More Madsen

4,303 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Big C
KenBurnski
How long do you want to ignore this user?
westcoastdude
Smart move by Cal. Makes it much more costly for another school or NBA team to lure him away. Madsen did a very good job in his first season. Improvement in all aspects of the program and the fans finally have HOPE! Hopefully Stanfurd makes another terrible hire.
bearsandgiants
He may have already had an offer from the Furd as leverage. I hope to high holy hell this has proper language to compensate us if he's "bought out" by another entity, though, and have zero confidence that it does, with Knowlton involved. On its face, though, this is a solid move. Mad Dog forever!
Strykur
bearsandgiants said:

He may have already had an offer from the Furd as leverage.
I'm starting to think that Knowlton just likes to hand out big-ass contract extensions
Big C
bearsandgiants said:

He may have already had an offer from the Furd as leverage. I hope to high holy hell this has proper language to compensate us if he's "bought out" by another entity, though, and have zero confidence that it does, with Knowlton involved. On its face, though, this is a solid move. Mad Dog forever!

Uh oh... (as a long-time Cal Football and Basketball fan, I'm always watching out for worst-case scenarios)

Maybe he's using this "agreement to extend" as leverage when he goes back to talk to Furd. I'm hoping this agreement turns into something more solid ASAP!

EDIT: New release from Athletics says he has signed the extension... great news! Go Bears!
HearstMining
Strykur said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'm starting to think that Knowlton just likes to hand out big-ass contract extensions
Even a broken clock is correct twice a day!
Big Dog
HearstMining said:

Strykur said:

bearsandgiants said:

not if one (or both) of its 'hands' are broken.

calumnus
Strykur said:

bearsandgiants said:

Oh he does. Though I am sure Stanford is planning to fire Haase and has probably reached out. So this feels a lot like the last Wilcox extension, but since Madsen has less of a track record, he still may turn out to be a winning coach, so I'm OK with it.
RhetoricMajor
HearstMining
I'm fine with the extension. It's safe to assume one of Madsen's goals was to make Cal more attractive to recruits/transfers. Given the hell-hole that Cal basketball had become under He Who Shall Not Be Named, this was a tough thing to accomplish, but the vector is moving in the right direction. This season, the best he could do was to get good players who wanted to get major college exposure in their final year of eligibility (ok, Tyson actually has one more year). We'd all like to see more multi-year Cal players, if only to avoid the risk of early season losses as new players become accustomed to the system. We'll see what comes when the transfer window opens.

Who knows what Madsen's ceiling is, but if it's the same as the best of Ben Braun, I can live with that. Anything is better than the seasons under Wyking and . . . the other guy (who I'm convinced coached last season assuming his team was lousy and just daring the AD to fire him).
Pittstop
Big Dog said:

HearstMining said:

Strykur said:

bearsandgiants said:

not if one (or both) of its 'hands' are broken.

Depends on one's definition of "broken", I would guess. Like, "broken" OFF?
calumnus
Feels like Knowlton really jumped the gun (again).
01Bear
calumnus said:

I'm leaning in this direction, as well. Really need to know the details of the extension before I can comment, though.
calumnus
01Bear said:

calumnus said:

I'm leaning in this direction, as well. Really need to know the details of the extension before I can comment, though.

Given that it was done in-season in the first year of the contract, I am 99% sure it was just a 2 year extension of the existing 5 year contract. Anything else would have required renegotiating the existing contract and would have been an even bigger distraction for Madsen heading into the PAC-12 Tournament.

As I said when Knowlton extended Wilcox out 6 years after a losing season 2 years ago, it is a dumb move on Knowlton's part but we can only hope the coach makes him look like a genius.
4thGenCal
bearsandgiants said:

Yes the "buy out" provision was increased. I like the move/extension, early yes - but Madsen is special and given the challenges any coach faces at Cal, He has the energy/passion/people skills(connecting with donor's), street cred (amongst agents/advisors, recruits), player connection/on court motivation to develop and play hard for him. And thus to turn Cal into a winning program. Defined as a team that qualifies for March Madness post season at least twice every 4-5 seasons. The past two coaches put the program into life support mode and true progress (post season play) takes a minimum of three new recruiting classes. With prominent HC positions to be opening up, its smart to be aggressive with this very promising HC. To be clear - I am referring to basketball only.
bearsandgiants
4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

Yes the "buy out" provision was increased. I like the move/extension, early yes - but Madsen is special and given the challenges any coach faces at Cal, He has the energy/passion/people skills(connecting with donor's), street cred (amongst agents/advisors, recruits), player connection/on court motivation to develop and play hard for him. And thus to turn Cal into a winning program. Defined as a team that qualifies for March Madness post season at least twice every 4-5 seasons. The past two coaches put the program into life support mode and true progress (post season play) takes a minimum of three new recruiting classes. With prominent HC positions to be opening up, its smart to be aggressive with this very promising HC. To be clear - I am referring to basketball only.

