Grant Newell in the Portal

10,317 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Alkiadt
Johnfox
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Brown Jr, Curtis, Pavlovic, and Celestine are the only scholarship players left. Madsen has a TON of open spots to work with.
3Cats4CAL
The little i saw of Pavlovic didn't seem very good. Newell was still not good enough to start, inconsistent, sometimes didn't hustle, more interested in new hairstyles.
DWM81
Newell would have been in the rotation next year. A loss...
OdontoBear66
DWM81 said:

Newell would have been in the rotation next year. A loss...
If he was we would have been in trouble...First off the bench maybe....Too many mistakes
Big C

I would be curious as to the back story on his leaving. Pretty decent player, with potential. He needed to get better, to ratchet up the intensity on both ends of the court. I was hoping he would do that as a Bear, but if not, oh well...
barsad
4 players left, only one of them (Celestine) with any chance of starting. Feels pretty dismal right now, but I suppose we still must trust in Madsen's recruiting skills.
I have to admit I didn't expect 2/3 of the roster to just disappear before the tournament started… is this just where we are in college basketball now, we switch out a whole starting roster every year? If it is, I really don't like it at all.
6956bear
Johnfox said:

Brown Jr, Curtis, Pavlovic, and Celestine are the only scholarship players left. Madsen has a TON of open spots to work with.
He does have a lot of open schoalrships for sure. But really only Celestine and Brown along with the incoming frosh PG figure to really be in the plans for next season. Pavlovic is not an ACC player. Curtis is likely not one next year. Maybe the year after.
RedlessWardrobe
Just my two cents. Really a bit confused on Grant leaving. Even he would see that next year he starts and plays more minutes. I guess it's a NIL thing.
Shocky1
^ wrong
6956bear
RedlessWardrobe said:

Just my two cents. Really a bit confused on Grant leaving. Even he would see that next year he starts and plays more minutes. I guess it's a NIL thing.
I think he was told by the staff that they are looking for players that play his position. That nothing is guaranteed. Players want to play and get paid. Grant has a chance to start fresh elsewhere and perhaps get more minutes.

So far Cal has lost nobody that is a difference maker. Until proven otherwise I will believe Madsen has a plan and expects to upgrade the roster talent. Not sure Newell was pushed out but I doubt they are heartbroken he has decided to test the portal.

If Cal is to win then you can no longer stay the course with ordinary talent. Players almost always feel they are better than how the staff feels. And have support groups (family, AAU and HS coaches etc) that are telling them they are better than they are.

Players are often the least self aware.
BC Calfan
Grant looked lost all season. He seemed to be constantly overthinking which made him a step slow at all times. Like his defensive lapse against Washington which allowed the game-winning 3.

I do think he has potential. He has a great frame and feet for a college power forward. But his issues appear to be mental and for that reason maybe a fresh start is best for him.
3Cats4CAL
That sounds likely. Do you think that Okafor also entered for the same reason? If they brought in another center, he would at least start before Larson.
6956bear
3Cats4CAL said:

That sounds likely. Do you think that Okafor also entered for the same reason? If they brought in another center, he would at least start before Larson.
Don't know for sure what Cal is looking for at center. But I think they would like a rim protector. Teams had their way against Cal in the paint and at the rim. We all saw how intimadated Aimaq was against the shot blockers like Dante or Bona. Nearly every team of note in the P12 this season had not just a little better rim and paint protection, but really a lot better.

Active mobile post players are in demand though. So it will cost.
RedlessWardrobe
Shocky1 said:

^ wrong
good thing it only cost me two cents.
BBIGN
Care to elaborate?
Bobodeluxe
If the team gets better as each member enters the portal, the UC Berkeley Bears are on the way to The Dance next year.
OdontoBear66
Bobodeluxe said:

If the team gets better as each member enters the portal, the UC Berkeley Bears are on the way to The Dance next year.
Glad I'm getting really, really old....Reading "the UC Berkeley Bears" is enough make one ill.
Bobodeluxe
An inspirational story of perseverance in an unjust world.

"Wade ranks 11th in win percentage among all active coaches with 10 years of head coaching experience. The names ahead of him? Mark Few, Bill Self, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, John Becker, Tony Bennett, Sean Miller, Thad Matta, Randy Bennett and Tom Izzo. The difference? Wade is 41. The rest of that group averages 61.2 years old. Wade is 13 years younger than the youngest name on the list (Bennett, 54)."
Big C

Lots and lots of possible reasons for Newell's likely departure:

- feels like he's being recruited over
- thinks the staff undervalues him
- got yelled at for his lack of intensity and he's a sensitive individual
- not an academic "fit"
- didn't feel like he fit in well with some other players and/or staff members
- doesn't feel comfortable in Berkeley/NorCal or misses something about his home area

And more. Maybe somebody around here knows more, but I do not. But I do know two things... 1) he's good enough to play for us, especially if he keeps improving... and... 2) he's not so good that he can't be replaced.

