Cal rejects NIT?

2,163 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by parentswerebears
Econ141
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is this true?

Not really that surprised given the departures.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
Bobodeluxe
Go Utes! Carry that PAC12 banner!
DWM81
Cal cannot even field a team with all the transfers out...
Big C
DWM81 said:

Tyson does it all! After that, Celestine + Curtus + Larson + the three walkons. Then hold a campus-wide tryout for the five remaining spots. Hype the hell out of it and parlay that attention into more good fortune down the road. Nowadays, no publicity is bad publicity.
calumnus
DWM81 said:

We don't have any starters transferring out and those that are haven't left yet. You'd think the seniors might like a go of it.
6956bear
calumnus said:

DWM81 said:

We don't have any starters transferring out and those that are haven't left yet. You'd think the seniors might like a go of it.
Pretty good group of programs that apparently told the NIT no. Just shows you how important the transfer portal is. The NCAA tournament is the goal. If you are not in that tournament doing everything possible to find the needed players so you will be is essential.

oskidunker
My guess is Madsen asked thevteam and the vote was no.
Go Bears!
oskidunker
oskidunker said:

My guess is Madsen asked thevteam and the vote was no.

They need to expand the ncaa and get rid of the nit.
Go Bears!
Bobodeluxe
They watched a replay of the sheet show the Con put on the last time hosting an NIT game, and were too embarrassed.
ncbears
"...the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men's basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of win-loss record, will be selected."
https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/27/media-center-nit-announces-changes-to-tournament-selection-format.aspx

So after the NCAA selections, the NIT invites for the Pac12 would have been from this list i this order:
Utah (48) accepted
Washington (69) Note: Oregon was 59 and so unlikely to have been in NCAA without the conference championship
USC (88)
UCLA (107)
Stanfurd (113)
Cal (128)
ASU (134)
OSU (165)
oskidunker
Probably Madsen wants to use the time for recruiting. Cone and Daws probably would have played.Not sure about Tyson. That may have been the deciding vote.

I would have enjoyed going to a game but understand the decision.
Go Bears!
stu
oskidunker said:

Probably Madsen wants to use the time for recruiting. Cone and Daws probably would have played.Not sure about Tyson. That may have been the deciding vote.

Then come to the women's WBIT game against Hawai'i Thursday at 7PM in Haas!
HoopDreams
Agree. Anyone who still wants to see Cal basketball should go to the Women's WBIT which has much better teams than the Men's NIT

Maybe a good chance to see your first Cal WBB game?

If anyone needs tixs let me know

stu said:

oskidunker said:

sycasey
It's really dumb that the portal opens before the postseason tournaments are done. Basically encourages this kind of thing.
bluehenbear
Just like bowl games for football.
oskidunker
HoopDreams said:

Agree. Anyone who still wants to see Cal basketball should go to the Women's WBIT which has much better teams than the Men's NIT

Maybe a good chance to see your first Cal WBB game?

If anyone needs tixs let me know

stu said:

oskidunker said:

I dont enjoy womens basketball. I tried .
Go Bears!
BearSD
sycasey said:

It's really dumb that the portal opens before the postseason tournaments are done. Basically encourages this kind of thing.

Indiana State's team is in the NIT and their coach has spent the last few days negotiating with St Louis U about taking their head coaching position. Coaches do this before the tournament is done; players should be able to do the same.
Cal88
BearSD said:

sycasey said:

Indiana State's team is in the NIT and their coach has spent the last few days negotiating with St Louis U about taking their head coaching position. Coaches do this before the tournament is done; players should be able to do the same.

There's no reason for the portal being this early, as the next academic term isn't till Fall. The players that want to leave can wait till April.
BearSD
Cal88 said:

BearSD said:

sycasey said:

There's no reason for the portal being this early, as the next academic term isn't till Fall. The players that want to leave can wait till April.
You think players, but not coaches, should have to wait.
parentswerebears
I think you are good to go when you are done. Coaches and players.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.