I'm hoping we're on the cusp of revealing a fab-5 team of transfers and/or freshmen who've been sworn to silence as part of lucrative NIL deals, and that the entire team departing this week was part of Madsen's strategy to help them all save face by "entering the portal" on their terms. That would be a huge gamble, but would be nice.

Barring that, however, the optics suggest that something rotten caused a mass exodus. This was supposed the be the tightest group of guys ever, according to a Tyson presser. Surely a little hyperbole in that sentiment, but for the polar opposite to potentially be playing out seems more than a bit concerning.
Bobodeluxe
If I were seventy years younger, I would be hoping for a pony.
01Bear
bearsandgiants said:

4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

I'm hoping we're on the cusp of revealing a fab-5 team of transfers and/or freshmen who've been sworn to silence as part of lucrative NIL deals, and that the entire team departing this week was part of Madsen's strategy to help them all save face by "entering the portal" on their terms. That would be a huge gamble, but would be nice.

Barring that, however, the optics suggest that something rotten caused a mass exodus. This was supposed the be the tightest group of guys ever, according to a Tyson presser. Surely a little hyperbole in that sentiment, but for the polar opposite to potentially be playing out seems more than a bit concerning.

If they are as tight as claimed, it actually makes sense that with half the team expected to leave next year (due to graduation or moving on to the NBA) the remaining guys may want to look elsewhere.

That said, the younger guys also didn't really commit to Madsen, initially. They were Fox recruits. It's understandable that they may feel like they're not good firs in Madsen's system, especially if they were initially looking for a more Fox-ian system.

Still, I hope Newell and Brown both stay at Cal. I'm sure they can learn and develop into NBA-caliber players under Madsen's tutelage. For them to leave now would be terribly shortsighted; they could end up with teams without coaches who can develop them into NBA players.
Bobodeluxe
"[A] more Fox-ian system."

YIKES!
01Bear
Bobodeluxe said:

"[A] more Fox-ian system."

YIKES!

Agreed. I can't imagine anyone would like playing in Mark Fox's system. Then again, I couldn't imagine my exes would be happier without me than with me, yet here we are!
HKBear97!
4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

Yes the "buy out" provision was increased. I like the move/extension, early yes - but Madsen is special and given the challenges any coach faces at Cal, He has the energy/passion/people skills(connecting with donor's), street cred (amongst agents/advisors, recruits), player connection/on court motivation to develop and play hard for him. And thus to turn Cal into a winning program. Defined as a team that qualifies for March Madness post season at least twice every 4-5 seasons. The past two coaches put the program into life support mode and true progress (post season play) takes a minimum of three new recruiting classes. With prominent HC positions to be opening up, it's smart to be aggressive with this very promising HC. To be clear - I am referring to basketball only.

To be clear, is that three seasons to rebuild and then NCAA every two out of four or five years? Cause he didn't make it this year and I highly doubt it's happening next year. Just trying to understand the thought process.
6956bear
4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

This statement concerns me. Recruiting is so much different now than just a few seasons ago. NIL $$ has changed everything regarding recruiting. You need a robust annual warchest or you are just flat out screwed. My sense from what I have read on these boards is that the collective is still looking for NIL $$ for this recruiting class.

While trying to win you need players that can impact the record now. That takes NIL $$. Proven players cost. And now they can transfer multiple times before graduating. Players don't wait anymore. They run to the next shiny object.

I really like the things that you describe that makes Madsen unique. I hope you are right. But program building is not a thing really anymore. You need to win and win now. And you need to pay the players. If Cal does not win right away under Madsen I am very dubious they can attract the NIL $$ needed to grow the program. Or the fans needed to return Haas to the great home environment we know it is when full or nearly so.

It is just 3 days into the portal so he has time to get the right players here to be competitive next season. But even filling out your roster with bench players takes money. And right now Cal has 8 open slots and could be looking at a few more.

I am sure Madsen has a plan. I am just not sure there are enough resources, support or time to execute it.

calumnus
6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

This statement concerns me. Recruiting is so much different now than just a few seasons ago. NIL $$ has changed everything regarding recruiting. You need a robust annual warchest or you are just flat out screwed. My sense from what I have read on these boards is that the collective is still looking for NIL $$ for this recruiting class.

While trying to win you need players that can impact the record now. That takes NIL $$. Proven players cost. And now they can transfer multiple times before graduating. Players don't wait anymore. They run to the next shiny object.