We're going to be fine. Madsen's making an omelet. Some eggs are going to be cracked.
bipolarbear
Big C said:

Lots and lots of possible reasons for Newell's likely departure:

- feels like he's being recruited over
- thinks the staff undervalues him
- got yelled at for his lack of intensity and he's a sensitive individual
- not an academic "fit"
- didn't feel like he fit in well with some other players and/or staff members
- doesn't feel comfortable in Berkeley/NorCal or misses something about his home area

And more. Maybe somebody around here knows more, but I do not. But I do know two things... 1) he's good enough to play for us, especially if he keeps improving... and... 2) he's not so good that he can't be replaced.

We're going to be fine. Madsen's making an omelet. Some eggs are going to be cracked.
Can't make a Tomlette without breaking some Gregs.
KenBurnski
BPB slashing to the hoop with an ELITE reference.
Bobodeluxe
Three g's in Greggs.
01Bear
BC Calfan said:

Grant looked lost all season. He seemed to be constantly overthinking which made him a step slow at all times. Like his defensive lapse against Washington which allowed the game-winning 3.

I do think he has potential. He has a great frame and feet for a college power forward. But his issues appear to be mental and for that reason maybe a fresh start is best for him.

IMHO, Grant was improving throughout the season. The game was slowing down a bit for him. Also, I'm glad he's a thoughtful player. Those are the guys who can study film, be coached up, and improve. Guys who just play on pure instinct rarely improve.

I really hope Grant comes back to Cal next year after looking at other schools. This is especially true if the NBA is Grant's goal. I truly believe Madsen can develop him into a NBA-caliber player. I can't say that about many other college coaches.
HKBear97!
Johnfox said:

Without knowing the details here, this and Brown are a big loss. Both looked like solid contributors going forward.

Boy, all these departures remind me of our last coach! Could this be Fox 2.0?
Johnfox
Newell, Brown Jr, Okafor, and Askew are not going to be great players in the ACC. Madsen is the opposite of fox, push them out and get better ones.
stu
Johnfox said:

Newell, Brown Jr, Okafor, and Askew are not going to be great players in the ACC. Madsen is the opposite of fox, push them out and get better ones.
I haven't seen Brown play enough to be sure of that.
Intuit
Brown was the beneficiary of effective publicity and received an abundance of sports caster's hype. In my view he received much more praise than was justified by his play.

His regular mistakes and flubs were overlooked or excused because he represented the only playable backcourt or wing substitute available to the coaching staff.
Harborview
concernedparent
Intuit said:

Brown was the beneficiary of effective publicity and received an abundance of sports caster's hype. In my view he received much more praise than was justified by his play.

His regular mistakes and flubs were overlooked or excused because he represented the only playable backcourt or wing substitute available to the coaching staff.
Sportscaster hype? More like hype from his coach and teammates who see him in practice all the day. He wasn't ready for the game but he was a freshman with traits that are not easily replaced: length, shooting touch, and flashes of some other scoring skills. He's probably one of the few guys on the team Madsen would've wanted to hold onto.
Johnfox
Monty Bowser will enter the portal
parentswerebears
Not really surprised by that. Now all of Fox's recruits are gone.
89Bear
Johnfox said:

I don't know that Madsen is pushing them out, but the professional coach in him probably has him being really honest about what he sees moving forward with them.
Oakbear
89Bear said:

but the professional coach in him probably has him being really honest about what he sees moving forward with them.
let us hope that is the reason and it isn't because they have lost faith in him

just about changing the entire roster, that is not an easy thing to pull off
parentswerebears
This rebuild is going to be really interesting. I am looking forward to seeing what Madsen can do here. 10 roster spots to fill… unless he somehow keeps Tyson. Huge ask.
Oakbear
parentswerebears said:

This rebuild is going to be really interesting. I am looking forward to seeing what Madsen can do here. 10 roster spots to fill… unless he somehow keeps Tyson. Huge ask.
interesting, but as we basically have "pro" college sports, if the NIL is there, Tyson might be better served reuping??
3Cats4CAL
Who recruited Celestine? Do you think he will stay??
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.