 and out, at best, as I see it.

SFCityBear
calumnus
4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

7 UCLA
10 OSU, USC

Sure hope you are right and I too believe winning 1-2 games is doable. However it is a stretch to say Cal goes 8 deep in the coach's main rotation. #6 player is a drop off in Newell at 18 min/game and total stats include: 8 assists, 0 blocks, 3.4 Reb/game and 31% on 3's. Then with #7 Brown and #8 Larson, a significant drop off in production. Brown: 14.5 minutes/game, just 3 steals, 24 Reb, 35% shooting (staff worried about his handles under pressure and defensive lapses). Larson at 4.7 min/game has just 12 Reb, 36 fouls, and get dominated physically despite great effort (He is committed to getting much stronger in off season).
The staff plays the top 5 guys as much as possible (fouls excepting, use of time outs etc) simply because the 7/8 guys are just not ready on a consistent basis.
Now if (big if) Cone takes higher % shots and makes them, Daws stays out of foul trouble and Tyson decides to shoot more/look to score (especially early on) and Keonte is not baited into taking long 3 point shots, this team will win vs Stanford and would have nearly a even chance of winning next game as well. Missing ND really hurts as the team does not have a capable big man back up currently. But heck - In a 40 minute game with the level of skill the first 5 have, its certainly possible to surprise. The first 5 have to play to their capabilities for Cal to advance.

People are mixing issues. We have 3 players that play 30 or more minutes while schools like WSU and Colorado have 4 players that play 30 or more minutes. Most top coaches shorten their rotation and maximize minutes for their best players, their starters. In which case the impact of the subs is minimized and the quality of the guys that don't play is irrelevant.

Again, most of the top teams play their top players exactly as Madsen does: they maximize minutes for their starters. What matters will be the effectiveness of the starters plus the lesser minutes of the 2 or 3 subs who come in to give the starters breathers.

For example, Cone will play 30+ minutes, if he is hot from 3 we are tough to beat. "Depth" will not be a significant issue.
6956bear
4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

7 UCLA
10 OSU, USC

The team is capable of winning these games. The starting five do have the capability to play well enough for the team to advance. I was actually surprised by the lack of focus and engagement against Utah and Stanford in the last 2 games. The focus and energy have to return or they will be out in game one.

When they were winning prior to the final 3 games the team was playing strongly on defense and taking care of the ball. Those 2 things were missing much of the last 3 (final 2 in particular). The team has a relatively small margin for error. So they cannot turn the ball over so carelessing and they have to limit 2nd shots and close out the 3 point shooters.

And yes it would be a big help if Cone takes better shots. He tends to run hot or cold. It would be a good time for him to run hot. The crowd should have zero impact or very little. Stanford typically draws nobody to this tourney. Cal likley has more but far from a large group.

Nothing that happens in this tourney for Cal would surprise me. You would really like to be playing well when entering this tourney. Only Colorado and Arizona can really say that right now. Cal plays neither til round 3 at the earliest (Colorado).

RedlessWardrobe
SFCity, as usual a good post. But except for Thursday the consecutive game issue is minimized because it becomes a factor for all of the teams in the tournament. I know you mentioned that earlier we played 3 consecutive games and lost but those games were all close and we were without Kennedy. Trying to stay optimistic, lets hope this week we see more of our ceiling than our floor.
6956bear
calumnus said:

4thGenCal said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

oskidunker said:

calumnus said:

oskidunker said:

6956bear said:

SFCityBear said:

calumnus said:

HoopDreams said:

7 UCLA
10 OSU, USC

People are mixing issues. We have 3 players that play 30 or more minutes while schools like WSU and Colorado have 4 players that play 30 or more minutes. Most top coaches shorten their rotation and maximize minutes for their best players, their starters. In which case the impact of the subs is minimized and the quality of the guys that don't play is irrelevant.

Again, most of the top teams play their top players exactly as Madsen does: they maximize minutes for their starters. What matters will be the effectiveness of the starters plus the lesser minutes of the 2 or 3 subs who come in to give the starters breathers.

For example, Cone will play 30+ minutes, if he is hot from 3 we are tough to beat. "Depth" will not be a significant issue.
Agree that depth due to minutes played is less an issue than some think. Not zero but similar for most teams in this tourney. In game 2 should you get there you may have an edge in that you have played a game already and are more attuned to the shooting background etc.

Where the depth is a big concern IMO is foul troubles or injury. Few teams can afford to have their star players miss big minutes with fouls or an injury. Not having a bonifide reserve hurts when you lose a star for major minutes. How these games get called is always interesting. Typcially these tournaments let them play a little.

Cal should be well rested in that they did not play over the weekend. And frankly the energy expended at Utah and Stanford was poor.
Johnfox
If Cone gets going, no one is stopping us. He is the key to the offense. Daws, Tyson, Celestine, and Kennedy will get more looks with all the attention on Cone. But man, I'm hoping that Cone will be able to do that.

Something else to note, Cone has had struggles to make a three against Stanford. We need Aimaq and Tyson to start us off strong to open up the game.

4 games to win sounds like a lot, but if this team is playing like they did before these past 3 games, no one is stopping them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.