I really like the things that you describe that makes Madsen unique. I hope you are right. But program building is not a thing really anymore. You need to win and win now. And you need to pay the players. If Cal does not win right away under Madsen I am very dubious they can attract the NIL $$ needed to grow the program. Or the fans needed to return Haas to the great home environment we know it is when full or nearly so.

It is just 3 days into the portal so he has time to get the right players here to be competitive next season. But even filling out your roster with bench players takes money. And right now Cal has 8 open slots and could be looking at a few more.

I am sure Madsen has a plan. I am just not sure there are enough resources, support or time to execute it.

Agreed. Times have changed, I hope everyone understands that.
4thGenCal
6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

All true - and ideally you mix in some solid freshman(who are 2-3 year likely commitments) to avoid the situation the Coach Madsen inherited and is facing this upcoming season. People didn't fully understand just how bad the roster was that Madsen inherited. Trying to change a losing culture with several hold overs is very difficult - with many issues to resolve/improve (NIL expectations, playing time, mentally giving into losses, when games are on the line and leads slip away etc). Hind sight always 20/20, but would have been better to have just kept Celestine and let all the others leave rather than persuade them to buy in to the new system/expectations/specific roles etc. NIL now has created locker room issues, unrealistic expectations of one's self worth etc. Ie Brown.
The amount of NIL monies needed and where it is today is a big delta. There are several of us stepping up, but no big Whales and even the #'s of the lower helpful amounts of just $5K-25K donations, are very low. Madsen is well aware of this (new job description) and is working around the clock to garner more support. The flip side is that there are plenty of players available who will improve the roster (compared to last season) and that given patience from the fan base/coupled with financial support, Madsen will produce a competitive post season playing program (defined as twice every 5 seasons as a minimum bar - starting with this upcoming season).
oskiswifeshusband
Is the barrier from those not willing or wanting to donate the big sums mostly have to do with the AD, is it more outlook of the program, or simply not interested in donating to NIL?
sosheezy
I think part of the exodus of middle to low end of the roster guys (including pieces we'd like to have kept/developed) is just the other side of the NIL coin. Whereas previously, some of those guys would have been grateful to just hang onto a Cal scholarship while getting zero/minimal NIL at Cal trading playing time elsewhere for a Cal degree and major conference roster spot, they can now get more NIL money and PT as a bigger fish at a mid-major/smaller school. To be frank, that part of roster management has to be part of the NIL strategy/management. How to maintain roster depth so that you aren't turning over 10 positions every year.
Big C
sosheezy said:

I think part of the exodus of middle to low end of the roster guys (including pieces we'd like to have kept/developed) is just the other side of the NIL coin. Whereas previously, some of those guys would have been grateful to just hang onto a Cal scholarship while getting zero/minimal NIL at Cal trading playing time elsewhere for a Cal degree and major conference roster spot, they can now get more NIL money and PT as a bigger fish at a mid-major/smaller school. To be frank, that part of roster management has to be part of the NIL strategy/management. How to maintain roster depth so that you aren't turning over 10 positions every year.

Agree. For some players, getting even say $50,000 in NIL is significant for them (and their families).
4thGenCal
oskiswifeshusband said:

Is the barrier from those not willing or wanting to donate the big sums mostly have to do with the AD, is it more outlook of the program, or simply not interested in donating to NIL?
The later - Some people who have the capability, simply don't endorse the NIL way of the college hoops era now. And to be fair some of those definitely donate in other ways to the University and or Cal Athletics. AD is not a deterrent here (technically the Dept's are not allowed to solicit, move monies toward a NIL/collective). Now our outgoing Chancellor is another story, toward her stance on being a verbal advocate and or taking the time to place a few needed calls. People close to the program, who have met Madsen, hear the feedback from players etc, are very bullish on Madsen leading the program. Many factors in play, but the big whales who can write a 7 figure check have not done so yet. And then even the large # of alums who support hoops either in attendance or are loyal to Cal sports thru following the team, have not donated at all (last season NIL or thus far into this recruiting season). So yes frustrating when nah sayers toss critiques etc, (and mostly justified) yet have not helped in the most important factor for success, to get the Cal basketball program to the winning levels we desire.
Its still early and the financial goal can be met, but its going to take a deeper alumni support (#'s donating and total amounts).
6956bear
4thGenCal said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

The later - Some people who have the capability, simply don't endorse the NIL way of the college hoops era now. And to be fair some of those definitely donate in other ways to the University and or Cal Athletics. AD is not a deterrent here (technically the Dept's are not allowed to solicit, move monies toward a NIL/collective). Now our outgoing Chancellor is another story, toward her stance on being a verbal advocate and or taking the time to place a few needed calls. People close to the program, who have met Madsen, hear the feedback from players etc, are very bullish on Madsen leading the program. Many factors in play, but the big whales who can write a 7 figure check have not done so yet. And then even the large # of alums who support hoops either in attendance or are loyal to Cal sports thru following the team, have not donated at all (last season NIL or thus far into this recruiting season). So yes frustrating when nah sayers toss critiques etc, (and mostly justified) yet have not helped in the most important factor for success, to get the Cal basketball program to the winning levels we desire.
Its still early and the financial goal can be met, but its going to take a deeper alumni support (#'s donating and total amounts).
There is time for sure. But not so sure it is early. The portal is open and while there will be many more players entering it would be nice for Madsen to be at the goal now or closer so he can speak confidently on that with interested players.

I agree with the frustration towards those that clearly can donate and say they are supporters but don't donate. The reality is without the donations Cal hoops will be trying to win with a roster less talented than optimal.

I am tapped out but appreciate the efforts by those that are working hard to get Cal back to being a competitve (winning) program.
OdontoBear66
6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

oskiswifeshusband said:

There is time for sure. But not so sure it is early. The portal is open and while there will be many more players entering it would be nice for Madsen to be at the goal now or closer so he can speak confidently on that with interested players.

I agree with the frustration towards those that clearly can donate and say they are supporters but don't donate. The reality is without the donations Cal hoops will be trying to win with a roster less talented than optimal.

I am tapped out but appreciate the efforts by those that are working hard to get Cal back to being a competitve (winning) program.
With the amount of losses we sustained we either need to sign or leak some positive info about where we are close in the portal. Otherwise, respectfully suffer the doubt....This has been a big kick in the you know where of late.
HKBear97!
4thGenCal said:

6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

All true - and ideally you mix in some solid freshman(who are 2-3 year likely commitments) to avoid the situation the Coach Madsen inherited and is facing this upcoming season. People didn't fully understand just how bad the roster was that Madsen inherited. Trying to change a losing culture with several hold overs is very difficult - with many issues to resolve/improve (NIL expectations, playing time, mentally giving into losses, when games are on the line and leads slip away etc). Hind sight always 20/20, but would have been better to have just kept Celestine and let all the others leave rather than persuade them to buy in to the new system/expectations/specific roles etc. NIL now has created locker room issues, unrealistic expectations of one's self worth etc. Ie Brown.
The amount of NIL monies needed and where it is today is a big delta. There are several of us stepping up, but no big Whales and even the #'s of the lower helpful amounts of just $5K-25K donations, are very low. Madsen is well aware of this (new job description) and is working around the clock to garner more support. The flip side is that there are plenty of players available who will improve the roster (compared to last season) and that given patience from the fan base/coupled with financial support, Madsen will produce a competitive post season playing program (defined as twice every 5 seasons as a minimum bar - starting with this upcoming season).
At the rate the roster is turning over, next year Madsen may have trouble matching this year's win total. This past year he pulled in a supposedly top-ten transfer class that took a long time to gel and then, even in a very down Pac-12 conference, they were mediocre. Now he has to replace nearly everyone and start all over in a tougher conference. So essentially you're getting a new starting five (four with Celestine) AND key rotation players, then having all of them ready to play in his system very quickly. I simly don't see it.

Credit to Madsen for getting that extension, cause he just bought himself some serious job security.

Johnfox
Does anyone have any insight as to when we will see the commits start coming? I'm just worried we don't have enough NIL to get players that are better than this years
oskidunker
Johnfox said:

Does anyone have any insight as to when we will see the commits start coming? I'm just worried we don't have enough NIL to get players that are better than this years

The players that left would not have helped us much next year. The rest are out of eligibility.last year Madsen did not have much time to recruit. Lets see what he does with more time.Tyson may stay, we might get a better center and point guard which could make the rest of the players better.
Go Bears!
parentswerebears
Like I said, I am looking forward to Madsen's magic.
PtownBear1
HKBear97! said:

4thGenCal said:

6956bear said:

4thGenCal said:

bearsandgiants said:

At the rate the roster is turning over, next year Madsen may have trouble matching this year's win total. This past year he pulled in a supposedly top-ten transfer class that took a long time to gel and then, even in a very down Pac-12 conference, they were mediocre. Now he has to replace nearly everyone and start all over in a tougher conference. So essentially you're getting a new starting five (four with Celestine) AND key rotation players, then having all of them ready to play in his system very quickly. I simly don't see it.

Credit to Madsen for getting that extension, cause he just bought himself some serious job security.

I think his job was secure regardless with our absentee AD. See Wilcox. Also, it took the worst season in Cal history to finally get rid of Fox. I can't imagine Madsen would ever sink that low, but high single digit wins next year seems likely at this point unless Madsen is given some massive $$$ to work with.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.